Skyrim physical copies have no data on the discs

Arluza

Jan 24, 2011
One of my acquaintances got the PC copy of Skyrim today. He already knew that he wouldn't be able to play until Friday, but he looked on the disc anyway to see if he could install any of it. The answer is no. All in the disc is a small bit of code redirecting to Steam so you can download all of the game from there.

I am kinda pissed about this. I paid $150 for the CE of the game and I want to be able to install from the disc (A La Deus Ex: Human Revolution) because it is a LOT faster. I guess I am a little lucky to not have it coming to me until the 12th, because by then I expect I might be able to download it from Steam by the time it gets here. Those servers will be too full and wouldn't see me anyway.Just thought I'd tell you guys.

I know for some of you, it doesn't matter at all. But this type of thing aggravates me a bit.

EDIT: I leave for two days and the thread has over 10K views? So some on this thread (and /r/skyrim) the data was encrypted and hidden. So it seems we will be allowed to install from the disc. Sorry for the panic.

So_So_Man

May 2, 2011
dammit, that means I need to find somewhere with fast internet when I get it at midnight...

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
Well frak. If true, this is really going to upset a friend of mine in NZ. They have a download cap, and Skyrim would chew hers up like a pack of wolves on a steak.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Wow that fucking sucks. I came in here thinking it would be a factory mistake so at least it's not as bad as I originally thought. Glad I bought this one for 360.

Aethren

Jun 6, 2009
I have a feeling the game data will be on the disks of the games sent out for release day.

GabeTheOptimist

Nov 9, 2011
That made me laugh a bit. Sorry.

I really have no problem with that, as I was planning on getting mine on steam anyway. I can see how that would be aggravating especially for people with slow Internets.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
god damn.. if i remember correctly skyrim will require at least a 6gb download.. given how busy it will be on release and my slow connection no way am i going to get playing on day of release now -.-
why the hell do they think im buying a physical copy for?

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
I can't remember ever seeing something like that before.

No disrespect, but i'd have to see some hard evidence before I went off and raged, which I will probably do if true.

If true, hopefully by the time I get around to buying it (which coincidentally will be around the time Bethesda get rid of the inevitable major bugs) the server load will be less so I won't be waiting days for it.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Console gaming for da win!

OT: But seriously, that sucks. The Steam servers are going to be very busy come 11/11/11.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Wow. They may as well just give you a floppy disk with "Skyrim" written on it in Sharpie to save on the price for the CD.

So I see little reason to buy it in stores, if I'm just going to have to slowly download it from Steam anyway.

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
I got it for the 360 so I won't be having this problem, but that seems really shitty of Bethesda, or whoever distributing the discs.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
ALL of it?

well damn, makes me almost happy I jumped ship (not that Im geting skyrim..because Im not)

Jasper Jeffs

Nov 22, 2009
What the fuck? I'd be more pissed but I actually saved £5 and contributed to my account's loyalty meter thing, what I don't get is how I'm saving £5+ for buying something physical. How the fuck does this work? Since when does data cost more than all the materials used in making the case, handbook, disc etc and the shipping? THE INTERNET IS TAKING OVER, THE END IS NIGH.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Somonah said:
People still buy PC games from stores?

EDIT- i bet the people who buy PC games from RL shops also have VHS players, a CRT monitor and music on cassettes.
...what? Of course they do, we don't all have fast internet, and for many of us, driving out to the store is much, much faster and less of a hassle than downloading a game, for me a game of about 12 gb would take me at least a day, if not more depending on how my download speed decides to behave that day

zacman5001

Mar 1, 2011
Somonah said:
I get most of my games from steam, But there's no way I'm downloading 5Gb+ games if I don't have to. Canadian ISP's have low download caps.

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
Ok... Ok... Just gotta keep cal-WHAT THE FUCK! Seriously, as a college student who does not have lots of bandwidth at my disposal 24 hours a day, I was really hoping to get a physical copy of the game to
A) be able to install the game from the disk rather than need to rely on my schools shoddy internet
and B) to get a kick ass poster map to hang next to my map of Cyrodiil and the Shivering Isles.
This kind of thing just really grinds my gears to no end.

falcon1985

Aug 29, 2009
Somonah said:

EDIT- i bet the people who buy PC games from RL shops also have VHS players, a CRT monitor and music on cassettes.
Nope, I ordered a physical copy online for the cool map I get with it. I was gonna order it on steam if not for that.