Skyrim physical copies have no data on the discs

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Sounds like a Steamworks encryptor for the disc. You just have to download the Steamworks key when it goes live. Without using other tools to check this sort of thing (hey, don't look at me that way. I used to fix computer systems for a living), then yes, Winduhs would gleefully report that there's no data on the disc.

And it could easily be lying. You can read-protect and hide files with tricks.
(this is why I have a Knoppix boot to check this shit; you can't hide much from it without editing the user shell)

Whoracle

Jan 7, 2008
Oh please, can't just 2 people from the "No, not true" camp go, md5 their discs and compare sums, and then compare with the md5 of OPs friends disc?

That'd shut up the discussion quite nicely.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Somonah said:
People still buy PC games from stores?

EDIT- i bet the people who buy PC games from RL shops also have VHS players, a CRT monitor and music on cassettes.
Well the collector's edition comes with an art book, a map, and a large, pvc dragon. Good luck downloading your statue there.

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
I like to maintain a collection of pretty boxes and make sure that when the internet goes off, I can install new or old games.

ultratog1028

Mar 19, 2010
I know it is unheard of nowadays, but what if by some chance someone got skyrim without an Internet connection?

Dylan Sowers

Jan 10, 2011
You'd better hope you wished for faster internet on 11/11/11 ladies and gents. I feel eternally bad for all of the people who have download restrictions in countries like New Zealand. My condolences for all of you. :p

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Somonah said:

EDIT- i bet the people who buy PC games from RL shops also have VHS players, a CRT monitor and music on cassettes.
...Are you serious? Its actually faster for me to go out to a shop and buy a game than to download it sometimes and it means I can get my games without strangling the connection for other people.

I already got a warning from my provider because I download far to many games off steam, its...

Just, what dude?

OT:

Man, that actually really sucks if its true. I have a feeling its not however. My skepticism sense it tingling a fair bit.

Prosis

May 5, 2011
More importantly, if this is true, I don't think the problem is that there is no data on the disc. The main problem is the fact that THEY DIDN'T SAY THERE WAS NO DATA.

In other words, the publisher trying to pull a fast one on its customer base. They're selling blank discs which do allow users to obtain the game, but it forces the customer to use Steam, which wasn't listed as a system requirement. It should state in system requirements that Internet access and Steam are required to play.

I can understand companies doing this, but for a game that is going to sell a billion copies anyway, it seems like they're just begging for some pretty bad press.

That's only if its true though. Personally, I think the topic poster's friend is lying, or his friend got screwed over.

EDIT: Seems like the poster's friend is lying. Pulling this from page 5

AngloDoom said:
For God?s sake, Harry!

distortedreality said:
People should at least read down the first page instead of exploding at rage at the first post and then commenting.

TLDR - OP is wrong.
Indeed, then people might actually have noticed...

Caniroth said:
This is not true, I've got the Skyrim DVD as well, and it has data on it, it just won't let you install it untill 11-11-11 (it checks with Steam though, but you won't have to download it, well, maybe you'll have to download a patch :) ).
Vergial said:
...I'm having a hard time believing just how dense almost everyone in this thread is.

He has the game before launch.

It's a Steam game.

BEFORE LAUNCH.

STEAM GAME.

Is this helping anyone make the connection? At all?

For those still quite slow: The disc has data to check with Steam to see if the game is actually released. If it is not, nothing happens. If it IS, the install can proceed. Steam has done this for MULTIPLE games to avoid the pre-launch gameplay silliness.

Christ. My IQ dropped just looking at this thread.
DRes82 said:
Its just not true. All the copies at gamestop have many gigabytes of data on the disks.

Your friend is lying to you.
DRes82 said:
Its just not true. All the copies at gamestop have many gigabytes of data on the disks.

Your friend is lying to you.
skullduggery said:
Holy shit people, don't believe everything you read.

They got a physical copy *before* game release. How? What does your "friend" do to get this? How could you download it before release, even if that was true? Why would Bethsoft send you a completely worthless DVD?

I call shenanigans on this.
Aethren said:
This thread: Proof that members of The Escapist are the easiest group on the internet to troll, as they're too damn lazy to read the entire thread, reading only the first post and believing it as fact.

10/10 OP, it's like stealing candy from a fetus.
ExiledPaladin13 said:
I'm pretty sure it we wont be DLing the WHOLE game from steam, it might just be like Battlefield 3's installation where it "Downloads" aka installs from steam with the data from the disk.

If what I said will be true then some people will be surprised seeing their DL going at 11MBs per second =]
Better now, Escapist?

Kris015

Some kind of Monster
Feb 21, 2009
distortedreality said:
Kris015 said:
distortedreality said:
Kris015 said:
Just fucking great. I don't have any more space on the HDD where i keep steam -.-
Even if you install it from a disc, it still needs to go where Steam does...
What do you mean? I bought retail. I have 3 HDDs so if it didn't use steam I'd just install it on another one.
Akaik it's a steamworks title, which means it installs where all your other steam games are.
Yeah.. I'm aware of that.

SyphonX

Coffee Bandit
Mar 22, 2009
Hrm, I'm not so sure about this.

I wonder what would happen if you went offline or firewalled Steam when you try to use the disc. Maybe it just prioritizes a 'Day 1 Install' to get that release-day patch going clean.

We'll see. Normally I wouldn't be -that- miffed about something like this, but right now... as I speak, I am having connectivity issues with my cable, and a tech is coming out today. If it isn't fixed before Friday, than I'll have to download for about 8-12 hours AFTER I get the game in the mail. Man.

[Edit] Okay, so it just works like release-day activation. Thats kinda what I figured.

DustinOffAClassic

Oct 20, 2011
May as well just sell some sort of download ticket/code in stores or something, then. It's pretty deceptive that you would involve a disc at all if the game isn't even on it.

Gill Kaiser

Sep 3, 2008
Kris015 said:
distortedreality said:
Kris015 said:
distortedreality said:
Kris015 said:
Just fucking great. I don't have any more space on the HDD where i keep steam -.-
Even if you install it from a disc, it still needs to go where Steam does...
What do you mean? I bought retail. I have 3 HDDs so if it didn't use steam I'd just install it on another one.
Akaik it's a steamworks title, which means it installs where all your other steam games are.
Yeah.. I'm aware of that.
...then your previous posts don't make much sense.

For a Steamworks title there is functionally no difference between buying a physical disk and buying the game on Steam, except that you can bypass the download itself by installing from the disk. In all other aspects it's the same as buying it digitally... the game installs in the Steam directory, it unlocks on Steam and becomes available for re-download from Steam whenever you wish, and it opens through Steam.

Troy Freeman

Nov 10, 2011
hey i just got my hard copy of skyrim, the game disc is only 5.10gig...there has to be atleast another 5gig for the game to be complete i would assume...i think they have done this to stop us form hacking and playing it today 10/11/11

^thats the truth

but i have a question...every time i press pre-load game it tries to download 5.6gig is this the same dada thats on my disc? or is it the rest of the game?? i cannot seem to get it do pre-load from disc

Clinton Wheeler

Nov 10, 2011
Yes i can confirm there is ovewr 5 gigs of data on the dvd, you just cannot install it for another 6 hours from now. so stop worrying.

Insanity72

Feb 14, 2011
Baresark said:
Insanity72 said:
Baresark said:
Somonah said:

There was originally talk of a cloth map, which was revealed to be lie.
Umm...do you have a source that says the premium map is a lie? Because i have not been able to find one article, blog or announcement stating that it's a lie.

Bethesda has stated that the Premium map will be made of a similar material to Burlap
It will apparently be a paper material that feels similar to burlap. It was tweeted on that guys (his name escapes me at this time) twitter account. The guy from Bethesda... damn, and I can't find his name. It's not just going to be plain paper, no worries about that.
Ahh yes, i see, i got the game today (although can't play it yet since i got it for PC.....) the material is almost like a fine hardened burlap, well that's the best way i can describe it