Skyrim puts Dragon Age to shame

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
youll remember that DA2 only came out about 16 months after Origins. Skyrim has been being worked on for at least 4 years. also, Bethesda has has been able to improve on the Elder Scrolls series in its current form ever since Morrowind. i bet even Fallout 3 helped them out with developing Skyrim.

i dont play either series, but it seems to me that they arent very similar. it seems odd to put them against each other.

TheCowman

Oct 22, 2011
Don't games have to come out fairly close to each other to be direct competition. I mean, DA2 might've come out in 2011, but its been out for ages. (pun intended :D ) People aren't really making a choice over whether to buy DA2 or Skyrim.

As for the lack of dragons; well, as someone pointed out, Dragon Age has never really been about hunting down dragons. Even in Origins, the Arch-Demon technically wasn't even a dragon. With Skyrim's focus being on killing dragons to gain powers, I'd be surprised if it DIDN'T have more dragons in it.

As for a simple comparison; well, peronally it's hard for ME to compare them sense I like different things about each. I love Skyrim's huge open world and freedom to roam about as you wish. I also enjoy the flexibility of the leveling system.

Dragon Age 2 I love for the story and characters. I like the fast combat and unique visual style.

Gun to my head, I'd probably have to choose Dragon Age 2 as the game I'D prefer. But then that's MY preference, which has no bearing on your's or anyone else's.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
otakon17 said:
You should change your title a little, add "2" after Dragon Age. Nearly EVERYONE feels that Dragon Age 2 was an inferior game to the original. Especially me since I paid for ANOTHER Archer and didn't even get the achievements for using him OR enjoy his personality/story whatsoever.

OT: Dragon Age is just a name, dragons are pretty rare in that world and they are tough to kill. I'm thankful we didn't have to fight them more than a half-dozen times at most, they were some of the hardest battles the first time through.
You make a good point, the dragons in DA can be frikkin tough, especially if you dont know what you're doing.. and the first time you meet one you're probably going to die... In Skyrim however im seeing a Dragon probably once every hour or two, and i can kill them in about 4-5 hits with my bow, without taking damage.. considering dragons are supposed to be a world ending threat, i think DA actually did a better job with its dragons, so given that the OP is comparing DA to Skyrim pretty much on the inclusion of dragons, i'd actually say DA wins.

Vindictus

Apr 3, 2010
This is almost exactly like comparing COD to BF3.

Skyrim is an open world RPG where you walk around and do what you want (for the most part). Dragon Age is a focused, story driven RPG where you go where the game wants you to in order to tell a story. Roughly the same genre, completely different games.

I enjoy both immensely, for the record.

Vindictus

Apr 3, 2010
Ilikemilkshake said:
otakon17 said:
You should change your title a little, add "2" after Dragon Age. Nearly EVERYONE feels that Dragon Age 2 was an inferior game to the original. Especially me since I paid for ANOTHER Archer and didn't even get the achievements for using him OR enjoy his personality/story whatsoever.

OT: Dragon Age is just a name, dragons are pretty rare in that world and they are tough to kill. I'm thankful we didn't have to fight them more than a half-dozen times at most, they were some of the hardest battles the first time through.
You make a good point, the dragons in DA can be frikkin tough, especially if you dont know what you're doing.. and the first time you meet one you're probably going to die... In Skyrim however im seeing a Dragon probably once every hour or two, and i can kill them in about 4-5 hits with my bow, without taking damage.. considering dragons are supposed to be a world ending threat, i think DA actually did a better job with its dragons, so given that the OP is comparing DA to Skyrim pretty much on the inclusion of dragons, i'd actually say DA wins.
Totally agree with the Dragon sentiment. Ancient dragons in Skyrim tend to toughen things up a bit, but each dragon in DA was a boss fight unto itself, and I wouldn't expect any different. They are dragons, after all.

Kelethor

Jun 24, 2008
RagTagBand said:
Oh look, it's this thread again x2

1 x "Herp derp, I hayte Dragun Age 2!"

1 x "Herf, Skyrim is da bestest game evar"

Nobody gives a shit, least of all Bioware or Bethesda, about your fanboy rhetoric. I mean, what exactly was your purpose in posting this thread other than to garner a few pages of "OH YEAH MAN I TOTUALLY AGREE!!1! SKYRIM IZ BETTER DAN DRAGON AGE 2"? Two worlds 2 released this year as well, as did The Witcher 2, How about picking a comparison that isn't so blatantly one sided and chosen for nothing more than easy fanboy points?

Better yet, choose a topic that has even the smallest amount of discussion value, that isn't just nerd-dick waving about which Medieval Fantasy based RPG you like pretending you're part of the most.
I love you. you won the thread.

Sep 14, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
I wasn't aware they were competing with each other.
this.

plus i love both games for different reasons (i actually prefer the gameplay in the dragon age games over skyrim, but action rpg action is probably preferred by the majority.)

but yes, i would rank having more fun in skyrim than i did with DAII, however they are very different imo, i don't see the point in comparing the games though..

lets compare gears of war and fallout 3, since they both are shit colored games, am i right?
/sarcasm

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
No, not really.

In terms of open world exploration and player agency, sure Skyrim wins by a mile.

But when it comes to dialogue, characterization and storytelling, Dragon Age (both of them) blow Skyrim's meagre efforts out of the water.

Jay Wong

Sep 25, 2010
I feel both are different too, Dragon does character development very well and your companions actually interacts with you, which I miss in Skyrim. However the openess of skyrim and freedom in how you approach the game is really eye opening as well, it is a game where you can not touch the main quests even if you are 50 hours in and still have plenty to do.

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
I personally enjoyed the lore and story of Dragon Age 2 much more than Skyrim, and that's really the reason why I play video games. It was ten times funner talking to Varric than slaying dragons in Skyrim, but then again, I've always been the one to enjoy more directed RPG's than Skyrim. I like both, but I will always like the Dragon Age franchise more.

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
I was under the impression that for the most part, the majority of people agreed Dragon Age 2 was BioWares ugly child and is to be considered from the day of its release until the end of existence, a mistake and not real.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Jennacide said:
Fix the misleading title already. Of COURSE Skyrim blows DA2 out of the water, that's not fucking hard. As to being better than DAO, it is, but doesn't put it to shame by any means. Skyrim is great, but DAO was too. Primarily just beats it in flexibility, one of the few failings of DAO, where trying to play with anything but a strict team build bordered on suicide. (Without mods, did ANYONE have a team without Wynne if they weren't a healer themself?)
I pulled it off without Wynne, but I needed to use Shale as a tank thanks to her regen.

On-topic:

Ummm...Linear game vs open world, basically. I love both series. Except for Dragon Age 2.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Slightly off topic but just started playing Skyrim tonight and wanted to share: whoever complains about mouse and keyboard controls is a moron. I zoomed all the way out, mapped "move forward" to the left mouse button, remapped a few other action keys, and within a couple minutes felt like I was playing World of Warcraft with 100x better graphics. I suppose there is always room for improvement in the UI but it gets the job done.

Back on topic: I played the Dragon Age 2 demo and it was lame.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
So, if you could buy only one game and had to choose between Skyrim and some other non open world game, don't ask here because you will be told how pointless it is to compare games that are not exactly the same.

It wouldn't matter if they are the same genre, it wouldn't matter that they are both video games, it wouldn't matter that they are on the same platform. No, unless they are almost identical, the comparison will be deemed invalid by the geniuses here.

It wouldn't even surprise me if someone said that you can't compare Mass Effect to Dragon Age because one is sci-fi and the other is medieval. Nevermind that both games play exactly the same because Bioware makes the same game over and over again in different settings.

If you just want to know which game is more fun, ask anywhere but here.

PS: Of course, everyone has gone through their game library many times comparing their own games to each other decide what they want to play. Didn't matter then that they were comparing Oblivion to Dragon Age.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
Soviet Heavy said:
Oh my god that is the funniest thing I've read for a while. There's stuff in there about Bioware I hadn't heard before. Sweet Jesus you work in the games industry but you hate playing games!?
Yeah, you don't know unless you pay attention to their really niche PR and interviews, but the higher-ups in Bioware are really narrow-minded, condescending jerks. In answer to your question, though, the way I hear it is that Gaider and his posse were friends with the guys who headed up Baldur's Gate and that's how they got put in charge. Only way I could imagine it, anyway.