Skyrim spawns a meme.

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
Almost all really big releases create memes that annoy some and make other laugh.
Stop Right there, criminal scum
You have violated the law
The cake is a lie
I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow to the knee
Combustible lemons
I never asked for this
Yeah, RIP
My vision is augmented
What a shame
HEY! LISTEN!

There are alot. And there will be more. Accept it. I have, and I laugh at them.

Robert632

May 11, 2009
For the few days I noticed that meme, it's been in roughly 1/3 of the posts I've read, reaching annoying memedom very quickly. Though I'll admit that's mostly because I'm sick of hearing about Skyrimn in general( that news post about it making the 3rd most played game of connected Xbox play was what sent me over the edge to complaining about though.).

sergnb

Mar 12, 2011
Vkmies said:
Almost all really big releases create memes that annoy some and make other laugh.
Stop Right there, criminal scum
You have violated the law
The cake is a lie
I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow to the knee
Combustible lemons
I never asked for this
Yeah, RIP
My vision is augmented
What a shame
HEY! LISTEN!

There are alot. And there will be more. Accept it. I have, and I laugh at them.
Game is popular.

Game has some short of running gag - repeated phrase that sounds silly

People say it.

Other people find it funny because it references a game they like.

A meme is born. Really, it's that simple. You just get something simple and silly that is also popular, and then it's 2+2...

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
martintox said:
You know, with all those arrows, I'm surprised the knee pad industry didn't have a massive sales boom yet.
They're all on strike. The union members want better insurance.

Just in case.... guess what comes next.

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
DracoSuave said:
Rex Dark said:
Because people love to laugh at other people's misery.
ALso, TES guards tend to spawn memes...
"STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM!"
Hey... I know you!
You must be making a mistake....

Also what so funny about the knee meme =/
Or meme's in general.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
I was going to be glad that for once it's a meme that isn't based on an animal or a cartoon from my childhood. Then I took an arrow to the knee.

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
All over my fucking Skyrim video on youtube. Every two or three comments. The same. Fucking. Joke.

RagTagBand

Jul 7, 2011
It's not really a meme, I mean the only people who know what you're talking about, or will any way find it funny, are people who have played Skyrim. So really, less a meme, more an in-joke.

By contrast "Come at me, bro" is a quote from a Jersey shore episode, but have you seen that episode? Did you even know its origin? Chances are you haven't, but you still know "Come at me, bro". It is a part if internet culture as a whole, "I used to do X until I took an X to the knee" is a part of skyrim 'culture' and possibly gamer culture...but the latter isn't gamers adopting your meme, we're just forced to hear you spout it constantly. I doubt you'll find someone who hasn't played skyrim making Arrow jokes. And an intergral part of a "meme" is it's staying power, somehow I doubt anyone will be making these jokes in a years time.

Also, It wasn't funny the first time, it's still not funny.

Tl;dr - Not a meme, more of an in-joke, sub-meme at best.

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
I find people who get annoyed of memes to be hilarious.

Sure some things get old, but I think most fail to realize that the classic definition of a meme is simply something trending or being repeated, either subtly or blatantly.

One could say advertising in general, and monopolizing are based on memes. Slogans, brand recognition, etc.

If you're getting annoyed by something trending on the internet, maybe you're spending too much time (or not enough time) on the internet. :p

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
I used to not care about the meme's popularity, then someone stole my sweetroll.

Zeren

Aug 6, 2011
Here is my favorite variant of that.

"I used to be an arrow like you, then I took an adventurer to the fletching"

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
It is too common but I don't mind it. It's funny when someone does something imaginative with it, just just repeating the line is annoying and pointless. It'll die down before long.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
JupiterBase said:
Blue Hero said:
I'm sick of seeing it everywhere. I wish Skyrim was never released so I didn't have to see it EVERYWHERE.
Whats tripping me out is i don't think a lot people even know where its from anymore. I don't think Skyrim is that popular and i'm a TES fan since i started gaming. This really just astounds me how much its caught on.
I just found out the original "arrow in the knee" line...I had a feeling it was from skyrim

I also find it funny..considering the mian protagonist has probably suffered worse injuries..but keeps on going

GeorgeMarx

Jun 20, 2011
This always happens with a new game. We had 'I never asked for this' for awhile this year.
The difference with skyrim is that not only are more people playing it, they're playing it for longer. Playing it for longer encourages more discussion and that encourages other people to play as well.

People like to be part of a small group(even if it isn't small), memes, jokes and games are no different.

Shakomaru

May 18, 2011
martintox said:
You know, with all those arrows, I'm surprised the knee pad industry didn't have a massive sales boom yet.
Arrows are tough little buggers. They can bury themselves in a lot of stuff. besides, you can always shoot them in the back of the knee. how do I know? I used to be an archer, but then I took a sword to the chest.