Skyrim Weight Inaccuracies

craftomega

May 4, 2011
Just some flame protection first; Skyrim is a great game, and Bethdasoft can make there game how ever they like, all im asking is why they are doing stuff blantly wrong.

Ok its time for a history lesson about medevil europe.

Wikipidea
The longsword (of which stems the variation called the bastard sword) is a type of European sword designed for two-handed use, current during the late medieval and Renaissance periods, approximately 1350 to 1550 (with early and late use reaching into the 13th and 17th centuries).

Longswords have long cruciform hilts with grips over 10 to 15 cm length (providing room for two hands). Straight double-edged blades are often over 1 m to 1.2 m (40" to 48") length, and weigh typically between 1.2 and 1.8 kg (2½ to 4 lb), with light specimens just below 1 kg (2.2 lb), and heavy specimens just above 2 kg (4½ lb).
Ok you see how much the average long sword weighs; at max 4½ lb. Yet in Skyrim a normal sword weighs 9 Skyrim Weight (Sw). Yet leather armor weights 6 Sw and that is for your torso and legs. But in reality Leather armor weights about 15-25 pounds. So how why does the sword weight more in Skyrim.

Iron Sword 4½ lb : 9Sw
Leather armor 15-25 lb : 6Sw

This is only one example because i dont want to bore you guys (might be to late for some). Now im sure someone is going to say "To help balance the game" or some crap like that; I call bull shit on that.

So now after that lesson, my question. Why did Bethdasoft purposfully make the weights on items historicly Inaccurate? I honestly cannot see a good reason for it.

See me next time on HOW TO SWING A SWORD. How all the weapons in skyrim are being swong in mollases.

Edit*
craftomega said:
Its intresting to see that fan boys are countering my argument with "Because its not set in our world the same laws dont apply". But sadly they are missing my point. Would it be safe to say that humans from skyrim have the same or similar physical capabilities? If you say yes to this question then my point is valad. The human arm cannot deal with extreme weights at the ends (in your hands) for long periods of time, especialy while swinging them around. you would literly tear your muscles apart. so how would you be able to swing a sword that weights more then your armor? And no it does not really matter how strong you are, since everyone in skyrim can use the largest weapon without consequece. Yet in reality almost anyone can use most medevil swords due to there balance and weighting (most people will probaly cut them selves).

The irony is that I am also a huge fan boy of the TES series. I will defend this game agianst anyone who bashes it without good cause. The only point I am trying to make is that the weighting system does not make any logical sence, and sadly it is based off of the emcumbrance system which did make some sence. Sadly Skyrim over all has become consolized and many areas of gameplay and grafics have suffered for it.

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
Possibly for balancing reasons. Generally speaking (not including enchantments or anything), weapons seem to sell for more at stores, so in order to prevent people from passing over armor entirely in the pursuit of coin, they made weapons weigh more to limit how many you could grab.

EDIT: This is all from my experience so far, it's possible that armor does end up being more valuable later on, which would invalidate my explanation entirely.

Blue Hero

Aug 6, 2011
It's a magic sword with weight magic on it and the leather armor is a Chinese knock-off.

the.gill123

Jun 12, 2011
Because people ***** about how much you can carry as it is, if they made the weights accurate, you wouldn't be able to carry anything, it's that simple.

coheedswicked

Mar 28, 2010
because its a fantasy game set in a different universe... they dont have to be realistic. its not a simulator

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
craftomega said:
So now after that lesson, my question. Why did Bethdasoft purposfully make the weights on items historicly Inaccurate? I honestly cannot see a good reason for it.
You're assuming intent here? To what end? some conspiracy to...What? Misinform the public? Discredit Ren Fair geeks? Cause the SCA's rectums to twitch in unison?

Curious minds want to know.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
coheedswicked said:
because its a fantasy game set in a different universe... they dont have to be realistic. its not a simulator
But armour weights totally kill my immersion!

May 5, 2010
Wow, are you joking?

I'm not being cute or whatever, I'm dead serious. Are you joking right now? Sorry about the low content mods, but I feel like to need to know this before I respond in earnest. So OP...Are you serious?

craftomega

May 4, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
craftomega said:
You're assuming intent here? To what end? some conspiracy to...What? Misinform the public? Discredit Ren Fair geeks? Cause the SCA's rectums to twitch in unison?

Its not that, its just they put so much effort into making a great game then they skimp out on details that are easy to fix. It just bugs me, if you dont care about it thats your call but i do care.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Weapon weight affects fatigue used in power attacks and how fast the weapon swings in game, it's how a dagger is faster than a sword in game. So call bullshit all you want, it is for balance. Armour weight effects movent speed while wearing the armour.

craftomega

May 4, 2011
Fieldy409 said:
Weapon weight affects fatigue used in power attacks and how fast the weapon swings in game, it's how a dagger is faster than a sword in game. So call bullshit all you want, it is for balance. Armour weight effects movent speed while wearing the armour.
I think you miss read something...... Im saying that armor should weight more then weapons.... not that daggers should weight more then swords......

craftomega

May 4, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
craftomega said:

Its not that, its just they put so much effort into making a great game then they skimp out on details that are easy to fix. It just bugs me, if you dont care about it thats your call but i do care.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
craftomega said:
Damn. A massive conspiracy would have been far cooler than nitpicking.

Tanksie said:
its a different planet.
with magic and dragons and immortal children and about 14 people on an entire continent with about 2 houses and a shop. and you are bitching about how much the stuff weighs.
But it kills my immersion!

DannyJBeckett

Jun 29, 2011
It's just balancing. You can't have a top-level orc badass-warrior with 400 stamina points going around wielding a Daedric sword that only weighs 4lbs and wearing a full set of dragon armour that weighs about 30lbs, it'd all be too easy.

IrisEver

Sep 8, 2011
I just assume that ingame'Skyrim Weight' of an item takes into account how easy it would be to lug around - besides just how heavy it is.

Perhaps if you could fold a sword up, it would be easier to carry around and have a lower 'Skyrim weight'.

...I have no idea.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
There will probably be or probably is a mod for changing the weight of things in the game.

But most times with weighted items and cumbersome in games like that is too balance it, so you can't carry lots of overpowered items...is my guess. :p

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
craftomega said:
Fieldy409 said:
I think you miss read something...... Im saying that armor should weight more then weapons.... not that daggers should weight more then swords......
No I'm saying there really are gameplay reasons for those weight settings.