Skyrim Will Be Weird Like Morrowind

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
Never played Morrowwind but I presume it is a bit like the Shivering Isles, also I loved Oblivion (fully modded and vanilla) so a combination of the 2 will be good. I also liked how he explained the angle they took for Oblivion and I agree 100%

Wolfenbarg

Terrible Person
Oct 18, 2010
I'm not sure what to think. This was obviously supposed to be an article about the design of the game, but it feels vaguely reminiscent of a love letter addressed directly to me.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
Why are almost all fantasy settings in a place that's vaguely European? If they really wanna give us an original setting how neat would it be to base the concept designs on say, Africa, African settings, African art styles? That'd be kinda neat methinks. Obviously I know that the Elder Scrolls games have already more or less established at least a baseline style to the world, but I'd love a fantasy world with something different.

SailorShale

Apr 3, 2010
Thank you!! This is why I loved Shivering Isles so much. Oblivion was fun, but Shivering Isles was just...different and it drew you in by that. Every piece of news about Skyrim I see, it just makes me more and more excited for it.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
Radoh said:
Byere said:
It was at a time when I was younger and probably didn't understand the game fully. Not to mention the copy I have is the "Gold Edition" that doesn't come with any manuals. I was probably doing it wrong but that experience put me off the game. I played it a bit but couldn't figure things like quests and such out (and for some reason I got a Jump spell and jumped half way across the landmass, only to go splat when I got to the floor...)
Heh, that was the scroll of Icarian Flight that you got from a dead man, the enchantment doesn't last long enough so your ability to survive the fall is gone before you hit the ground. Pretty genius on the Dev Team's part though wouldn't you say?
Protip, use another one just before you land and discard the other. Then you can survive quite easily ^^

Also, fuck yeah, an Elder Scrolls game with the midfuckery that made Morrowind awesome, but more refined and less... Linux. You know, like, rudimentary and basic, buggy and console-based at times. I'm gonna fucking love this.

Ethman91

Feb 4, 2011
Bethesda will always be one of my favorite development teams. What can I say? They know what I like!

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Eleima said:
That "maybe Japan" comment might've been a little insensitive, I think.

Back on topic...
Not sure how "weird" Skyrim can be, really, since its concept is pretty much based on Nordic countries in Medieval Times (think vikings). And least that's what my knowledge of TES lore has led me to believe. Not sure it can be *as* weird as Morrowind, and we're not really asking for it to be that weird, I guess... Bethesda, if you're reading this, just *be* Skyrim, don't try to be like Morrowind, that's a pitfall which must be avoided.
(For clarification purposes, I loved Morrowind to bits, but I'm not convinced that you can take a recipe that applied to Morrowind and hope it'll work for Skyrim as well, the provinces are just too different)
By weird, I think it means different to the norm. While vikings are not so weird to the world, they are not soooo common in RPG games as a main theme, and Im sure Bethesda will go beyond that. More interesting creatures will be around, like Draugr, Horkers, Mammoths, Grahl and Rieklings, as opposed to zombies, boars, minotaur, and goblins. Plus dwarven ruins will be features again, and those are fun.

Aethren

Jun 6, 2009
This will be the first game I pre-order the Collectors Edition for, definately. I'm the biggest Elder Scrolls fan on The Escapist, hands-down.

Just hope my laptop can run it.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
AgentNein said:
Why are almost all fantasy settings in a place that's vaguely European? If they really wanna give us an original setting how neat would it be to base the concept designs on say, Africa, African settings, African art styles? That'd be kinda neat methinks. Obviously I know that the Elder Scrolls games have already more or less established at least a baseline style to the world, but I'd love a fantasy world with something different.
That's why Morrowind was so brillant aesthetically the Dunmer culture blended some Oriental and Middle Eastern designs with crazy unique stuff like living in Mushrooms and bug carapaces. It contrast so much with the Imperials who combined a late Roman empire vibe with some medieval achitecture.

Jun 11, 2008
Why can't I just have a goddamn spear with medium armour and some shuriken. That is all I want that was gone from Oblivion. They really made the Marksmanship talent boring.

Epslion.Bear

Feb 27, 2011
kane.malakos said:
Merkavar said:
so can someone giv me an example of the bizare ness in morrowind? never played it
Instead of riding horses, people travel in the hollowed-out carapaces of 20-foot tall insects. There are entire villages which are made of giant mushrooms. People wear armor made from chitin. There are enormous steampunk ruins left by the dwarves, who all disappeared. There are wizard towers which can only be reached by levitation. There's a few more, but those are the really awesome ones.
You left out the ban hammer :3

maturin

Jul 20, 2010
Sure, they're Vikings. But these Vikings tell creation myths that are slapstick comedy and have a philosophical proclivity for circular time cosmologies. And then you've got characters like Yuri Nail-Face. Guess he got his name. Just guess.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
Hungry Donner said:
RandV80 said:
Well this is exactly what they need to do. With Oblivion they took what the felt was 'wrong' in Morrowind and really over compensated on it, leaving a lot of Morrowind fans unhappy. They need to take a few steps back and make everyone happy, much like they did with Fallout 3.
I think "wrong" is too harsh a term, I don't think they ever viewed Vvardenfell's exotic setting as wrong they just wanted to do something more traditional with TES IV. Many people didn't like TES III's exotic setting and this influenced the creation of the Bloodmoon expansion which was closer to traditional fantasy. (TES IV generated the opposite complaint and we got Shivering Isles.)

I would agree that many of the changes they made went too far in the other direction - it sounds like Skyrim will be combining a lot of lessons learned from TES III and IV (and FO3) which should strike an excellent balance. :)

mrdude2010 said:
to be fair, morrowind had some invisible walls too, but these were usually out in the middle of the ocean where no one went anyway
Really? I thought ocean regions were continuously generated as you swam out.
in the xbox version i vaguely remember being told to turn around about a kilometer past the city that kind of stuck out into the water a little

DremoraValkynaz

Mar 15, 2011
Never played Morrowind, nor do I care for it, but I respect they are giving Morrowind fans something to enjoy again. As for myself, I'm a diehard Oblivion fan. I found the game fantastic, so immersive, nothing i've seen before. From exploring the lovely coast of Anvil up to the chilling mountains of Bruma.I still play and enjoy the game today. Even just starting the game again, getting passed the sewers and out into the beatiful landscape where the sun setting down, reflecting against the water.

I am really looking forward to Skyrim, the game looks utterly amazing!

SpaceCop

Feb 14, 2010
Sounds good! Or sounds better, at least. Oblivion's setting was the blandest of the bland--which, considering the usual amount of blandness that goes into generic fantasy settings, was pretty bland.

Tavis Harrison

Jun 4, 2011
I want them to keep the cliff racer, just not the fucked up glitch that made hundreds of them rape you at once. if they made them a little more rarer and only found in the mountains then yes I would like to see them brought back :p

they definitely need to fix the armour rarity though
you get the stuff way to easy in oblivion. (it seem they aimed that game at nine year olds :p)