'Slut' Parade

Hive Mind

Apr 30, 2011
JonnWood said:
Hive Mind said:
SillyBear said:
Most rape is committed by someone the victim has been acquainted with previously and has spent the night with them.
Incorrect. The majority of rapes (50%+) are committed upon children.
Which doesn't rule out people they know.

44% are kids, specifically. Not a majority.

http://www.rainn.org/statistics
http://www.rainn.org/get-information/statistics/sexual-assault-victims

93% of juvenile sexual assault victims know their attacker
You seem to have skipped over the entire "Most rape is committed by someone the victim has been acquainted with previously and has spent the night with them," part. As children cannot consent, they cannot have 'spent the night' - it would be rape.

JonnWood

Jul 16, 2008
Beaches etc comes down to practicality. Wearing a miniskirt and the shortest, tightest top on a night out when it is snowing is ridiculous and dangerous.
Yes, but more because of hypothermia than the chance of rape.

Look, I personally believe that there's stuff people shouldn't wear. Like a 200 lb. woman in a tube top. Do I have a right to an opinion? Yes. Do they? Also yes. I don't have a right to force my beliefs of what they should or shouldn't wear on them? No, unless I'm a cop enforcing some sort of public exposure statute. Does dressing a certain way justify or mollify rape? No, never, and there's no statistical connection either. Quite the opposite.

Adremmalech

Mar 1, 2009
What caught my attention about this story was how intuitive the officer's suggestion was. Every guy here known that a vulnerable woman is somehow more attractive than a powerful woman, in most cases. Every guy knows it's the other way around when a girl finds a guy attractive. A man is more attractive when he's in control. When he's vulnerable, he is rejected even further. Every guy here knows this if they've been to high school.

Since that is the case, and speaking from a male perspective, a woman wearing less clothes looks more attractive in general, but also more vulnerable. It is also a sign that she is more open to sex if she appears to be pea-cocking. That is, showing herself off. We are not horrible people for interpreting these signals this way. Those who cannot control themselves are the horrible ones.

Do not twist my words.
Most men are perfectly happy watching a woman's features shift as she walks along, but watch out, because there are predators out there, and they are not always content with watching. Anything that can be seen as an invitation could make a girl more likely to be assaulted. Be aware.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Liviola said:
Clothes on a day to day basis have so little to do with sex. Just like during your daily decision in the morning on what t-shirt to wear (average guy example), concern about whether or not someone will rape you because of that shirt that day, is rarely, if ever, a factor in the decision. It is incredibly unfair and just plain stupid to tell women and only women: "and after finally deciding what to wear, have a look at yourself and conduct a Will I Get Raped Today test, and only if it passes the test you are allowed to leave the house and not get 100% of the blame in the event of a rape".

And anyway, this:

Dags90 said:
Patterns of Behavior in Adolescent Rape_ by Vinogradov et al. in the
American Journal of Orthopsychiatry 58(2) April 1988 pp 179-87:

89% of the rapists described the victims as not being provocative,
"The victims did not verbally provoke nor were sexually
attractive to the attacker".
In all likelihood the assumption that dressing sexy increases your potential to be raped stems from the increase in lewd attention from idiots you do get.

Didn't know about the actual research though - think it's time for me to look up a back issue of the American Journal of Orthopsychiatry.

And to the side here: wasn't that whole demonstration aimed at changing preconceptions on the side of the public and law enforcement?

JonnWood

Jul 16, 2008
Hive Mind said:
JonnWood said:
Hive Mind said:
SillyBear said:
Most rape is committed by someone the victim has been acquainted with previously and has spent the night with them.
Which doesn't rule out people they know.

44% are kids, specifically. Not a majority.

http://www.rainn.org/statistics
http://www.rainn.org/get-information/statistics/sexual-assault-victims

93% of juvenile sexual assault victims know their attacker
You seem to have skipped over the entire "Most rape is committed by someone the victim has been acquainted with previously and has spent the night with them," part. As children cannot consent, they cannot have 'spent the night' - it would be rape.
Still, kids are not a majority. The onus is on you to find statistics about the number of adult victims which have or haven't slept with their attacker voluntarily before the rape, then do some math as to how much of the toatal rape victims they make up.

chris89300

Jun 5, 2010
That's how it's most commonly known. People that have raped kids are usually called pedos, whether it's the correct term or not. It's a lot easier to differentiate them from the ones that have only raped adults ...

But thanks for the enlightenment.

DigitalAtlas

Mar 31, 2011
JonnWood said:
Beaches etc comes down to practicality. Wearing a miniskirt and the shortest, tightest top on a night out when it is snowing is ridiculous and dangerous.

Look, I personally believe that there's stuff people shouldn't wear. Like a 200 lb. woman in a tube top. Do I have a right to an opinion? Yes. Do they? Also yes. I don't have a right to force my beliefs of what they should or shouldn't wear on them? No, unless I'm a cop enforcing some sort of public exposure statute. Does dressing a certain way justify or mollify rape? No, never, and there's no statistical connection either. Quite the opposite.
>200 lb. woman in a tube top.

I'll take "first result to appear on Google Images if I type the word 'ew' in the search bar" for 500, Alex.

Longest Jeopardy category ever.

JonnWood

Jul 16, 2008
maninahat said:
Ferrious said:
He essentially said "Don't be attractive" as a response to being raped.

Or "Don't drive your car" as response to a car-jacking.

Or "Don't own a house" in response to being burgled.

Or "Don't live" in response to being murdered.
It would be a more fitting analogy to say:
"Don't leave your car in a poorly lit, dangerous area out of pedestrian view."

"Don't leave the windows of your house open and your expensive laptops on show."

and "Don't take unecessary risks that might compromise your safety".

Whilst I hate the claim that a woman dressing like a slut is "asking for it", women should be well aware of the inherent risk of dressing as they do. I'm all against blaming the victim, but perhaps the victim might not have become a victim if they took the necessary precautions. Not dressing in a titillating fashion might be one of them, though considering how many women do it, it shouldn't be an issue. Especially if she takes other precautions (drinking sensible amounts of alcohol, partying with friends, carrying mace etc).
Except for the statistics that state that women who are raped because of their clothing are the overwhelming minority. Dressing soberly is, statistically, more likely to end up with the victim raped.

Aerowaves

Sep 10, 2009
Poorly worded; should be constructive advice, rather than criticism and denigration.

The fact of the matter is that rapists are not rational beings. In some cases, especially in heat of the moment...actions, how a girl dresses WILL make a difference to a drunk animal, an urban youth revelling in his emotional state of perceived self-empowerment, or a cold-blooded psycho.

This is not to blame them - and is certainly not to say that they deserve it (although how some of them dress and act can be pretty sleazy) - it is simply to express the opinion that girls should bear this in mind when they make their choices. These choices are, however, theirs to make, and the blame should always fall on the rapist.

JonnWood

Jul 16, 2008
DigitalAtlas said:
JonnWood said:

>200 lb. woman in a tube top.

I'll take "first result to appear on Google Images if I type the word 'ew' in the search bar" for 500, Alex.

Longest Jeopardy category ever.
I tried that and just got a lot of Entertainment Weekly "Twilight" covers.

Not even joking.

SillyBear

May 10, 2011
Hive Mind said:
SillyBear said:
Eh. We are kind of obviously not talking about statutory rape or child abuse here. Have you read the thread?

DigitalAtlas

Mar 31, 2011
JonnWood said:
I tried that and just got a lot of Entertainment Weekly "Twilight" covers.

Not even joking.

.... Well, at least the results still match the search criteria.

RivFader86

Jul 3, 2009
I don't see the purpose of it...even if they manage to "reclaim" the word a woman that sleeps with a lot of men would still be looked down upon ( i think it's mainly because women don't have to do anything really to have sex...send a man and a woman down a street and flat out ask people if they want to have sex with them and see what happens ;P)

TheFinalFantasyWolf

Dec 23, 2010
I think that officer was wrong by saying that dressing provocatively is like asking for rape....People dont deserve rape by how they dress.......not that it would kill these "sluts" to dress more appropriately at least -__- but hey whatever.......LOL but I think parading with signs like "Proud Slut" and "Sluts Say Yes" just might have given the wrong impression to passers-by :p

Hive Mind

Apr 30, 2011
SillyBear said:
Hive Mind said:
SillyBear said:
Eh. We are kind of obviously not talking about statutory rape or child abuse here. Have you read the thread?
I see you tried to throw it back on me there. You failed. You stated that the majority of rapes occur upon a victim who has previously had sex with their attacker. You are wrong. It has nothing to do with the rest o the thread - I was simply calling you out.

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
sethzard said:
I think you've totally missed the point of the article, I support them on this. They should be able to choose how they dress without the worry of being raped.
I agree wholeheartedly with this. The point of this protest (what the OP offensively refers to as a "slut parade"), is to refute the long standing stereotype that only sluts get raped and that they pretty much earned it. That train of thought alone makes me shiver.

SillyBear

May 10, 2011
Hive Mind said:
SillyBear said:
Hive Mind said:
SillyBear said:
I see you tried to throw it back on me there. You failed. You stated that the majority of rapes occur upon a victim who has previously had sex with their attacker. You are wrong. It has nothing to do with the rest o the thread - I was simply calling you out.
Right. Well, it seems you are being anal. I was pretty clearly talking about adults. Not once has child abuse been mentioned in this thread, so I didn't feel the need to specifically mention I was strictly talking about individuals over eighteen. If you want to nitpick and what not that's on you. I don't really mind if you want to spend your time doing that, but you don't have to push the attitude around.

I realise most cases of rape are child related and I knew this before you pointed it out for me. Cheers. That's sorted.

UFOROMANTIC

Nov 8, 2010
The both of you make me sick. This is no longer a discussion between the two of you about the issue at hand, but a game of semantics; a petty waste of space. I'm going to bed.
EDIT: Directed at SillyBear and Hivemind.

Hive Mind

Apr 30, 2011
SillyBear said:
I was pretty clearly talking about adults. Not once has child abuse been mentioned in this thread [...] I realise most cases of rape are child related.
How were you pretty clearly talking about adults? You simply said 'most cases of rape,' before then going on to insert what you consider the most common rape scenario -- nothing to do with a child. However, you just mentioned in the above quote that sex with a child is rape. You then claim to have known this all along, making your entire point incorrect and in need of clarification.

Labeling it child abuse does nothing to change the fact that it is rape.