'Slut' Parade

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
TB_Infidel said:
dogstile said:
Actually, they pretty much are the most subjective thing ever. What you find attractive may not be what I find attractive after all. That's subjective enough for me. What you like depends on your race, your background, your upbringing, your own moral code, etc.

And the officers comment was stupid because it's dangerously close to blaming the victim. He should have worded it better rather than said a statement that sounds annoyingly close to "well, obviously its the clothes you wear, thats why you get raped!"
Please don't argue this point when you have clearly not checked google scholar like I suggested as attraction between humans is anything but subjective - and this has been proven.

The thing is, the officer did not blame the clothes, he just said it was one of many factors and that you should try to do everything possible to help yourself. The fact that so many women are screaming about it makes me wonder how self destructive women have become in our society. If you are given advice, then ignore it for no reason, it normally shows that the person is sitting on a bag load of issues.
Please don't assume I didn't.

http://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?hl=en&q=human+attraction&btnG=Search&as_sdt=0%2C5&as_ylo=&as_vis=0

See! Totally did.

Look, the thing you're not seeming to realise is the very nature of something being attractive IS subjective. If you can't see this then ask yourself this. Is everyone attracted to the same thing?

I mean, I personally don't enjoy massive breasts, but I know some people who do. That right there proves its not the same for everyone, therefore, subjective.

And its not that I don't agree with what the officer said, but its the way he said it. It sounded offensive and its pissed off a lot of people. Maybe next time he'll think about how he says it.

chris89300

Jun 5, 2010
Ok, so they don't like that "slut" is derogatory. Could anyone please explain to me what THAT has to do with the fact that they're getting raped? (Altho, you'd have to say "no" in the first place, for it to actually be a rape :D).

So are they protesting because they don't like the meaning of the word or because they don't want to get raped? (I refused to read the whole history lesson about the origins of the word "slut", because frankly, who gives a shit?)

Cuz, if they're protesting against the word, it's completely retarded. If they're protesting against rape tho, it's even worse, since it's pointless. If a rapist would give a shit about what their victims wanted, the word "rape" wouldn't even exist.

Turing

Dec 25, 2008
Its my sincere belief that people who believe that the way people dress have anything whatsoever to do with rape, are completely missing the point and may have some issues they need to resolve with help from a professional.

Of course, people relishing in the label of "slut" may want to tag along with you when you go see a therapist ;)

Hive Mind

Apr 30, 2011
Adremmalech said:
Hive Mind said:
Adremmalech said:
Hmm. This is interesting. I know I don't like rape, but I also don't like women dressing like sluts all the time. There's certainly a time and place for dressing like a slut though, and I love those times and places. As far as public dress code, as long as you belong in those clothes (I'm looking at you, muffin-tops), go ahead.
Cool story. What's it like to be so shallow people can see straight through you?
I'm not sure what you mean.
I'd prefer it if people all people dressed more modestly, however I respect people's right to dress however they wish. It's not my place to dictate what people should do, but since it is a forum, I thought I'd post my opinion. It could be that you are calling me shallow for the muffin-top comment. I apologize if you are part of that group, but it's not a good look.
No, I'm not 'part of that group'.

The depth of character displayed in that post I find disgusting, childish and moronic. You know what isn't a good look? Being shallow and transparently hollow.

Hive Mind

Apr 30, 2011
chris89300 said:
Altho, you'd have to say "no" in the first place, for it to actually be a rape :D).
Heaven help any women or man that comes across someone who believes rape only occurs when the word no is used.

Dear god.

Adremmalech

Mar 1, 2009
Hive Mind said:
Adremmalech said:
Hive Mind said:
Adremmalech said:
Hmm. This is interesting. I know I don't like rape, but I also don't like women dressing like sluts all the time. There's certainly a time and place for dressing like a slut though, and I love those times and places. As far as public dress code, as long as you belong in those clothes (I'm looking at you, muffin-tops), go ahead.
Cool story. What's it like to be so shallow people can see straight through you?
I'm not sure what you mean.
I'd prefer it if people all people dressed more modestly, however I respect people's right to dress however they wish. It's not my place to dictate what people should do, but since it is a forum, I thought I'd post my opinion. It could be that you are calling me shallow for the muffin-top comment. I apologize if you are part of that group, but it's not a good look.
No, I'm not 'part of that group'.

The depth of character displayed in that post I find disgusting, childish and moronic. You know what isn't a good look? Being shallow and transparently hollow.
Then I find you childish, moronic and disgusting also. Well argued.

chris89300

Jun 5, 2010
Hive Mind said:
chris89300 said:
Altho, you'd have to say "no" in the first place, for it to actually be a rape :D).
Heaven help any women or man that comes across someone who believes rape only occurs when the word no is used.

Dear god.
That was a joke :p.

Sikachu

Apr 20, 2010
TB_Infidel said:
So these women are proud of being sluts, think that there is nothing wrong with acting in that way, and rather then listening to advice on how to avoid rape, they want to protest?

Does anyone else find this type of behavior ridiculous and shows how warped/hedonistic parts of Western society is becoming?
What is wrong with "acting in that way"? Do you not go out and have sex with consenting adults having put on clothes that you think make you attractive? Oh wait, I forgot where I was, probably not.

JonnWood

Jul 16, 2008
Guy Jackson said:
Now you're just being ridiculous. I'm saying that the mind is a complicated thing, and that rape might meet several basic desires in women (as well as many things they don't desire, like pain and fear).
You're arguing that on some psychological or physical level, women need or want rape.

As for the Autonomous (or Autonomic, if that's the proper name) Nervous System, I admit to knowing very little about it except that it controls automatic stuff like heartbeat. And, if some people in this thread are to be believed, orgasms. Great. And how does that disprove mental stimulation?
See, you can't say "I don't know about the subject, but prove to me that it makes point X." It's not their job to educate you, or mine either, but I'll try.

It's not 'some people in this thread', it's actual scientific studies. Orgasms are entirely disassociated from whether the victim desires or is enjoying the experience. This is not an opinion, not something debatable. It is scientific fact.

I notice that you repeaetedly admit to not knowing about things, yet seem reluctant to do even cursory Googling.

Defense mechanism. Interesting. Then explain why some male rape victims said they got an erection during the rape. Exactly how does an erection serve as any kind of defense mechanism?
It's a theory, not a scientific fact, and largely irrelevant.

Anyway, Occam's razor. I've been trying to avoid your (false) accusations of misuse as they're completely beside the point and strike me as being little more than a futile exercise in point scoring and/or derailing, but since you insist on dragging it up over and over again...
Because you keep misunderstanding it over and over again.

You're correct in saying that Occam's razor is not a proof. However, as I've stated twice already, I am not (and never have been) attempting to prove my assumption.
Then why are you still arguing?

We have these curiosities: that many women fantasise about rape, and that some women orgasm during rape. I say both qualify as curious because rape is ostensibly an unpleasant experience.

My explanation involves one assumption: that on some level women enjoy, if only in part, being raped.
Which has been proven wrong. Repeatedly.

The notion that the response is purely physical does not explain male arousal during rape,
Yes it does. It means it's purely physical in men too. Again, proven scientific fact. Is there any gender safe from your idiocy? Hermaphrodites, maybe.

nor does it explain the shame that women feel over the orgasm,
To quote you, "women are [bleeped] up". Those are emotional reactions. A lot of victims actually know that, intellectually, they shouldn't feel ashamed, yet they do anyway.

and it conveniently ignores the high rate of rape fantasising in women.
Not relevant to actual rape. I have mowed down dozens of assassins in Max Payne 2, yet I'm a pacifist in real life. Fantasy != reality.

The fact that rape is an awful, traumatic, painful experience seems to me to entirely beside the point, as I am not claiming total enjoyment/desire on the part of the victim.
It's not the "total" part people are having problems with. It's "any".

The fact that the women who had orgasms said that they didn't want to is also useless as it tells us only of their conscious mind state (and I do hope you're not suggesting that people have a complete understanding of their own subconscious desires).
It's not desired. It can be bought about even in people with no feeling in that area. You have built incorrect logic upon incorrect premises, value opinions over scientific studies, ignore testimony from actual rape victims, yet claim to be reasonable.

Sikachu

Apr 20, 2010
Hive Mind said:
Adremmalech said:
Even cooler story. What's it like being such an insufferable bore that you have no friends?

Adremmalech

Mar 1, 2009
Sikachu said:
Hive Mind said:
Adremmalech said:
Even cooler story. What's it like being such an insufferable bore that you have no friends?
I appreciate the backup, but that's really not necessary. I would much rather discuss the matter with Hive Mind rather than starting a flamewar. However, the second paragraph of my original post, the more serious one, has been completely skipped.

JonnWood

Jul 16, 2008
Hive Mind said:
SillyBear said:
Most rape is committed by someone the victim has been acquainted with previously and has spent the night with them.
Incorrect. The majority of rapes (50%+) are committed upon children.
Which doesn't rule out people they know.

44% are kids, specifically. Not a majority.

http://www.rainn.org/statistics
http://www.rainn.org/get-information/statistics/sexual-assault-victims

93% of juvenile sexual assault victims know their attacker

Liviola

May 9, 2011
bahumat42 said:
Yeah but whats said sexy clothing for?
to arouse and to increase male interest. The other side of that is that its going to interest the less than savoury types out there. By all means dress how you want, but it's risk versus reward, its the same reason i dress in very cheap clothes most of the time, nobodys going to mug somebody who hasn't got any money.

In a perfect world they could all wear what they want, but this isn't a perfect world, there are bastards out there, and behaving/dressing certain ways effects how they are likely to perceive you.
Women don't dress in sexy clothing to arouse male interest. It is a misconception that basically all males have. Seriously, almost all women will tell you, when we dress up or dress "sexy", it is to impress other women, conform to a social standard or ideal, or to simply feel good about ourselves.

Clothes on a day to day basis have so little to do with sex. Just like during your daily decision in the morning on what t-shirt to wear (average guy example), concern about whether or not someone will rape you because of that shirt that day, is rarely, if ever, a factor in the decision. It is incredibly unfair and just plain stupid to tell women and only women: "and after finally deciding what to wear, have a look at yourself and conduct a Will I Get Raped Today test, and only if it passes the test you are allowed to leave the house and not get 100% of the blame in the event of a rape".

And anyway, this:

Dags90 said:
Patterns of Behavior in Adolescent Rape_ by Vinogradov et al. in the
American Journal of Orthopsychiatry 58(2) April 1988 pp 179-87:

89% of the rapists described the victims as not being provocative,
"The victims did not verbally provoke nor were sexually
attractive to the attacker".

chris89300

Jun 5, 2010
JonnWood said:
Hive Mind said:
SillyBear said:
Most rape is committed by someone the victim has been acquainted with previously and has spent the night with them.
Incorrect. The majority of rapes (50%+) are committed upon children.
Which doesn't rule out people they know.

44% are kids, specifically. Not a majority.

http://www.rainn.org/statistics
http://www.rainn.org/get-information/statistics/sexual-assault-victims

93% of juvenile sexual assault victims know their attacker
When talking about rape, we're talking about adult victims, otherwise, it's called pedophilia.
The stats should be taken from adult rape cases, not from overall rapes.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Ferrious said:
He essentially said "Don't be attractive" as a response to being raped.

Or "Don't drive your car" as response to a car-jacking.

Or "Don't own a house" in response to being burgled.

Or "Don't live" in response to being murdered.
It would be a more fitting analogy to say:
"Don't leave your car in a poorly lit, dangerous area out of pedestrian view."

"Don't leave the windows of your house open and your expensive laptops on show."

and "Don't take unecessary risks that might compromise your safety".

Whilst I hate the claim that a woman dressing like a slut is "asking for it", women should be well aware of the inherent risk of dressing as they do. I'm all against blaming the victim, but perhaps the victim might not have become a victim if they took the necessary precautions. Not dressing in a titillating fashion might be one of them, though considering how many women do it, it shouldn't be an issue. Especially if she takes other precautions (drinking sensible amounts of alcohol, partying with friends, carrying mace etc).

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
S_SienZ said:
Looking good and attractive =/= Looking like a slut

Stupid feministic sluts. It's just advice, it's not like they're imposing a new law or something.

And BTW there is a word for men who sleep around, it's called manwhores.
Perhaps, but it takes a lot of effort to become a manwhore. Alternatively, if a man is a virgin, he is obviously not a "real man". If a woman is a virgin, then it is all the better. You should watch Easy A; the entire movie is about satiring this double standard.

Hive Mind

Apr 30, 2011
Adremmalech said:
inane dribble
That's something of a relief; to be in any way aligned with such a disgusting and in a way laughable attitude would offend me. (I'm looking at you, hateful children, bullying others and picking apart looks in a desperate attempt to hide insecurity.)

Sikachu said:
*Looks at fiance - love of my life and childhood friend* Not sure what you are referring to. Projecting perhaps?

DigitalAtlas

Mar 31, 2011
...They do know rape is already against the law, yes? We don't need to protest it. Someone needs to get a redundancy demotivational in here, STAT.

Sorry, but this is stupid. Having a parade where those women show off how tight of clothes they wear or how short their skirts are seems more to entertain the idea of rape in the head of a man sick, determined, and horny enough.

Hive Mind

Apr 30, 2011
chris89300 said:
When talking about rape, we're talking about adult victims, otherwise, it's called pedophilia.
The stats should be taken from adult rape cases, not from overall rapes.
No. The rape of a minor is called rape. Paedophilia is a paraphilia -- a mental disorder -- not a sex act. In fact, raping a child doesn't even make you a paedophile. Paedophilia is defined as an exclusive sexual attraction to prepubescent children and has nothing to do with the act of rape.

You're welcome.

grizzlyAssuager

Feb 23, 2011
First this:
It's extremely shitty when a police person makes statements like that. Imagine getting raped, and then getting the lookdown at the police office and hearing "but you were dressed SLUTTY." What about pretty people then? Should they just cover up all the goodness, to prevent being assualted?

Most people get raped by people they know, and who don't give a fuck what their victims are wearing. Statistically, the best way to avoid getting raped would be to steer clear of your family and loved ones.

On the slut thing though. That lock joke is not really enough to explain why liking sex and having it is a bad thing for women. Putting people down for being sexual, or dressing in a way that expresses their sexuality? Way to go society. That is a very scary way of thinking in my book, and I do not see what people have to gain from it. I saw people use the pregnancy or disease -agrument, but we have things for that.

If anything, women (and men!) should hear more "hey, respect yourself and others, use protection, and only have sex when you feel comfortable with it.", and less "OMG U WHORE, U R BAD PERSON"

Using protection or getting tested is always a good idea, even if you don't see yourself as "slutty". People in (serially)monogamous relationships can get STI's too, and they can get raped aswell.

That lock joke might do little to explain why slut = bad, but it does show a wierd kind of thinking about our sexuality: it makes it seem is if someone is trying to enter, and the lock should have prevented this.
Too often sex is seen as a thing men take, and women give. A girl is called a slut when she gives too often, or too gladly.

When you consider sex as a thing BETWEEN people, a thing people of any gender can desire or have, the "slut"- label suddenly becomes hollow and useless. It's only there to hurt people really. Let's stop that, ok?