So apparently the new Fant4stic is the Green Lantern of 2015

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
You know you've fucked up royal when the studio you loan an IP to does a worse job with it than the parody your rival produced:

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ok now I don't feel so annoyed that my mate can't meet up this Saturday in the city to watched it (train ain't on and he doesn't want to take the bus).

Yeah I saw Bob review yesterday and it make me wonder which films is worse? This or Pixel? Even yet when compared to the first FF film, which of the two is the lesser evil since neither are "good"?

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
There's a new Fantastic Four movie? Even if they'd shown trailers and that I don't think I would have been fussed. Looks like nobody can handle it right. Except maybe that Roger Corman one... although my perspective is skewed, only having seen parts of it from Red Letter Media as they watched it alongside the original Supergirl and a Captain America movie from... the 1990s? The one with J.D Salinger's son in it.

Needless to say Fantastic Four was the best of those three.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Marvel scored a hit with Guardians of the Galaxy, which was actually a better FF movie than the prior two FF movies.

I would absolutely love to see them try to embrace the Silver-Age craziness of the FF comic. Even if they failed, I'd respect the attempt more than these non-Marvel movies which are totally ashamed of the source material.
The Incredibles is a better FF movie than either of them. A large part of that is obviously because it was made by people with talent and passion, but since it's animated it can also get away with a lot of the goofy and... cartoony sensibilities of something like The Fantastic Four.

Not that I'm crying foul or blaming Fox for how they ruined FF, since I've never had any love for this property. I keep hearing how they're the quintessential super hero team, how Reed Richards is the smartest man in the Marvel universe, and how Dr. Doom is its greatest villain and was Darth Vader before Darth Vader, but I generally rank about as high as the Bionic Six. I remember even finding The Fantastic Four cartoon show super lame, and this was at a time when Fox was knocking it out of the park with X-Men and Spider-Man.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Sarge034 said:
Tautology said:
Asita said:
Ok, for someone who didn't see the clip and hasn't seen the movie, I'm almost hesitant to ask, but I must know...what did they do to Doctor Doom?
Gaze and despair, true believer!
Wait... they made a Mass Effect movie and I didn't know about it? XD In all seriousness I'm not surprised the movie sucked but I was not expecting this level of suck. It's like the Spanish Inquisition of suck.
Imma just leave this here:

This is my head canon for Doom and hopefully it'll be yours too :D

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
gact said:
By the reviews it seems they messed up dr Doom once again, it seems studios only see dr Doom as a evil guy with metal covering his body and some unexplained superpower, as if the character is only the super power, but the thing that makes dr Doom powerful and intimidating and probably the best comic book character ever is being dr Doom. Why I think this is because when I think what makes dr Doom OP is because he is dr Doom, not because he has a suit, or anything like that.
Now, I am bright eyed and bushy tailed when it comes to comic book knowledge, so I know nothing of why everyone loves doom. But you did not explain what makes Dr doom so awesome, Instead saying the same as the movie allegedly does. So what can he do, other than be Dr Doom? I am honestly intrigued.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Xsjadoblayde said:
Now, I am bright eyed and bushy tailed when it comes to comic book knowledge, so I know nothing of why everyone loves doom. But you did not explain what makes Dr doom so awesome, Instead saying the same as the movie allegedly does. So what can he do, other than be Dr Doom? I am honestly intrigued.
He can use science and magic, he has an awesome magitek suit of armour, he's king of a country called Latveria which is doing really well because he uses his inventions and spells to make things easier for his people, he comes up with awesome boasts, he can resist mind control and zombification from willpower alone, he stormed into Hell to get his mother's soul back, and saved the multiverse from total destruction. And here's the kicker: If Doom took over, things would actually be better. There's been multiple times where he's conquered everything and then gave it up because there were no more superheroes to fight and he was getting bored. I want to see a movie with that Doom. Heck, I want to see a movie with that Doom as the protagonist.

But instead we got a butthurt hacker with silver foil on his face.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Gearhead mk2 said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
He can use science and magic, he has an awesome magitek suit of armour, he's king of a country called Latveria which is doing really well because he uses his inventions and spells to make things easier for his people, he comes up with awesome boasts, he can resist mind control and zombification from willpower alone, he stormed into Hell to get his mother's soul back, and saved the multiverse from total destruction. And here's the kicker: If Doom took over, things would actually be better. There's been multiple times where he's conquered everything and then gave it up because there were no more superheroes to fight and he was getting bored. I want to see a movie with that Doom. Heck, I want to see a movie with that Doom as the protagonist.

Hm that is certainly more interesting than I would have expected. Resist Zombification with mindpower? I didn't even know that was a thing in Marvel-verse! I like the idea of him as a ruler getting too bored, perhaps even turning to tyranny, not to control but to gain some form of stimulation. Why isn't that idea a film?? Bleh!

Shiftygiant

Apr 12, 2011
I want to say I called it, but so did so many other people so the claim is meaningless now.

I heard Mole Man was in this, but wasn't 'mole man'. Can anyone confirm?

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
MarsAtlas said:
Even the director is saying that the movie is awful. [http://deadline.com/2015/08/fantastic-four-director-josh-trask-youll-probably-never-see-my-good-version-1201494517/]
Yeah, I'd take anything he said with the biggest grain of salt you can find.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Caramel Frappe said:
With what they did to Dr. Doom ... yeah ... no surprise. I hope it flunks so hard that Fox has no choice but to sell it back to Marvel.
It may of made $20 million opening weekend but the production of the movie cost over $80 million ... all while a majority of the CGI looked like it came out of Sharknado's graphic designers I wish I was kidding.
hasn't had it's opening week end yet. that is this weekend. So $20 mill before opening is pretty good :p

BiscuitWheels

Jan 10, 2009
The Thing is my favorite superhero. It hurts my heart to see what this movie has done to him. At least give him a pair of freakin' pants.
Really, I think the franchise needs to be put on the back burner for about 5-10 years and then give it a proper re-boot. I say, go full comic book with it. Set it in the 60's/70's. Fight the Mole Man and a big purple Galactus. Give the Thing the gruff but lovable personality that made him "the idol to millions". Explore the fact that the F4 where not just heroes, but celebrities. Have fun, for God's sake.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
bartholen said:
and you have one of the possible surprise turkeys of the year on our hands. I say "surprise", because IMO the trailers showed at least a bit of promise,
Sorry, but I still don't think you can say "surprise" just because the trailers tried their best to make it look neat. That's the job of the trailers.

This has - from the day the first behind-the-scenes picks and information were released - been known as a deliberate attempt to utterly destroy the FF franchise. I mean, there's "creative license with your own adaptation of an IP" and then there's "pissing all over the faces of fans of an IP and laughing hysterically while doing it." This movie was the latter.

This movie was doomed from the very beginning, and absolutely nobody should be "surprised" that it's completely bombing out.

OrijinalDreamin

Nov 15, 2014
Gearhead mk2 said:
Xsjadoblayde said:

Too right. However comics Doom is a multi-faceted character with a large amount of depth, and not just a mustache-twirling caricature of evil; there's no way he could fit into the Hollywood morals of black-and-white/good-vs-evil .

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
MarsAtlas said:
FPLOON said:
Then again, I really stopped giving two shits about any of the licensing property bullshit between Marvel and Sony/Fox outside of who owns the movie version of Galactus at this point...
Pretty sure he appeared in Silver Surfer, meaning that he belongs to Fox.
Not necessarily. Quick Silver was in both Marvel and Fox movies, so it's possible that it could be an up in the air thing.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I've not seen it, but it's sad to be reminded that the X-Men films are the only good superhero films Fox can make.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
The Incredibles is a better FF movie than either of them.
Of course it was, but that observation is both as old as the movie itself, and has little to do with Marvel itself, which is why I brought up a Marvel movie.

Not that I'm crying foul or blaming Fox for how they ruined FF, since I've never had any love for this property. I keep hearing how they're the quintessential super hero team, how Reed Richards is the smartest man in the Marvel universe, and how Dr. Doom is its greatest villain and was Darth Vader before Darth Vader, but I generally rank about as high as the Bionic Six. I remember even finding The Fantastic Four cartoon show super lame, and this was at a time when Fox was knocking it out of the park with X-Men and Spider-Man.
One of the things that's always puzzled me about the hate for this movie is the complaint that Miles Teller is too young. Reed was originally a wunderkind. I believe in the Ultiamte universe he's even explicitly young. They all are.

People are quick to call that something is "ruined" anyway. I remember people losing their shit that Matt Smith's Doctor held a gun because The Doctor never carries a gun six episodes after Dave tennant's Doctor held a gun to the head of the Master. People will look for any excuse to complain about something they don't like.

At the same time, neither of the FF movies they released previously were any good, which may indeed come down to lack of passion. But they managed to wring a couple of good X-Men movies out.

I never really followed the FF, and mostly am aware of them through team-ups, crossovers, and event comics (all sort of the same thing), but I mean, that's sort of why I brought up Guardians, too. Marvel's done a good job marketing characters people don't care about. They've got me interested in seeing Ant-Man, they got me to actually want to see Captain America (someone whose motives I've liked, but who I usually found boring in the books) and made people care about Iron Downey and Thor (people who I have followed at some point), etc., etc.

As such, I would love a good FF movie. But, like you, I lack investment in the characters otherwise. It doesn't burn me up that it's considered a bad movie, so much as disappoint me that this is still a thing during the so-called Marvel Renaissance.

Still, Marvel could probably make a working movie with them.

klaynexas3 said:
Not necessarily. Quick Silver was in both Marvel and Fox movies, so it's possible that it could be an up in the air thing.
Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch were negotiated as part of the Avengers and the X-Men universe, and as such are a special case. While other characters like Silver Surfer and Galactus cross over, they're not so up in the air,

The Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon changed the big bad from the Kingpin to Tombstone because rights to Tombstone went to them while rights to Kingpin were part of Daredevil's deal. I bring this up specifically because, despite this deal, Kingpin first appears in Amazing Spider-Man.

It comes down to who, specifically, has been licensed. Though I should note that Fox currently has the rights to all things mutant.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
As such, I would love a good FF movie. But, like you, I lack investment in the characters otherwise. It doesn't burn me up that it's considered a bad movie, so much as disappoint me that this is still a thing during the so-called Marvel Renaissance.

Still, Marvel could probably make a working movie with them.
While Marvel's mass production of super hero movies is kinda wearing me down, this new Fantastic Four does put in stark perspective how well Marvel actually has its affairs in order. Even when most of their movies sorta feel like assembly line productions, they're still very solid movies. It also goes to show how much super hero movies have improved, since we used to get shit like this all the time.