So how is Deus Ex: Human Revolution?

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
A bit too stealthy to be called great, but it's pretty good.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
theevilgenius60 said:
I'm only on the first mission after augmentation, but so far it's the shit. I'm a big Mass Effect fan and this feels like a darker, grittier, more customizable Mass Effect 2. Then again this is just me seeing it through the first bit. Here's hoping it keeps this up
Badass avatar. Also, some stuff to avoid incurring mod wrath. Wrath is a word that is not unlike wraith.

Redem

Dec 21, 2009
Ok got myself hooked on the game, just defeated the first boss

he wouldn't have been that bad if didn't not have his grenade, but it made for a nice death sequence

I had a few issue at first, mostly control related, but I'm finally getting the hang of it, but I can say I'm hook as off now

Loading time can be a pain, thought usually not so much when you keep dying and have to reload a lot

The social jousting quite fun

Praxis point take a while to get, which may or may not be justified (plus it still early in-game), since you tend to only get one at a time its a bit hard to have a well ornated upgrade tree since at the same time you can have a use for a fully upgrade skills at any time rather than a diversity in them

While regeneration system pretty good, Jensen get pulverise in second by stuff JC would have survived, mind you I still haven't upgrade my defense

I'm not quite sure the story will manage to be on par with DXI (ok that would be pretty hard), while they do seem have manage to strike some sort of balance between something that would interest both Deux Ex fan and new comer alike, its a bit hard to see what I stake so far, although I appreciate as something of a personal story with more focus on the character (which is good and perfect for a prequel)

Souplex

Jul 29, 2008
Enamour said:
Souplex said:
What!
It's pretty darn focused on being stealthy. That kills a lot of the fun.
When I buy an RPG, I expect to be able to play it my way, but you get significantly more EXP for being stealthy, and your health is so pitiful that stealth is pretty much the entire option.
As scientists have pointed out for years:
Stealth =/= Fun.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Neuromaster said:
Any word on how it plays with older hardware on the PC? I'm running an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz and a Nvidia GTX260, so I'm a bit concerned about framerate issues.
I've got a Core 2 Duo 6600 (2.4GHz) and a GTX 460, and for the most part the game runs great on high settings. A couple instances of low framerate right after I load an area, but after that it's fine.

Just got done playing a little over 5 hours straight, and I'm absolutely addicted. I'm thinking about quitting my job just so I don't have to wait all day to play it again (not really, but it is damn good).

svenjl

Mar 16, 2011
Re: controls - can you customize the controls? Got the 360 version, yet to arrive. It'll be cool, but I will need time to digest and shit out my disappointment if the right stick is iron sights, specially if you have to hold the stick down WHILE aiming. Groan...please say it ain't so!

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Souplex said:
You can totally run and gun it if you want.

Jul 9, 2008
Skorpyo said:
Take the awesomeness of the original, take all the good parts of Mass Effect 2 and Alpha Protocol, and you're pretty much there.

It's really, really good. I've yet to find much to complain about.
Since you brought up AP: I've yet to play this, but my impression from what I've heard is that it's basically like if Alpha Protocol had actually been polished a considerable amount. That sound right to you?

Caligulust

Apr 3, 2010
It's cool.

Though, I wish I had paid more attention to which computer perk I put skills into.
Level two hacking would have been helpful.

I also have problems with judging whether I'll actually be able to take down a guy without his friends knowing. Not worth the load time to try everything.

Nicolairigel

May 6, 2011
Im loving it so far, have never played anything like it. The combat controls took a while to get used to, but once I did I started to love the tactical feel to it. Have only played an half-hour or 45 mins, but so far im intrigued by the story and can't wait to get a long period of play time on this awesome game. It has started crashing though, but maybe I can look up a solution online. I would suggest it to anybody, just don't go in with a CoD or a any regular fps attitude, or you are going to get your ass kicked. Just go buy it if you havent.

Nicolairigel

May 6, 2011
Souplex said:
I can see how stealth isnt your type of game style, but thats not a reason to say its not great. Its like saying mass effect has too much scifi to be great, Its really just preference.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Souplex said:
When I buy an RPG, I expect to be able to play it my way, but you get significantly more EXP for being stealthy, and your health is so pitiful that stealth is pretty much the entire option.
Stealth =/= Fun.
I'm pretty sure that there are many people who enjoy stealth and I really hope that whole scientists thing you said was a joke and that you weren't being serious. How can it be proven that stealth isn't fun? If stealth isn't fun then why do people like the Thief or Hitman games? Why was "All Ghillied Up" one of the best levels in CoD 4?

Maybe nowadays there are more people who prefer to go in guns blazing without a second thought, but that does not mean that there aren't people who would prefer a more tactical approach.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
Souplex said:
Stealth =/= Fun.
So the Thief series isn't fun in the slightest, then? ;P

I haven't played any of the previous games, and I haven't played any of the other games that people have been comparing it to (like, say, Mass Effect). Do you all think someone like me would still enjoy it then? I love customization and FPS, and definitely stealth, so the answer is looking quite favourable, but I'd like an actual opinion from someone who has played it.

Mr. 47

May 25, 2011
Buy it. NOW. Don't finish reading this, pick up your wallet and go. If it keeps going up at the rate it's going, It's the best game I ever played (I haven't played the first Deus Ex, however.)

I have it on PS3, so I can't voutch for controls if you are a PC gamer, but the PS3 controls works great with it. The PS3 loading times are bad, but not crippling. I had only played the Deus Ex 1 demo on PC (but I did pick it up today on steam!) so I can't compare to the full game, but it plays a lot like the demo with a cover system (which you don't need, you can just crouch behind boxes, if you want to play it like the first game.)

I played a good four hours of it without a break. I forgot to do the major side objective in the first true mission of the game (I still can't believe I forgot about that, massive failure on my part), and had a save from before the level, so I went back and replayed the hour and a half (stealthy) mission. I re-did the mission stealthily again, and did it a completely different way, I saw vents that I didn't notice the first time around, I noticed take down opertunities I missed, as well as side rooms I left unexplored. I had more fun the second time, then the first.

The little combat I did was great, the stealth was fantastic. God help me for stating this on a site ripe with PC gamers, but I could compare it to Metal Gear Solid 4, only better in every single way. As I said, the stealth is great. Enemies are a little dumb with movement, and field of vision, but they notice if someone has suddenly gone missing.

Some events are covertly timed. I fapped about too much in a hub like area before the mission above, and recieved a call from my boss basicly calling me a fucking idiot for not going to him sonner, and that the situation that I was called in to fix worsened, causing me to be unable to complete the side objective.

Seriously, go now. You won't regret it.

Souplex

Jul 29, 2008
Nicolairigel said:
Souplex said:
I can see how stealth isnt your type of game style, but thats not a reason to say its not great. Its like saying mass effect has too much scifi to be great, Its really just preference.
But Sci-Fi is a good thing.
ChupathingyX said:
Souplex said:
Stealth =/= Fun.
I'm pretty sure that there are many people who enjoy stealth and I really hope that whole scientists thing you said was a joke and that you weren't being serious. How can it be proven that stealth isn't fun? If stealth isn't fun then why do people like the Thief or Hitman games? Why was "All Ghillied Up" one of the best levels in CoD 4?

Maybe nowadays there are more people who prefer to go in guns blazing without a second thought, but that does not mean that there aren't people who would prefer a more tactical approach.
There is nothing tactical about simply hiding behind a wall, and waiting for your enemies to go away.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
My Gripes:

Compressed BINK videos
They, quite frankly, look like shit. I play at 1080p with everything maxed out at around 90 FPS. These things are probably around 720p (or LESS), compressed to hell and run at 30fps. It's incredibly jarring to have one of these just pop up; it looks like they're from a different game.

Taking control away
The only time I saw this happen was at the beginning. I won't spoil anything, but there's an on rails section where you basically get to watch your character walk around in first person mode for about 5 minutes. why the hell couldn't I control where he goes?. It just sticks you with the feeling you're not actually playing.

Crashing
This is obviously a subjective point on my part, because others won't have this problem. But about every 1/6th of the time I go to load a save, the game crashes. It's frustrating, especially given the mile long amount of company logos at the start of the game and the pseudo-long load times.

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
Souplex said:
Stealth =/= Fun.
What game are you playing? Certainly not Deus Ex, since I haven't noticed getting any rewards for bypassing enemies. You only get xp if you kill or subdue enemies. Are you talking about getting a whole WHOPPING 30 more xp for using a takedown instead of shooting them with a gun? Besides, the guns blazing option is the easiest and quickest in DE:HR anyways. This isn't Serious Sam you know... you can't stand in the middle of a room circle-strafing and expect to live. The few gunfights I have gotten into aren't difficult: you just have to know how to use cover effectively, and keep moving. Seriously man... what game are you playing? I'd really like to know. Or are you talking about the ghost BONUS? Because that's just a... bonus. I really don't think you are playing the same Deus Ex as everyone else...

That's actually another problem I have. I haven't noticed getting a reward for bypassing enemies. Apparently DE thinks that the real show of skill isn't slipping by your foe unnoticed, but having to smack them in the head before you do. It's really disappointing... even Alpha Protocol gave you a little bit of xp for being able to bypass your enemy.

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
Stall said:
Souplex said:
Stealth =/= Fun.
What game are you playing? Certainly not Deus Ex, since I haven't noticed getting any rewards for bypassing enemies. You only get xp if you kill or subdue enemies. Are you talking about getting a whole WHOPPING 30 more xp for using a takedown instead of shooting them with a gun? Besides, the guns blazing option is the easiest and quickest in DE:HR anyways. This isn't Serious Sam you know... you can't stand in the middle of a room circle-strafing and expect to live. The few gunfights I have gotten into aren't difficult: you just have to know how to use cover effectively, and keep moving. Seriously man... what game are you playing? I'd really like to know. Or are you talking about the ghost BONUS? Because that's just a... bonus. I really don't think you are playing the same Deus Ex as everyone else...

That's actually another problem I have. I haven't noticed getting a reward for bypassing enemies. Apparently DE thinks that the real show of skill isn't slipping by your foe unnoticed, but having to smack them in the head before you do. It's really disappointing... even Alpha Protocol gave you a little bit of xp for being able to bypass your enemy.
You actually do get points for completing an objective without being seen. Its called a "Ghost" bonus. Several hundred points (300), I think. There is also "Smooth Operator" for not setting off any alarms.