So I just got back from seeing Avengers Assemble

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
WanderingFool said:
Okay, so The Avengers starts playing in the US on May 4, and it seems everyone else has already saw it...

...god dammit...
Dude, I am right there with you. *man-hug*

Where the hell do you all live!?

..This anticipation after reading these comments is damned killing me!!

D:

jebbo

Jul 17, 2009
ShadowsofHope said:

D:
UK theatrical release was today with advance screenings earlier this week :D

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
jebbo said:
ShadowsofHope said:

D:
UK theatrical release was today with advance screenings earlier this week :D
Well then.. I am forced to hate the U.K. Theatrical schedule both this week and next week for giving me an internet full of European's that will tease the shit out of me about this movie. :p

Bah, I might have to take a rather selective hiatus from the Escapist, if this influx keeps up..

jebbo

Jul 17, 2009
ShadowsofHope said:
Well then.. I am forced to hate the U.K. Theatrical schedule both this week and next week for giving me an internet full of European's that will tease the shit out of me about this movie. :p

Bah, I might have to take a rather selective hiatus from the Escapist, if this influx keeps up..
Tease? Over something this awesome? Never.

And just the Escapist? You're probably going to have to take leave from a large section of the Internet itself to get away from reviews and reports of this awesome film...

Did I mention how awesome it is? It's pretty damn awesome. In case you were wondering.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
WanderingFool said:
Okay, so The Avengers starts playing in the US on May 4, and it seems everyone else has already saw it...

...god dammit...
Welcome to our world :p

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
I saw this yesterday and my only real complaint was that it felt like some of the 2 character interactions in act 2 were a bit forced like they were ticking off a list. Other then that, all the action, dialogue, sets etc felt like it was lifted directly from a comic and shoved on screen. The Dark Knight may be the best film based on a comic, but this was the best "Comic Book" film.

It also managed to do something I never thought possible in I actually enjoyed watching the Hulk. I've never really been a fan of the Hulk in the comics or films (Banners awesome though, but in this he was really well handled.

Cpt Corallis said:
EDIT: Also, That long panning shot in
New York where every team member is fighting and the camera follows the action in one sweeping motion
That was one of the best things I've seen in cinema in a very long time.
I saw that shot and it took me a few seconds to realise that it was all done in one take. It really is the best action movie shot in years and topped off by the a brilliant comic moment from the Hulk with Thor that had the whole cinema (normal people, not comic geeks) in laughter.

Feb 28, 2008
I am so pumped about seeing this film, my gosh. I thought it was released 4th May as in the US, but apparently it's been out since yesterday here in the UK. Finally, the tables have turned!

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Surprisingly funny, nearly every character had at lest one point where at least part of the audience cracked up. Joss Whedon certainly left his mark and unfortunately his calling card as well. The 3D was well done too with very few "handheld camera" shots to make you uncomfortable.

Dryk said:
WanderingFool said:

...god dammit...
Welcome to our world :p
Yes America, a world where YOU have to wait for the release!

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
PoliceBox63 said:
Yep, pretty much my thoughts. Watched it at the IMAX in Liverpool, was such a great experience!

I think the entire thing wrapped all of the characters together really well, and it was great to see it not focussing too much on any one character (in honesty, a big fear of mine was that it was basically going to be Iron Man 3 with the rest thrown in).

Great ending, and the little easter egg at the end was like ZOOOOOOMMMGGG!121!

For me, Hulk took man of the match, combining some serious ass-kickery with some fantastically funny moments (the bit with Captain America, the bit with Thor, and then the bit with Loki).

And lastly, the fan-service shots of Scarlett in some compromising positions :).

PS - Was anyone decidedly unimpressed with Stark's suit? I was expecting some cool new mods, but all we got was the Mark-7 which only had one new feature worth talking about. I was just a bit meh. Stark himself was on form, as always, though.

jebbo said:
The only thing I didn't get was the post credits reveal, suppose me and my mate aren't big enough Marvel fans to know...

Some kind of purple alien warlord king? Smiling at the prospect of fighting humanity as being as difficult as taking on death itself. Awesome line, bad ass looking dude. No idea who he was.

... anyone care to enlighten me?
It's Red Skull, £10 says he's the baddie in Avengers 2.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
It was okay. It had some painfully bad dialogue typical of action movies and the fact that all the females on the airship looked like supermodels was kind of awkward and distracting. However, it did have some funny parts and the action was decent enough. Bar that one scene where Thor is fighting Loki and it zooms in really close to their armpits and that's all you can see for a solid minute. That was weird.

But yeah, it was fine I guess. Way over hyped.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
kman123 said:
Is it Avengers Assemble or just The Avengers?

Haven't seen it yet which is basically criminal since they had the grace to release it in international markets first but, whatever, I can wait. The hype train for me kinda wandered off: while I loved, LOVED Iron Man and to an extent the Incredible Hulk (irrelevant at this point since Ed Norton isn't even in it </3) I thought Iron Man 2, Captain America was shit and Thor average.
It's Avengers Assemble in the UK and The Avengers everywhere else. We have this old tv show called The Avengers so there was a copyright issue.

OT: there are only three words I can use. BEST. MOVIE. EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WaReloaded

Jan 20, 2011
I saw it on Wednesday (or was it yesterday?) with my housemates and it exceeded my every expectation, I knew it was going to be good, but I didn't think it'd be that good! However, the majority of the audience laughed at things that weren't meant for comedy and it made listening to the dialogue quite difficult.
/shrug

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Griffolion said:
Nope. Not Red Skull.

[link]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanos[/link]

Although at first glance I thought it was Red Skull too.

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
anthony87 said:
Griffolion said:
Nope. Not Red Skull.

[link]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanos[/link]

Although at first glance I thought it was Red Skull too.
I suggest putting that link in spoiler quotes.

Saw the film yesterday with my girlfriend (who had only seen Captain America) and it's now joint first in my favourite comic book films ever (next to Dark Knight). The action was incredible, the 3D effects were subtle, and it was also emotional for a comic book film.

There were some moments which were just too spectacular for words -

The shot of everyone fighting in New York was just incredible, and then when Hulk punched Thor when it all ended had the whole screen laughing.

Iron Man taking the missile to the Chitauri, and trying to call Pepper but she's too busy watching the TV footage of New York to notice he's calling. Very, very emotional.

Hulk pummeling Loki in Stark Tower mid-speech was hilarious. The look on his face and the out-of-breath noises just added to the hilarity

THANOS IN SEQUEL! INFINITY GAUNTLET!

My girlfriend enjoyed this so much she wants to watch Thor, the Iron Man films and Incredible Hulk. I love her too much for words.

Mark Ruffalo is a brilliant Bruce Banner, and I would say he is better than Edward Norton.

Also, this might be stupid, but does anyone think, POSSIBLY, that -

Coulson survived? When Maria Hill is talking to Nick Fury and says that the Captain America trading cards were in his locker (covered in blood)...could Coulson have put all that stuff there before disappearing, so Fury could give the Avengers something to fight for? I live in hope, Coulson was awesome...

So yes, film lives up to every expectation.

BishopofAges

Sep 15, 2010
I do want to see this movie, I am glad people actually are saying good stuff about it. My favorite bits are character interactions.

Just to be immature for abit, in the the 'popular forum posts' section, it looks like this thread topic is "So I just got back from seeing Avengers Ass"

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Just one question.

Does Captain America shout Avengers! Assemble! while everyone strikes a pose and this plays in the background?

it fucking better!
also i HATE YOU ALL!!! i have to wait till may 10th to go to Avengers...
i would sell my left testicle to see it now...

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
ShadowsofHope said:
WanderingFool said:

...god dammit...
Dude, I am right there with you. *man-hug*

D:
what are you bitching about?! we have to wait till fucking may 10th!!!
its a full week of torment and spoiler avoiding! god this is going to be a bloody nightmare!