So Long, Bandai Entertainment

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
chaosyoshimage said:
Well, and neo-ADV, Sentai Filmworks. They've been on the upswing lately.
On a related note, my father was the CFO for ADV here in the states when all that shit was going down. And to anyone with any doubts, selling out like they did was the only thing that kept them from dying completely.

Arizona Kyle

Aug 25, 2010
oldtaku said:
I remember their original prices being utterly ridiculous for the US market. Japanese consumers might be willing to pay $20-40 an ep for a series, but I'm not. Perhaps they lowered prices since, but I haven't been keeping track.
Ha 20.... bucks..... hold on *does some reasearch*

well not twenty bucks but hell still pretty pricey for me.... Funimation away!!!!

Arizona Kyle

Aug 25, 2010
xyrafhoan said:
Yes, Americans like established brands. No, they won't be blinded (except in very special cases) to poor release schedules, overpriced merchandise, and outdated product.
**cough** **cough** Apple **cough** **cough**

Oudated not so much but its like a lazer pointer to a cat.... oh shiney must follow much catch

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
Phlakes said:
chaosyoshimage said:
Well, and neo-ADV, Sentai Filmworks. They've been on the upswing lately.
On a related note, my father was the CFO for ADV here in the states when all that shit was going down. And to anyone with any doubts, selling out like they did was the only thing that kept them from dying completely.
I can see that since Geneon was too bloated and completely imploded upon itself.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
Arizona Kyle said:
xyrafhoan said:
Yes, Americans like established brands. No, they won't be blinded (except in very special cases) to poor release schedules, overpriced merchandise, and outdated product.
**cough** **cough** Apple **cough** **cough**

Oudated not so much but its like a lazer pointer to a cat.... oh shiney must follow much catch
Well I see someone got what I was hinting at.

Sadly every time I go to Japan the price of media there is ridiculous. $10 for a single? $30-$40 for an album? Of MUSIC? $40+ for a DVD with 3 episodes on it? $80+ for a single game? Japanese companies are trying to make the same margins per unit sold as in North America, but I feel that NA is more about volume sold moreso than mark-up and those prices just don't fly in the digital age.

These companies almost make Apple look like a savant in terms of pricing for value.

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
Nichijou makes me very sad but you know what's worse?
They also had a license of Star Driver.
I liked Nichijou more but I don't think a Dub would work well for a show like that, Star Driver on the other hand would have been perfect.
Kiraboshi to all!
http://maniakku.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/kiraboshi.jpg?w=450

Feb 9, 2011
Wow, I did not see that coming. I guess we're at the mercy of Funimation now, which already likes to package anime in "seasons" so they can split the series and hit you twice for the whole series. Ugh...what can you do (nothing)?

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Damn it!
MY AVATAR DEMANDS MORE GUNDAM 00 MANGA!
00F WAS THE ONLY ONE WE GOT AND IT WASN'T EVEN THE FIRST ONE!

Unless this is JUST North America, instead of this site only commenting on North American things...
Is there still hope for Europe?

Cheeseman Muncher

Apr 7, 2009
It probably shows how much anime I watch when my first thought was "Noooooooooo, Power Rangers toys =(" despite the fact the last time I owned one was about 12 years ago.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
This just affects dubs, Bandai doesn't make anime for America, they make them for Japan and they will continue to do so, any real anime lover wouldn't feel perturbed by this at all and would keep being a huge fan of the series they love despite it not being brought over.

Hell, most fans have already watched all these series months before they're even brought over here, it's that delay and failure which made them not turn in enough profit and close up shop.

They thought that anime fans in America are still living 20 years ago where the only things they knew about anime was what Japan wished to share with them when in fact anime fans around the world can watch a fan-subtitled episode a day after it premiers in Japanese tv in subtitles often better than an official sub.

Victorique is still adorable as hell, I mean, look at her:

Does she seem any less cute because you won't be able to buy the blue ray version of her anime at your local store? Does the lack of a dub somehow affect her existence at all? I don't think so.

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
Dr. Pepper Unlimited said:
Wow, I did not see that coming. I guess we're at the mercy of Funimation now, which already likes to package anime in "seasons" so they can split the series and hit you twice for the whole series. Ugh...what can you do (nothing)?
Well we still have section 23 (former ADV) , Viz , the right stuff and sentai filmworks.

No offence but the closing of Tokyopop was much worse for me(so many unfinished mangas :/ )
Although i wanted to get K-On after a while. Although Bandai did release some really interesting titles in the past.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
D Moness said:
Dr. Pepper Unlimited said:
Well we still have section 23 (former ADV) , Viz , the right stuff and sentai filmworks.

No offence but the closing of Tokyopop was much worse for me(so many unfinished mangas :/ )
Although i wanted to get K-On after a while. Although Bandai did release some really interesting titles in the past.

Tokyopop was dead for me ever since I read this article on ANN about them hosting an "America's biggest Otaku" or something. I said to myself then and there that I would not help turn anime into something as disgusting and whored out as those types of reality shows where people try to pretend to out-otaku others (as though being an otaku is a good thing...sigh...they weren't going with the actual meaning of the word that's for sure) and behave in the most ridiculous and fake manner imaginable.

Hookman

Jul 2, 2008
Is this going to affect Namco Bandais games? If so, that'll definetly have a big effect on the industry. This seemed to come out of nowhere!

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Oh no, how could I continue to live without *Looks at list* oh wait, nevermind.

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
Drakmeire said:
Nichijou makes me very sad but you know what's worse?
They also had a license of Star Driver.
I liked Nichijou more but I don't think a Dub would work well for a show like that, Star Driver on the other hand would have been perfect.
Kiraboshi to all!
http://maniakku.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/kiraboshi.jpg?w=450
http://kurogane.animeblogger.net/image/winter2011/star_23_a1.jpg

...Oh fuck, they did have that license. Well I can kiss my European release hopes goodbye if NA isn't getting it.

At first, I was like "Well I don't watch or read any of these things so I'm not affected". Now... well my day isn't turning out great.