So Long, Bandai Entertainment

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
vansau said:
Manga:

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Volume 7
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Dreiko said:
This just affects dubs, Bandai doesn't make anime for America, they make them for Japan and they will continue to do so, any real anime lover wouldn't feel perturbed by this at all and would keep being a huge fan of the series they love despite it not being brought over.

Hell, most fans have already watched all these series months before they're even brought over here, it's that delay and failure which made them not turn in enough profit and close up shop.

They thought that anime fans in America are still living 20 years ago where the only things they knew about anime was what Japan wished to share with them when in fact anime fans around the world can watch a fan-subtitled episode a day after it premiers in Japanese tv in subtitles often better than an official sub.

Victorique is still adorable as hell, I mean, look at her:

Does she seem any less cute because you won't be able to buy the blue ray version of her anime at your local store? Does the lack of a dub somehow affect her existence at all? I don't think so.
That's true. But, I do like being able to buy the DVDs to support the stuff I like. I've bought a lot of anime DVDs of stuff I already had fansubbed versions of.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Well, I've lost nothing. I don't think I've watched an anime from them since Gundam Seed. And since the only way I can get anime it to either watch it streamed, or pay 70$ upwards for one DVD season. I'm just gona keep watching whatever I want online thanks. I don't usually find new anime to watch anyways till it's been out for afew years. Which is fine.

*Continues praying for Spice & Wolf season 3 anime*. One day. Where Macgyver, that dude loves Spice and Wolf.

beniki

May 28, 2009
Palademon said:
Damn it!
MY AVATAR DEMANDS MORE GUNDAM 00 MANGA!
00F WAS THE ONLY ONE WE GOT AND IT WASN'T EVEN THE FIRST ONE!

Unless this is JUST North America, instead of this site only commenting on North American things...
Is there still hope for Europe?
There's never hope for Europe :(

We're lucky if we get the stuff that's popular in America, and back when I was in London it cost £6 for a single volume of manga. And that stuff only lasted about an hour or two of reading.

Having worked in Japan for a Japanese company, I can't say I'm surprised by the logic that lead to this. Living in Japan is like living in a bubble, which makes perfect sense if you grew up there, or are prepared to give your life over to social regulation.

Definitely wasn't for me. I ran back to Vietnam the first chance I got, where cheating is the first reaction, and roads are merely a suggestion for traffic, rather than the main channels.

NinjaDC

Jan 24, 2010
Atleast this is not a blame piracy article like so many eventually delve into.
That was a factor, no doubt, but more in the WOW this series is defiantly not worth 130$, getting informed kind of way
Bandai closing is sad, but understandable, especially if you look at the management.
The Japanese heads were out of touch with the US branch, causing bad release schedules & high prices.
You CAN still pull that off, but only with a maga hit series under your license & Bandai lacked that sense Code Geuss ended.
Expecting to be successful by releasing products 2X the price of your competition, and at bad times/delays is just ludicrous
Hopefully Funimation wil get some of the big Licenses

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
Dreiko said:
They wouldn't sub it either, would they? The only thing we'll have is illegal fan subs. So unless all of these "real anime fans" are also fluent in Japanese, they're just as fucked.

Otaku World Order said:
That's true. But, I do like being able to buy the DVDs to support the stuff I like. I've bought a lot of anime DVDs of stuff I already had fansubbed versions of.
This. When I go to Otakon I'll spend upwards of $400 on anime DVDs and manga. I don't buy during the rest of the year. I like to purchase a bunch of full series that I heard good things about during the year, buy them and watch them until the next Otakon. I support the anime industry!

I do buy manga outside of cons though. The mangas I'm reading are still being released and I'd prefer to have the story still somewhat fresh in my mind. It does suck waiting for 3 months for something I can burn through in an hour though :( The best thing is learning about a series, making a mental note to check it out sometimes and then forgetting for a couple years so the entire series is out. I bought the entire Dragon Head series at once. Twas glorious. GLORIOUS!

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Well, thank god for the people who produce fan-subs. I'll still get my shows then.

Plus, I think Nichijou especially would lose its atmosphere if it got dubbed, the Japanese voices make it seem madder than it already is.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Ah, man. Bandai was one of the few distributors that regularly produced tolerable dubs and even produced one or two good ones. Not that I ever watched the dubs myself, but I always at least appreciated their commitment to it.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
Are these the guys that handled the Naruto dub, or am I thinking of someone else. A darn shame either way.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Chemical Alia said:
Well, that's a shame. On the plus side, less anime!
Thats like saying "Well its a downer that games got banned, on the plus side, less games." Sounds sorta dickish.

I'd support Funimation but they failed to keep Case Closed running. DAMN YOU, that show was a combination of adorable, drama and suspense.

Alluos

Nov 7, 2010
When I saw in the list of discontinued media "Code Geass" my first thought was "NOOOOOO" then I realized it was a manga and went "oh, phew, almost scared me there...".

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
Aprilgold said:
Chemical Alia said:
Well, that's a shame. On the plus side, less anime!
Thats like saying "Well its a downer that games got banned, on the plus side, less games." Sounds sorta dickish.

I'd support Funimation but they failed to keep Case Closed running. DAMN YOU, that show was a combination of adorable, drama and suspense.
Agrees with you.
This opinion is growing a bit here that is really arrogant and selfish. The "if i do not like it, it shouldn't exist" way of thinking. Why can't people that do not like a certain thing just keep their nose out of topics that they do not care about anyway. Why do people have to act like an ass towards other people's hobbies just because they do not like it. I just report post like that since it is more or less breaking the respect others bit of the forum.

By the way your last bit reminds me of why i sort of dislike Dark horse (besides releasing Oh my goddess manga for a third time, finally in the original format) canceling one of the better (in my opinion) titles 3X3 eyes(sazan eyes) not once but twice >.<

slackbheep

Sep 10, 2008
lacktheknack said:
SachielOne said:
Gee, Escapist, if only you'd picked up on this when I sent you a tip about it THREE DAYS AGO.
They needed an official citation. Did you give them one?

OT: Gah. I hate hearing about popular companies shutting down. ;_;
Official Citation? The Escapist? Oh sir you slay me.
On topic: Sad to see these guys go, they don't make anything I watch but at best they'll be replaced by someone who is far less interested in making proper translations. I suppose I could just be jaded, but sloppy "localized" translations seem to be the industry standard this side of the ocean.

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
The pain......the idea of no anime in north america......im literaly going to an anime convention this weekend :'( WHY BANDAI WHY?!?!?! JAPAN DONT MAKE ME HATE YOU!!!

Penguinishka

Mar 19, 2009
Noooo! Rest in peace Bandai Entertainment. I'm pretty certain that at the height of my anime love, in the era of Toonami, their DVDs and videos were the majority of my purchases. Gundam Wing, Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne...
My heart goes out to anyone who was waiting for Turn A, I seriously thought they already had that dub covered.
I suddenly feel much more inclined to purchase some Funimation titles I've been eyeing >_>

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
Note to Japanese companies: Americans are not willing to pay the same price for anime as the Japanese are. The prices of our media our different and you have to adapt to that if you want to make any money in another country.

This also goes for BBC and the ridiculous prices of their Doctor Who DVDs/Blu-Rays.

coates32

Jun 10, 2011
Penguinishka said:
Noooo! Rest in peace Bandai Entertainment. I'm pretty certain that at the height of my anime love, in the era of Toonami, their DVDs and videos were the majority of my purchases. Gundam Wing, Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne...
My heart goes out to anyone who was waiting for Turn A, I seriously thought they already had that dub covered.
I suddenly feel much more inclined to purchase some Funimation titles I've been eyeing >_>
Saddly, Bandai wasn't going to dub Turn A Gundam.

On Topic:

I'm going to miss Bandai. They brought some of my favorites such as Hauri Suzumiya, Lucky Star, My Hime, and Gundam. I just hope that many of their other stuff doesn't go out of print too quickly.