So MovieBob had some crap to say about that there Mass Effect 3 thingy...

paislyabmj

Mar 25, 2012
endtherapture said:
EDIT3: Bioware do owe the fans something. Their fans are their business. They have no fans = they sell no products. Bioware owe their livelihoods to fans, and the fans have been cheated out of a decent ending. Expect the next Bioware game to sell very poorly.

EDIT4: He needs to stop saying entitlement here. Gamers aren't entitled. They pay for their products. Maybe it's different for him and other critics cos they get free games/movies/etc. to review and stuff, but when you've spent £30 of your cash on a game, and it is overall shit, and you say it, you're not entitled.
i take a bit of an issue with these 2 statements.in the first one I think you are overestimating the importance of hardcore bioware fans in the grand scheme of things. I read in a news artical about the me3 ending that the game sold over 800000 copy's, and that was ages ago.the vast majority of those sales will be from just people who saw the adds and the reviews and picked it up from the shelves.bioware may have a largo following but I don't think that losing there following would bankrupt them or be any major inconvenience at all.

the second problem is that when you say"but when you've spent £30 of your cash on a game, and it is overall shit, and you say it, you're not entitled" i think you are kinda missing the point.bob never said that you cant dislike the ending or not expect better or whatever.it was the people who wanted alternative ending dlc and the ones who are taking bioware to court he seemed pissed of at.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
endtherapture said:
I feel like I should just stop watching as soon as he said he hasn't played the games because if you haven't played or experienced the full journey, you have no idea how bad the ending is.
Even if hasn't played a single game ever, it doesn't detract from his point: That players (or readers, or watchers) do not have a say over the product an arist/company/whatever has in the end put out. They can like it, or dislike it, but that is all. They have no right, and are not entitled to a right, to demand a change. Even if said person/company has said "I promise THIS SHIT WILL BE AWESOME AND HAVE SPACEHAMSTERS", and then it doesn't have it.

If it sucks, it sucks. True, if a product is sold with blatant lies (and I wouldn't call ME3 "blatant lies", the ending might not be all that was promised, though), then in some businesses, you can get a refund. In the videogame-business, one can't (especially the PC-market, with 0 trade-in).
Go fight that instead.

(and for the record; if ME3 had Spacehamsters, I wouldn't have given two cents of a fuck about the ending)

Edit: http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Space_Hamster Holy shit, spoke too soon. /Fuck not given.

Seriously, why the hell are people bitching about the ending? YOU HAVE A GODDAMN SPACE-HAMSTER IN THE GAME.

Worr Monger

Jan 21, 2008
endtherapture said:
Expect the next Bioware game to sell very poorly.
I like when people are so sure of this. They forget that 99% of ME3 was actually a very good game... despite the ending.

I don't voice my opinion on the ending as much as everyone else...because quite frankly... I think everyone else says enough about it, so I don't really need to.

I can say that I was honestly disappointed by the ending of ME3. But I can guarantee you that I'll be buying the shit out of whatever they make next... because for people like me, they still make quality games.... and I'm willing to bet a lot of people will be doing the same.

(March Mayhem, right here on the Escapist seems to agree with me also)

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Guys, we had a thread going [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.355624-MovieBobs-thoughts-on-the-ME3-ending-controversy?page=1]. Ahh well, my thoughts here. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.355624-MovieBobs-thoughts-on-the-ME3-ending-controversy?page=18#14160427]

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Worr Monger said:
endtherapture said:
I like when people are so sure of this. They forget that 99% of ME3 was actually a very good game... despite the ending.

I don't voice my opinion of it as much as everyone else...because quite frankly... I think everyone else says enough about it, so I don't really need to.

I can say that I was honestly disappointed by the ending of ME3. But I can guarantee you that I'll be buying the shit out of whatever they make next... because for people like me, they still make quality games.... and I'm willing to bet a lot of people will be doing the same.

(March Madness, right here on the Escapist seems to agree with me also)
It's the same tune every time the rabid morons go "ARGH, GONNA BOYCOT THIS SHIT".

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Realitycrash said:
endtherapture said:
I feel like I should just stop watching as soon as he said he hasn't played the games because if you haven't played or experienced the full journey, you have no idea how bad the ending is.
Even if hasn't played a single game ever, it doesn't detract from his point: That players (or readers, or watchers) do not have a say over the product an arist/company/whatever has in the end put out. They can like it, or dislike it, but that is all. They have no right, and are not entitled to a right, to demand a change. Even if said person/company has said "I promise THIS SHIT WILL BE AWESOME AND HAVE SPACEHAMSTERS", and then it doesn't have it.

If it sucks, it sucks. True, if a product is sold with blatant lies (and I wouldn't call ME3 "blatant lies", the ending might not be all that was promised, though), then in some businesses, you can get a refund. In the videogame-business, one can't (especially the PC-market, with 0 trade-in).
Go fight that instead.

(and for the record; if ME3 had Spacehamsters, I wouldn't have given two cents of a fuck about the ending)

Edit: http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Space_Hamster Holy shit, spoke too soon. /Fuck not given.
The only space hamster for me is Boo <3

Bioware let fans change aspects of previous ME games (well they took on feedback) - Mako sections were shit - they took them out. Scanning was shit - they took it out (mainly). No Reapers to fight in ME2 - Reaper plot in Arrival. Gunplay not good enough in ME1 - better gunplay in ME2. Lack of Liara - More Liara.

Bioware change up their games often to suit fans so the argument that we shouldnt request a better ending is silly.

Also look at CDProjekt at The Witcher 2 - the ending wasn't very satisfying, but they've taken the time to improve and lengthen it in some new (free) DLC. Does that cheapen the "artistic integrity" of the product or set a "dangerous precedent" or make fans "entitled"? No it's simply improving something.

Worr Monger

Jan 21, 2008
Realitycrash said:
Worr Monger said:
endtherapture said:

I don't voice my opinion of it as much as everyone else...because quite frankly... I think everyone else says enough about it, so I don't really need to.

(March Mayhem, right here on the Escapist seems to agree with me also)
It's the same tune every time the rabid morons go "ARGH, GONNA BOYCOT THIS SHIT".
And the best part is that in the end.... I'll bet 90% of people who say that, probably end up buying the game anyway.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
endtherapture said:
Realitycrash said:
endtherapture said:

Go fight that instead.

The only space hamster for me is Boo <3

Bioware let fans change aspects of previous ME games (well they took on feedback) - Mako sections were shit - they took them out. Scanning was shit - they took it out (mainly). No Reapers to fight in ME2 - Reaper plot in Arrival. Gunplay not good enough in ME1 - better gunplay in ME2. Lack of Liara - More Liara.

Bioware change up their games often to suit fans so the argument that we shouldnt request a better ending is silly.

Also look at CDProjekt at The Witcher 2 - the ending wasn't very satisfying, but they've taken the time to improve and lengthen it in some new (free) DLC. Does that cheapen the "artistic integrity" of the product or set a "dangerous precedent" or make fans "entitled"? No it's simply improving something.
They listened to feedback for the next game. Not the same as changing a made product, you know.
If the creator want to release an "epilogue" (and it is often done), then that's fine.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Here's a different thought: what about the people who enjoyed the ending? Are they just "wrong"?

And here's another different thought: So if they do change the ending and sell it to you, do you really think the message being sent is "consumers can change art?" or is the real message being sent to devs and publishers "we can now sell the ending to games because they'll want the ending."

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
People still listen to that guy?

I mean I wrote off his opinions as being of less value than something I scraped off my shoe after his fanboyish rush to defend Metroid Other M's characterisation.

Australian Justice
Jan 30, 2010
The points he makes where the fans sound like Misery are spot on. and also the points where the story was the result of the writers. and how the viewer/gamer ISN'T A FUCKING PARTIAL AUTHOR. because your not. you just chose some dialogue options. thats all. Mass Effect is no different to KoTOR in the ways of how the story is told. It's all shaped around DIALOGUE options. sure you may make a choice during a mission to not save the workers, and help the revenge with Zaaed, or to help the workers and save them, but it will always play out the same 2 different endings no matter what. with different dialogue options. It's a choose your own adventure game.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
endtherapture said:

You can't comment on an issue on the internet properly if you haven't experienced it.
Not exactly. You can't discuss how a game made you feel (because it didn't), but it's certainly valid to argue the literary or ludonarrative aspects of a game without playing it.
And I think he was attacking the public's reaction to it mostly, which he definitely doesn't need to play ME3 to comment on.

MrLumber

Jan 13, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
Gamers will be taken seriously when we say that we don't give a flying fuck about what other people think of our medium. Not when we get validated by someone else, but when we ignore them.
I really wish this point of view didn't permeate the internet, and gamers especially. It is so incredibly self absorbed, selfish, and downright xenophobic. Personally I want to see games expand as a medium, and that takes other people. People who before being convinced that games are art/worth anything wouldn't have stepped in a mile radius, proverbially, of a game.

In addition to this, as long as games aren't widely considered art, very few companies will have the integrity to maintain, or even attempt to maintain, that notion, because no one expects it of them.

More OT: I sorta called what was going to happen in this thread though. A lot of ME fans and bob haters coming and saying he sucks or whatever, with very little genuine discussion going on. Personally I think he has a lot of good points, but the internet is too self-justified to listen to any of them.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
GloatingSwine said:
People still listen to that guy?

I mean I wrote off his opinions as being of less value than something I scraped off my shoe after his fanboyish rush to defend Metroid Other M's characterisation.
Yes, because if one person has one opinion about one subject then everything he says on all other topics must be equally as shite.

Please don't run for any sort of office.
In fact, please don't vote at all. Not with that attitude.

AdamRhodes

Oct 4, 2010
Okay, say I bought ME3 and was dissatisfied with the overall product. Can I return the game and get a refund? NO. Because I've already played ~30 hrs which means I must have LOVED it. But there's still shit in my oatmeal when the package said "cinnamon". What I can do is ask Bioware to change the shit in my oatmeal into cinnamon. They choose whether or not to cater to my request. But if they don't that just means I'll buy my oatmeal elsewhere. So, yes. I am "entitled" to ask for a better ending because that's the ONLY thing I have the power to do.
Slayer_2 said:
endtherapture said:
EDIT3: Bioware do owe the fans something. Their fans are their business. They have no fans = they sell no products. Bioware owe their livelihoods to fans, and the fans have been cheated out of a decent ending. Expect the next Bioware game to sell very poorly.
Wrong. The mainstream market probably accounts for a far larger percentage of sales than the hardcore gamers. Also, once you've purchased the game, they legally have no obligation to you. Of any kind. Posts like this are why people are complaining about "gamer entitlement".
They may have no legal obligation, but if they truly care about their fans as they've led us to believe in the past, they need to step their game up and not completely let down thousands of people who love them.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
I'll start listening to his rants about video games when he changes his name to GamerBob.

As he's called Moviebob i'll just pass along without giving a tree whippets spunk about what he thinks.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
AdamRhodes said:
Okay, say I bought ME3 and was dissatisfied with the overall product. Can I return the game and get a refund? NO. Because I've already played ~30 hrs which means I must have LOVED it. But there's still shit in my oatmeal when the package said "cinnamon". What I can do is ask Bioware to change the shit in my oatmeal into cinnamon. They choose whether or not to cater to my request. But if they don't that just means I'll buy my oatmeal elsewhere. So, yes. I am "entitled" to ask for a better ending because that's the ONLY thing I have the power to do.
OR you can try to lobby to change the videogame-industry to change policies concerning refunds. Seems more logical? Afterall, you wanted a refund, did you not? Not to have the ending changed?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Rawne1980 said:
I'll start listening to his rants about video games when he changes his name to GamerBob.

As he's called Moviebob i'll just pass along without giving a tree whippets spunk about what he thinks.
You do know he was GAMEOverthinker first, right?

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Rawne1980 said:

You do know he was GAMEOverthinker first, right?
Yes but now he's Moviebob.

I'm using the same logic he used when starting his whole rant without playing the games first.

I.e .... no logic at all.