So MovieBob's Got a New Show...

kitsunefather

Verbose and Meandering
Nov 29, 2010
First video (or one of), discussing Nintendo, he took the time to compare anyone who sides with GamerGate to Stormfront (the white supremacist forum), which is what prompted the disclaimers.

Iklwa said:
I just wonder how many video's it'll be before he starts calling people subhuman again.
So, I'd say one.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
the silence said:
Caramel Frappe said:
You know what? Good for him, I am happy to know MovieBob is doing what he loves which involves nerd culture / video games.

This time however, I pray he acts civil and respects those who disagrees with him. Because really, if you make videos for a living and talk about things relating to politics, morals, or concepts ... you should expect people to have different opinions or claiming you're wrong in certain aspects. You can't treat you audience like a bunch of subhumans or else you'll very likely lose views if not your job on the website you're uploading your videos to.

So yea hope all goes well with MovieBob. Can't say the same for Extra Credits, but at least Jim Sterling is killing it on youtube and becoming well recognized even by celebs like Angry Joe.
Okay, I really have to ask now, because this always comes up in these threads but I don't know anything about it.
What happened with Extra Credits and the Escapist? I never watched the former and only found the Escapist after they were gone.
Always wanted to know this too.

Anyway, never liked Bob, and I just see movie reviews as giant spoilers and I dind that they can color my opinions to the point of disliking a movie that I normally would have enjoyed. So yeah, unlike Jim, not gonna bother.

Sean Renaud

Apr 12, 2011
Scarim Coral said:
Despite claiming to be a competely different show, it is pretty much the same show (The Big Picture) but wearing new skins.

As for Bob dicussions-

I'm kind of confused with the whole Black Widow controversial, so it's bad for any women to talked about liking a guy and a possible family? I mean don't all women AND guy talked about those at some point in their lives (mainly the first since not all want to make a family)? I certainly do recalled once mention a girl I liked to my friends in High School and I do want to have a family of my own when that dicussion was brought up. In saying so I do kind of agreed that she was somewhat of a different character in AoU (since I thought she liked Clint).

The whole Nintendo thing I pretty much agreed on now that he brought it up (Eshop is a crappy service as I dread the day when I have to transfer my 3DS data to another 3DS by hand!). I suppose that video answer my question in why they want to partner up with Universal Studio when it come to making a Nintendo themeshop as oppose to making one themselves.
The Black Widow controversy if you can really call it that is that she doesn't seem to get much to do of any worth. You could just shy of expand Pepper Potts roles and happily ignore her. And that's not just Movie Bob's opinion, while Joss Whedon handled himself with all the grace and honor that is his he agrees that it's kinda bullshit that she doesn't much merchandise. Now the reason is fairly obvious in some ways. Thor, Hulk, Ironman and to a lesser extent Captain America all have super Strength so when you're making toys about how you're gonna break some shit you've got a God, a giant, an armored hero. . .Batman on steroids and. . .a girl who kicks high. You don't see a ton of Hawkeye merch or commercial appearances either and I have to assume it's more for common sense reasons than a disliking her because she's a woman.

I don't think many people (even Movie Bob despite him bringing it up) are that torn up about her talking about liking a guy or a possible family. It seems very much like that is her defining trait in this movie and. . .that's not fair to her. Now maybe he's 100% correct and she is meant to be background dressing there almost solely to say 'look we have a woman on the team' but in that case Ms. Marvel should be available for them to use, Wasp. . .is probably too connected to Antman to bring in before or without Antman, apparently given the situation with Spiderman, Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver Sony, Fox and Disney have found a way to get along and share their toys like adults. She-Hulk might not be a great idea with Gamora running around. Hell make up an original character.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I've never really wished any ill will on Bob - despite his tendency to do so towards others - but he became so insufferable over the last year or so that I was actually somewhat glad to see The Escapist let him go. I wasn't glad he lost his job, I'd never really wish that upon someone, but he was damaging to the site's image and his confrontational and dismissive attitude likely scared away more site visitors than it invited.

So...good for him for finding work and maintaining a living, but I can't find myself feeling happy for him or sympathetic to his plight. He brought it on himself.

If someone can verify that he's learned some humility, has become a lot less insufferable, and no longer uses his videos as a soapbox to insult entire communities of people by using ignorant stereotyping, I might consider looking at his material again. Otherwise, I'll just wish him the best of luck and will continue to steer clear of his videos.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
On Bob, good for him. I never had a problem with most of his stuff on the Escapist.
And, there weren't any of his "characters" in that TGO. If that remains to be the case, I might check them out.

the silence said:
What happened with Extra Credits and the Escapist?
Bob_McMillan said:
As best as I recall, back in the day, the Escapist weren't exactly paying their content creators in a timely manner, and owed the Extra Credits team some money, which was exacerbated by the fact that their animator (at the time) needed surgery on her arm. So, the Extra Credits got on RocketHub to raise the funds for the surgery, and the Escapist promoted the shit out of it, giving away swag and Pub Club memberships to those that donated. The crowd funding got a butt load of cash, and due to lack of proper contracting ahead of time, there were disagreements on where that money should go. The Escapist said some of the money should go towards payment for future content and reimbursement for the donation incentives, the Extra Credits team thought they should be able to keep all the money because... reasons. In the end, the Extra Credits team left the Escapist, kept the money in lieu of the back payment they were owed, got the animator her surgery and used the remaining cash to start publishing games. Which created a controversy from people that donated money to help an artist avoid a career ending injury, not to fund game publishers.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Bob_McMillan said:
the silence said:
Caramel Frappe said:
You know what? Good for him, I am happy to know MovieBob is doing what he loves which involves nerd culture / video games.

This time however, I pray he acts civil and respects those who disagrees with him. Because really, if you make videos for a living and talk about things relating to politics, morals, or concepts ... you should expect people to have different opinions or claiming you're wrong in certain aspects. You can't treat you audience like a bunch of subhumans or else you'll very likely lose views if not your job on the website you're uploading your videos to.

So yea hope all goes well with MovieBob. Can't say the same for Extra Credits, but at least Jim Sterling is killing it on youtube and becoming well recognized even by celebs like Angry Joe.
Okay, I really have to ask now, because this always comes up in these threads but I don't know anything about it.
What happened with Extra Credits and the Escapist? I never watched the former and only found the Escapist after they were gone.

Anyway, never liked Bob, and I just see movie reviews as giant spoilers and I dind that they can color my opinions to the point of disliking a movie that I normally would have enjoyed. So yeah, unlike Jim, not gonna bother.
It was a pretty weird situation, and despite being active on the site over the period where this all happened I'm not 100% sure on the deets. I want to say ahead of time that I have no idea which side is "right" here, given my limited knowledge of the facts.

Basically, the artist for EC got injured and she needed help paying for it.
EC made a deal with Esc to solicit donations and/or get a small cut of merc sales to go to a fund to help her (I'm a little foggy on the full deal, which leads into the next bit).

So the artist got the money and got all fixed up, but there was cash left over.

So this is where it started to go south. EC claimed that the money was theirs to do with as they pleased - I think they wanted to make a game or something related to but separate from EC, but Esc claimed that the money should be used only for EC - improvements to the show, etc. There were some accusations that Esc expected to get the extra money for themselves, but I don't believe that was substantiated. It was also not specifically clear what the agreement was with regards to the merc sales cut.

There was some other stuff going on - apparently Esc hadn't been keeping up with paying EC on time (I remember that specifically from I believe it was Greg Tito posting in the forums, but this predated him being an editor). But EC was also accused of being very cagey about what specifically they expected to be allowed to do with extra money that had been intended to deal with a medical issue.

I have no idea which side was right, but at the end of the day Esc squared their bills with EC, and EC chose to move on.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Vigormortis said:
If someone can verify that he's learned some humility, has become a lot less insufferable, and no longer uses his videos as a soapbox to insult entire communities of people by using ignorant stereotyping, I might consider looking at his material again. Otherwise, I'll just wish him the best of luck and will continue to steer clear of his videos.
A quick visit to his Twitter feed reveals he's as insufferable as ever.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Some days I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't deliberately look for things on the Internet to get angry or vindictive about.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Johnny Novgorod said:
A quick visit to his Twitter feed reveals he's as insufferable as ever.
Shame, that. Despite his overt fanboyism often overpowering or skewing his views on certain things, he was generally quite knowledgeable on certain pop-culture topics. He could provide interesting insights.

Oh well. So be it. Best of luck on his endeavors.

Adamantium93

Jun 9, 2010
I'm rather happy actually. The Big Picture was really the reason why I ended up joining this site (came for the Yahtzee, stayed for the Bob). Granted I didn't always agree with everything Bob said and I often thought he was self-important, arrogant, and hypocritical. But I enjoyed his rants because they either explained something I never understood (like the history of the film industry) or gave me a side to a story I didn't get (like his most recent detailing of the controversy over Black Widow).

I do think his most recent offerings do stray too close to the arrogant side though. I get they're supposed to be funny, but he doesn't have the over the top eccentric persona (read: Jim Sterling) to really pull that off.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Lilani said:
Some days I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't deliberately look for things on the Internet to get angry or vindictive about.
One could allege that just by coming here to the Escapist and going in any sub forum except forum games in the recent years is doing just that:).
L. Declis said:
Wow, I sure hope he doesn't descend into his usual cross eyed spitting patronising drivel about how all white cis straight men caused everything bad in the world, while he continues to tweet nothing but constant abuse at anyone who doesn't follow the party line.

I hoped it was more "Escape to the Movies", but I imagine it won't be long until he tries to force another film project into his shows (because Bob cannot accept he is simultaneously a bad writer, bad director, bad actor, bad supporting actor, bad editor, bad sound editor, bad cinematographer but a pretty good film and comic critic), and I would give us... 4 episodes before he is calling everyone sub-human scum, and shows that picture of Anita trying to not stand next to the sweating fat man who is a little too close to her.
Hold on there son you cant talk about him having a film project without linking that shit for me and others to have a look at> I mean come on man people gotta right to see some prime time laughing material such as bob trying to act.

OT: my over/under is as soon as he feels he is popular enough to get away with it unless he just goes completely nuts again.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Lilani said:
I feel the same.

Good for him. I mean it. As long as he keeps his stuff far away from The Escapist, I don't care what he does. I hope he finds good employment doing what he loves. I hope he wins the lottery, loses weight, moves to Hawaii, and becomes a happy healthy human being. Regardless, I'll likely be ignoring him.

EDIT: Here are his videos, for the curious
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nespRT1VUJc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYoKIOYaBls

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Whatever works for him. Happy he's able to find some new opportunities.

Not going to watch his content, but happy times to those who still do.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Good for him but he won't be getting views from me. I can't stand the man. It's sad because I didn't hate his earlier work. Oh well, at least he still has work.

Arctic Werewolf

Oct 16, 2014
Just tell me he's still presenting himself like petty fanboy flamewars and online shit-flinging are beneath his dignity while being their most prolific practitioner with absolutely no attempt to reconcile the two. Otherwise it just... isn't the same.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
President Bagel said:
Used to really like him, but eventually, I got fed up with his piss poor, condescending attitude. The man is trouble. I hope Screwattack knows what they're getting themselves into. Oh well, best of luck to him.
They have already worked with him with the Game Overthinker; it was implied that he was so poor at uploading on schedule and so unpopular that they dropped him before.

Darks63 said:
Hold on there son you cant talk about him having a film project without linking that shit for me and others to have a look at> I mean come on man people gotta right to see some prime time laughing material such as bob trying to act.

OT: my over/under is as soon as he feels he is popular enough to get away with it unless he just goes completely nuts again.
Just look up the Game Overthinker on YouTube; about Episode 30 or 40 he begins to create a full Game Overthinker persona, where he defeats bad guys by drinking and ranting about topics in the world.

It also includes Bob, not the fittest man, bless, running around with Nintendo props and using them to fight poorly CGed Mario enemies wearing a poorly fitted Nintendo shirt and a motherfucking trench coat.
Because he cannot animate, everything he fights explodes when defeated.
His sidekick is a high-pitched, sped up version of himself called Ivan instead of Zelda's Navi, and is literally a Zelda fairy.
His first nemesis is the Game Underthinker, who is Bob wearing a baseball cap and trying to sound black and "bro".
The second one is the Game Retrothinker, who is Bob and starts off as a Nintendo fanboy who represents Bob's deep seated need to return to his childhood (seriously, his book suggests a serious mental issue, give it a read) who becomes a Skeleton mask clad spandex enemy due to the rise of Call of Duty and such.
The third one is the Omega Thinker, who is a robot version of Bob, Security Guards who are Bob, Satan, who is Bob in a red suit, Satan's boss, who is Bob in a bathrobe, there is a fire ninja and an ice ninja who he tries to make sympathetic characters; they are both both in Ninja costumes, there is a Ninja Senator who is Bob in a ski mask, there is an Overthinker from the future who is Trunks from Dragonball Z, which is Bob in a wig, and his boss is a racist latino stereotyped rabbit.
There are entire conversations and poorly edited green screens where Bob will have ten minute conversations with himself, an awkward pause between each line due to bad editing where Bob will stare at the screen for a few seconds waiting for a cue.
And the action sequences... Oh god, he wants to be cool so badly, he really does.
Just go watch it. Start around 70 for the bat-shit insanity to kick in.
EDIT: Forgot the best part. The ending of the Overthinker is a Gamergate smack-down in which he declares they're all the most evil people, he plays Nintendo Chess against himself in a dream, and then takes a Nintendo belt buckle and becomes God.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
L. Declis said:
EDIT: Forgot the best part. The ending of the Overthinker is a Gamergate smack-down in which he declares they're all the most evil people, he plays Nintendo Chess against himself in a dream, and then takes a Nintendo belt buckle and becomes God.
Correct me if I'm wrong (I refuse to watch Bob's videos anymore) but didn't he say that GG is all part of an effort to keep Hillary Clinton out of the White House?

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
While I didn't always agree with is tendency to soapbox (I'm not a fan of turning every movie/game/comic discussion into a socio-political commentary or diatribe) I did enjoy some of his work when he explained the history of different genres. However I wasn't a fan of his, but I also never hated him nor did I or do I wish him ill. Everyone deserves the right to express their opinions and such, just as the listener/watcher has the right to walk away or simply stop listening to said expression of opinion.
I may not have liked him at times, but I still wish him success anyway despite not agreeing with his views at times... which was a lot of the time.
But far be it from me to celebrate his abrupt exit from Escapist, nor do I feel it was right for anyone else to celebrate that he lost a job that paid his bills. All I can say is that he's got every right to do what he does, and if he makes money off of it, good for him. We've all got flaws, things people will find detestable about us and such so my advice has always been take care of your own issues before you blast another person for their own flaws and never celebrate the failures of others lest they be detestable folk who've done real-world horrible things.
But this is the internet, where reason and sensibility apparently have no place to reside.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
the silence said:
Bob_McMillan said:
Alrighty then- here you are.

<spoiler=History>Around the end of July 2011, there was a dispute between The Escapist and the team that provided content for the show Extra Credits. After not being paid for months, the Extra Credits team needed to pay for surgery for their artist, Allison Theus. They began a charity fund, separate from The Escapist, and received more than enough money. They planned to create a game publishing label with the money, where the revenue would go directly into funding subsequent projects.[17]

The Escapist stated the money should have been used to create more episodes of Extra Credits for The Escapist and to compensate Themis Media for donation incentives, such as premium memberships and T-shirts.[18] As a result, Extra Credits broke ties with The Escapist, and the show has since aired on Penny Arcade, ScrewAttack[19] and has its own channel on YouTube.

Source [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Escapist_%28magazine%29]

Long story short .... accident happens to EC's female artist. She needed a new arm in order to draw so EC threw in a fundraiser. Instead of getting say $25,000 ... they ended up getting over $150,000 in donations. Escapist wanted that extra money to be used on their show Extra Credits, but dude in charge of EC James Portnow, decided to use that money for personal favor like opening up an Indie Studio. This led to a dispute and eventually, EC leaving The Escapist.

What I don't appreciate is how it went down. EC made victim excuses, tried to lie, along with trying to rally users against The Escapist while our GM at the time was just honest. GM didn't hide around the bush- he admitted what went down and James (mainly James, not everyone in EC) tried to deny such facts. This caused countless Escapist users to think The Escapist was being greedy until near the end, the truth was shown causing EC to take their leave without even having the decency to try working things out with The Escapist.

Says a lot when the GM approached James with some questions, and automatically James summons lawyers to have a court battle ready. Like that's kind of sketchy already, and James never considered what was actually best for his OWN show or The Escapist fans.

The lies and betrayal stuck with me since and only a handful of people remember sadly. Extra Credits isn't even mentioned anywhere else now a days anyways ... but again, Jim Sterling left here just to spread his wings and MAN is he rocking it with views.

EDIT: I'll add this fact before anyone gets on me... that Escapist was behind in paying their employees. However, James (before the accident happened) was okay with the delay and forged more videos out anyways. It wasn't until this dispute came up when James told everyone that Escapist wasn't paying their employees despite earlier being okay with no pay for the time being. So yeah ....
As I recall, therr were claims being made that the escapist wasn't paying any of their content creators. (by some accounts they were as much as 6 months behind).

I do also recall James or someone else from EC said it wasn't a big deal to them personally, but it might have been seriously hurting other content creators.

Honestly, the whole thing made pretty much everyone involved look bad... Really ruined a lot of trust in various groups...