So MovieBob's Got a New Show...

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
General Vagueness said:
MovieBob's always been a mixed bag for me. I agree with a lot of what he says, including, seemingly, his general world-view, but he says a lot I don't agree with and even some things I find distasteful, and for as much as he seems like he supports people having open minds, I think he's stubborn and sometimes judges groups unfairly. (I never followed him on Twitter; I can only assume he's more insufferable there because nearly everyone with strong opinions is.) I kept watching him because his shows were usually funny or interesting and I didn't find his views distasteful enough to really be repelled.
The notice about his views not being their views is pretty standard, it's just usually tucked into the credits. I am curious why, specifically, they made it more prominent.
He got a good laugh from me with the whole "it's a different show" disclaimer followed by "COMICS ARE WEIRD"-- which, yes, I also missed quite a bit.
I don't like the emotes that are just still shots of his face; I got tired of the clip-art emotes from The Big Picture but they were more tolerable even after I got tired of them. I don't like the "cold close" with the cut to "TRUST IN BOB" and a tone. I really dislike the currency window-frame thing that's overlaid on the entire video.
Other than that, I think this is a serviceable entry into what he was doing before, not really good, but serviceable. I'll keep watching unless he gets canceled again or doesn't improve and get to actually actively good episodes, and even if I stop watching, I'll come back for Shlocktober or whatever he calls it this time, that concept is too good to drop.
I generally find myself in the same camp, except for the fact that I often finding myself disagreeing with him and his world view quite a bit. But he's also kinda typical for an Eastern coast liberal, so I give him a pass most of the time.

As for the "TRUST IN BOB" bit, as well as the whole concept for the title... I think he's trying to horn in on Jim Sterling's territory by aping the "Thank god for me." Line. So if they met up in person and Jim found it particularly egregious, I would laugh myself silly if he popped Bob right on the nose for it.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Windknight said:
marioandsonic said:
L. Declis said:
EDIT: Forgot the best part. The ending of the Overthinker is a Gamergate smack-down in which he declares they're all the most evil people, he plays Nintendo Chess against himself in a dream, and then takes a Nintendo belt buckle and becomes God.
Correct me if I'm wrong (I refuse to watch Bob's videos anymore) but didn't he say that GG is all part of an effort to keep Hillary Clinton out of the White House?
A bunch of GG's biggest supporters (such as Milo, Summers, Baldwin, some wacked out conspiracy nut who managed to make Piers Morgan of all people come across as the sane one in a debate, the MRA's, even Stormfront itself) have no interest in games, and more about using it for pushing anti-feminist and anti-left wing agendas, and a bunch of GG'ers have shown their more interested in being used in that manner than looking critically at who's supporting them and whether they should really be associating with them.
Uhhhhh I think your argument is a bit disingenuous here. I clearly remember that even the chan part of GG was groaning at even the prospect of being supported by Alex Jones.

As to Stormfront supporting GG, CITATION NEEDED because I've not seen that at all. And if you are referring to /pol/... Well I think you might actually need to do some independent and firsthand research of what /pol/ is.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Bat Vader said:
Stormfront? That some type of meteorologists or weather website? I have no idea who Piers Morgan is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stormfront_%28website%29

That said, I think conflating GG with white nationalism and right-wing politics is...a bit of a silly endeavor. Still, given some of the people and names that were at the very least welcomed if not embraced by the movement, I guess associations with such positions were inevitable. Moreso in the right-wing politics camp than the whole...white nationalism bit. >_>

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Solaire of Astora said:
Bat Vader said:
Stormfront? That some type of meteorologists or weather website? I have no idea who Piers Morgan is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stormfront_%28website%29

That said, I think conflating GG with white nationalism and right-wing politics is...a bit of a silly endeavor. Still, given some of the people and names that were at the very least welcomed if not embraced by the movement, I guess associations with such positions were inevitable. Moreso in the right-wing politics camp than the whole...white nationalism bit. >_>
I was just curious to what those were. I'm not conflating anything with anything else.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Bat Vader said:
I was just curious to what those were. I'm not conflating anything with anything else.
Was referring to the post you quoted, sorry. Didn't make that clear enough, I suppose.

But that's some off-topic stuff, so yeah. Bowing out.

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
I think after seeing Sargon of Akaad and Rageaholic's videos on Moviebob he's lost basically all credibility in my eyes, which is a shame because I like what he has to say about movies and I'd happily watch him review movies. His opinions just irk me, but at least people who like what he's got to say will get more of him, in all his incredibly dubious glory!

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Neat. I just jumped over to that channel at watched the WTF Nintendo video. I didn't like how he kept cutting back to his real-life self because it kept messing with the voice sound, but I was happy to hear him talk again. I like him.

And the Disclaimer at the start of this new video, followed by the intro, is hilarious.

chuckman1

Cool
Jan 15, 2009
Similar to extra credits i liked a lot of his work, but didn't agree with everything they did. nice that he has a new big picture. I did like the game overthinker episode. He probably will go crazy soon enough i just ignore his Twitter. Also his live action scenes in videos were shitty and not entertaining so i hope those never come back.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
MajorTomServo said:
Ugh.

I used to like Bob--really I did--but he needs to learn some fucking humility. I was hoping maybe a year or so of unemployment would help push him in that direction. Oh well, guess it's back to briefly touching on video games/comics/movies for a few seconds before descending into angry, holier-then-thou soapboxing.

I mean it, if he'd just stop being so preachy and go back to talking about nerd stuff, I'd gladly support those endeavors. As it stands though, he's like the liberal Rush Limbaugh.
I feel the same way. I watched him years ago back when he was all about games. When he started this whole live action mess and started getting more and more preachy I tuned out. Its a shame really.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
On his Youtube all he makes is 'Really Tht Good'. He seems to have stopped doing reviews. I expect a lot of his Patreon subs must feel pretty ripped off.

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
It seems that Moviebob is back with a Big Picture-esque show called "In Bob we trust".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkzszBi8W2M

So whaddaya think?

Is Bob back?
Are you as happy as I am?
Am I breaking any forum-rules by posting this?

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
I really don't like that dollar bill background border thing going on. Makes the screen too busy.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
To be fair, Bob never left the Internet. He has been spitting his incoherent rage about everything he disagrees with for about 10 years now.

Is he back into the main culture? I doubt it. No major area will give him screen time, and among his niche, he isn't very popular there. Still, he now has a $50,000 per year job and as such, can afford to leave his parent's basement (literally).

Am I happy? I'm happy he has a job. I wish he would get off his soapbox or perhaps take a step back and actually look at things rather than rant on his constant agenda pushing though. Good for him. I suppose if he stops, he loses the only support he has left, as he has long since driven off most of his old fans, and it's the SJW crowd that supports him.

I have no idea; I leave such things to the mods. The only forum rule I know of "Don't be an arsehole, and if you're going to be, don't be an arsehole directly to one person in such a way that can be quoted".

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
L. Declis said:
To be fair, Bob never left the Internet. He has been spitting his incoherent rage about everything he disagrees with for about 10 years now.

Is he back into the main culture? I doubt it. No major area will give him screen time, and among his niche, he isn't very popular there. Still, he now has a $50,000 per year job and as such, can afford to leave his parent's basement (literally).

Am I happy? I'm happy he has a job. I wish he would get off his soapbox or perhaps take a step back and actually look at things rather than rant on his constant agenda pushing though. Good for him. I suppose if he stops, he loses the only support he has left, as he has long since driven off most of his old fans, and it's the SJW crowd that supports him.

I have no idea; I leave such things to the mods. The only forum rule I know of "Don't be an arsehole, and if you're going to be, don't be an arsehole directly to one person in such a way that can be quoted".
The last I read anything about Bob he threw a ton of insults at Totalbiscuit and all of his fanbase over twiiter and TB promptly destroyed him so I would say he is not exactly doing a very good job. That being said I don't wish anything bad on him tho I will admit it was a bit funny reading TB bitchslap him to the ground with just 3 or 4 tweets.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
would be happy for game over thinker to die in a fire, he pretty much has only the vaguest insight in to games.

Am glad the big picture is back though.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
the silence said:
What happened with Extra Credits and the Escapist? I never watched the former and only found the Escapist after they were gone.
Bob_McMillan said:
Always wanted to know this too.
Alrighty then- here you are.

<spoiler=History>Around the end of July 2011, there was a dispute between The Escapist and the team that provided content for the show Extra Credits. After not being paid for months, the Extra Credits team needed to pay for surgery for their artist, Allison Theus. They began a charity fund, separate from The Escapist, and received more than enough money. They planned to create a game publishing label with the money, where the revenue would go directly into funding subsequent projects.[17]

The Escapist stated the money should have been used to create more episodes of Extra Credits for The Escapist and to compensate Themis Media for donation incentives, such as premium memberships and T-shirts.[18] As a result, Extra Credits broke ties with The Escapist, and the show has since aired on Penny Arcade, ScrewAttack[19] and has its own channel on YouTube.

Source [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Escapist_%28magazine%29]

Long story short .... accident happens to EC's female artist. She needed a new arm in order to draw so EC threw in a fundraiser. Instead of getting say $25,000 ... they ended up getting over $150,000 in donations. Escapist wanted that extra money to be used on their show Extra Credits, but dude in charge of EC James Portnow, decided to use that money for personal favor like opening up an Indie Studio. This led to a dispute and eventually, EC leaving The Escapist.

What I don't appreciate is how it went down. EC made victim excuses, tried to lie, along with trying to rally users against The Escapist while our GM at the time was just honest. GM didn't hide around the bush- he admitted what went down and James (mainly James, not everyone in EC) tried to deny such facts. This caused countless Escapist users to think The Escapist was being greedy until near the end, the truth was shown causing EC to take their leave without even having the decency to try working things out with The Escapist.

Says a lot when the GM approached James with some questions, and automatically James summons lawyers to have a court battle ready. Like that's kind of sketchy already, and James never considered what was actually best for his OWN show or The Escapist fans.

The lies and betrayal stuck with me since and only a handful of people remember sadly. Extra Credits isn't even mentioned anywhere else now a days anyways ... but again, Jim Sterling left here just to spread his wings and MAN is he rocking it with views.

EDIT: I'll add this fact before anyone gets on me... that Escapist was behind in paying their employees. However, James (before the accident happened) was okay with the delay and forged more videos out anyways. It wasn't until this dispute came up when James told everyone that Escapist wasn't paying their employees despite earlier being okay with no pay for the time being. So yeah ....
I actually looked at their channel on Youtube recently and was horrified with what I saw. Revisionist history and an extremely pretentious video trying to convince his viewers not to buy Hatred. I don't care about Hatred personally, but seeing them go out of their way to try to stamp out a small indie studio disgusts me. I can't believe they're the same Extra Credits I used to enjoy and respect.

The really funny thing is, Destructive Creations have even responded with some of the most level headed and well written responses but they're basically being bashed by a large amount of EC followers. It's sad how we can rationalize killing hundreds of innocent people in other games like GTAV but apparently Hatred is different. The amount of mental gymnastics being done to demonize shooting fictional bullets at fictional pixels is crazy.

Anyways, on the topic of EC and Bob as well for that matter, it's really odd seeing what has become of the contributors that left this site in a negative way, I'm actually sort of glad that they're not around anymore because they've really gone a bit loopy. At least Jim appears to have actually regained some of his sanity that looked like it was waning thin in his last few weeks on this site, so not all is lost.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
VanQ said:
I actually looked at their channel on Youtube recently and was horrified with what I saw. Revisionist history and an extremely pretentious video trying to convince his viewers not to buy Hatred. I don't care about Hatred personally, but seeing them go out of their way to try to stamp out a small indie studio disgusts me. I can't believe they're the same Extra Credits I used to enjoy and respect.

The really funny thing is, Destructive Creations have even responded with some of the most level headed and well written responses but they're basically being bashed by a large amount of EC followers. It's sad how we can rationalize killing hundreds of innocent people in other games like GTAV but apparently Hatred is different. The amount of mental gymnastics being done to demonize shooting fictional bullets at fictional pixels is crazy.
I saw they had posted a video about Hatred, and I haven't clicked it.

I find it funny though, that they say they don't want to bring attention to the game, and yet they made an entire video about it. Seems a bit counter-productive, that's all I'm saying.