So MovieBob's Got a New Show...

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
marioandsonic said:
L. Declis said:
EDIT: Forgot the best part. The ending of the Overthinker is a Gamergate smack-down in which he declares they're all the most evil people, he plays Nintendo Chess against himself in a dream, and then takes a Nintendo belt buckle and becomes God.
Correct me if I'm wrong (I refuse to watch Bob's videos anymore) but didn't he say that GG is all part of an effort to keep Hillary Clinton out of the White House?
No, he just said that it was part of a culture that was going through existential crisis at the prospect of Hillary getting the White House.

Now I'll be the first to admit that happening is a frightening thought, but it has nothing to do with GG (hell, his lord and saviour McIntosh has gone on rants about why she is a terrible choice for the election).

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
He's got two new series on his own youtube channel, which one of them is basically escape to the movies. So that's good.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
I always liked the Big Picture, so good to have it back. With Moviebob, so long as you don't follow him on Twitter, he's a smart guy who puts out interesting content. Until he does a "In Bob We Trust" linking the popularity of South Park to the destruction of America (yes, he actually believes this), I'm happy to enjoy his stuff.

burnout02urza

Nov 22, 2009
Hey, it could be a lot worse.

It could be yet another show where every character was himself. (Seriously, what was up with the Game Overthinker? I saw just one episode, and I cringed so hard I nearly gave myself a seizure.)

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
L. Declis said:
Forgot the best part. The ending of the Overthinker is a Gamergate smack-down in which he declares they're all the most evil people, he plays Nintendo Chess against himself in a dream, and then takes a Nintendo belt buckle and becomes God.
Erg. Yeah I kind of stopped being a fan of his when he made his various shows more and more about personal politics (exasperated because I'm not from the states so I don't necessarily understand everything that gets talked about), but the one video of Overthinker I saw was about enough for me.

I felt this godawful vicarious shame for him, and it just made me way too uncomfortable to watch that show again.

It's nice that he has a new show, hopefully he can make a bit more money and seek a bit more happiness (he seems miserable all the time to me), but I probably won't follow him to screwattack.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
marioandsonic said:
L. Declis said:
EDIT: Forgot the best part. The ending of the Overthinker is a Gamergate smack-down in which he declares they're all the most evil people, he plays Nintendo Chess against himself in a dream, and then takes a Nintendo belt buckle and becomes God.
Correct me if I'm wrong (I refuse to watch Bob's videos anymore) but didn't he say that GG is all part of an effort to keep Hillary Clinton out of the White House?
A bunch of GG's biggest supporters (such as Milo, Summers, Baldwin, some wacked out conspiracy nut who managed to make Piers Morgan of all people come across as the sane one in a debate, the MRA's, even Stormfront itself) have no interest in games, and more about using it for pushing anti-feminist and anti-left wing agendas, and a bunch of GG'ers have shown their more interested in being used in that manner than looking critically at who's supporting them and whether they should really be associating with them.

tm96

Feb 1, 2014
Windknight said:
A bunch of GG's biggest supporters (such as Milo, Summers, Baldwin, some wacked out conspiracy nut who managed to make Piers Morgan of all people come across as the sane one in a debate, the MRA's, even Stormfront itself)
Wait what? They really did that?

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Windknight said:
A bunch of GG's biggest supporters (such as Milo, Summers, Baldwin, some wacked out conspiracy nut who managed to make Piers Morgan of all people come across as the sane one in a debate, the MRA's, even Stormfront itself)
I'm going to assume the first bolded part is in reference to Alex Jones, and if that's the case the two bolded parts are outright lies on your part, whether knowingly or not, as neither Alex Jones nor Stormfront have taken a stance on GG (and even if they did, we'd do to them what we did to King of Pol. People say you can't be kicked out of GG because of its nature, but this has been shown to be false).

It's also funny how you have Summers on the list of supposedly anti-feminists and anti-leftists, since she is a registered Democrat and an academic feminist by profession.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
tm96 said:
Windknight said:
Milo, Summers and Baldwin, yes, Alex Jones and Stormefront, however, not at all, and MRA's on the internet in this day and age are too vague of a term to use given the low bar one must fall under to be accused of being an MRA.

tm96

Feb 1, 2014
Zontar said:
tm96 said:
Windknight said:
Milo, Summers and Baldwin, yes, Alex Jones and Stormefront, however, not at all, and MRA's on the internet in this day and age are too vague of a term to use given the low bar one must fall under to be accused of being an MRA.
I meant the Piers Morgan bit.

Captcha: Now look here. Where am looking captcha?

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
tm96 said:
I meant the Piers Morgan bit.

Captcha: Now look here. Where am looking captcha?
Oh yes, Alex Jones made Piers Morgan come across as sane as a result of their debate.

You should look it up on YouTube, quite the watch.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Lilani said:
Some days I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't deliberately look for things on the Internet to get angry or vindictive about.
( O ^ O)

Dag-flippin'-nabbit, Lilani.

OT: I was surprised to see that film was still around. MovieBob's reviews and rants have been pretty amusing when I had them on a YouTube playlist a few times; it was enjoyable to listen to them while playing games. I thought he gave Nintendo and Marvel stuff a bit of a free pass sometimes for nostalgia reasons, but my only gripe with him was when he went overboard by calling Michael Bay a "douchebag" or making comments like he did on Twitter. There's a minimum standard of professionalism, surely.

Ultimately, his stuff was hit-and-miss for me, but I hope he shapes up a bit and finds further success in doing what he enjoys, because it's always a pleasure to listen to someone talking about something they know and love.

General Vagueness

Feb 24, 2009
MovieBob's always been a mixed bag for me. I agree with a lot of what he says, including, seemingly, his general world-view, but he says a lot I don't agree with and even some things I find distasteful, and for as much as he seems like he supports people having open minds, I think he's stubborn and sometimes judges groups unfairly. (I never followed him on Twitter; I can only assume he's more insufferable there because nearly everyone with strong opinions is.) I kept watching him because his shows were usually funny or interesting and I didn't find his views distasteful enough to really be repelled.
The notice about his views not being their views is pretty standard, it's just usually tucked into the credits. I am curious why, specifically, they made it more prominent.
He got a good laugh from me with the whole "it's a different show" disclaimer followed by "COMICS ARE WEIRD"-- which, yes, I also missed quite a bit.
I don't like the emotes that are just still shots of his face; I got tired of the clip-art emotes from The Big Picture but they were more tolerable even after I got tired of them. I don't like the "cold close" with the cut to "TRUST IN BOB" and a tone. I really dislike the currency window-frame thing that's overlaid on the entire video.
Other than that, I think this is a serviceable entry into what he was doing before, not really good, but serviceable. I'll keep watching unless he gets canceled again or doesn't improve and get to actually actively good episodes, and even if I stop watching, I'll come back for Shlocktober or whatever he calls it this time, that concept is too good to drop.

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
Evonisia said:
Links!

The Big Picture: In Bob We Trust

The Big Picture: Game Overthinker version.

Anyways, I'm glad to see The Big Picture returning as usually I managed to turn Bob's more aggravating traits into white noise so long as they weren't the entire subject of the video. Granted he seems to be delving further and further into fanboyism, making a backhanded quip at BvS for no reason given that we've not even seen any footage of Wonder Woman in BvS.
Not the big picture however "not a successor to anything previous" is very much still the big picture and that's fine

Game overthinker... meh...

It's going to be very horrible of me but I don't need to see Bob's face during his entire skit, it's not his most appealing feature.

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
Barbas said:
Lilani said:
Some days I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't deliberately look for things on the Internet to get angry or vindictive about.
( O ^ O)

Dag-flippin'-nabbit, Lilani.

OT: I was surprised to see that film was still around. MovieBob's reviews and rants have been pretty amusing when I had them on a YouTube playlist a few times; it was enjoyable to listen to them while playing games. I thought he gave Nintendo and Marvel stuff a bit of a free pass sometimes for nostalgia reasons, but my only gripe with him was when he went overboard by calling Michael Bay a "douchebag" or making comments like he did on Twitter. There's a minimum standard of professionalism, surely.

Ultimately, his stuff was hit-and-miss for me, but I hope he shapes up a bit and finds further success in doing what he enjoys, because it's always a pleasure to listen to someone talking about something they know and love.
He bashes both Marvel and Nintendo in his new vids, I think you're good.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Windknight said:
marioandsonic said:
L. Declis said:
A bunch of GG's biggest supporters (such as Milo, Summers, Baldwin, some wacked out conspiracy nut who managed to make Piers Morgan of all people come across as the sane one in a debate, the MRA's, even Stormfront itself) have no interest in games, and more about using it for pushing anti-feminist and anti-left wing agendas, and a bunch of GG'ers have shown their more interested in being used in that manner than looking critically at who's supporting them and whether they should really be associating with them.
Stormfront? That some type of meteorologists or weather website? I have no idea who Piers Morgan is.