so....Not having children=Selfish?

Rule Britannia

Apr 20, 2011
I want to have children (or at least a child) firstly because it's an experience thing but mostly because if I don't I would feel like I've failed as a human being. To reproduce is basically every single species' main goal.

Scrumpys

Feb 4, 2010
Vault101 said:
KAPTAINmORGANnWo4life said:
Vault101 said:
I was thinking about making a well thought-out, eloquent post about how aging, shrinking populations, and culture groups disappearing are massive problems, but instead:

We, as a species, are fucked. Our more developed societies have pretty much given up on existing, and are quickly being supplanted by groups coming from places where indoctrination is the rule, not the exception. Our own laziness, self-interest, and, funny enough, reasoning skills have doomed the species.
ohh lighten up will you...

we anrt anymore fucked now than we were 100 years ago

100 years ago Europe wasn't collapsing both financially and demographically, the United States was as trustworthy a nation as any, China was the center of massive jumps in philosophy and technology, my home nation of Canada held kinship with much of the known world, the Balkans were kept peaceful by the Russians, Serbs, and Habsburgs, Africans, while not treated well, were at least protected from marauding gangs of raiders and lunatic dictators, the worlds of Science and Faith were reconciling and integrating, great minds were being put to uses greater than the next brand of plastic food, the Islamic world wasn't filled with the same kind of lunatic dictators that afflict Africa, the horrors of the World Wars hadn't happened yet, governments controlled corporations (instead of the other way 'round), and people actually had children.

We are far closer to the end than we were 100 years ago by any metric.
and a few years later there were a couple of world wars....then a cold war and a massive freak out about nukes

and a great depression in there as well
and africa didnt have any marauding gangs of raiders because they were under European rule and had no say in wat happened

greenlinkboy

Sep 7, 2009
There are what, 7 billion people on earth right now? It's becoming increasingly more selfish to have children, I'd say.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Scrumpys said:
Vault101 said:
Vault101 said:

snip.
and a few years later there were a couple of world wars....then a cold war and a massive freak out about nukes

and africa didnt have any marauding gangs of raiders because they were under European rule and had no say in wat happened
like how those british people in safari suits and pith helmets were being (literally) carried around black people?

"I say old chap! do you fancy a spot of rhino hunting?"
"why my good man..that sounds like a most excellent Idea haww haww haaw!"

Aug 17, 2009
Vault101 said:
Vault101 said:
I was thinking about making a well thought-out, eloquent post about how aging, shrinking populations, and culture groups disappearing are massive problems, but instead:

We, as a species, are fucked. Our more developed societies have pretty much given up on existing, and are quickly being supplanted by groups coming from places where indoctrination is the rule, not the exception. Our own laziness, self-interest, and, funny enough, reasoning skills have doomed the species.

100 years ago Europe wasn't collapsing both financially and demographically, the United States was as trustworthy a nation as any, China was the center of massive jumps in philosophy and technology, my home nation of Canada held kinship with much of the known world, the Balkans were kept peaceful by the Russians, Serbs, and Habsburgs, Africans, while not treated well, were at least protected from marauding gangs of raiders and lunatic dictators, the worlds of Science and Faith were reconciling and integrating, great minds were being put to uses greater than the next brand of plastic food, the Islamic world wasn't filled with the same kind of lunatic dictators that afflict Africa, the horrors of the World Wars hadn't happened yet, governments controlled corporations (instead of the other way 'round), and people actually had children.

We are far closer to the end than we were 100 years ago by any metric.

Most, if not all, problems afflicting mankind today are unprecedented, either entirely or in scale.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Vault101 said:
Vault101 said:

snip

Most, if not all, problems afflicting mankind today are unprecedented, either entirely or in scale.
and those issues werent?..you know..back then

our bed has been made, we all have to lie in it, if I do or dont have kids it wont be because of thr state of the world...if I do it correctly they coudld be good who people who make it brighter

rather than having such a defeatest attitude

Aug 17, 2009
Vault101 said:
Vault101 said:
Vault101 said:

snip

our bed has been made, we all have to lie in it, if I do or dont have kids it wont be because of thr state of the world...if I do it correctly they coudld be good who people who make it brighter

Globalization. 100 years ago, the affairs in the Ottoman Empire couldn't cause harm to Argentina. There had been wars, but not under threat of global genocide. There had been famines, but not ones inflicted by one state on another. There had been terrorism, but not on a scale which allowed people in Central Asia to strike at the Americas.

We live in a world where the concepts of Nation, Culture, Moderation, and Higher Purpose are dead or dying. We live in a world where the ignorant act and the informed are paralyzed by their own knowledge.

We live in a world where life sustains itself for its own sake. It seems we are yet to make the final discovery: That life is a finite resource.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
If not having children is selfish than I am selfish. I would rather be happy and selfish than be a father and miserable. I would make a terrible father so in a way I am being selfless by not having children. Plus, I really hate children.

Mouse One

Jan 22, 2011
100 years ago, the affairs in the Ottoman Empire couldn't cause harm to Argentina.
Say what? The decline of the Ottoman Empire was one of the driving forces behind WW1. I wouldn't call it the first truly global war (I'm with Churchill on that being the Seven Years War), but c'mon.

And hey, apparent global anarchy aside, at least kids in school today aren't doing duck and cover drills.

The past always seems better to those in the present. Been to a Renfaire lately?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Vault101 said:
Vault101 said:
Vault101 said:

snip

We live in a world where life sustains itself for its own sake. .
uuuuhhhh

hasnt that always been the case?

anyway the stae of the world isnt relaly the thread topic, so I dont wish to de-rail ti further

Aug 17, 2009
Mouse One said:
100 years ago, the affairs in the Ottoman Empire couldn't cause harm to Argentina.
Say what? The decline of the Ottoman Empire was one of the driving forces behind WW1. I wouldn't call it the first truly global war (I'm with Churchill on that being the Seven Years War), but c'mon.

And hey, apparent global anarchy aside, at least kids in school today aren't doing duck and cover drills.

The past always seems better to those in the present. Been to a Renfaire lately?

There were obviously huge, far reaching consequences for large events like The Balkan Wars, but they didn't put the entire world at risk. If the world was as corporate then as it is now, there would be even more massive suffering in the Balkan States and Empire, but it would also massively impact the entire world's supply of goods that came from the now fractured Empire. There are no pockets of isolation anymore. Even the tribes in our jungles are affected by every pull on the world stage's curtain.

Vault101 said:
Vault101 said:
Vault101 said:
Vault101 said:

snip

We live in a world where life sustains itself for its own sake. .
uuuuhhhh

hasnt that always been the case?

anyway the stae of the world isnt relaly the thread topic, so I dont wish to de-rail ti further

There used to be higher purpose. We used to have grand goals in our civilizations. There used to be radical positive change. We used to have an afterlife. Now the truth stares the informed right in the face: Life simply is. There's no purpose other than ensuring it still exists. Existence will still fall, and make a sound, long after the last life has been snuffed out.

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
I guess it may be selfish in some people's eyes. Does that mean that I'm going to have kids? Hell no.

I don't understand the appeal of taking care of a little cretin that'll suck me dry, steal all of my food, money, time and will to live. I don't want to spend the rest of my life working a stressful job just so that I can get by. I want a low-wage, low-stress job that'll let my pay my bills and coast by in life with tons of free time. I don't want a big house or a nice car or anything that luxurious. I don't even want a car to begin with! I can just walk or take public transit! I can't live my life the way that I want to if I'm providing for a child. I can do it even less if I'm providing for a wife or girlfriend, which is kind of necessary to have a kid. The child's constant whining and need for attention would rip me to shreds in the early years.

The worst part is, I'd be responsible for the little parasite. I actively avoid responsibility because enough of it makes me feel anxious, almost to the point of giving me panic attacks; if there's something that I feel responsible for, the slightest complication sends me into a fit of depression and overwhelming anxiety. It's not pleasant, trust me.

Bottom line: Screw the economy, screw other people and their opinions of me. No matter how selfish it may be, I will NOT have a child.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
There used to be higher purpose. We used to have grand goals in our civilizations. There used to be radical positive change. We used to have an afterlife. Now the truth stares the informed right in the face: Life simply is. There's no purpose other than ensuring it still exists. Existence will still fall, and make a sound, long after the last life has been snuffed out.
uuuuhhhhhhh

[http://s1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb437/Vault10191/?action=view&current=Untitled.jpg]

that certainly depnds on how you look at things, I doubt a god fearing peasant famer from the past was musing about the afterlife or the great goals of civilisation....

anyway I think you being a little cynical

Aug 17, 2009
Vault101 said:
uuuuhhhhhhh

[http://s1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb437/Vault10191/?action=view&current=Untitled.jpg]

that certainly depnds on how you look at things, I doubt a god fearing peasant famer from the past was musing about the afterlife or the great goals of civilisation....

anyway I think you being a little cynical

A peasant farmer wasn't pondering, because they were sure. Their king was given the right to rule them by God, and accepting their slot in life allowed them to one day sit with God.

Now, no matter how flowery and wonderful Hitchens, or Dawkins, or Sagan make life seem, it's still its own point. When the sun engulfs the Earth before melting down, every monument on the planet will die with the insignificant blue dot it was built upon. Not you, nor me, nor Hitler, nor Jesus will always be remembered. Everything is finite. Every decision made on the path to an end we will not see coming, but we know will happen.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
No; I don't think either term applies; people have silly ideas about how life should work. Having a kid is a life choice and not one that is good to associate with being selfish or unselfish.

Aug 17, 2009
Vault101 said:
Vault101 said:
snip

SNIP.
yes

but so what?

There's no point in trying to find what we know isn't there. Anything; raising a child, ruling a nation, playing a game, they are all equal in their ultimate triviality. They are preoccupations of life awaiting it's fate.

More and more people are, consciously or not, becoming aware of this. It is why fertility rates in educated countries are so abysmal. The will of fruitless perpetuity is being eroded from the human mind.

That is why this thread, while sharing pointlessness with all living pursuits, is pointless in another sense: Selfishness doesn't matter. Your race will die. Your nation will die. Your species, planet, system, and galaxy all will die. Your offspring will die. As will theirs, and all which come after. And regardless of what they pursue, where they go, how they live, or what society has deemed as their accomplishments, they, and you, will be forgotten.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
ohhh...so you think that people dont want children because they have realised its all meaningless in the grand scheme of things?....

I disagree

1. I'd say its more likley with more options in life some peopel would rather just do other things than have children

2. peopel have already given lots of reasons as to why they have children, and its biological..somtimes we dont need reasons

3. alot of people (myself included) find it kind of pointless to think that far ahead, I'd rather focus on...saaaaay Mass effect 3 coming out...than the fact that the universe is beyond my control...I can go and get my copy of ME3, I cant do a damn thing about the universe, so why worry? not everyone is as miserable as you are over the whole thing

4. I'd say its HIGHLY debatle that being blissfully ignorant was such a good thing back in the day...especially at time when peopel were under the Iron fist of the church and unable to think for themselfs or deviate from society...