so....Not having children=Selfish?

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Morskie said:
zehydra said:
You're fighting millions of years of optimized biological instinct to reproduce, good luck with that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasectomy

Mine's worked for six years now.
Lol, well yeah, surgery's something different (I wouldn't call vasectomy "planned parenthood", other than planning NOT to have children. I'm talking about rational planning vs sexual instinct.

AmerikanRejekt

Mar 3, 2012
Valanthe said:
Is it selfish for me to not want to have kids? Perhaps it is, but if I based my life around what others wished for in me I'd be a Pot smoking alcoholic working a dead-end job that paid for a car I didn't want that would drive me to the job I didn't want to go to to support a wife* I couldn't stand who was raising kids I never wanted.

-snip-
This. This so much, I have a hard time describing it. Plus the rest of your post. We're far too similar on this subject.

But honestly, I'm not going to contribute more to what I see as a failing society, only to bring about my own suffering. I'm going to enjoy every moment I have living the life *I* want to live. No one else will ever sway me otherwise; unless my girlfriend decides she wants to have kids with me sometime down the line (which both of us are currently strongly against), they are entirely out of the question. Even then, I refuse to reproduce until I'm financially secure, which is more of a boon to society than those welfare-gorging leeches I see everywhere.

Surely a welfare family's collection of 3+ scum-sucking offspring is more than enough to account for me.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Mortai Gravesend said:
I also wonder at someone who rails against multiculturalism quoting something about a lack of contact between groups.
Wait. You actually believe that different ethnic groups will just mix in fine after their numbers started growing?

One thing is multiculturalism. Another thing is refusing to believe it turned into a problem.

How are you going to have contact between different groups when you get to 25% X, 25% Y and 50% Z? Ethnic groups will just distance themselves.

A 2008 study identified differences among some Latino nationalities, and between certain Latino ethnic groups and African Americans. It found that non-whites may leave neighborhoods as the proportion of other groups increases.
Happens with pretty much every ethnic group except African Americans, according to the study.

Terrara

Jul 1, 2011
I can only see one problem with not having children: high taxes in next generation and smaller working population in the future. On a personal level, it depends only on your own+your partners wishes/education/experience/etc.

At the same time, having children can also be very VERY selfish. Women can use it to pull out money of rich men, use children as blackmail. Some will not have an abortion because of "religious" reasons and choose to have a deformed child with underdeveloped brain (these types of people disgust me the most). Even couples sometimes see children as an investment rather then a sacrifice(as is often the case in very large families). I applaud single mothers if they really chose to rear children after their father died for example - that's one of few cases that having children really is selfless.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Mortai Gravesend said:
Of course what you will never address is why this might be happening. Personally I'd think people like you would contribute to that lack of contact between groups by fleeing.
I sure am. So far contact between black people and gypsies usually ends up in gunshots. The moment I start hearing them in my location I am moving.

Why is this happening? I think it's an example of the cage with 4 monkeys. It's and unwritten rule that was never explained to anyone, but still rather obey that "rule" than getting shanked or shot.

Want to address the problem? Perhaps not pretending that multiculturalism is the solution would help. Perhaps deterring people from crime will work. If people don't gang up, they are not ganging up with people from the same group and start racial attrition.

But so far the only thing I have seen was the sense of impunity and the protection of criminals.

And the double standards. If those Somali women were white they wouldn't get off because of their muslim culture.

AudienceOfOne1

Oct 22, 2010
Over 7 billion people on the planet, to me the only selfish people here, are the ones that insist on having lots of the little parasites to then go out and destroy the planet.

If you haven't guessed yet, I don't want/like children. However, I have nothing against people who have the resources to raise them, having one or two. What really gets to me though is all these people, who tend to be less well educated/in greater poverty, continually churning out more of them.

FolkLikePanda

Apr 15, 2009
Preferably, I wouldn't like to have kids because if any of them ended up like me mentally then it wouldn't be fair on them but if me wench wanted to have one then I would.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
I've never heard this attitude before and I don't get it either. Surely bringing another human into an already over populated planet is selfish?

I think having a kid is something that not everyone should have to or is cut out to do. It takes special people to raise a child well. Your selfish if you have a child when you can barely look after yourself for instance.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I'm almost vaguely amused by two concepts presented in this thread:

1. Mandatory childbearing. How will this be enforced? Coitus by gunpoint? Threats of jail time if little unwanted Timmy doesn't feel loved?

2. "We need more children so there'll be more workers". For what jobs? The ones going to the Far East for 1/10th of the pay that someone needs to survive here?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
irishda said:
Oh the Escapist, wherein a bunch of mid-20's to early teens try to rationalize children or their hatred of them without actually understanding them.

It's not selfish to choose childlessness, but, most of the time, you don't get a choice hahaha. Even with contraception, more than half of the parents I've ever talked to said they had children DESPITE planning/trying against having them. A lot of people hate kids, right up until the moment they have one of their own.
I like kids...I cant stop myself from smiling when I see some derpy toddler stumbling around

but that actual "parenthood thing" right now I really cant imagine

now everyone pretty much says you NEVER ready for kids..and if somone says they dont want them 8/10 times they will ahve them later down the track

so its a possability but right now I dont want kids

Frission

Until I get thrown out.
May 16, 2011
I don't get this. The main arguments that not having children is selfish are:
1)To help society.
Altruism is good, but frankly those who think society needs more children is misguided. I'm sorry, but there's already a rather high overpopulation and except in a situation of something close to human extinction it's not selfish to not have children. Other people have made better arguments, but in a nutshell there are other ways of helping society.

One person brought up the aging of the population in japan, which is valid, but the main problem is not that there's not enough people, but too many aging people and inadequate infrastructure for this problem. I don't have an answer to that problem, it's not my field but a population spike will be ineffective for the next 18 (or more) years, and it will just mean that we will have to get a bigger population to take care of more and more aging people over the years.

Someone said that we should adopt children, and that's good, but that got off the point of the main question

2) "Cultural Purity"
I'm going to be controversial, but it has to be said. This is racist and those who advocate are racist. I've only been on the escapist for a small while and I'm disturbed by the extremely racist, sexist and just plain dogmatic attitude that some people have. Godwin's law is overused, but in this case it's hopefully correct. Cultural Purity is a Nazi belief. It's the one thing that they can be properly associated to without protest

In the last post by ElPatron, he said " So far contact between black people and gypsies usually ends up in gunshots. The moment I start hearing them in my location I am moving.

Want to address the problem? Perhaps not pretending that multiculturalism is the solution would help. Perhaps deterring people from crime will work. If people don't gang up, they are not ganging up with people from the same group and start racial attrition.

But so far the only thing I have seen was the sense of impunity and the protection of criminals."

I hope he's trolling, since it's too far gone for kidding, because damn free speech this is racist. He's comparing those of another ethnicity to criminals, advocates a xenophobic policy and a genuinely creepy suggestion that something "has to be done" about multiculturalism.

I dont' care if he's black, hispanic, white or asian. What he's advocating is disgraceful.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
>.>
wow ...

14 pages and kinda looks like its gotten off topic (no surprise really)

anyway, no, having kids or not, is not by it self selfish.

i won't be having kids.
don't really want any, can't get my own crap in a stack, yeah, lets add the well fair of another life to it and i doubt my own ability, even with said 'crap in a stack' to raise em right

sides, only girl i met i've seirusly wanted to marry broke my heart >.> like 2 years ago and I'm to spineless to try and find another girlfriend

TheMadJayWoman

Apr 24, 2009
I've never understood the "its selfish not to have children argument" but then that sort of nonsense if usually being spouted by someone with such a limited understanding that most of what they say is ridiculous. If you decide to remain childless, there's no end to the amount of bullshit you'll hear from other people.

HAVING children is a selfish decision. The idea that your genes should pass onto another generation is maybe one of the ultimate acts of selfishness. And let's look at many of the reasons people have for breeding children:
- My religion says I must procreate
- I'm not comfortable having children that aren't my own offspring
- I want something to love me
- I won't feel like a real woman if I can't have a baby
- I forgot/didn't bother with contraception
- We need to breed more of my kind of people to compensate for those others
all horribly selfish motivations, made all the worse if in addition you aren't in a place financially, intellectually and emotionally to take on the many demands of raising a functioning member of society.

Yes economies are affected by low birth rates, but if we keep producing more people this will just spiral out of control. The world population is already increasing exponentially and the planet can't support all of those human beings. We're already exhausting all of our resources as it is.

And why are we so concerned about spawning all these people when providing for and raising all these new humans is a low priority in many societies?

I own a business and I own a house - the assorted taxes I pay contribute to schools and social programs that go toward raising and educating other people's children, programs from which I will never personally benefit. How exactly am I the selfish one here?

If I ever decide to parent, I will adopt or take on foster children. But right now I better serve society and myself by maintaining my business, paying property taxes and volunteering my time to social organizations.

Guardian of Nekops

May 25, 2011
You know what strikes me as being pretty selfish? Bringing kids into this world, not because you want them, but so you won't feel guilty about not doing it.

The human race has been around for a long time now, and until we stop having sex for fun and companionship I don't think we have to start going out of our way to have kids we raise out of obligation. If you want kids, then great! Have 'em, treat 'em right, wait until you have the resources to support them because they will get themselves in a lot of trouble you'll have to buy them out of.

If you don't want kids, don't worry about it. Your mind may change at some point, and if it does, that's wonderful. We're over 6 billion strong at this point, though, so we can afford our population to dip a bit if I'm wrong.