so....Not having children=Selfish?

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Regnes said:
5. We the human race are responsible for sustaining ourselves as a while, responsibility is evenly distributed among our population to fill a quota. It's not like we're going to expect one couple to produce about seven billion children within the timeframe of about 70 years. We all have the responsibility to do our share if possible.
The human population is in higher numbers than it's ever been. What's the problem?

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
I've never heard anyone say it was selfish to not have choldren. Sure, you're probably going to end up having them anyway, it's just how our DNA is programmed. But it's not selfish.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
Gilhelmi said:
Vault101 said:
I would not say "not having children is selfish". But instead I would say "Not raising any children is selfish". Here is the difference. The children do not have to be your children. I believe it is everyone's duty, who can care for and provide for, to raise a child. Even if that child is an orphan, or abandoned by the parents.

I was a member of a Fraternal organization call 'Odd Fellows' (I.O.O.F.). Our oath says "...To educate the Orphan..." I can not bore you with the rest. (secret organization and all, lol. Who am I kidding? They have not been truly secret for 50 years.)

Anyway, if I do not have a wife by age 40, I am just going to adopt a 6 month old child and raise it as my own. Or, if my brother has a large family, then I will help him raise his family.

It takes a village to raise a child.

FLT
Not everyone is comfortable with raising children. Everyone should contribute to society in the way that they're best capable to. Child-raising is simply not for everyone and no one should feel compelled by society to do something that does not suit them. There are other ways to be productive, it's not like having children is the only "noble cause" in the world. :\

marfin_

Mar 14, 2011
Zayle79 said:
Okay, I don't know much about IQ scores or the Flynn effect. But people are getting smarter, right? I never said it was because people evolved--I kind of assumed that it was because of how education and society in general has changed--but that's irrelevant. People aren't just getting dumber as time goes on. And, regardless of that, technology hasn't just stopped. That's absurd.

And it was Mordin Solus who said that in ME2.
I understand now your position. I was assuming from the context of your first post that you were suggesting that people's intelligence is improving at a biological level rather than from outside influences. I am glad that you were able to clear this up. I also agree that technology has not stopped, we are constantly improving technologies and creating new ones.

JackyG

Jun 26, 2011
No. it's really that simple. we aren't exactly under-stocked as a race.
I wont consider my life complete if I die without having a kid though. I want to eventually. but if you don't then that's your call.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Mortai Gravesend said:
Calling you racist isn't pulling a race card. It's simply the truth. (...) is just a sad attempt by a racist to avoid answering criticism with anything substantive. (...) posting racist crap (...) racist views.
What do you want me to do? Go get some "blackface" make up and do a "Black Power" sign in public? Get Starcraft II and promote Koreans online?

Oh, wait. You'd still manage to find a way to call me racist no matter how I try to explain how silly your views are!

Can I call you a racist too? There, I sent the burden on proof to your lap. Now PROVE that you are not racist while I keep insulting you.

You're wasting your time here.

Call the Japanese and tell them to stop being so racist. Apparently, they are getting old but their culture will hardly disappear because they simply do not hand out Japanese nationality like free hugs.

Yet I am a racist because I don't think X people should have any privileges over Y people.

Also,

Wikipedia said:
Playing the race card is an idiomatic phrase that refers to exploitation of either racist or anti-racist attitudes to gain a personal advantage, typically by accusing others of racism against oneself.

Chanel Tompkins

Nov 8, 2011
Well...scientifically it's selfish because you're not contributing to propagation of the species directly, although that gets countered a bit because adopting children others don't want is also contributing after a fashion.
Other than that, I've found people with that attitude are usually stuck up some religion's ass and want to make themselves feel better because they're following their religion's rules and you aren't.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Mortai Gravesend said:
You seem to have trouble reading full sentences. You're missing bits like, exploitation, which was not demonstrated.

Then the bit about personal advantage.

And lastly the bit the fact I never accused you of being racist against me.

However it does fit some things you've said quite perfectly.

Wikipedia said:
typically by
Wikipedia said:
typically by
Wikipedia said:
typically by
Wikipedia said:
typically by
For someone who accused me of not being able to interpret phrases, you sure missed out those two words.

You exploited the theme of racism as leverage against me. It is exploitation.

Right now, I am exploiting the fact that you did not read the "typically", which implies it is only an example.

Mortai Gravesend said:
However it does fit some things you've said quite perfectly.
Yeah, I totally accused you of racism and used the fact that I am white as leverage against you.

No, that just doesn't work. Me pulling a race card would be saying your opinion is invalid because I don't like your ethnic group.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Mortai Gravesend said:
Why the hell people like to abuse the word scientifically I don't know, but it's really annoying.
So people can't abuse the word "science" but you are free to abuse the word "racism" even if I have never expressed that any race was superior.

Like you said, double standards are for racists.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Mortai Gravesend said:
preserving your special little ethnic group
Now you changed to a patronizing tone?

Some people "snip" the bits that they find to illogical to even reply to, others just turn them into a slurry of unreadable mess. I cut them off because they are nothing more than dead weight, but that makes me different from others.

So yeah, I am pretty much convinced you have developed an irrational rivalry against me.

So just answer this.

Are you against "positive racism" or not?

Perhaps now we will see your true colours. Pun definitely not intended.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet or not, but not having children is not selfish in and of itself. However, not having children can show a tendency to avoid responsibilities towards others in order to focus on oneself -- in other words, not having children isn't selfish, but it's a choice that selfish people tend to make.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Owyn_Merrilin said:
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet or not, but not having children is not selfish in and of itself. However, not having children can show a tendency to avoid responsibilities towards others in order to focus on oneself -- in other words, not having children isn't selfish, but it's a choice that selfish people tend to make.
Exactly. Correlation does not imply causation.

I had a younger brother for the most part of my life and he used to be a little prick, but right now he is alright. I don't understand most of the arguments that involve "I don't want to care for a crybaby for all my life" because I think it's just admitting "I am too immature to deal with children and I don't want to have that responsibility".

Mortai Gravesend said:
Positive racism? Presumably you mean affirmative action. Yes, against it. You really do give off the image of someone who is quite irrational when you make leaps from what I've said to my potential position on such things.
Then tell me what is irrational in being against this:
[link]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8937856/Muslim-women-not-used-to-drinking-walk-free-after-attack-on-woman.html[/link]

Because, yeah I am pretty satisfied with how in the place I live hasn't reached this point, but I always loved London since a kid.

Then I actually set foot in there.

Multiculturalism has it's perks and I experienced a lot of them, but when you just don't give a fudge things start going downhill. Fast.

Ever heard of Detroit and the "white flight"? Something tells me we will see it in London if the authorities are more concerned about celebrating how good multiculturalism is than actually fighting crime.

Mortai Gravesend said:
Now then, since I indulged an apparently irrelevant question, do tell me why you feel it is relevant.
Is it relevant arguing if "pulling the race card" must only benefit you if you have been targeted by racism?

It's not relevant nor productive. Just like a lot of things I let out. It was on purpose, but it wasn't because I felt I was wrong and too ashamed to admit. I just got myself cornered on arguments that would never end.