So, Pirates are Playing Diablo 3

Nargleblarg

Jun 24, 2008
Das Boot said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Why are we in a situation where people who stole Diablo 3 are able to launch the game and just... play, while people who purchased the game have to wait for servers to be fixed to play single player?

Steal the cracked game, play it.

Buy the game, don't get to play it.

That DRM sure did work >_>
No they are not. Diablo 3 has not been cracked yet and will not be cracked any time soon and by soon I mean in the next several months.
Just posting that "Guys seriously there is a pirated version out please believe me" holds no weight on the internet.

Seems Relevant...

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
nu1mlock said:
Again, no scene group will ever create an emulator for Diablo 3. They can't even use the current beta server as they have to develop it all from scratch. Using the current one is against the rules.
The result won't be PERFECT, nor up to Blizzard's standards (their processing corpus is staggering, even among businesses) but I wouldn't be so foolish as to claim that an emulator is impossible or that one won't be developed.

It happened with WoW, it even happened with the Athena Server (Ragnarok Online) when 90% of the country was still back on dial up, it will happen here.
Count on it.

nu1mlock

May 5, 2012
Atmos Duality said:
The result won't be PERFECT, nor up to Blizzard's standards (their processing corpus is staggering, even among businesses) but I wouldn't be so foolish as to claim that an emulator is impossible or that one won't be developed.

It happened with WoW, it even happened with the Athena Server (Ragnarok Online) when 90% of the country was still back on dial up, it will happen here.
Count on it.
People are obviously talking about two different kind of scenes here. While I was talking about the scene with the usual groups which crack games (Reloaded, Skidrow etc.) (1), others started talking about the "private server groups" (2). Two very different things.

I've already said that (1) will never create a server emulator due to the time it would take to get one that would be allowed within that scene and wouldn't be against their rules. I've also said that others (2) WILL create a working emulator, only I'm sure it will take quite a while to get it on par with Blizzards servers. After all, it took quite a while to get the private WoW servers to where they are.

I've never said there aren't any private WoW servers, I've just said that the scene (1) has never created an emulator for a game like Diablo 3, WoW, Rift or any other game that works like those.

I hope that clear some things up a bit and stop the confusion.

jehk

Mar 5, 2012
Atmos Duality said:
D3 is being emulated right now but its total shit on wheels.

I may be wrong. It's been awhile since I bothered to read up on the subject but I believe all private WoW servers are based on a leaked version from Blizzard. If the same happens for D3 then its very possible.

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
overpuce said:
Bostur said:
Are Pirates actually playing D3? Do you have any sources for this?

The online DRM in D3 is a different case than in most games. D3 is dependant on a server infrastructure that does more than check the copy of the game. To 'crack' D3 would require developing a standalone server for it. Unless it is leaked by Blizzard such a server wouldn't be identical to the official one.
To be honest, you wouldn't need a server to emulate what is occurring between the D3 client and the Bliz servers. All you would need is to figure out a way to locally replicate what is occurring and route all D3 client requests to the local "server emulator." Easy squeezy. I'm sure someone's already figured it out. This isn't the most fool proof DRM method in the world.

The drawback? You won't get to play with other people unless you're able to replicate B.Net but lets face it, Pirates and crackers aren't going to go that far.

There's plenty of unofficial WOW, Runescape and Guildwar servers out there (If you ever want to play vanilla-WOW there's probably a server out there that runs it); I'm sure somebody out there would be willing to do the same with D3, especially with all this DRM BS they apparently have. Give it a couple of months.

Personally, I don't blame Blizzard for all of this, they're just the developers of the game itself; this seems like something that was decided by the higher-ups in Activision.

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
Toilet said:
So how is that always online DRM working for you Blizzard?

LOL, I looked that up as soon as I saw this thread. I'd still rather buy it, because I prefer to play on official servers when playing multi-player; I was just curious to see whether it was there already. I have to admit, the DRM is very close to being a deal breaker for me, but I'll give it a couple more months to see if they have sorted out the kinks and glitches.

Seems like Activision should start watching the Jimquisition and Extra Creditz a little more often, lmao!

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
nu1mlock said:
I've never said there aren't any private WoW servers, I've just said that the scene (1) has never created an emulator for a game like Diablo 3, WoW, Rift or any other game that works like those.

I hope that clear some things up a bit and stop the confusion.
Ah. Yeah, the wording threw me off a bit. I see what you're saying now.

I'm quite familiar with how that works; I used MMOs as my case study for my network security degree, and I used Diablo 2 hacks as a point of comparison (the importance of digests and hashes; a primitive topic compared to what we have today).

In fact, I question why the first scene was even brought up to begin with. It doesn't really apply to the topic at hand.

Upon further inspection, I see a some ignorant claims elsewhere in the topic; like how this is identical to Assassin's Creed 2 (it's not; AC2 was a case of adding DRM netcode to a complete, finished product. Diablo 3 is a server-client relationship to its very core. It is, in fact, almost identical to a heavily-instanced MMO by technical design.)

Sigh, I have too much shit to do today to tackle that kind of ignorance, and it's not like it will do the world any good.

Carry on.

EDIT: This one is short enough...

Robert Ewing said:
Well, it took a few minutes longer than usual I guess. Good job on blocking out pirates Blizzard!
For once, the existence of a pirated version isn't as important as providing it at the same quality of service as Blizzard can. That's what separates pirating a "service" compared to pirating a "product".

Games as services are less vulnerable (BUT NOT IMMUNE) to piracy.
It's why WoW continues to print money despite there being dozens of pirate/private WoW servers out there.

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
Freakout456 said:
Just posting that "Guys seriously there is a pirated version out please believe me" holds no weight on the internet.
Seems like it holds enough weight, because it would have been nothing short of a miracle if there were not pirates!

You doubt that people have pirated D3? : \

so many posts so close together; but it doesn't alert people when I just edit a quote into a previous post, does it? *sigh*

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Pirates do as pirates do, as a co-opted saying goes. This is soon to happen with most anything. If it's not there already, someone will find a way to make it happen soon, I'm quite sure.

Limecake

May 18, 2011
geK0 said:
Toilet said:

LOL, I looked that up as soon as I saw this thread. I'd still rather buy it, because I prefer to play on official servers when playing multi-player; I was just curious to see whether it was there already. I have to admit, the DRM is very close to being a deal breaker for me, but I'll give it a couple more months to see if they have sorted out the kinks and glitches.

Seems like Activision should start watching the Jimquisition and Extra Creditz a little more often, lmao!
again that is not a 'crack' for the game. It's the data that can be found on the disc that you buy in the store. Like my physical copy of the Diablo 3 disk I legitimately bought and installed the game to my computer with.

Pirates have not cracked the game, like many people have pointed out the DRM will actually slow them down (since most of the data they need to make the game playable is not found on their computer).

Someone posted a forum earlier where pirates are working on a cracked copy of the game as we speak, I think they are going to attempt to recreate all the data the servers generate by basically 'recording' item drops/monster spawns/everything else. This method might work (even though they are going to need a lot of data to make it even close to Blizzards version) but it is nowhere near a permanent solution as they'll need to 'record' constantly every time new gear/tweaks/anything is released.

A lot of these people are doing it because there is an inherent 'hack value' associated with breaking the DRM and making the game run, it's the same reason a lot of people pick locks but never use it to steal anything. Because the harder the 'lock' the greater the glory for bypassing it.

Personally I'd rather pay $60 one time and not have to deal with all the crap that would come along with trying to pirate the game.

This doesn't mean I'm an Activision/Blizzard fan boy, I just feel a lot of people's hatred towards Diablo 3 is out of hand.

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
Limecake said:
geK0 said:
Toilet said:

again that is not a 'crack' for the game. It's the data that can be found on the disc that you buy in the store. Like my physical copy of the Diablo 3 disk I legitimately bought and installed the game to my computer with.

Pirates have not cracked the game, like many people have pointed out the DRM will actually slow them down (since most of the data they need to make the game playable is not found on their computer).

Someone posted a forum earlier where pirates are working on a cracked copy of the game as we speak, I think they are going to attempt to recreate all the data the servers generate by basically 'recording' item drops/monster spawns/everything else. This method might work (even though they are going to need a lot of data to make it even close to Blizzards version) but it is nowhere near a permanent solution as they'll need to 'record' constantly every time new gear/tweaks/anything is released.

A lot of these people are doing it because there is an inherent 'hack value' associated with breaking the DRM and making the game run, it's the same reason a lot of people pick locks but never use it to steal anything. Because the harder the 'lock' the greater the glory for bypassing it.

Personally I'd rather pay $60 one time and not have to deal with all the crap that would come along with trying to pirate the game.

This doesn't mean I'm an Activision/Blizzard fan boy, I just feel a lot of people's hatred towards Diablo 3 is out of hand.
Hrm really. The more you know : \

I figured that if somebody was going to go to the effort of distributing a pirated copy of the game that it would be a playable version at least. I guess this is just for other people who are trying to crack it?

I guess since they're doing the whole online auction thing, all the randomly generated loot would have to be rolled on Blizzard's end to avoid RNG manipulation wouldn't it? same with a lot of other things I'm guessing.

So the pirates are cracking it more for bragging rights than to just play the game... I never thought of it like that.

Warped_Ghost

Sep 26, 2009
MercurySteam said:
Hey, it's not like this has never happened before. Same thing happens with Ubisoft games.
Ubisoft games dont have the same reputation as Blizzard games to be dam near perfect.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
DigitalAtlas said:
Here's a great question for this entire thread:

>You people clearly own the game
correct

>From what I understand, none of you can play it
incorrect, what ever problems you heard about have been resolved as of, Tuesday. as of Wednesday, Diablo 3 runs like a champ

>Pirates cracked it and are loving it
while i don't doubt this will happen, give its all server side, i highly doubt they're playing it, or least a good version of it

Why don't you pirate a copy, crack it, and play that until the game is back online....? It's not like it's piracy IF YOU OWN IT.
:3 like i said, only launch day it was unplayable, mostly. now the problems are gone, thus your argument is invalid

Madman123456

Feb 11, 2011
Harhar. And you People bought this? Well, serves you right. I'm sorry, but the Information that Multiplayer Servers tend to crash on the first days is not all that new. Now we have this Game which requires you to log on to those Servers even if you don't want to play Multiplayer; which would mean that everyone else has to do so aswell.
So, not just the People who'd like to play Multiplayer try to log on to those Servers which is already enough to make them explode on first day; but everyone.

Blizzard should have seen this coming, so should every single Company who ever published a highly anticipated Multiplayer Game. But they never do for some Reason; Maybe renting serverfarms is very expensive, i dunno. It's besides my Point anyways: The Consumer should have wised up a long time ago.

You want to buy a Game first day? Fine by me and more power to you. But you may not be able to play multiplayer right away. If that doesn't matter to you then have fun in singleplayer mode.

But the little Problem we have with diablo 3 here could have been foreseen and is infact one of the Points in the Argument against "always online DRM", When the Server can't be reached, i can't play my singleplayer Game.

Karsus

May 20, 2012
If they've put the game logic on the server side then it might be necessary to have several people play through the game and all of its different areas, and sniff the data that's coming back to get info on the layout of entire levels and creatures on it. Preferably in a way that knows what's happening on screen so that you have something to compare with. Also, if areas are randomly generated then its possible that you would have to support static maps in a local only version of Diablo 3 so that you can just repeat some of the info that you received in the online run through.

It does sound like an interesting problem to solve, but perhaps not one that's worth the effort of solving. Most of us have work to be doing, and something like this could take between weeks and months of dedicated effort.