So..., SONY was not using outdated servers after all

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
WanderingFool said:
Funny, I saw this thread started out talking about Sony's server security was up to date, and now its more an internet cockfight over Alienware PCs and homebuilt or something...
Don't forget about Penis size as well. That's been brought up to go along with the virtual penis fight....

OT: Not really surprised by this. I mean it was kind of a gimme that Sony wasn't using horribly out of date stuff, they were just lax about keeping up security

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
But what does this say?
That the hackers were really good or got lucky ?
Or that even though the software was new, it wasn't that good anyways?
I have no idea. Feel sorry for Sony anyways, hope they get back on their feet soon.

And also, this thread is unbelievably derailed. And i actually find it interesting reading all of the posts... I'm weird, i guess. Even crazy, maybe!!!!

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
monkey_man said:
Ok you all, this thread is now about pancakes! Since the derailment has already gone too far XD.
I kid (unless I am taken serious, I would love this thread to go for pancakes)

OT. I never questioned Sony. And I never used a credit card. I am quite safe.
Sony (sorta) fanboyism FTW!
Homemade are the best but waffles beat out the flapjacks. If you are going to have pancakes add some butterscotch chips into the batter and a bit of Ameretto and cinnimon sugar to the syrup. 'Tis awesome. For waffles, I like putting fruit and whipped cream on them. But I sometimes do syrup too.

OT: His post covered me too.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
REAL PC gamers buy scrap and build the component themselves.
well at least i didn't buy a new PC since 2002, only ever replaced components. Then again i will spend an entire weekend disassembling and reassembling my PC and am having tons of fun with it but thats just me.

so now that we have the off topic out of the way: i am not sure if this makes sony more or less competent.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
MercurySteam said:
Woodsey said:
Ye be trollin', even the most illiterate person could have seen I was taking the piss out of your shameless childishness (helpfully signposted by myself in the same comment). You could run your games using a hamster wheel, firelighters and some pubic hair for all I care.
She's not worth it man. She be a permanent troll but it's not worth the time you're wasting arguing with her.
Well I am about to be banned for this probation, so I guess I'll see you all later xD

WinterOrbit

Aug 5, 2009
WanderingFool said:
Zetion said:
monkey_man said:
Ok you all, this thread is now about pancakes! Since the derailment has already gone too far XD.

Opinions on Aunt Jemima?
I prefer homemade...
You win the thread (derailment). I haven't laughed harder all week.

OT: As a PS3 owner, I'm happy to know Sony tried to take more care with my data than some news sources let on.

Findlebob

Mar 24, 2011
Something that should be siad here, what's to stop these guys hacking the xbox as they clearly could.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
FranBunnyFFXII said:
Woodsey said:
FranBunnyFFXII said:

sony got hacked.
Give Anon what they want.

Thank god imma pc gamer.
Me and my alienware are having a loads of fun playing mmos and mutlitasking.
No service charges....(XBL)no down servers(PSN)...just lots of great, and many times free games with epic graphics and multiscreens(PC)
Nah, real PC gamers don't buy Alienware.

/continuing childishness

OT: OK then.
a Real PC gamer?
What constitutes a REAL PC gamer?
I doubt you've built as many computers as I have, or dedicated as much time and money into video games that I have.
Come back and tell me that once you've
1.Built at least 100 PCs in about 8 1/2 years
2.Spent at least 2200 hours of in game time in an MMORPG or similar game
3.Spent a summer building and selling computers as an out of home job.
4.work as an official wiki editor for an MMORPG

Nope?
I'm the real PC gamer here, youre just a wanna be.
lol, I think you're making the credentials a little high there. What happens if I find all MMORPGs tedious? Am I just not allowed to be a PC gamer? Well this is news to me, excuse me while I chuck my shitty acer laptop out the window because apparently I'm not welcome in your little club. I'll get over it though, I'm sure. It's cool, I like to hang out with people who can recognise a joke.

You know I usually get annoyed with people complaining about PC gamer elitists on this site but now I think I agree.

OT: Well I think it's a bit harsh to really blame only Sony regardless. They could have poor security but they're not the douchebags who are actually doing the hacking and a lot of people seem to have forgotten that. Sony are already going to suffer by the loss of face and people will always associate this with them forever now, it's a PR disaster.

Jimbo1212

Aug 13, 2009
Well this is just turning out to be another version of 9/11 conspiracies all over again.

Which is scarier to hear :

a) SONY used outdated software

or

b) SONY were using the best software and stable servers yet still got hacked to hell meaning that really anyone is vulnerable.

People want to make up excuses for why SONY got hacked rather then dealing with the harsh truth which is hackers are getting really good as the value of the online market grows and you will always have to be careful.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
WinterOrbit said:
WanderingFool said:
Zetion said:
monkey_man said:

Opinions on Aunt Jemima?
I prefer homemade...
You win the thread (derailment). I haven't laughed harder all week.
*takes a bow* Thank you...

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Woodsey said:
MercurySteam said:
Woodsey said:
Ye be trollin', even the most illiterate person could have seen I was taking the piss out of your shameless childishness (helpfully signposted by myself in the same comment). You could run your games using a hamster wheel, firelighters and some pubic hair for all I care.
She's not worth it man. She be a permanent troll but it's not worth the time you're wasting arguing with her.

Well I am about to be banned for this probation, so I guess I'll see you all later xD
Goddamnit, I'm always too fucking late.

PettingZOOPONY

Dec 2, 2007
My question is where all the servers running that version? I doubt it they have tens of thousands of server racks supporting almost 80 million customers around the world there is bound to be a good amount of servers that are running older software or even newer Beta software that the attack could of used to gain access.

jugglerguy

Aug 6, 2009
TB_Infidel said:
People want to make up excuses for why SONY got hacked rather then dealing with the harsh truth which is hackers are getting really good as the value of the online market grows and you will always have to be careful.
Not to mention that hackers are going to get better at hacking as security gets better. I'm actually kind of surprised that something like this didn't happen sooner.

PettingZOOPONY

Dec 2, 2007
TB_Infidel said:
Well this is just turning out to be another version of 9/11 conspiracies all over again.

Which is scarier to hear :

a) SONY used outdated software

or

b) SONY were using the best software and stable servers yet still got hacked to hell meaning that really anyone is vulnerable.

Some people don't want excuses though but need exact info on how the hack happened so our own security can get better. Granted that is a small amount but we are out there.

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
TheComedown said:
No, Apache.

EDIT:
TB_Infidel said:
There have been good hackers except for maybe the first hour there were an internet. Just that one(or more) decided to get a bigger fish doesn't mean they have gotten "better". It just means the bigger fish should watch out for fishing hook. If you catch the idea..

/puns

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Gee, this topic went off-topic quick.

FranBunnyFFXII said:
Woodsey said:
Can't you two just argue in PMs instead of derailing a topic?

[sup]Oh, holy shit, I think I nearly just took the moral high ground. I better make a dick joke or something...[/sup]

On topic! (oh, the hypocrisy, I went off-topic myself...) - I never doubted Sony had good software to back themselves up. You can't protect against everything, though. If it were %100 safe Sony would sell all their shares of everything and just go into the data protection business, they'd make a bomb.

ameemo

Apr 16, 2011
MercurySteam said:
ameemo said:
apparently someone did some research and found out SONY was using version 2.2.17 of the software used for running servers and apparently it's the latest version of that software.
Good for them? I fail to see how keeping something up to date is supposed to stop hackers from hacking.
Sheds some light on the recent accusation that SONY was running outdated servers, as such they got hacked.
personally i think any kind of services can be hacked with the right tools and dedication

Pyro Paul

Dec 7, 2007
ameemo said:
apparently someone did some research and found out SONY was using version 2.2.17 of the software used for running servers and apparently it's the latest version of that software.

http://bitmob.com/articles/detective-work-reveals-psn-servers-up-to-date
that proves nothing you know...

Sony has a huge internet footprint with several diffrent websites with diffrent offers, programs, and services that ultimatly feed back into Sony's primary servers. It takes one poorly coded website to give a hacker a backdoor into the entire network.

Yeah, sure the PSN security is probably built like a fortress... But a 10 year old website that was long forgotten and orginally used for some vague promotional event? you think thats going to have the same level of security as the PSN access?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Sparrow said:
Gee, this topic went off-topic quick.

FranBunnyFFXII said:
Woodsey said:
Can't you two just argue in PMs instead of derailing a topic?

[sup]Oh, holy shit, I think I nearly just took the moral high ground. I better make a dick joke or something...[/sup]
1) No

2) Dick jokes have already been made