So the upcoming Werewolf game looks pretty bad.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Keep in mind everyone, I was and am really tired when I looked at it on my phone. Now seeing it on a bigger screen really shows how barely any fucks were given when making this game.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Yeah it definitely feels phoned in. I probably wouldn't care so much, if the source material wasn't a really beloved game line from my youth. So seeing it be distilled down to just a shell of it's content, and turned into a fighter game just makes me tired.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Yeah it definitely feels phoned in. I probably wouldn't care so much, if the source material wasn't a really beloved game line from my youth. So seeing it be distilled down to just a shell of it's content, and turned into a fighter game just makes me tired.
On the other hand, it's fuckin' WtA. As stated up-thread, there's not a whole lot there to hang a really compelling story upon. Let alone one that won't get certain sectors of the over-arching community breaking out the torches and pitchforks for depictions of sexual assault, gore and violence, human trafficking and slavery, and not-quite-up-to-current-year-standards depictions of Native Americans. And that's garou behaving themselves, god help us if the game included Silver Fangs or Shadow Lords.

Doing a WtA: Wild West game would have been so much better if they did one at all. Then you could have built a narrative that would have made many people very happy.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
On the other hand, it's fuckin' WtA. As stated up-thread, there's not a whole lot there to hang a really compelling story upon. Let alone one that won't get certain sectors of the over-arching community breaking out the torches and pitchforks for depictions of sexual assault, gore and violence, human trafficking and slavery, and not-quite-up-to-current-year-standards depictions of Native Americans. And that's garou behaving themselves, god help us if the game included Silver Fangs or Shadow Lords.

Doing a WtA: Wild West game would have been so much better if they did one at all. Then you could have built a narrative that would have made many people very happy.
We'll just have to disagree on there "not being a whole lot to hang a story upon". If you are building a fighter/combat game, then yeah of course it's going to be thinned down. But there is a lot of compelling storytelling with the various spirit factions, the dual realms, the fact you can walk between, the tragedy of always being an outsider, to every faction you have ties too. Some great storytelling for a game. But not if all you think WtA is , is shapechanging into Crinos and tearing up shit.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
If you are building a fighter/combat game, then yeah of course it's going to be thinned down. But there is a lot of compelling storytelling with the various spirit factions, the dual realms, the fact you can walk between, the tragedy of always being an outsider, to every faction you have ties too. Some great storytelling for a game.
Agreed. Otherwise you would not have great story in action games like Devil May Cry 3 and Asura's Wrath.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
...But there is a lot of compelling storytelling with the various spirit factions, the dual realms, the fact you can walk between, the tragedy of always being an outsider, to every faction you have ties too...
As I said -- without provoking large, influential, sections of the gaming community breaking out the torches and pitchforks. Practically all of what you just said is thoroughly problematized nowadays, particularly the heavy derivation of Werewolf's metaphysics and lore from Native American religion. Most notably the animism, totems, fetishes, and conception of the Penumbra and Spirit Wilds.

Then you get to the shit garou pull with Kinfolk, and non-Kinfolk humans and wolves. I mean don't get me wrong, I'd have a grand old time not giving a shit what Polytaku would have to say about a game where players keep herds of incestuous sex slaves, that as far as garou are concerned can be practically murdered at will for the mortal crime of not bearing furry rape babies. But after the nonstop years-long shitstorm that's been VtM, somehow I doubt the creators of a cWoD game would be too keen to rile up the masses in the name of '90s edgelord nostalgia.

Literally all you're left with after "revising the setting for contemporary sensibilities" is shapechanging into Crinos and tearing up shit. Under, apparently, the absolute most controlled circumstances available, considering the Pentex subsidiary in question is the most obvious, direct, and non-"controversial" one that can be possibly put into a video game. Because god forbid we do something like have garou go after Pentex's PR firms, lobbying groups, media conglomerate, game companies (lol), or electronics division.

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
As I said -- without provoking large, influential, sections of the gaming community breaking out the torches and pitchforks. Practically all of what you just said is thoroughly problematized nowadays, particularly the heavy derivation of Werewolf's metaphysics and lore from Native American religion. Most notably the animism, totems, fetishes, and conception of the Penumbra and Spirit Wilds.

Then you get to the shit garou pull with Kinfolk, and non-Kinfolk humans and wolves. I mean don't get me wrong, I'd have a grand old time not giving a shit what Polytaku would have to say about a game where players keep herds of incestuous sex slaves, that as far as garou are concerned can be practically murdered at will for the mortal crime of not bearing furry rape babies. But after the nonstop years-long shitstorm that's been VtM, somehow I doubt the creators of a cWoD game would be too keen to rile up the masses in the name of '90s edgelord nostalgia.

Literally all you're left with after "revising the setting for contemporary sensibilities" is shapechanging into Crinos and tearing up shit. Under, apparently, the absolute most controlled circumstances available, considering the Pentex subsidiary in question is the most obvious, direct, and non-"controversial" one that can be possibly put into a video game. Because god forbid we do something like have garou go after Pentex's PR firms, lobbying groups, media conglomerate, game companies (lol), or electronics division.
Except there is the choose your own adventure game of the same premise, that is actually focusing on the story elements that are significant to the game setting, and I've yet to see anyone lose their shit about it. So I still disagree with your jaded statement that everything about the game is horrible 90s edge, since every game I played of it never bothered focusing on that stuff, and had plenty of other stuff to do.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Except there is the choose your own adventure game of the same premise, that is actually focusing on the story elements that are significant to the game setting, and I've yet to see anyone lose their shit about it. So I still disagree with your jaded statement that everything about the game is horrible 90s edge, since every game I played of it never bothered focusing on that stuff, and had plenty of other stuff to do.
Is it a major title release big enough to draw out the outrage merchants to farm hate-clicks, or is it a tiny indie game that hardly anyone except hardcore WtA fans really noticed?

Jaded my butt, that's the setting like it or not. I personally don't, and never really have. I've always been more a VtM, MtAs, and DtF fan personally. The only exception is TWW, which is a neat and culturally-appropriate take on the setting that doesn't get bogged down in furry Captain Planet stuff due to Pentex. That has some meat on its bones, and a WtA: TWW game not only would have been badass, it could have been made without offending half the gaming community, or breaking lore, with the right story. The only potential complaint about the game is if not done just right, it could have been likened to RDR but with crinos form, but fuck that.

The only thing that could have been cooler is a MtAs: TSC game, and there's not a dev studio on the planet I'd trust to do Mage right, if it even somehow could in the limited context of contemporary triple-A gaming conventions.

EDIT: Actually, a WtA:TWW mod would be freaking amazing for RDR2, thinking about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

DJShaddycat

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2020
Country
United States
Mooom, can we have God of War?
No, we have God of War at home.
God of war at home

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
So I saw the trailer for this on psn and it looked awesome but then the screenshots looked like a generic third person shooter...big letdown lol. Isn't this supposed to be based on a fantasy rpg?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
So I saw the trailer for this on psn and it looked awesome but then the screenshots looked like a generic third person shooter...big letdown lol. Isn't this supposed to be based on a fantasy rpg?
Its based on a table top RPG game set in the contemporary world, but with werewolfs, mages, vampires, etc.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Apparently thrashing shit as a werewolf is fun, but that's the only thing that is, based on the reviews I've seen. The phrase "This feels like a game from 10+ years ago" is kind of concerning.

Which means I could just go replay prototype or something like that if that's what I want out of a game.

Think more grimdark Urban Fantasy and you'll be pretty much on the nose. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Darkness

Last edited:

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Its based on a table top RPG game set in the contemporary world, but with werewolfs, mages, vampires, etc.
If I'm remembering correctly, there's also a lot of importance placed on maintaining "the masquerade"- i.e. keeping evidence of the supernatural hidden from normal humans. Your own clan/pack/whatever will happily slaughter you if you screw up and reveal their existence to even a single person. So going on a rampage and assaulting an entire complex in the open because they snuffed your girl? That's high on the no-no list.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
If I'm remembering correctly, there's also a lot of importance placed on maintaining "the masquerade"- i.e. keeping evidence of the supernatural hidden from normal humans. Your own clan/pack/whatever will happily slaughter you if you screw up and reveal their existence to even a single person. So going on a rampage and assaulting an entire complex in the open because they snuffed your girl? That's high on the no-no list.
I think the masqurade was what the vampires called it, hence the name. I forget what the werewolfs called it, but kinda the same thing in the end, despite the fact the werewolfs were op to the point of probably being able to rip up a tank.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I get that it has a contemporary setting, I just think you can make a fantasy game in that setting and you don't need to make a traditional looking third person shooter. But yeah it may be that way in that franchise where it's more of a generic realistic setting with a bit of flavoring of fantasy stuff. It just felt like a missed opportunity to me.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I get that it has a contemporary setting, I just think you can make a fantasy game in that setting and you don't need to make a traditional looking third person shooter. But yeah it may be that way in that franchise where it's more of a generic realistic setting with a bit of flavoring of fantasy stuff. It just felt like a missed opportunity to me.
...I'm not sure what you are saying here? Do you mean doing a World of Darkness: Medieval type game in general? Or specifically using this game engine to do so? Because I do believe they did publish some books back in the day for alternate points in history that would let you play in pre-modern eras. Though frankly there's nothing stopping a Storyteller from just doing that in a fantasy setting.

Or do you mean an urban fantasy game?