So "this" happened again.

Fidchell Attano

Feb 28, 2013
This moment to my everlasting shame forever haunts me and enrages me.

I was at a local Gamestop in Newark. There were a lot of people there, a lot of players, a lot of wins and losses. A guy is playing and he loses. Now, I said in a fun-poking sort of way "OOOOOOOOOOh Morrigan got her ass beat!" He gets angry because I "talked shit" to him. Now, I tried to alleviate the situation by saying "Look man, I was just having fun, no shit talking intended." Before I could finish saying this he says: "no no, shut up." and to my everlasting RAGE and shame I did as he said and shut up. The prick said "Yo I need to get outta here, I need a cigarette." Now, he starts mumbling and bragging to himself about how he was going to beat me up and take my stuff. He said in a stupid tone meant to be a mockery of past victims "Oh mommy that guy took my stuff, please don't take my stuff~." I was going to get Batman Arkham City from that Gamestop, I didn't admit this to myself at the time, but I did not buy the game because of this guy. I wanted to play some MvC3, but I was off my game because I was afraid of this guy. I left the Gamestop frustrated, he followed me out and said "Lets go, come on." I told him "I'm not going anywhere with you." He got up in my face and said "Well next time you better not be talkin shit" I just glared at him as he walked away.....A few months later I remembered this and I told myself that if I ever met this guy again, I would talk shit to him to intentionally piss him off, lead him into an alley as he was trying to lead me....And then beat him within an inch of his life. What's changed since then? This isn't the first time something like this has happened, some douche using fear tactics on me. I took up working out and fancy a good fight now. I am stronger, faster and smarter than I have ever been. I am also much calmer, but I am so....much...angrier.....I'm able to control the rage but I am so angry about certain things. I patiently await the day I meet this guy again, I etch the excitement in my bones. Because on that day, I am going to make that filthy, disgusting, thug feel t same humiliation that he probably made a whole bunch of other people feel. I am going to beat him up, take his wallet, and burn every dollar in it, then I'll take a cigarette from his pocket, and light it, and burn him with it......Burn him until he begs me to stop, then I'll stomp him in his manhood and spit on him.

redmoretrout

Oct 27, 2011
Wow, I had no idea how many bad-asses use the escapist! We should set up an escapist boxing gym or something, since apparently half of the posters here make a habit of beating muggers. Snarky comments aside though, this guy has the right of it.

BitterLemon said:
When you are attacked cowardly like that, there's nothing to prove to anyone... who needs to be ashamed is the attacker. Reacting violently just could get you killed for a cell phone... and who gonna suffer the loss is your friends and family.
Don't risk your life for the contents of your pockets.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
I've never been mugged or anything like that but if I was I feel I would be pretty jumpy. I'd probably co-operate as I'm a pretty short dude but if I had to fight then I'm just going for the eyes. At that point I just want the danger gone for me and whoever is with me.

Lonewolfm16

Feb 27, 2012
IamLEAM1983 said:
I'm from the suburbs, but I've rambled around Montreal following late-night parties, back in my Bachelor's days. See, there's a thing most people don't know, and it's that muggers apparently have a sliding scale of opportunity.

White male, mid twenties, obviously well-endowed on the financial level and with the smartphone "du jour" in plain sight? Yeah, that's a prime target. Myself and two other guys from my promotion were accosted, and I was completely ignored.

I was in my later twenties, quite visibly getting closer to thirty, not so well-endowed financially as most bachelor-level Literature students are wont to be, and my cell phone was a crappy Nokia flip model with a first-generation LCD screen. Top-of-the-line back in 2003, definitely a budget-priced model by 2010. Add my visible limp to that and you have every definition of the one guy you'd have no reason to mug whatsoever.

I've been jostled, called names, jeered at and kicked at - but never outright mugged. I guess wearing your "starving artist-slash-university student" mantle on a permanent basis gets you some kind of protection, and being disabled compounds that.

All this does is corroborate the common big of wisdom saying that if you're wandering about, don't keep your valuable belongings in plain sight. I've upgraded to an iPhone 4 recently and I never carry it openly unless I'm in a public space.

Never, ever try and snag one of the public WiFi signals around the island while on the sidewalk. Just don't. First, turning on the spot with your phone raised up makes you look like a tool, and it tells virtually everyone that you have a snazzy piece of tech.
Wouldn't white females be better targets, because they are probably smaller and less muscled? Unless its a honor code thing which would be..odd. Then again I would expect disability to be a sign of exploitable weakness, so what do I know.

OneOfTheMichael's

Jul 26, 2010
Shit like this always happens, like it just happened to my friend a few days ago in which he was mugged of phone and 70$ by a group of aboriginal (who in Canada are sorta like african americans 'gangsters' in America). I've also heard of these 2 men who recently went on a crime spree in my city who, assaulted a man for no reason, broke into and robbed a house only to have the residents flee by simply saying they had more money in the car, so they broke into another house after hearing cops and were surprised to find themselves being attacked the by the guy in the house who kept a machete under the bed, and finally they fled and were caught by the k9 unit. And this all happened under 15 minutes.
You'd think some people just are crazy to just break all the laws for no reason.

aidopotato

Dec 6, 2007
I live in Dublin and while I've not been attacked or mugged myself, you hear a lot about it happening and you have to put up with a lot of scumbags looking for trouble or junkies aggressively begging from you as you go about your business. Usually I try and remain confident, not back down and to talk or walk my way out of any prospective hairy situation. This happened last year though:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/murder-of-journalist-gardai-arrest-two-men-in-connection-with-eugene-moloneys-death-26869012.html

To paraphrase; A journalist was on his way home from the pub one night, some drunk guy starts slinging abuse at him as he's walking. Journalist turns around to start slinging abuse back; the guys friend comes up behind journalist, punches him on the back of the head. Journalist goes down, and dies shortly afterwards of internal bleeding. Drunk assh*les steal his wallet and phone while he's laying dying on the ground.

This tragic event made me think long and hard about how best to handle these low-level street encounters. I've decided you just have to keep your head down and get as far away from the situation as you can, as quickly as you can. If that means swallowing your pride and handing over your phone / wallet / watch- so be it. You'll live to get another one.

danintexas

Jul 30, 2010
I will prob get some hate for this but I won't apologize for it. Wife and me were in an apartment on the 1st floor at the time. Was about 2 am. On the 2nd floor was a young girl (about 18-19) who had just broke up with her boyfriend. So about 2am this ex-boyfriend came tearing into the apartment complex parking up on the grass. Then ran upstairs to her apartment and started kicking the hell out of her door. I could hear her screaming and heard him start yelling he was going to kill her.

Wife and me both got up wondering what to do. When I heard the guy say he was going to kill her I told the wife to call the police. I grabbed my 357 from my bedside and went upstairs keeping the gun behind me. Saw this drunk kid kicking the hell of her door and I said - "Hey you need to not be doing that"

Drunk guy turns to me and says "F you fatty" (yes I am fat but whatever).

The next thing that happened was so surreal. I pulled my firearm from behind my back and pulled the hammer back telling him he needs to step away from the door that the police was on their way. He looked at me shocked and then flipped me off and ran.

Girl was thankful I stepped in apparently the guy was abusive (not a big shock there). This was the only time I have pulled a firearm on someone and it has stuck with me ever since. I have a concealed weapons permit and I have gone through alot of training.... but knowing I was just a flick of my finger from killing a kid. I still don't know if what I did was right. The cops told me not to worry about it. I just don't know if that guy had of stepped to me if I would of pulled the trigger.

Something that still sits with me every day that I pointed a loaded weapon at another human being. I hope nearly everyday I never have to use my firearms in a defense situation. I am not sure how I could deal with it.

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
This happened to me back in high school. I was 17 and I was on a three day school field trip. Since we were that old the teacher let us wander around the town in the evening, and there was this roadshow coming into town at the time so everyone was pretty hyped. My best friend and I, on the other hand, were pretty reclusive guys who didn't like partying, so we just hung around the dorms and played poker and whatnot. On the second evening the teacher called us and told us that a group of the girls were not picking up their phones at the roadshow and he wanted us to find them (so he practically sent us on a wild goose chase, but the guys was an asshole to begin with, so it was expected).

So, we went in, and by the time we got to the place it turned out that the girls were already on their way back. As such we decided to return to the dorms as well when three kids of our age or a little younger (and another ethnicity, though again, skin color and being an asshole rarely correlates) started tailing us. When they caught up with us they started with the typical mugger speak about being asking for a time and what my pal was carrying in his pack and such. So, these guys focused almost entirely on him, and then... He bolted like a jackrabbit and left me there with the three guys.

Now then, for the record, I am a thin and relatively short guy, however that day I was wearing a leather jacket that arguably made my frame look wider and was pretty pissed at the teacher already, and then my best friend also just left me there like that. Needless to say, I was pretty cross and it probably showed on my face (which is apparently a little scary by default, or so I am told). Also, while I had no real experience with muggers (since I was a village boy), I had plenty of experience with wild fucking dogs, and I decided to use the same treatment as I did with those: straighten myself and walk in a confident stride without making prolonged eye-contact.

Needless to say the three guys had no idea what to do with me, so at first they started asking me for the time, then told me that they were only joking and that I should call my friend on the phone, at which point I told them to fuck off and that I am not so stupid to take my valuables with me after dark. At this point they really didn't know what to do and they started acting all buddy-buddy with me and tried to befriend me, asking me not to tell this anyone and that they were only messing around. In the end they said goodbye and left at an intersection without even as much as touching me.

And the icing on the cake? Past about 200 meters of that intersection I found my friend... collapsed in the ditch beside the road because he got a horrible cramp in his leg from running too hard and couldn't even get in his feet. And then the police showed up and they refused to take my description of the three guys because I told them not to substract 20 centimeters (0.6 foot) from their height, for which they answered that it was standard procedure because "I was very afraid at the time and being afraid makes them look bigger". Then I asked him if he really believed that we were attacked by 1.2 meters (~4 feet) tall midgets, at which point the patrolman told me to shut up and sent me away to ask my pal instead.

So yeah, that was one weird way to end a school outing... -.-

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Lonewolfm16 said:
IamLEAM1983 said:
I'm from the suburbs, but I've rambled around Montreal following late-night parties, back in my Bachelor's days. See, there's a thing most people don't know, and it's that muggers apparently have a sliding scale of opportunity.

White male, mid twenties, obviously well-endowed on the financial level and with the smartphone "du jour" in plain sight? Yeah, that's a prime target. Myself and two other guys from my promotion were accosted, and I was completely ignored.

I was in my later twenties, quite visibly getting closer to thirty, not so well-endowed financially as most bachelor-level Literature students are wont to be, and my cell phone was a crappy Nokia flip model with a first-generation LCD screen. Top-of-the-line back in 2003, definitely a budget-priced model by 2010. Add my visible limp to that and you have every definition of the one guy you'd have no reason to mug whatsoever.

I've been jostled, called names, jeered at and kicked at - but never outright mugged. I guess wearing your "starving artist-slash-university student" mantle on a permanent basis gets you some kind of protection, and being disabled compounds that.

All this does is corroborate the common big of wisdom saying that if you're wandering about, don't keep your valuable belongings in plain sight. I've upgraded to an iPhone 4 recently and I never carry it openly unless I'm in a public space.

Never, ever try and snag one of the public WiFi signals around the island while on the sidewalk. Just don't. First, turning on the spot with your phone raised up makes you look like a tool, and it tells virtually everyone that you have a snazzy piece of tech.
Wouldn't white females be better targets, because they are probably smaller and less muscled? Unless its a honor code thing which would be..odd. Then again I would expect disability to be a sign of exploitable weakness, so what do I know.
You'd be right, normally. All I know is the bored kids past Montreal's meaner corners don't seem to give a fuck about a guy who's still in the "Yay, I have twenty bucks in my account!" stage of life.

nepheleim

Sep 10, 2008
JustanotherGamer said:
Hey, I absolutely agree that you should be able to protect yourself with whatever you want, and I am a cop. I'm happy to tell citizens that they need to arm up, since police are usually minutes away at best, and thanks to budget cuts, maybe hours away. I've even faded heat for it from my higher ups. Any cop who tells you you can't protect yourself is either a.) having to pay lip service to his higher ups by promoting their BS agenda, or b.) an idiot.

I can only recommend you move away from wherever you are where the law is more interested in keeping criminals cozy than protecting you.

AITH

Apr 10, 2013
The number of posts in here talking about how badass folks think they are because they LARP with foam swords or their mom told them they have a mean stare is priceless. What's that? You take karate and the guy you're paying says you're supoer good? You're in a class with baby-boomers and high school kids and you're the best? Dang bro, look out.

Beat14

Jun 27, 2010
Guess I'm lucky. Some guy tried to steal my bike as I road past him. He had stepped out onto the road way to early and I knew something was up. Cycle on by, ha.

As others have said, be a bad ass in the town you live in, but in a big city you will probably end up getting what's coming to you.

I don't know how I would react, and it's something I don't really want to find out.

I given someone a crazy stare before, but it's wasn't really for the sake of scaring, it was a legitimate crazy stare I guess. The context being, you punch me in the face again, and I'm going to start throwing jabs at you. I confess this was in a club.

My thought are, I would fight it I had no option, otherwise see you later or take my money.

Asmundr

Mar 17, 2010
As I don't have a CHL yet I carry a...well, unspecified amount of knives, multi-tools, and other utility objects on my person whenever I go out. I learned a long time ago that the best way to deal with people who want to start a fight is to show that your ready for war.

It saved my life in high school and again in college.

The tools I carry also come in hand during everyday events and its always funny to watch my professors or classmates react to when I pull an multitude of stuff from my person. I haven't gotten called out on it yet and even my campus officers are cool with it as I'm not breaking any laws.

OT: The only times I had to draw my weapons was during the the two times I mentioned above. The first time was when I as in high school and some wannabe toy tried to start a fight with me during our art class. The second time was during college and one of my (now former) clubmates took a swing at me due to some argument (or simply cause the dude was a smug snake and didn't like me, I can't be to sure of which.)

So I make sure now to carry many things that are or can be used as weapons. I know where they are, have practiced drawing them from a variety of positions, and I also hope I don't actually have to fully use them in the future.

AITH

Apr 10, 2013
danintexas said:
I just don't know if that guy had of stepped to me if I would of pulled the trigger.

Something that still sits with me every day that I pointed a loaded weapon at another human being. I hope nearly everyday I never have to use my firearms in a defense situation. I am not sure how I could deal with it.
In that case you may want to consider buying a smaller gun than a 357...or at least consider shooting them in the leg. Had he come after you and you blew his ass away, you probably would have gone to prison for manslaughter. The legal definition of self defense is not what the layman thinks it is, especially if the guy was unarmed.

ellieallegro

Mar 8, 2013
I have been mugged twice. Once in Paris and once in New York. I always carry a "mugging" wallet on me when I'm in big cities or any high-risk area. The mugging in Paris was a group so I just played dumb and tossed them my wallet and ran the other way. The one in NY was solo and he was wielding a huge knife so used my krav maga baton (5 yrs of training, woo!) that I carry with me and laid him out. I anonymously called the police after the fact so I don't know if he was still in the area when they arrived. Every situation is different: the best course of action is obviously one that preserves your life and avoids unnecessary legal paperwork.

Be aware of your surroundings and pay attention to your instincts is the best advice anyone can follow. I also encourage people (esp those with slight builds) to take serious self defense classes. No, not that fake "kick boxing" workout at the gym... sure that class is great for checking out the hot instructor and wearing some cute yoga pants but it's let's be real: It's not for self defense.

Sep 14, 2009
ObsidianJones said:
Even now when I live in the suburbs, my friends and I can be the only people there and I still look around and make sure I know where and how to exit if things goes wrong.
while i don't live in a horrible area (shit happens nearly every night within a 5 mile radius, weekly stabbings/shootings on the news/etc...but not the bronx, most definitely) i have always been "blessed" with the knowledge of how to best avoid situations, and to always prepare before i go in or to somewhere and which route to take. Hell I can be even driving and I do this, or if I'm waking on the sidewalk I always make sure to know which side of the street is safest and easiest to run/hide if someone is coming, and even then I usually jaywalk to avoid running into anyone.

OT: The only incident that PERSONALLY involved me, was at a party where this dude was being the biggest douchebag known to mankind, and he came up to me and starting talkin shit and tried picking a fight with me, where I looked at him right in the eye, with a very "lol, you're talking to me douchebag?" look on my face, and he pushed me thinking I would stand down (he was maybe half an inch taller than me, but not remotely as muscular) and I got into a super serious tone where I said "I dare you to fucking try that again, I'll slam you down by your throat and choke you to death, is my face the last fucking thing you want to see before lights out you fuckin ****?" and he left, and haven't seen him since. Most of the people there were either already friends of mine or became my friend that night lol, they thought he was a big cockface too and wanted to back me up.

nepheleim

Sep 10, 2008
AITH said:
danintexas said:
I just don't know if that guy had of stepped to me if I would of pulled the trigger.

In that case you may want to consider buying a smaller gun than a 357...or at least consider shooting them in the leg. Had he come after you and you blew his ass away, you probably would have gone to prison for manslaughter. The legal definition of self defense is not what the layman thinks it is, especially if the guy was unarmed.
I'm not sure there's a state in the union where you won't go to jail for intentionally shooting to maim. That said, make sure you know your local self defense laws. If in Texas, you shoot to stop the threat based on a reasonable fear for your life. Get a lawyer anyway, cause even if the police decide it's self defense and don't take criminal action against you, the civil suit is basically guaranteed.