So, what are you reading right now?

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
I'm currently reading Doom: Inferno Sky, book 3 of the Doom books. It's not that great, but it's kind of fun to read. Saying that, I've had it open for two weeks and haven't even gotten to the 100-page mark. It would be finished by now if I had more time to read, and if I used the time that I do have to read.

I'll probably start Game of Thrones after this. Either that or book 2 in the Bartimaeus series.

GrimSheeper said:
The complete works of Shakespeare including the temple notes. Was a birthday present.
Awesome. If you like that, you should really check out Christopher Marlowe's complete plays. I wouldn't say that it's better, but it sure is good. Doctor Faustus is amazing, and so is Dido Queen of Carthage.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
I'm at the last 50 pages of Lord of the Rings.

I have been lacking in will to complete it ever since
Sauron assploded!
Good thing I spoiler tagged that right.
Wouldn't want to spoil that to anyone.

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
A Splendid Exchange: How Trade Shaped The World

Ashamed to say I was prodded toward the subject by the anime Spice&Wolf :p Pretty interesting anyway. I like historical non-fiction that's written very prosaically. Not quite Erik Larson -level, but still pretty grand and romantic.

Electric Alpaca said:
Quicksilver, by Neal Stephenson.

Very heavy, very involved historical fiction. Definitely have to be in a reading mood to take everything in, and its only book one of three "The Baroque Cycle"
Quicksilver picks up a lot about halfway through. That's any Neal Stephenson book. Very dense, but extremely readable. You'll be sad when it's over.

pwned123456

Feb 4, 2011
maninahat said:
pwned123456 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
I'm reading "Night Watch" by Terry Pratchett. Please don't kill me, because it's the first City Watch tale I've read. Other than it I've only read the Rincewind books.
quote wiat how many city watch books are there i liked the first and the second was good but there are more!
Let's see.. Guards Guards!, Men at Arms, Feet of Clay, The fifth elephant...

I've seen a couple of the recent adaptations of Pratchett's books into tv movies. The Hogfather was cool, but had pacing problems. The Colour of Magic was pretty sucky (most of the jokes are looking very dated now), and had pacing problems. I wish they would make movies based on the "Night Watch" books, because their straight-forward cop mystery format lends themselves much better to a tv format.
i know i haven't seen the movies but i think the only terry pratchet novels ive read that would make a good movie or show are the night watch ones

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross. It's essentially HP Lovecraft by way of Terry Pratchett and the SCP Foundation. An immensely entertaining read.

I recently finished The Wise Man's Fear, and I have Ringworld and A Game of Thrones lined up after I finish my current book. I'm in no danger of becoming illiterate.

Korak the Mad

Nov 19, 2010
I read the Magic the Gathering novels, they're actually very good. Right now I'm reading "Scars of Mirrodin: The Quest for Karn" It's actually very good, very well detailed and the story is very interesting.

LiraelG

Jun 22, 2011
I'm reading 'The Pinhoe Egg' by Diana Wynne Jones, author of 'Howl's Moving Castle,' which a few of you will know! :) It's part of her Christomanci series, and the only novel I haven't yet read from it. It's a good series overall; it's fun, a bit zany, and extremely creative.

I'm also making my way through 'Wise Man's Fear' by Patrick Rothfuss, and plan to finish 'The Meaning of Night' by Michael Cox.

I've just finished an English degree, and my pile of books has reached the height of my room. In fact, it might be a little taller... :)

Greatjusticeman

May 29, 2011
IcyEvils said:
Greatjusticeman said:
I'm reading The Waste Lands - the third book in Stephen King's, The Dark Tower, series.

Really enthralled. Can definitely see the vast improvement in his writing as you go from book 1 to book 3 of them.
Oh really? I just finished book 1 after a month (I read the Harry Potter series in a week, and LotR in a week for reference), because I found it bored me to tears, the writing was pretentious and gave far too many "carrots-on-a-stick" for me to properly care for Roland. Also, King makes a point of making every bloody reference he can to either High-Fantasy or pop culture. Should I bother reading the 2nd?
Definitely. It picks up in the second book, and a lot of people consider that one their favorite. It deals with alternate universes and such, but I found it really entertaining, and snicked quiet a few times as well. The ending is also extremely badass, and humorous in a way.

But it also gets better once the second book ends, because then his quest for the Dark Tower really begins.

It was a drag for me as well to read the first one, but it's just one of those series I felt like I should read, so I made myself get through it.

EDIT: It's funny, and cool, to see how many people are now picking up A Game of Thrones since the TV show enthralled them so. It's good to see the GRRM's work is now really spreading around.

And on that note of fantasy, does anyone know of any good books that tell the tale of the Arthur legend basically? You know, Camelot, Merlin, Lancelot...I tried watching the Starz show - Camelot - and it was awful, but I'm still interested in reading about the legend. So if anyone knows of good books, it can be series, about the legend, please let me know.

OutcastBOS

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2009
This thread. HURR HURR I SO FUNNY.

Seriously though, I've been reading comics, specifically Scott Pilgrim.

Whiptail

Feb 22, 2010
maninahat said:
Whiptail said:
The da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
I like to read it when I need a laugh. If I recall correctly, none of the characters sleep once over a four day period of constant persuit. Whatever may be said about Dan Brown though, the guy knows how to make a page turner.
I have about 50 pages left and they haven't slept once yet and the persuit has going on for days xD.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
A book on legal philosophy for my tutoring job, and Muv-Luv and Kikokugai - The Cyber Slayer, both visual novels (i.e. a text based form of PC adventure game; so what do you have to say about that, Obama?).

yjchung

Apr 24, 2011
Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell.
The Messenger and The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.
Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens.

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
Electric Alpaca said:
Quicksilver, by Neal Stephenson.

Very heavy, very involved historical fiction. Definitely have to be in a reading mood to take everything in, and its only book one of three "The Baroque Cycle"
Yeah, I tried to read Quicksilver. Got about 20 pages in and turned to my brother and said "Ok, never mind, I don't want a lend of it."

It's difficult to get through...

A bit like "Dances With Wolves".

OT: I finished my exams on Monday, and I hadn't read anything because of school, so I'm probably gonna get into something this weekend.

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
Hayate the Combat Butler

im also reading TONS of others im just waiting for new chapters to come in.

looking at you 'Wolfen Guy, Naruto and Bleach'

HerrBobo

Jun 3, 2008
Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky.

The game is based on it. Only about 50 pages in, but really enjoying it thus far.

It is a dystopian future where 27,000 people live in the Moscow metro 20 years after Russia was destroyed in a nuclear war. The people left alive have to deal with bandits, mutants and worse, The Dark Ones.

I'm really into dystopian fiction so I'm enjoying it. I recommend it. Though, it must be said it is translated into English from Russian, and the language can be a bit off at times.

Great game too!

mik1

Dec 7, 2009
I don't read...

jk

I personally think people who say that are douches

anyways I'm reading a lot of Michael Chirchton. It's unfortunate it seems like he died right when I started reading his books.

After that I plan to start on Ray Bradbury.