So, what are you reading right now?

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Homestuck, a webcomic which is fucking long and easily the most interested I've ever been in a story's characters.

CAPTCHA: ategali can -- but can was typed upside down.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Haven't started it yet, but Alice in Wonderland. Because so many games and manga reference and base themselves heavily on it that I feel I need to read it or be confused and lost.

Doctor Gonzo

Jun 22, 2011
I'm rereading Tom Wolfe's "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test," about the time Mr. Wolfe spent with Ken Kesey (who authored "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest") and the Merry Pranksters in '60s San Fransisco.

I'm also reading "Me Talk Pretty One Day," by David Sedaris, and a collection of Grimm's Fairy Tales. Truly warped stuff; y'know, for the kids.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
As usual, I have three books going simultaneously: The Secret Life of Trees, Against the Day and A Devil's Chaplain. Need to stop doing that.

akfg666

Dec 9, 2010
Bravo Two Zero by Andy Mcnab...It's his true life account of when he took an SAS patrol of 8 men over into Iraq to severe communications into Baghdad and also to destroy an MSR that was supplying SCUD launchers at the time. It chronicles the physical and mental hardships him and his patrol went through and when he speaks of his capture and torture...it's harrowing.

A brilliant read which I recommend EVERYONE reads

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
The first compendium of The Walking Dead. The one that includes the first 48 issues.

Ive got up to the prison part when the two lovers shoot themselves

lvl9000_woot

Oct 30, 2009
MercurySteam said:
maninahat said:
MercurySteam said:
The Gears of War novels. I'm thoroughly absorbed.
What do they talk about?

Provides backstory such as The Pendulum Wars , The Siege of Anvil Gate and the initial Hammer of Dawn deployment and fills in the gaps between Gears 1 and 2 and betweeen Gears 2 and 3. It introduces characters such as Jace Stratton [http://gearsofwar.wikia.com/wiki/Jace], Sam Byrne [http://gearsofwar.wikia.com/wiki/Sam] and Bernie Mataki [http://gearsofwar.wikia.com/wiki/Bernadette_Mataki] and provides details of the earlier life of Marcus, Hoffman, Prescott, Bernie, etc.
Love the avatar :D. Just started watching Soul Eater.

OT: Are they anything like the Halo books(if you've read them)?

I'm just now getting back into the Skulduggery Pleasant series. Haven't read them in ages.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
SckizoBoy said:
katsabas said:
Therapeutical Chemistry. Yeah, it's pretty good.
What... how chemistry can be therapeutic? Or the chemistry of therapeutics?
It is basically how chemical structure can affect a drug's activity. They just named it that way to make it sound fancy. They failed but it is still good.

Fleetfiend

Jun 1, 2011
I'm reading The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice. I love the book, and the series it's in, but I've been reading it for months now because... well I guess it's because I've been doing other things. And not necessarily productive things. xD

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
I'm reading the Awakening for school, but I was planning on reading 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and Heart of Darkness after I finish.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Finished The Prose Edda yesterday; I'm about to begin reading Journey to the West; it's research material for my bachelor's thesis, but still quite entertaining.

claymoreguy18

Jan 3, 2011
Right now I'm reading Kim harrison's "white witch, black curse" Its from the hollows series and is pretty good so far.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
katsabas said:
It is basically how chemical structure can affect a drug's activity. They just named it that way to make it sound fancy. They failed but it is still good.
Iiiiiiiiiinteresting... mind giving me the ISBN, this has piqued my interest... (though being someone who has thoroughly choked the life out of the rule of 5, not sure how it'll do for me)

Mordekaien

Sep 3, 2010
Game of Thrones by G.R.R.M.
The Twelve Kingdoms by Fuyumi Ono
Something ends, something begins Andrzej Sapkowski

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
lvl9000_woot said:
MercurySteam said:
maninahat said:
MercurySteam said:
The Gears of War novels. I'm thoroughly absorbed.
What do they talk about?

Provides backstory such as The Pendulum Wars , The Siege of Anvil Gate and the initial Hammer of Dawn deployment and fills in the gaps between Gears 1 and 2 and betweeen Gears 2 and 3. It introduces characters such as Jace Stratton [http://gearsofwar.wikia.com/wiki/Jace], Sam Byrne [http://gearsofwar.wikia.com/wiki/Sam] and Bernie Mataki [http://gearsofwar.wikia.com/wiki/Bernadette_Mataki] and provides details of the earlier life of Marcus, Hoffman, Prescott, Bernie, etc.
Love the avatar :D. Just started watching Soul Eater.

OT: Are they anything like the Halo books(if you've read them)?

I'm just now getting back into the Skulduggery Pleasant series. Haven't read them in ages.
Comparing them to the Halo books is difficult as they storylines are completely diffferent, but Karen Traviss is an amazing author.

And I love Skulduggery Pleasant. I probably should get the next book as I have the first three.

Ambi

Oct 9, 2009
"Peter, for his part, kept looking up at the sky and yelling "Space!" or down at the water with a show of moodiness, saying "Lucidness," or stamping his feet on the ground and repeating over and over and over again, "Solidness, solidness, solidness," although he hadn't the vaguest idea why he enjoyed doing this.
I'm mainly reading The Town and the City by Jack Kerouac. Decent novels about young people written in old-times have a tendency to make me feel like I'm living wrong. I used to sit during my lunch break and eat ice and look at the gutters and fences and everything and almost marvel at three dimensional reality, thinking it was because I spent so much time on the computer. I'm enjoying this book, despite the tiring slightly of this sloppy family sentimentality and wondering how commonly his observations on the differences between the sexes are reflected in reality.

I just finished And The Hippos Were Boiled In Their Tanks, I think I'll find some more by Jack Kerouac. I'm happy I decided to absorb myself in fiction and stories again. I used to try to be all smart and borrow or buy second hand piles of books on science, philosophy or history and only read fragments of them and procrastinate reading them until I had to take them back, or they just sit on my shelf with something sticking out of them. Maybe someday I'll get around to reading these philosophy and political science books, for now I'm probably just like one of those pretentious kinds who are interested in to the minimum extent required to be smart-arses disproving Christianity and prick their ears up at anything that might give them the opportunity to yell "viva la revolution!" and boil over with indignant rage.

Dma

Jun 28, 2011
Last post, about the First World War told from the surviving soldiers (who are, as of now, all deceased). It's a really good insight into the life's they lived.

SpaceArcader

Mar 2, 2011
I have a lot of books to complete. I need to complete the rest of the Larsson trilogy (highly recommended to pick up), American Psycho, Fight Club, Catcher in the Rye, Crime and Punishment, Rendevouz with Rama, Blood Meridian, Broken Angels by Richard Morgan and if I can read Invisible Monsters and Man in the High Castle.