So, what did you end up buying in the Steam Sale? And, how much did you spend?

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Chibz said:
Nothing. Steam is all garbage in that it's a massive scam. Any price for a leased game is too much. Except if they priced it down to $0.01 / game...
Scam? Not sure where that's coming from. I've never had any issues with Steam and I enjoy the service they provide. Plus I'd like to see Gamestop try to top their awesome sales.

OT: Arkham Asylum for $7.50 and Team Fortress 2 for $5.00. I woulda gotten more but I wanted to save cash for other stuff.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
AAaaAAAAaaAAAH
Jedi Knight pack
Shank
Lara Croft+Guardian of Light
Tomb Raider Anniversary
Wanted: Weapons of fate
The Club
Arcania
F.E.A.R games
Guardians of Graxia
Recettear (The best indie title out in 2010, fuck your minecraft!)
Titan Quest pack
Dragon Age ultimate Edition
Global Agenda

And I'm pretty sure that was all for under £100.
Oh, I also got Blade Kitten from a buddeh of mine.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
Prince of Persia (2008) - great game, wish they continued it instead of stupid and boring sands of time story
Half Life: Blue Shift
Half Life: Opposing Force

I wanted to buy Stalker and GTA IV bundles, but i didn't want to torture myself having them but not being able to get them - i've got only 10gb download limit:(

Shpongled

Apr 21, 2010
Chibz said:
scotth266 said:
Chibz said:
lacktheknack said:
Valve hereby grants, and you accept, a limited, terminable, non-exclusive license and right to use the Software for your personal use in accordance with this Agreement and the Subscription Terms. The Software is licensed, not sold. Your license confers no title or ownership in the Software.
Learn2readingcomprehension.

That part of the agreement specifies STEAM. So if you download Steam, you don't own it. The games you get THROUGH Steam are another matter entirely.
All offers to purchase Merchandise via Steam are made and accepted subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement.

That's why they say "The software". This applies to all purchases via stream.
That's because video games are essentially information, a collection of 1's and 0's. It's the same with most music and films, and many other industries such as lawyering and teaching. When you go into a shop and buy a game, you're paying a little for the tangible disc and packaging, but the bulk of your money is being spent on the right to use the intangible information on the disc.

When you pay for a solicitor, you're not buying the solicitor, you're buying the right to access and utilize his/her knowledge, you don't own the guy, you own the rights to access and use what he/she knows.

Similarly, when you buy a video game (downloaded or on disc), you aren't paying for the ownership of that knowledge, the creators still own it, you're just paying for access to the information, which can be used by your computer to make a game.

It's not unfair in any way, if ownership of the information were to transfer to you when you buy a game, the company would no longer own it and would no longer be able to make their money from it.

Cars and bread etc are different, you're buying a tangible object produced by the company that made it.

Motakikurushi

Jul 22, 2009
Ended up getting Machinarium and Amnesia: Dark Descent, two indie games I really wanted but considered very steeply priced. Got them both at half price and am very happy.

Ivan Torres

Sep 27, 2010
Sixcess said:
I overdid it a little bit...

Aliens vs Predator
Alpha Protocol
ARMA II
Bioshock
Blood Bowl
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
C&C: Tiberium Wars
C&C: Red Alert 3
Crysis
Dead Space
Dragon Age: Origins
Hitman Trilogy
Half Life 2
Indigo Prophecy
Jericho
Just Cause 2
Left 4 Dead
Metro 2033
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
Quake
Quake 2
Velvet Assassin
Zeno Clash

115 quid all in.

I have a lot of catching up to do.
You probably should have gotten the expansions and DLC's for Arma 2 rather than dragon rising. While I haven't played Dragon Rising, I've heard that it's terrible compared to Arma 2, plus it's no longer supported.

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
I bought the Indie Fright pack for $4.99. Which includes:
Zombie Driver
The Void
burn Zombie Burn!
The Path
The Scourge Project ep 1 and 2

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Probably about £100. And the computer I have at the moment can't even play most of them (I bought them with the intention of buying a new computer in the very near future). Damn you Steam and your convenience!

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
I don't really remember the prices exactly but I guesstimate
I got:
-Borderlands w/ Secret Armory of General Knoxx DLC ($15)
-Metro 2033 ($5-$10 I think)
-Portal ($5)
-Super Meat Boy (About $5)

And then I ran out of money but I wanted to get KotOR and Neverwinter Nights 2

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
[spoiler = List be here]Aliens vs Predator
Amnesia : The Dark Descent
The Ball
Battlefield 2
Battlefield Bad Company 2
Bioshock
Brothers in Arm pack
Burn Zombie burn
Bully : Scholorship Edition
CivCity : Rome
Devil May Cry 4
Disciples II : Gold
Dragon Age : Ultimate Edition
F.E.A.R pack
Gothic trilogy
Guild Wars trilogy pack
Hitman pack
Mirrors Edge
The Misadventures of P.B Winterbottom
Mount and Blade : Warband
Neverwinter Nights :platinum
Operation Flashpoint : Dragon Rising
The Path
Prince of Persia : The Sands of Time trilogy
Prince of Persia 2008
The Scourge Project
Civilization V : Complete Collection
Super Meat Boy
Supreme Commander 2
Ghost Recon : Advanced Warfighter 2
Unreal ultimate pack
The Void
World of Goo
Zombie Driver
[/spoiler]

How much did I spend?

Far, far to much...

lolmynamewastaken

Jun 9, 2009
i got Cryostasis for like £3, which keeps lagging out on me so i can't be bothered with it atm, also, i've had enough of snow for a while
Red faction 1 and 2 for £4 each (on sale for £1.99 the NEXT DAY) both of which i missed out on first time round, and am loving this time
Polynomial the space of music, for £1 i think which is really cool if slighty too hypnotising
and Company of Hero for £3 (which came on sale for about £1 a couple of days later ¬¬) which i borrowed a while back and never really played it to death, so now i will.

Ivan Torres

Sep 27, 2010
Chairman Miaow said:
Fawcks said:
Scobie said:
Nothing. I was severely tempted a couple of times, but I've made a resolution not to buy any more games that I don't really, really want. I have more games than I can possibly play as it is. It might not sound like much but believe me, this level of self-control is a milestone for me.
Go you, friend! That kind of resolve is important. As a reward, you get a cookie.

But no regular cookie. This cookie has SURPASSED THE PHYSICAL REALM.

OoooOOooOOOooohh.
This cookie is bullshit. You're LEASING him a cookie. Fucking scam (/sarcasm)
This is one of the most hilarious things I have ever seen. You win one internet.

Thirsk

Jan 18, 2009
Got Freedom Force and it's expansion for 2 dollarez each.

On a sidenote, I love Steam. Haters gonna hate.

Cracktopus

Apr 6, 2010
I only bought Dawn of War 2 Gold. And I am proud of myself for resisting all the good deals D:

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Ivan Torres said:
Sixcess said:
I overdid it a little bit...

Aliens vs Predator
Alpha Protocol
ARMA II
Bioshock
Blood Bowl
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
C&C: Tiberium Wars
C&C: Red Alert 3
Crysis
Dead Space
Dragon Age: Origins
Hitman Trilogy
Half Life 2
Indigo Prophecy
Jericho
Just Cause 2
Left 4 Dead
Metro 2033
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
Quake
Quake 2
Velvet Assassin
Zeno Clash

115 quid all in.

I have a lot of catching up to do.
You probably should have gotten the expansions and DLC's for Arma 2 rather than dragon rising. While I haven't played Dragon Rising, I've heard that it's terrible compared to Arma 2, plus it's no longer supported.
I've read some mixed things about DR, but it showed up on the special offers page the day before ARMA 2, so at worst it'll be interesting to compare them, and at these prices I don't mind if I picked up a few bad games.

KishinZero

Nov 22, 2010
Left 4 Dead 2 ($5)
Portal ($4)
KotOR ($4)
Left 4 Dead ($5)

32 hours of gameplay in two weeks and still not bored. (Priceless)

Diligent

Dec 20, 2009
Chibz said:
lacktheknack said:
Chibz said:
Nothing. Steam is all garbage in that it's a massive scam. Any price for a leased game is too much. Except if they priced it down to $0.01 / game...
I don't get how people can say it's leased. You can back the files up to a disk that doesn't need Steam to run, I'm fairly sure. And even if it does need Steam, you've still got a physical copy that works on any computer. Probably on any account.

I'm gonna go test this out now.
Because it's PC gaming. Pretty much all PC games are leased to you. You buy permission to play the game, not your physical copy. This problem also applies to your physical copies. PC gamers just get rammed in every orifice.

The only PC games I'll EVER buy are abandonware. Simply becaus the EULA has absolutely zero legal weight anymore.

drizztmainsword said:
Chibz said:
I would tend to agree with you, but it's Valve. Valve is like Google to me; they may have a little too much control, but I'm okay with it.
Personally, I'd rather have nobody have that much control over my vidja games. I'd much rather have the legal rights & benefits of actual ownership over being leased my own product.

No other industry can get away with such shenanigans. Why can the computer industry?
You know this applies to ALL video games right? Even consoles and disk copies? I don't see how it's suddenly a scam when its distributed a bit differently.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Ugh...

Super Meat Boy
The Ball (well, technically it was a D2D sale, but same price as it was later in the Steam sale)
Toki Tori
Ghost Recon
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2
Ghost Recon Desert Siege
Ghost Recon Island Thunder
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
Batman Arkham Asylum
F.E.A.R. (this and the below two just to have on Steam for convenience, already own them on disc)
F.E.A.R. Extraction Point
F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate
Lost Planet 2
Singularity
Grand Theft Auto IV
Grand Theft Auto IV Episodes From Liberty City
Mafia II Jimmy's Vendetta
Mafia II Joe's Adventures
Cryostatsis

Total: $101.37, which is a lot more than I wanted to spend.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Chibz said:
The only PC games I'll EVER buy are abandonware. Simply becaus the EULA has absolutely zero legal weight anymore.
Pssst. 1) EULAs aren't legally binding, except (possibly) with MMOs. 2) Abandonware isn't a real term. There is no such thing.

Anyway, on topic: NWN2 Platnum (10), Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (3.60), King Arthur: Role-Playing Wargame - The Saxons (technically it was the complete package... again) (5), Mafia II - All the DLCs (7.50), Empire Total War/Napoleon Total War combo pack (25), Settlers 7 (30), Guardians of Graxia (3.60), Kane and Lynch (10), Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days (10), King's Bounty Crossworlds (10), Borderlands - Claptrap's Robot Revolution (5)

So, roughly 120 bucks.

Bruiser80

Feb 27, 2009
Chibz said:
Because it's PC gaming. Pretty much all PC games are leased to you. You buy permission to play the game, not your physical copy. This problem also applies to your physical copies. PC gamers just get rammed in every orifice.

Personally, I'd rather have nobody have that much control over my vidja games. I'd much rather have the legal rights & benefits of actual ownership over being leased my own product.

No other industry can get away with such shenanigans. Why can the computer industry?
Using that logic, do you not own a XB360 or PS3 because their operating systems can be modified (i.e. PS3 updating its system to prevent Linux)?

I've never read an EULA, and probably won't until a company pulls the rug out from under me. That's pretty bad, I know.

As far as garbage, I mostly play Valve games via Steam, but I do play Dirt2 (got it free w/ my vid card as a steam unlock key), and that runs Games for Windows THROUGH Steam, and I haven't had a problem with it. I could see that other company's DRM on top of Steam's DRM could be a stumbling block...

On topic...
I got the old GTA package: $10 for GTA1 thru San Andreas. I would have gotten the GTA IV complete package if I didn't have it and LATD on the Xbox already.