So.. What's with all the Gamecube Hate?

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Kysafen said:
It was pure nostalgia love. Even if it didn't get the same attention as the PS2 or Xbox, it still was a cornerstone of my childhood.

The days of coming home after school, and playing The Wind Waker, and beating Ocarina of Time for the first time via the Collector's Disc... yeah, one of my favorite consoles, period. Wii, on the other hand....

Captcha:

Do you really expect me to put in the kanji for "Year" at the end?

EDIT: I DID AND IT ACTUALLY WENT THROUGH WHAT THE FUCK
As long as you get at least one word right, it works.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
The Gamecube was a legit gaming system. Here's some off-the-top-of-my-head reasons:

-It had decent third-party support and hosted many of the major third-party releases that the Xbox and PS2 had.
-It was small and extremely easy to transport (unlike the Xbox).
-It was damn near indestructible (unlike the Xbox and PS2).
-It had a slew of great exclusives, including many that took people by surprise (Metroid Prime, Eternal Darkness, Viewtiful Joe, Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil Zero, MGS: The Twin Snakes, Phantasy Star Online Ep.1, 2, and 3))
-It was competitively priced.

-This last one is pretty subjective, but I consider the Gamecube controller to be the most comfortable gaming controller I've ever used. It wouldn't be great for a game that heavily relies on the triggers (like a shooter), but it sits in my hands just perfectly.

I think that a lot of people dismiss the Gamecube because, while it had some innovative games, the hardware didn't really do anything to stand out or innovate in its generation. PS2 doubled as a DVD-player and it was released at a time when DVD was still becoming normalized into every household. Xbox broke ground in mass multilayer gaming for consoles, both in LAN and online.

RevRaptor

Mar 10, 2010
I love my Gamecube. It's a little indestructible brick of pure gaming awesome. I owned a ps2, xbox and gamecube and my gamecube was my favourite of the three. Re4 looked way better than anything on the xbox or ps2.
I also got to play soul calibur 2 on each console and the gamecube version was easily the best of the three.

Pirate1019

Sep 23, 2009
The Gamecube was awesome but it had terrible 3rd party support and came around at a time when being gritty and real was the hip thing to do, both of which are things the Gamecube was most definitely not.

I loved the controller even though it didn't have 4 shoulder buttons for whatever bewildering reason, and it was indeed built like a motherfucking tank. If they had stuffed a little more horsepower into it and maybe upgraded from mini-discs to full DVDs it would have held a lot of the ground it ended up losing to the Xbox and PS2.

Hindsight 20/20, am I right fellas?

Feste the Jester

Jul 10, 2009
As a console itself, I thought it was pretty weak in innovation, particularly when held up to everything the Xbox and PS2 could do. However, the long list of great games on the system more than makes up for that.

Ice Car

Jan 30, 2011
What? People hate the Gamecube? Madness! I rarely hear any crap talk about the console and some of my favorite games came out on it. Tales of Symphonia anyone?

gim73

Jul 17, 2008
Let's rate the nintendo systems, okay?

SNES, NES, Gamecube, Wii, N64

I wouldn't put it down at the bottom, but I would say that it's not the best system for it's time period. That's the PS2 era. Maybe I'm a bit biased as an RPG fan, but that order is by the quality and quantity of RPGs put out on each system.

Now if I had to rate the nintendo systems by the quality of first party titles released, I would definitely put it down at the bottom. Mario and Link both had their weakest games on the Gamecube.

I wouldn't exactly hate the gamecube, but I'd rather play a PS2 or an Xbox during that game generation.

Skoosh

Jun 19, 2009
I really enjoyed my gamecube. I bought one right after I got a PS2. Ended up getting an xbox too. PS2 was my favorite system ever, but gamecube was a lot better than a lot of people said. My lineup has Smash Bros Melee, Resident Evil 4, Killer 7, Tales of Symphonia, Windwaker, and viewtiful Joe. Not nearly as much as on my PS2, but a decent stack of great games.

I can see how a lot of people didn't like it though at the time. It had the weakest graphics of that generation, and it didn't make up for it with innovation or tons of games. A lot of the games were flops, like Mario Sunshine and Kart Double Dash; cult hits, like Killer 7 and Viewtiful Joe; or multiplatform, like Resident Evil 4. I enjoyed it, but I don't argue with people if they didn't.

Louzerman102

Mar 12, 2011
GameCube = made of win because Metroid Prime 1 = made of win. Man, I really need to dust that thing off and play something. Also that whole no DVD or CD thing is a big negative, still Metroid Prime is made of win........ and some Samus. Maybe 50% win and 50% Samus.

metal mustache

Oct 29, 2009
i can only think of 2 reasons people hated it:
1) it looked stupid
2)everyone else bought a ps2 or xbox instead, becoming instant fanboys and trash talking the gamecube

thahat

Apr 23, 2008
Et3rnalLegend64 said:
What? I loved the Gamecube. It had Metroid Prime, Zelda collection (I never did quite finish Majora's Mask), Viewtiful Joe, Smash Bros Melee, and WIND WAKER.

Yeah, the Wii is more innovative as a system, but it's so out there that not many devs could use it in a way that doesn't feel like a gimmick. The system itself was much weaker than the others in the generation and the controller is very non-standard, so Wii ports were almost always inferior to the PS360 versions. Then it got a mountain of shovelware on top. It did have some amazing games (Metroid Prime 3, Mario Galaxy, Okami [yeah, I know it was a PS2 game first], Muramasa, and No More Heroes, among others), but it was kinda killed by how unorthodox the whole thing was. Innovation for the sake of it isn't automatically a good thing.
yaay finaly someone who mentions windwaker XD windwaker is awsome!
and incidentally, a total chick magnet, strangely enough XD. well for gamer girlfriends anyway.

thahat

Apr 23, 2008
Wolfenbarg said:
It was dirt cheap and had plenty of fun games for it. When the Xbox and PS2 were still sitting at ludicrous prices (cheap compared to today), the Gamecube was 100 bucks, and even came with a collector's edition of Zelda. It also had the best opening logo for any system, ever. Sure, it was nothing compared to the juggernaut that was the PS2, but it held its own quite nicely.
plipity bloppity polp DONK. /logo
but the realy cool thing was that if you wanted to go to the settings and stuff you just held A and it spun away seamlessly into the settings. XD

xxmyhero64xx

May 25, 2011
I loved the Gamecube, but it was my first Nintendo console AND console period so I really had nothing to compare it to Nintendo wise. I got my PS2 and Xbox later. Also I got it when I was in the 6th grade so my nostalgia for it is skyrocketing. Regardless of that though I loved the system to death and Harvest Moon is still one of my favorite games to date.

Also! How many other freaking systems do you know of will change their intro when you hold down a fraking button?!

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Madara XIII said:
Slimshad said:
I don't. I absolutely love the Gamecube.

It had

- Viewtiful Joe
- Super Smash Bros. Melee (Better than Brawl)
- Every Legend of Zelda game that was ever on a Console. Yes Twilight Princess was on it
- Mario Kart Double Dash
- RESIDENT EVIL 4!
You forgot two Master Pieces

Metroid Prime 1 and 2

Also, The Gamecube was either made of dark matter or the same material used to make MJOLNIR armor.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Terminate421 said:
Madara XIII said:
Slimshad said:

It had

- Viewtiful Joe
- Every Legend of Zelda game that was ever on a Console. Yes Twilight Princess was on it
- Mario Kart Double Dash
- RESIDENT EVIL 4!
You forgot two Master Pieces

Metroid Prime 1 and 2

Also, The Gamecube was either made of dark matter or the same material used to make MJOLNIR armor.
Yeah I should named those. I Absolutely loved Metroid Prime 1. It gave such an adventurous feel to Samus and brought about some scary moments...(F*CK THE CHOZO GHOSTS)

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
BEST CONTROLLER EVER, except for maybe the Xbox 360 controller. It's hard to decide between the 360's 11 buttons, 2 sticks, and a joypad and the wacky button layout of the 'cube's; they still have stupendous handing (and Nintendo's not keeping that in mind with WiiU).

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Madara XIII said:
Slimshad said:

It had

- Viewtiful Joe
- Mario Kart Double Dash
- RESIDENT EVIL 4!
Agreed. Especially on Super Smash Bros. I've probably played that 10 times more than Brawl.

OT: I always thought the GameCube was a good console, it was a tragedy speaking income for Nintendo or overall public popularity, but it houses some of my favourite games of all time. It could probably have had more storage on the discs, but that's really my only complaint. I liked how it was compact and robust.
I'm just glad the Wii got backward compatibility with GC, and I hope wiiU's backward compatibility supports GameCube games too.