So, will you be participating in "Ceasefire friday"?

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I don't have any shooter games with me since I'm currently in the mountains on a ski trip and I don't have any shooters on my laptop. However, now that I have learned of this, I will make sure to go to the shitty arcade in the grocery store nearby on Friday and play some random hunting game (WITH REAL PLASTIC GUNS!!!!!1).

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
Iwata said:
The amount of gamers who see fit to belittle other gamers who are doing nothing but showing respect in their own way is more than sad. It's disappointing. I thought we were better than this. I never expected this initiative to garner much support. But neither did I expect to see other gamers going "LOLNO and anyone who does it is stupid".
Having a video game cease fire because the tragedy of the week in the Western World happened to involve children is disgusting. Much, much worse happens weekly, if not daily, but nobody fucking cares unless it happens in a Western country. The number of idiots that are acting like this is such an awesome touching thing is ridiculous. The sheer amount of gall needed to use a tragedy to boost your own fucking ego by having a "cease fire" and patting yourself on the back for it is astounding.

pat34us

Sep 18, 2010
NightowlM said:
pat34us said:
NightowlM said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
What I don't understand is why so many people are openly hostile against this thing! We all know there isn't any correlation between the shooting and video games. There are just some people among the gaming community who chose to show respect to the victims, survivors, etc by not playing shooting games that day. Why should that incur so much wrath from the people who chose to play shooters that day anyway?! It's obvious that the no-fire day or whatever it's called isn't going to DO anything, it's not MEANT to do anything! It's just a sign of respect and it's one that I will be participating in.
Here's the thing though. It's possible to show respect for the victims of the massacre without doing something incredibly silly like this.
As I posted a few posts ago, the official approved time for morning is from 9:30 - 9:35

Don't play any games for those five minutes and you can be free and clear of any and all guilt.
Why act all self-righteous and assume that all gamers are just talking crap about this event because they are amoral, immature douchebags. I'm certainly not that, and I think I can reasonably assume that there are other compassionate, sensitive gamers that nonetheless think this "ceasefire" thing is silly.
You misunderstood, I agreed with your point by making two points.

1) Why are we going so far above the rest of the public (5 mins vs 24 hours)?
2) Why do they feel that 5 mins is sufficient (and they picked work hours to boot)?

If we go so far above what is acceptable (5 mins vs 24 hours) we are pretty much admitting that games may have had something to do with it.

So I propose we scale back and refrain from gaming for a whole 5 mins (from 9:30 - 9:35)

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
better idea. get everyone in CoD to stop shooting eachother for a day. Just load into games, and run around, hugging people

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
I will be playing whatever shooter my mouse hovers over first when I get home from work (21st here already)
Probably ArmA 2, because a military sim that militaries use is probably as opposite an effect as the guy wants, oh and its the game I most play :)

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Iwata said:
The amount of gamers who see fit to belittle other gamers who are doing nothing but showing respect in their own way is more than sad. It's disappointing. I thought we were better than this. I never expected this initiative to garner much support. But neither did I expect to see other gamers going "LOLNO and anyone who does it is stupid".
Gotta agree. It's definitely a different reaction than I expected too. Honestly, I find it rather sad that there needed to be a "movement" at all in this case. I don't know about anyone else (well, actually, thanks to this thread I guess I do... ), but I haven't really felt like playing shooters for a while now. The events of the other day just sort of put an exclamation point on it. I fail to see how feeling this way and sharing it makes me implicit in the shaming and blaming of videogames as "murder simulators" or whatever they're being called this week.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Hey, you want to decry shooters? Play the awesomely fantastic supercool Spec Ops: THE LINE from Yaeger development instead.

Hate the worst part of shooters whilst playing the most mindfuckingly awesome game of 2012.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
wintercoat said:
Iwata said:
Having a video game cease fire because the tragedy of the week in the Western World happened to involve children is disgusting. Much, much worse happens weekly, if not daily, but nobody fucking cares unless it happens in a Western country. The number of idiots that are acting like this is such an awesome touching thing is ridiculous. The sheer amount of gall needed to use a tragedy to boost your own fucking ego by having a "cease fire" and patting yourself on the back for it is astounding.
You're operating under the wrong impression that people are doing it so they feel better about themselves. I don't know about other people, but the reason I'm doing it is personal. I'm not flaunting it. I'm not "patting myself on the back" for it, either. I just want to do it, because I feel that I should.

For some reason, that makes me "an idiot" and a terrible person, as opposed to you, who are merely, kindly alerting us all to our clear wrongdoing. Go figure.

Edit: By the way, about "not caring unless it happens in a Western country"... I've worked for AMI. I donate all my unused clothing. I've volunteered at minority centres and taught gypsy and African children how to read and do math. I've worked at under-privileged boarding schools helping orphans with their studies. And I donate to Child's Play. NOW I'm flaunting. Because we're not all what you think we are. And I will allow myself this little moment, despite how moronic you think it may be.

AlbertoDeSanta

Sep 19, 2012
If this thing is just out of respect, then shouldn't we just go accross the board and not watch any films that involve the shooting of weaponry or the reading of fiction with weaponry? Well... That's where it's hypocritical. Wherever this "No shooter friday" idea came from is absolutely hypocritical. Showing respect for the children? Easy. Just take a moment to lament on their passing. Really simple.

To anyone actually doing this, I mean no disrespect, I just don't like the idea due to it's hypocrisy.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
I probably will, since I don't play many shooters. Though it really depends on the Steam sale since I was tempted to pick on up just to round out my library, it's always good to have a different selection.

BoredAussieGamer

Aug 7, 2011
But, but I just got the Hitman series...

Fuck it. I'm not going to let this Ceasefire that will ultimately be twisted against us.

Actually, why the fuck are the media not receiving some massive flack over their coverage of shootings? I'm pretty sure they're the ones who contribute the most to shootings.

Corran006

May 20, 2009
No, how about looking at real guns that do the killing not some pretend things in a computer. also how about making mental health better.

megamegaman247

Oct 22, 2012
i understand the point but at the same time dont. It makes sense that yes some games can cause you to think differently, but not really. I have played lots a games and lots of violent games and have never had the thought to hurt some physicly

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
not deliberately. i actually hadn't planned on it, but i ending up finishing doom 3 today, so i'll be taking a little break anyway. it's just a coincidence though.

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
I propose a commence fire monday where anybody contemplating a murderous rampage instead stays home and plays a first person shooter.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Sounds fairly pointless to me.

The last thing the actual families of victims will care about right now is what sort of games people are playing. The people who blame games for this won't pay attention, and as for everyone else, why would it matter?

I won't go out of my way to rebel against it, after all, this was an idea set up by gamers who thought, for whatever reason, that the ceasefire would be a nice way to show respect, so despite the fact that I don't agree that it is, I've got no reason to fight back against it, but if I feel like playing a shooter, well, I will.

maidenm

Jul 3, 2012
I don't like this idea, and here's why:

If I can show "awereness" or "support" towards the victims and loved ones of a tragedy by sleeping through the day I think it's a bad idea.

Seriously, I woke up late today and I'm already halfway through compleating this act of compassion. No, if I should show my respect and kindness it should be through something that requires me to do something, not by refraining to do something. This is why I'm in favour of turning off the light in a unoccupied room and not leaving appliances on all the time rather than turning everything off once a year during earth-hour.