So, will you be participating in "Ceasefire friday"?

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
I didn't have any plans to play any video games tomorrow anyway (yay spending time with family), so I guess you could say I'm reluctantly participating.

In the future, I wish events like this could give me a week's notice, so I can plan out my boycotts accordingly.

pat34us

Sep 18, 2010
Why are we taking the entire day off when everyone else is only taking five minutes?

http://www.businessinsider.com/sandy-hook-internet-moment-of-silence-2012-12

For the record I was on board.

kyuzo3567

Jan 31, 2011
ResonanceSD said:
So the rationale is this.

Games were blamed for the Newtown massacre.
Therefore, I won't play any shooters on Friday because of the obvious rule that correlation = causation that we all know is correct.
Many gamers are doing this. That's fine, I can't stop them.
However, why would you do this? isn't it a tacit admission that we think games are a problem?
This Friday, I'll be playing the goriest game I can find, and then continuing my life as a perfectly well adjusted human being with no intent to murder.
I just wanted to quote you to state that as a Psych Major hearing people say "correlation=causation" and seriously mean it makes my brain cells die.. I know you used it sarcastically but I just wanted to say that again.

OT: I am definitely doing a 24 hour marathon of Saints Row 3 starting tomorrow morning

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
kyuzo3567 said:
I just wanted to quote you to state that as a Psych Major hearing people say "correlation=causation" and seriously mean it makes my brain cells die.. I know you used it sarcastically but I just wanted to say that again.

OT: I am definitely doing a 24 hour marathon of Saints Row 3 starting tomorrow morning

As a Marketing Graduate working in Advertising, I'd just like you to know precisely how happy it makes me to be able to successfully play with the head of a Psych major.

pat34us

Sep 18, 2010
NightowlM said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
What I don't understand is why so many people are openly hostile against this thing! We all know there isn't any correlation between the shooting and video games. There are just some people among the gaming community who chose to show respect to the victims, survivors, etc by not playing shooting games that day. Why should that incur so much wrath from the people who chose to play shooters that day anyway?! It's obvious that the no-fire day or whatever it's called isn't going to DO anything, it's not MEANT to do anything! It's just a sign of respect and it's one that I will be participating in.
Here's the thing though. It's possible to show respect for the victims of the massacre without doing something incredibly silly like this.
As I posted a few posts ago, the official approved time for morning is from 9:30 - 9:35

Don't play any games for those five minutes and you can be free and clear of any and all guilt.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Probably, but only by co-incidence. I'm bored of shooters ATM, and so today I'll probably play some Cruiser Command, watch some anime, and if ya'll are lucky get on Planetside 2, though that seems doubtful.
But yeah, this is stupid IMO. There is no reason to stop playing shooter games today simply because some kids got shot. If you want to show respect, go down to your church and pray for them for a bit, then head home and go on with your life. Not playing a certain type of game for a day is lazy IMO, considering its not all games and its barely related to the incident anyway.

Pscyon

Mar 9, 2009
Care little for what happens in USA, what their politicians think and what their media chooses to blame. So I will probably enjoy a Left 4 Dead(2) game or three. Me playing, or not playing, a shooter will in no way affect anyone in the past, present or future regardless. Want to prevent more of these things from happening? Keep guns outta the hands of people who shouldn't have them. Gun safes/cabinets exist for a reason; make them just as obtainable and lower priced than the guns, then use them. Certainly won't stop every nutjob, but would be several steps in the right direction.

TBman

Oct 31, 2008
I don't believe video games make people violent, but whenever a mass shooting like this happens I feel a little guilty playing an fps.

dessertmonkeyjk

Nov 5, 2010
I don't know about you but I'm up to popping some HL2 zombies with a magnum. I don't think the dead would mind.

Okay, fine. Does it have to be a game with no projectiles of any sort? There goes the Fire Flower from Super Mario Bros.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
The amount of gamers who see fit to belittle other gamers who are doing nothing but showing respect in their own way is more than sad. It's disappointing. I thought we were better than this. I never expected this initiative to garner much support. But neither did I expect to see other gamers going "LOLNO and anyone who does it is stupid".

NinjaSocks333

Jul 13, 2012
Good lord. You realize that by doing this we are accepting the idea that video games caused the tragedy, of which their is NO proof only wild speculation and outright lies, like there is whenever one of these bloody things happen. Where is that "officially a bad idea" seal the escapist uses, cause i really need that right now.

kyuzo3567

Jan 31, 2011
ResonanceSD said:
kyuzo3567 said:

As a Marketing Graduate working in Advertising, I'd just like you to know precisely how happy it makes me to be able to successfully play with the head of a Psych major.
Touche good sir... touche indeed

Ahh screw it, I'm starting my marathon now and I'll just play through all of tomorrow while the world ends...

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Well, it's time to bust out Stranger's Wrath HD. It's about time I had practice with my animal-shooting-crossbow styled murder simulator that actually gives you more cash for bring in bounties alive, I could use the training.

Auron

Mar 28, 2009
Your american media is very funny, basically we're all mass murder waiting to happen?