So, will you be participating in "Ceasefire friday"?

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
I will because I don't play shooters on PC and my xbox is at my mums. But come next week, I will be back to playing CoD and going on my annual killing spree. CoD shows that its fine to kill people right?

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
If you want to make a gesture of support make a donation to your preferred charity. I would suggest Child's Play [http://www.childsplaycharity.org/]. The State of Connecticut web site recommends the Newtown branch of United Ways [https://newtown.uwwesternct.org/].

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
well, i've been playing Assassin's creed all day and the 21st is almost over for me here in Oz, lots of stabbing people.

I showed respect for those who died by having a minute of silence, like they do on Rememberance Day.

Captcha: om nom nom... with my chicken caesar salad in hand it certainly is captcha

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
Nope i'm gonna play hotline miami and use only guns compared to my usual appetite for melee weapons.

Also i'm not supporting a cease fire as it just adds more fuel to the medias fire of HURRRRRRR GAMES ARE TO BLAME no they are not. so i am not taking part in this cease fire which acknowledges and helps the media think they are right, fuck that.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Waaghpowa said:
No, to me this is a kind of lazy mans activism. It's like Movember. Yes, I get that it's supposed to raise awareness for colon cancer or something, but it doesn't actually do anything. We all know what it is and that we're trying to find a cure, but what the fuck is growing your beard actually going to do? Nothing.

If you want to make a difference, actually do something about it. Don't sit back and grow your beard and pat yourself on the back, because you've accomplished nothing aside from make yourself look like a douche.

The same goes for this cease fire. Telling people to not play games with guns wont change a damn thing, aside from bore people for a day. Or, in the case of this thread, cause people to be spiteful.
The idea behind Movember is that you get your family and colleagues to sponsor your silly moustache, and you then donate the money to the cancer charity. They actually raise a fair bit of cash this way, but the fact that not everybody's aware of the fundraising bit shows there's evidently still work to be done! This "online ceasefire" however, I can't see any direct benefit to.

Smeatza

Dec 12, 2011
wintercoat said:
Having a video game cease fire because the tragedy of the week in the Western World happened to involve children is disgusting. Much, much worse happens weekly, if not daily, but nobody fucking cares unless it happens in a Western country. The number of idiots that are acting like this is such an awesome touching thing is ridiculous. The sheer amount of gall needed to use a tragedy to boost your own fucking ego by having a "cease fire" and patting yourself on the back for it is astounding.
Agreed
This is not a group of people trying to be respectful it is a group of people who are saying
"LOOK AT ME, LOOK HOW NICE I AM, AREN'T I A GOOD PERSON? ACKNOWLEDGE THAT I AM A GOOD PERSON"

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Batou667 said:
The idea behind Movember is that you get your family and colleagues to sponsor your silly moustache, and you then donate the money to the cancer charity. They actually raise a fair bit of cash this way, but the fact that not everybody's aware of the fundraising bit shows there's evidently still work to be done! This "online ceasefire" however, I can't see any direct benefit to.
My experience with Movember has always been people using it as an excuse to not shave for a month. It would seem to me that they're fully aware of the fundraising involved, but don't do it. Instead they do it "in the spirit of" and thus makes them feel good about doing a good thing as I described. I can use the same example for just about any cancer or disease awareness. The best way to do any of those things is to actually do something, such as making direct donations to the cause, and forget about the stupid little games.

mrjoe94

Sep 28, 2009
I actually forgot about this. I already "broke" the rules by playing excessive amounts of Saints Row The Third this morning.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
No thanks.

I plan full well to play some Borderlands 2 tonight. I'm also well full and tired of hearing about that damn school shooting. Overexposure tends to do that, you know.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
It's the 21st and I haven't played any shooters, but not intentionally to participate in this 'laying down of arms'. I just forget about it already. Not the shooting, the 'movement' to not play shooters today. I crochet. Maybe I should have put down my crochet hook for today, since that would make just as much sense. I'm not trying to make light of the tragedy, just the idea of this 'no shooters day'.

For some reason, it just seems like some sort of admission of guilt. That everyone who plays shooters should somehow feel guilty or be made to feel like their hobby and the death of these children are very closely connected. It just doesn't make sense, to me anyway. Maybe it makes perfect sense to someone else, but not to this person.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
SO during the NRA speech where games and movies got blamed, 4 more people died in a shooting in the US.

That was probably the fault of Dishonored, or something.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Hell no. If anything offends me, its all this fake empathy from all these people. People with their fake tears that go back to their own lives 5 minutes later. Most of you (not The Escapist posters in general)don't give a fuck about those kids and just try to put up a front to make you look better then the cold heartless greedy bastards you really are (once again this is just a general statement not directed towards any one person in particular).

Rinshan Kaihou

Dec 3, 2009
Nope because double/triple experience in Planetside 2 right now. So uh, no. Will be killing lots of things later today.

Aug 1, 2010
Absolutely.

We as gamers need to stand up and show we have a voice in this.

I will proudly put down my shooters and stand with the other activists to make this a momentous occasion!

......And the fact that Skyrim has an awesome DLC I haven't finished has NOTHING to do with it. Nothing at all. No effect on matters whatsoever. I'm totally cereal.

songnar

Modulator
Oct 26, 2008
Well, I suppose I still haven't played through Duke Nukem Forever.

That way, I'm playing a shooter but I'm not enjoying it!

Jun 13, 2009
I ended up taking part but it wasn't voluntary...My internet is just shit and I didn't manage to download my discounted purchase of Borderlands 2 in time to actually play it today.