So Windows 8, who's using it?

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
The most you've probably heard about Win8 is the new "Metro UI" thing that, quite frankly is designed for a touch screen interface. You've probably heard plenty of people grouse about it and condemn it and declare they'll stick with XP/Vista/7 in protest because "a desktop isn't a tablet" or "I don't want to use a touch screen." While I can certainly agree with those sentiments (I absolutely loathe touch screens, especially the one on my dad's phone).... I have to say, Win 8 is pretty damn nice.

While Metro can't be disabled, it is easily dismissed and doing so brings you back to the familiar desktop interface. In fact, aside from logging on and turning off and a few settings you might use once in a while, you really don't have to interact with Metro at all. Also, contrary to what you've probably heard, actually using Metro is pretty smooth and intuitive. It's not touch-screen dependent and navigating it with a mouse is no more difficult than navigating the start menu.

The other thing you might notice is the venerable Start button--or rather, the lack thereof. Replacing it is an auto-hiding Start "flag" in the lower left corner. Clicking it takes you back to Metro, where a similar flag showing your desktop takes its place, to provide a quick route back (aside from the big giant Desktop tile in the Metro menu). The Metro UI is little more than a full-screen start menu. It starts showing you your most used programs, [http://webbstuff.net/evilneko/screenshot_050.png] and if you right-click and click All Apps, it'll expand to the full menu.

For those that would like to have their Start Menu back, don't worry, a workaround is available. Simply add a custom toolbar to your taskbar, and point it at the folder that contains the Start Menu--it's actually in the same place as it was in previous versions. To do this, right click your taskbar, and under the Toolbars menu select New Toolbar. You can also roll your own by just making a folder and filling it with shortcuts to whatever programs you want on it.

Other than that, it's much like Windows 7, only with convenient shortcuts and less annoyances (8 tends to remember things like "sort by type" when I tell it, 7 kept insisting on sorting by name and changing the display of folders based on their contents). For example, right-clicking the Start Flag produces a menu with lots of common administrative tools on it, [http://webbstuff.net/evilneko/screenshot_051.png] such as computer management, control panel, task manager, etc. Tools also show up in the Windows Explorer interface, depending on what's highlighted.

Performance-wise, well, it's hard to say. It's definitely not sluggish like Vista was, that's for sure. Is it faster than XP? Not sure about that. Day-to-day use is pretty snappy, but it's hard to say if it's quicker or not. And I don't game on my laptop unless I don't have a choice, so no help there. Previously, my laptop ran 32-bit XP. My desktop runs XP64.

The only disappointment I've come across, in fact, is that my video capture device doesn't work in 8, and I use it almost every day to record news shows for my dad. So, unfortunately, no 8 for my desktop, yet.

All in all it's probably the least annoying Windows yet. Coming from a diehard 2k fan and grudging XP user like myself, that's some high praise. Also, I've had 8 on my laptop for over a week now--far longer than I had 7 on either of my computers.

Microsoft is offering upgrades to 8 on the cheap [http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2012/07/02/upgrade-to-windows-8-pro-for-39-99.aspx]. $40 for someone upgrading from XP, Vista, or 7. Pretty generous of them to include XP users in the deal. I'm probably going to be taking them up on it, once I get working drivers for or replace my capture device.

If you want to try 8, you can grab it here. [http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/download]

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
I had no idea Windows 8 was even out. I thought it was still years away.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Scrustle said:
I had no idea Windows 8 was even out. I thought it was still years away.
The demo ("consumer edition") is and the final version of the demo is coming out soon. I expect Win 8 to come out late this year or mid 2013

OT:Nope, I going to stick with Win7 for as long as I have too. I am now officially declaring to boycott like XP users are.

MasterMasamune

May 3, 2012
It seems more suited for tablets and smartphones, neither of which I regularly use. Since I use a laptop and 7 works fine for me (aside from crashing if I try to play a video that's been paused for a while on Youtube or a similar site), I won't be upgrading to 8 anytime soon.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Windows 8? I'm still stuck with an XP computer...
Damn am I behind on this technology thing...

Sevvrim

May 14, 2012
I'll probably be sticking with Win7 for the time being. It works fine, and I don't find it absolutely necessary to get an upgrade any time soon.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I'm sticking to windows 7 for the time being. It works perfectly well for me, I have yet to have any problems with it, and I really don't like the look of 8's interface.

Supernova1138

Oct 24, 2011
Tried it in a Virtual Machine, hated Metro, found most of the ways around the crappy user interface. Windows 8 is useable, but everything is much more inconvenient and annoying IMO if you don't have a touchscreen. This is just a blatant attempt to copy Apple because somebody decided Apple was cool for some reason, and try to force a walled garden philosophy onto the Windows desktop, so Microsoft can pull in more money from their cut from the App Store.

Aside from a few under the hood improvements that aren't really relevant in the grander scheme of things right now, and the crappy UI, there is no difference Windows 8 and Windows 7. As such I have absolutely no incentive to upgrade. In fact, maybe I should start hoarding Windows 7 keys now, while I still can.

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
Why "upgrade" to Metro/8 for 40 bucks, when you could really upgrade with a Linux box, for free! ;)

*Cough* All kidding aside, if the consumer demo is out, I'll have to boot it up in a virtual machine and test it out.

All things considered, the interface seems alright for a phone.

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
I've found I'm better off skipping generations of OS's. Microsoft seems to get their act together on every OTHER release.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
I'll be sticking with windows 7. It works well for me and I don't see any reason to upgrade anytime soon. Depending on how well my laptop lasts I don't see me upgrading to Windows 8 anytime soon. I generally update my OS when I upgrade my hardware.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
TopazFusion said:
I'm still a bit miffed that they did away with Aero (transparent glass effects, etc)

I like my eye candy dammit!
... well, I guess I'm sticking with Windows 7 for the time being then. Such a little thing, sure, but the UI really looks garish when Aero is off. Didn't even know the demo was out, to be honest.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Except for the fact that your desktop is basically an app like all the other apps in the metro interface.

I honestly can't see pushing a touch screen going well. I know that's the way of the future but touch screen are still rare for your average computer owner and a company needs to consider what people have and how much they are willing to spend to move to new tech. I don't know how this will go over for windows. They have so much power they might be able to steam roll it into people's homes but there is going to be lots of grumbling.

shrekfan246

May 26, 2011
TopazFusion said:
Yeah, I agree.

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-release-preview-rip-aero-20032012-143133

Because 8 is targeted at low-spec devices, they decided to remove Aero (it was too demanding on the hardware apparently, and drained the batteries too quickly)

Still doesn't explain why they couldn't have left it in, and just disabled it by default or something.
Wait, is that blocky, cluttered nightmare really what the Windows 8 UI looks like, or have they changed/are they going to change it at all? Dear lord. I don't even hardly ever unplug my laptop, anyway (But it only has about two hours of battery life at the best of times, anyway, 'cause the thing is a power hog). Not to mention the countless desktop users, like that article mentions at the end.

What's with large companies and completely disconnecting what they make from what their customers actually ask for?

Yal

We are a rattlesnake
Dec 22, 2010
I'm sure I will get used to 8, I don't have any choice but to use it some extent, but I'm not in any hurry to migrate over my primary desktops. I really miss the Win 7 start menu, I do a lot of remote desktop stuff where the mouse is laggy, and they've completely changed keyboard navigation. I'm making do, watching me work would probably make a Microsoft UI designer cry, I'm more likely to leave a command prompt window open on the desktop and launch apps from that, rather than switch over to Metro.

Pretty stoked for Surface though. I love the idea of an x86 tablet running a proper version of Windows. I hope they do it right.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Ugh I hate the way technology going (including phones) I hate touch screens. Seriously was there anything wrong with a good old responsive button?

sounds like they changed a lot. The loss of the Start button is a tad alarming.

I've never been the guy to switch operating systems, I just buy a new computer every decade so seeing this coming down the line this fast is rather shocking. I thought Windows 7 would of lasted till at least 2015 with the way some of my more technically inclined friends praised it over Vista.

shrekfan246

May 26, 2011
TopazFusion said:
It looks like it's been improved a bit since that article, but yeah, it seems square corners are back in now.
My entire body is now twitching uncontrollably.
[sub]Square corners should have never been "in" in the first place.[/sub]

I'm assuming all of those shortcuts and things cluttering the top of the "Libraries/Sample Music" panel in the center of that screenshot can be customized? Everything else (except those stupid squares, UGH!) I could eventually get used to 'cause it's not really all that different from 7, but that's just so... ugly.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
I'll stick with 7 thank you, all the screens I've seen for it are just ugly. I love 7, it feels like the update to Win XP that Vista should have been. I've a feeling I'll be hanging on to it just as long as I did XP.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I still need to upgrade to 7. Vista is terrible and getting worse as it ages. I'm just waiting to get a new everything to upgrade because it's not worth buying a new OS if the hardware is old and slow already.

Rule Britannia

Apr 20, 2011
I downloaded the developer preview a while back; you're right, metro is smooth and good to look at but when you take that away it's just windows 7 really.

I'm sticking with windows 7 for now, who knows, I might get a Mac.