So Windows 8, who's using it?

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
I'll buy it when/if it gets fixed... or the next release depending on which one comes first.

maxmanrules

Mar 30, 2011
MasterMasamune said:
It seems more suited for tablets and smartphones, neither of which I regularly use. Since I use a laptop and 7 works fine for me (aside from crashing if I try to play a video that's been paused for a while on Youtube or a similar site), I won't be upgrading to 8 anytime soon.
That doesn't sound strictly like a win 7 problem, more something to do with flash and/or your browser. Dunno if you've tried troubleshooting or anything though, so it may well be win 7.

culpeo

Nov 11, 2011
My desktop runs the venerable WinXP Pro x64 and has remained very stable over countless upgrades and hardware configurations. My concern, however, is its slow, but inevitable abandonment by software developers. Also, history has demonstrated Microsoft's proclivity for vastly improving upon drastic changes to their OS in the release following the one in which those changes were made (as Win7 did with Vista). By that logic, Windows 9 should be the one to wait for. But for XPers like myself, that may be a bridge too far. And I'm not really interested in using Windows 7 as a stopgap.

Then again, if Windows 8 is to be priced as aggressively as they say, that alone may be enough for me to hasten my decision.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
evilneko said:
Twilight_guy said:
Except for the fact that your desktop is basically an app like all the other apps in the metro interface.
Maybe it is. However, the effect is the same, even if "Desktop" is a glorified Metro app, it works exactly the same as a normal desktop. You really don't have to interact with Metro at all.
Maybe. I found it difficult to do things without going through the metro side though. It always felt as if the desktop had no real power and I was constantly going to the metro section to do anything. Maybe I just didn't play with it enough. There's defiantly a shift away from the desktop interface though.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
I'm running it - virtualized, so far - on both desktop and notebook computers in my own spare time, and I am not looking forward to seeing this one out in the wild.

Not a fan.

As with the latest offering of Microsoft Office, it seems to do some things right, and others are just so in your face wrong they need to be hacked/fixed/worked around to be of any use, and that's not the way I want to roll on my personal machines, let alone on a corporate scale.

The 'social' features of Office have been the bane of our productivity, as the functionality they offer is obviously aimed at the whole 'social' bit that, in the end, wasn't worth the hassle, the slow-downs, the confusion or the fact it clearly clashes with, say, imposed non-usage of 'social' networks on office infrastructure.

Same with the Metro UI - it's mind-numbingly inefficient, confusing and obsolete from the get-go. Sure, I can make it work for me in some ways, but that actually requires WORK, as in time and attention put into it. It's pretty much fine if I am free to tinker around with it in my own free time, but when it comes to keeping productivity high, as in not confusing your average end user, it's pretty nasty.

We haven't been able to assess the secure boot 'feature' yet, but as with Me and Vista, Windows 8 should be gladly passed around here. Don't get me wrong - some of the new and improved features really are nice, but the absence of the start button really is a nasty one.

Windows 7 offers high reliability with an almost perfect user experience, the subtle new UI tricks it brought with it such as Aero Snap are so cool that, really, everything 'just works'. Under the hood, Windows 7 is a beast on a strong leash. Windows 8 looks a bit like the rose-tinted poofed up poodle in direct comparison, despite the 'flat' UI.

Never change a smoothly running OS has never been so true since XP, so Windows 8 can - in my personal and professional opinion - pretty much throw its Metro in other people's faces, I am very happy with Windows 7 as is. To me, it's not a good sign that Microsoft is seemingly craving the self-imposed totalitarian power Apple holds with its locked-down idiocy, where users aren't even free to update their Java if they find themselves so inclined.

Invoking the Metro interface on non-touch interfaces, such as 99.9% of the productive devices in use, is a huge no-no. Not even the visually-focused graphics folks would want to waste one Wacom nib on Metro, and while a lot of us are looking forward to an Aero- and Glass-less UI experience, it's all pretty much nulled by the idiocy that is Metro. If Metro was standard for touchy-feely fondleslabs, hey, you got yourself a winner! Training the mouse- and trackpad-using consumerist sheeple with an enforced shift in paradigms is, quite honestly, offensive.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
TopazFusion said:
I'm still a bit miffed that they did away with Aero (transparent glass effects, etc)

I like my eye candy dammit!
You still get transparencies, they only did away with the rounded corners and the (silly) glass overlay.

As a dedicated Vista hater, I like the way the UI of the DESKTOP feels. Metro - nah. Metro should be aborted before it kills people.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
octafish said:
I'll be sticking to Windows 7 for my desktop, however I'm running the preview of 8 on my new HTPC and Metro is great for just about everything you could want a HTPC to do. Of course no Start gave me problems when I was setting it up, but now...well I was going to buy Win 7 for my HTPC but I'll be waiting and buying a copy of 8 for it now.
Beware - My Metro/HTPC experience has, so far, been a bumpy and not too pleasant ride. As long as Windows Media Player does everything you need for your media playing fun, you might be... happy, I guess. But something just brushes me the wrong way if if my Win8 machine nags me to log in to my Microsoft account every time I just want it to play a DVD or play me some music LOCALLY.

I also have to say what is absolutely off-putting is the fact that for UI elements to magically appear, you have to hover your little mouse arrow over specific corners/regions of the screen - when it takes three or more attempts to bring up the navigation/settings UI elements, I really don't know how I could generate much love for Metro and the murder of the Start button.

What they are trying to do is obviously total control over your machine and your software (programs/"apps", media), adding the OS-dependent marketplace to it. Oh, and then there's that other stuff... when you want to play an online video, there's a button that let's you watch it on XBOX... I still can't follow this one entirely. If I want to watch a video on an XBOX or a phone or any other device, I usually don't fire it up on the PC.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
No thanks. I don't want my DESKTOP PC to become a tablet and I don't want a cluttered Metro UI appearing every time I turn it on. No dedicated start button, no disabling metro by default, no chance I'm even touching this. Not to mention the microsoft "app" store. I have executable programs, I don't need some app unless Microsoft is planning on offering more integrated OS support WITHOUT compromising third-party software.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Metro can be averted?
There's the problem. I need to find out how to avoid it, and implement that, as well as re-installing everything.
I don't mind some of the things 8 has done. Networking in Windows has FINALLY seen an improvement, but I don't find the rest of 8 worth that.

Metro is seriously annoying, and it is more practical for me not to waste money buying 8, and to just stick with 7 where I don't have to screw around with settings to get something I like.

The problem with Metro is that it is annoying to navigate with a mouse if you've got as many programs as I do on my desktop. Higher resolution I have [2560*1440] helps fit more on screen, but I still need to scroll sideways for a bit to actually get to the stuff I want to use. Current Desktop everything fits in fine, if barely. The layout and size of the Metro Icons however causes problems for me.

In addition, the whole UI is a lot less intuitive for keyboard use compared to the default windows UI, at least IMO. Maybe I haven't played around with it enough, but it feels like I'm trying to use my Ipod with a keyboard and no touch screen, and that is something I'd rather steer clear from.

If they add in a fully functional interface and desktop that is pretty much the same as Windows 7, and give you the option on which one you'd like to use when you first load it up, then I might think about it. Otherwise... Its not worth the wasted time and effort.

WTH captcha? You're asking me questions now? And I have to pick an answer?
These things are getting more intelligent I tell you. They're a day away from Skynet I'm sure!

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I won't be in any hurry to get Windows 8, since I don't feel I've had 7 for long enough to justify an upgrade, but the price is definitely right. Maybe in a year or so?

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
7's quite perfect for me now and as far as I'm concerned 8 isn't worth the hassle.

The UI seems bothersome, the lack of a start button makes very little sense given the past 20 years of its existence, and I have no strong desire to go through driver/program/game compatibility issues yet again for little to no benefit.

I've used every iteration of the OS so far and 7's, by far, been the best in terms of reliability and features (needless little gimmicks aside).

I might wind up trying it a good half way through its cycle, purely in the interest of remaining "modern" in my basic tech usage, but even that's not looking like it'll happen this time around.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Im loving it, Im a pretty big fan of the Metro UI too. I have the Metro interface on my phone as well and of course used to it on the 360 so it'll be nice to have it full time on my PC and laptop.

I think its a nice innovative change, and Im sure it will set a good standard but I'll be holding off running it on my main kit till at least the start of the new year. I recall when 7 first came out and the numerous problems I had waiting for stable drivers.

Its also very tempting to spring for a touchscreen monitor in the new year to really take advantage of the interface... Im hoping that on release however we can start applying themes like we have on the 360, that'd be kind of cool.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Ill probably give it a shot assuming I can get it though school, at least so I'm familiar with the os. From what I've seen of it so far I really don't like the whole metro thing, looks too much like the xbox interface which I wasn't fond of.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Windows 8 is the new Vista, I'll wait for them to fix all the shit with Windows 9.

Microsoft are trying to get in on Apple's 'computing for idiots' market and it's not going to go down well with industry professionals.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
mad825 said:
Scrustle said:
I had no idea Windows 8 was even out. I thought it was still years away.
The demo ("consumer edition") is and the final version of the demo is coming out soon. I expect Win 8 to come out late this year or mid 2013

OT:Nope, I going to stick with Win7 for as long as I have too. I am now officially declaring to boycott like XP users are.
Final release comes out at the end of the year. The current versions are essentially Beta tests or the free version could compare to a "Lite" OS.

It's designed for touch screens primarily, and other user-friendly devises too. The start-button on this layout restores you to the classic Windows 7 OS-styled layout, where you could forget you even have Windows 8. You can return to the more user-friendly screen at any time.

In other words, if you have a desktop with a mouse and keyboard, it's near-pointless to get Windows 8, but it's great for handheld devices, touch screens and the likes.

Think Xbox 360 Dashboard window panels but better, duelled with an "upgraded" Windows 7 desktop.