So Windows 8, who's using it?

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
I wont be touching it. Everything from the tablet & touch screen priority right down to it referring to its software as "apps". It might well be petty but that term just annoys the hell out of me. Start menu only available via a workaround? No thanks.

They should stick to what they know. Style isn't a substitute for function.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
I have Windows 8 on my second PC and to be honest I hate it.

This mostly boils down to the Metro UI, I find it horrible to use with a keyboard and mouse. I can see how it'd be useful for touch-screen users but it is just an inconvenience for me.

Other than that it is just like Windows 7 and I didn't like that either.

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
I'll be waiting for the "Windows WE'RE SORRY WE'RE SORRY WE'RE SORRY WE'RE SORRY WE'RE SORRY WE'RE SORRY WE'RE SORRY WE'RE SORRY WE'RE SORRY WE'RE SORRY" to come out shortly afterwards.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
teqrevisited said:
I wont be touching it. Everything from the tablet & touch screen priority right down to it referring to its software as "apps". It might well be petty but that term just annoys the hell out of me. Start menu only available via a workaround? No thanks.

They should stick to what they know. Style isn't a substitute for function.
Y'know, the term predates its use with smartphones.

votemarvel said:
I have Windows 8 on my second PC and to be honest I hate it.

This mostly boils down to the Metro UI, I find it horrible to use with a keyboard and mouse. I can see how it'd be useful for touch-screen users but it is just an inconvenience for me.

Other than that it is just like Windows 7 and I didn't like that either.
At least it doesn't scroll backwards like touchscreen UIs do.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Given that each new OS Microsoft releases seems to be wrestling more and more control from the hands of users who know what the fuck they're doing, I think I'll give this one a wide berth.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
I'm praying games really start coming out for Linux, with Valve pushing it and all. Because I've had just about enough of Windows. The new "Metro" design is just the straw that broke the camels back.

Callate said:
Microsoft has become very good at making life harder for people who don't want to upgrade. But I'll hold out while I can.
If DirectX remains the standard, you fucking bet you will have to upgrade if you want to play newer games. :(
Yeah, DX has long been one of Microsoft's favorite "sticks". But on the other hand (in part because of the extended console generation), it's taken an unusually long time for any game to actually require DirectX higher than 9. If MS thinks that will be an inducement this year, they may be in for a rude surprise.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Why on Earth would you ever bother with Windows 8? Everyone older than 10 with a lick of sense should know by now that Microsoft OS's alternate wildly in quality levels. We get an utterly terrible pile of dogshit (cough, ME), then we get a really really good one (like say, XP). Then it cycles back again and we get another pile of dogshit in the form of Vista, then a really good one in 7.

8 is terrible and it's going to remain terrible. Wait until Windows 9 comes out and save yourself the hassle.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
When getting an OS, I stick to the Windows with odd numbers.
Or Linux until I realize that I shouldnt even notice that I have any OS, instead of constantly fighting it anytime I try to do something. Don't get me wrong, I live Linux for what it is but until you tame it its hobby, not OS.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Blargh McBlargh said:
From what I've seen and read so far, Win8 doesn't seems pretty goddamn awful. Kinda reminds me of the failures that were Windows 2000 and Vista.
GRAWR! Blasphemer! Fool! [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BerserkButton] You know not of what you speak!

I demand you apologize to the great 2k-san [http://webbstuff.net/evilneko/2k-san-pettanko.jpg] right now. D:<

Also you're right, Windows 8 doesn't seem awful. It's quite nice actually. Most of the people I've talked to who have actually used it have liked it.

Kendarik said:
It's a step backwards for desktops. Really not much more to say than that. Even in the OP's defense of it he demonstrate how awkward it is to use.

The nice thing about my company's licensing deal with MS is that it includes being able to run additional old licenses on new CPUs so we can keep running 7 until we see what 9 is like. Hopefully by then they will realize desktops and tablets need different things.
Awkward? Far from it. No awkwardness here.
actually using Metro is pretty smooth and intuitive.
Anyway, since I posted the OP, I've discovered another convenient UI feature. There's a second icon and sidebar on the left that shows up when you move your mouse to the top-left corner. The icon is the last Metro applet you used, the sidebar shows all running applets plus the desktop and the Start flag at the bottom. Por ejemplo:
Flag:

Sidebar:

The sidebar's accessible from desktop or Metro. This basically turns Metro into a sort of virtual desktop app [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_desktop] such as has been standard on many linux guis for years. It's not the best, a little slicker than some, more crude than others. All it needs is multiple instances of the actual Desktop...

janjotat

Jan 22, 2012
its the rule of every other os MS makes is good, Win 7 was good so following that logic Win 8 will suck (Think Xp to Vista to 7(good, bad, good)) I will wait for Windows 9 before upgrading
captcha: it is enough

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
I heard it could lock out both hardware and software. Even if this is true for one item I say fuck it. Not going to give you the inch.