So Windows 8, who's using it?

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
TopazFusion said:
I'm still a bit miffed that they did away with Aero (transparent glass effects, etc)

I like my eye candy dammit!
TopazFusion said:
shrekfan246 said:
... well, I guess I'm sticking with Windows 7 for the time being then. Such a little thing, sure, but the UI really looks garish when Aero is off. Didn't even know the demo was out, to be honest.
Yeah, I agree.

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-release-preview-rip-aero-20032012-143133

Because 8 is targeted at low-spec devices, they decided to remove Aero (it was too demanding on the hardware apparently, and drained the batteries too quickly)

Still doesn't explain why they couldn't have left it in, and just disabled it by default or something.
What?

This seems to be untrue. My taskbar and window borders are transparent.

Twilight_guy said:
Except for the fact that your desktop is basically an app like all the other apps in the metro interface.
Maybe it is. However, the effect is the same, even if "Desktop" is a glorified Metro app, it works exactly the same as a normal desktop. You really don't have to interact with Metro at all.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Still happy with Win XP... or at least, until my nephew returns me my Win 7 disc I lend to him.

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
Been using the Windows 8 Preview for a couple months now. Even though my PC is not a touch screen, I do like the new interface, and start up and shutdown only take ten seconds rather than two or three minutes. My computer always had internet connection issues every other start up with Windows 7. I haven't had any problems with 8 so far.

I do not believe seventy bucks is worth it for the full release, especially since 7 is only three years old. But it is a small step-up.

dontlooknow

Mar 6, 2008
I never thought I'd say this, but I'm quite looking forward to 'upgrading'. I like the metro UI because it puts all the info you need right in front of you, and since getting a Windows Phone, it's been nice having it all tied into my pc, and from what I've seen running the 8 preview, that ubiquitous sense is going to get more pronounced.

At least for me, so far, it all seems to be working nicely, it feels quite unnerving...

targren

May 13, 2009
No thanks. I already have a cell phone. No need to gimp my PC into another one.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Anyone else sensing a pattern here? ;)

Incidentally, Windows 8 will apparently be released in October.

Findlebob

Mar 24, 2011
But does it give you the option to disable auto arrange. I could only use 7 after downloading patches that let me organise my own folders.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Another round of non-existent drivers, un-runnable older software, settings that are "hidden" from users under layers of gloss because they presume we're too stupid to use them...

It will probably eventually become very difficult to not "upgrade" (big scare quotes) to a newer version and all the attendant nonsense the software engineers decide to inflict upon us in the name of improvements which may or may not actually improve the basic user experience. Microsoft has become very good at making life harder for people who don't want to upgrade. But I'll hold out while I can.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
I might buy an upgrade, and not use it until the first Service Pack comes out. Getting a new OS when it's first released isn't a good idea due to security holes the programmers often leave behind.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I'll be sticking to Windows 7 for my desktop, however I'm running the preview of 8 on my new HTPC and Metro is great for just about everything you could want a HTPC to do. Of course no Start gave me problems when I was setting it up, but now...well I was going to buy Win 7 for my HTPC but I'll be waiting and buying a copy of 8 for it now.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Windows 8? I don't even have Windows 7, I'm still using windows vista. I really need a new laptop.

SnowyGamester

Tech Head
Oct 18, 2009
I've been watching Windows 8 since the earliest info leaks and was considering ignoring it (as I did with Vista) due to the new metro interface looking absolutely stupid and thinking it wouldn't work anywhere near as well as how I currently organized all my stuff. Then I realized I only use Office, play a few games and have a handful of other misc programs installed, and they'd probably fit well on their own pages of the new interface (or in folders, I assume you can make them). Plus some of the new features definately make it seem worth the upgrade (mount isos natively you say? bout damn time!). Probably gonna get it as soon as it releases officially (or I need a new install for whatever reason).

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
I'm not getting it and neither is the University I work for. Chances are its going to be another flop like every second Windows release.

oddball250

Aug 2, 2011
Is it still possible to go into the coding and turn off the Metro. ive seen it in the previews that you can deactive the touch screen part and it looks like windows 7

Bigsmith

Mar 16, 2009
WI'll be sticking with Windows 7 for my desktop, I think we should leave windows 8 to the touch screen computers.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
I am good with Windows Vista. STOP LAUGHING.

Also yeah I am not touching Win8. Ever.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Findlebob said:
But does it give you the option to disable auto arrange. I could only use 7 after downloading patches that let me organise my own folders.
You can drag Metro tiles around all you like on the Start screen. On the "All Apps" full menu however, things cannot be re-arranged from within Metro. Presumably you can futz with the Start folder directly (it's stored in c:\programdata\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\), but there'd be little point other than adding your own shortcuts... you can't re-arrange things arbitrarily.

oddball250 said:
Is it still possible to go into the coding and turn off the Metro. ive seen it in the previews that you can deactive the touch screen part and it looks like windows 7
Well, if you'd read my OP, you might know.

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
It's too... square. ._.

Too square dude. Way too square. ._.

Even that Start icon! It looks so... tablet...ey.

And the windows. Aaaaaaaargh. Too much stuff peoples. o.o

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Honestly my only complaint is the removal of the 'Start' button. Otherwise I find myself feeling quite happy running Windows 8 RC on a test bed rig. And that test bed is an old peice of shit, let me tell you and the whole thing still runs remarkably well.

Had it been me, Metro would have been easy to disable for desktops or laptops where it really isn't appropriate. Other than that.....well I'm not gonna hope on the 'Microsoft Death Squad' bandwagon just yet.