So, with ME3 Extended cut ending comming up...

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Bitches will ***** and I wont be using the internet for another month after its released.
And that magic "E" word will be used which will only add petrol to the bonfire that is being fueled by the methane gas from the swirling shit storm.

More Mass Effect is good Mass Effect in my mind, I just wish that'd do more Single Player add on content. Never seen an actual female turian in the game, Garrus kept on bringing up his sister, make something off that BioWare. Do Eeet.

an874

Jul 17, 2009
Girl With One Eye said:
I think the damage has been done and whatever the extended cut shows will not make a difference.
I second this. I didn't mind the ending's too much, in spite of how poorly written they are (the supposed lack of variety in choices at the end didn't bother me). The game was still fun, the writing was basically good, up until the end, and I've had a ton of fun playing the multiplayer with my friends. Bioware could have not released this and I'd still be okay with it.

Madman123456

Feb 11, 2011
Shepard controls the Reapers, flys them all into a sun but one, in which he now exists. The Shepard reaper will have to work hard to earn any semblance of trust and will never overcome all prejudices.
Shepard destroys the reapers and they are destroyed, bam. Not "all" artificial Life and then Edi apparently survives or something. A "Happy" ending. Though you'd have to take the "happy" with a grain of salt. Its kinda hard to see behind the piles of Corpses on every planet.

This would be possible with or without the most literal deus ex machina i have ever seen.

Another Option, with the Starchild, would be to refuse a Choice. Since Starbrat himself said that the Cycle wont work now, for some Reason, he might as well just go away. His argument sucks anyway.

Yet another Option would be to pull technology out of the huge scrapyard from the end of me2. Combine technologies from different Cycles and you'll have a better superweapon.

I thought of better Solutions to all of the Problems then Bioware did in mere Seconds. And now they want to "explain" things. Now that i'd like to see. I'll watch it on youtube and it'll be good for a laugh.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
If it's not Indoctrination Theory I don't even want to hear about it.

Next best thing would be the Lost Island Theory.

But if it's neither of those things I'll just hope that it's Shepard waking up in a hospital bed after the original Normandy blew up. Effectively removing Mass Effect 2 and 3 from existence, implying that the Reaper threat died with Sovereign. It would be a better ending than what we have now.

I'm so spoiled by the Indoctrination Theory that I'm don't even think the ending is a problem any more. I'm still unwilling to forgive the beginning or middle of ME 3, but I did forgive the end. Though if "Extended Cut" disproves the Indoctrination Theory in any way ME 3 will be a total loss, again. As if it wasn't already.

Maybe they were fucking with us this whole time and the "Extended Cut" is just a really big patch that fixes the entire game! Wouldn't that be sweet.

Lupus80

Jan 9, 2011
Good or not, at least with the Extended Cut released maybe, just maybe, Bioware and even EA will have to start answering questions. I'm really looking forward to the day when we hear about Casey Hudson/Marc Walters/some EA or Bioware PR lackey actually try to defend the ending, and try to explain why it wasn't as bad as it was.

Whatever the explainations/excuses are it will be interesting to see how they twist and shrug as they spew out BS. It might not happen this year, but eventually one of them is going to have to talk.

So far Bioware/EA has done nothing to defend their decisions, beyond a vague and useless defense of [i/]artistic integrity[/i]. Maybe they can even try to explain what they mean by saying [i/]that[/i].

As for me, the Extended Cut will be the deciding factor of whether or not I continue following the Mass Effect franchise. I have heard of Hudson's plans to grow the franchise to make movies, comic books, etc.- but all of them would be based before or during the game trilogy timeline. If that is true, and they do not fix the ending, any furture endeavors of the franchise will be dead on arrival as far as I'm concerned.

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
I just want to know who thought that having one of the choices be:

"And then all the robots and non-robots fuse together"

was a good idea. Its the dumbest thing I've ever heard in a game ever.

And how does having all the robots kill all the non-robots every 10,000 years so they don't get killed themselves make any goddam sense? How is this justification? "The created will always rebel against the creator" <---MAYBE BECAUSE YOU SLAUGHTER THEM EVERY 10K YEARS? Who WOULDN'T rebel against that?

I think like Dues Ex HR outsourcing the boss fights, Bioware outsourced the ending to someone else. Its the only way it makes any sense logically.

LordFisheh

Dec 31, 2008
natster43 said:
Also one thing I didn't realize or think about which surprises me, how a total of about 10 minutes could apparently completely make people dislike the series in it's entirety.
At least for me, it's because I loved the universe they made and then they blew it all up. Even without the starvation theories and such, the relays and Citadel are gone - it's not the same universe. They even said the same in an interview I remember before ME2, to give an idea - something like 'of course you can go back to the Citadel, it wouldn't be Mass Effect without the Citadel!'

As well as that, there's the fact that the ending hangs over the other games. Save a guy? Doesn't matter, he's killed by Reapers. Have Wrex lead his people to a better tomorrow? Nope, he'll never see them again because he's stuck on Earth. And the best of all, (no, I'm not a talimancer) is the brilliant irony of going through all that to bring the Quarians home and create peace only for the whole fleet to be stranded over a lifetime's journey away.

I really don't get the appeal of primitivist endings to the people who write science fiction...

LordFisheh

Dec 31, 2008
Don Savik said:
And how does having all the robots kill all the non-robots every 10,000 years so they don't get killed themselves make any goddam sense? How is this justification? "The created will always rebel against the creator" <---MAYBE BECAUSE YOU SLAUGHTER THEM EVERY 10K YEARS? Who WOULDN'T rebel against that?
I think the idea was that synthetics would wipe out -all- organic life, as in down to the last cell, and create a sterile waste.

Which is still a terrible motivation for the Reapers, as if we're meant to be super emotionally attached not even to the characters, the universe, or the civilisations but to the concept of carbon based life.

Oh no my precious beautiful ~carbon~! If they win no living thing will ever be based on carbon chains again and they'll use some other robot molecule...

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Well I liked the ending to start with. So adding extra stuff is always good. The ending isn't what means the most to me. It's the game as a whole. Your choices don't matter? Well the outcome of the Geth/Quarian war hinges on you making key decisions in ME2. Will the Destiny Accession join the attack on the Reapers? Depends how you ended ME1. Will Mordin sing his Scientist Salarian song when curing the Genophage? Dialogue choices in ME2 dictate that.
So yeah, I was satisfied with ME3's ending.

And yes, I played all 3 Mass Effect games and bought all the DLC for ME2 and ME3 so far. So anyone that claims I'm not a proper fan for liking the ending and not "experiencing the whole franchise" can go jump off the Citadel.

alik44

Sep 11, 2010
Well the upside is that they canot go any lower so anything now will be a step up from the ending

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
TimeLord said:
Well I liked the ending to start with. So adding extra stuff is always good. The ending isn't what means the most to me. It's the game as a whole. Your choices don't matter? Well the outcome of the Geth/Quarian war hinges on you making key decisions in ME2. Will the Destiny Accession join the attack on the Reapers? Depends how you ended ME1. Will Mordin sing his Scientist Salarian song when curing the Genophage? Dialogue choices in ME2 dictate that.
So yeah, I was satisfied with ME3's ending.
RE consequences for choices: Rannoch and Tuchanka are seen as the best example of this, with Tuchanka being better than Rannoch. Many agree with the ME2 decision for affecting the ME3 Rannoch arc.
The Destiny Ascension is one thing the EC can fix. Its one of the biggest choices in the series, and in the end choosing it nets you 70 more EMS, the real Council as opposed to their extremely similar 'clones', and a 3 second shot of the Ascension, as opposed to any other Asari cruiser in the "Sword" Cinematic. Kinda underwhelming. A lot of people were expecting it to actually play some part in defeating the Reapers. See it taking on some Reapers, saving some Geth, or anything interesting. That is something the EC can somewhat fix.
However, there were things like the Rachni that really just sucked. Did you save the Rachni? No? You killed them? Well, they're back! In an identical mission to the one where you saved them!
And the Collector Base decision had an impact of what, 50 EMS and swapping Destroy and Control for the first unlocked mission?
After that the majority of choices were left to text entries in your War Asset list that affect an arbitrary number, and which you'll never see in action.
Choices have an extremely minor effect, and a lot of people were expecting more.

And yes, I played all 3 Mass Effect games and bought all the DLC for ME2 and ME3 so far. So anyone that claims I'm not a proper fan for liking the ending and not "experiencing the whole franchise" can go jump off the Citadel.
Well, have you got every comic, book and piece of merchandise?
Have you read Deception?
Did you think it was good or bad?

J/K. Kinda ridiculous needing to have some arbitrary level of experience with a franchise to be allowed to have a "Legitimate" opinion of the ending. Really, coming in for just ME3 your opinion is as valid as anyone elses IMO.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Joccaren said:
Well, have you got every comic, book and piece of merchandise?
Have you read Deception?
Did you think it was good or bad?

J/K. Kinda ridiculous needing to have some arbitrary level of experience with a franchise to be allowed to have a "Legitimate" opinion of the ending. Really, coming in for just ME3 your opinion is as valid as anyone elses IMO.
Yeah phunny story [http://wiki.loadingreadyrun.com/index.php/Phailhaüs]. I originally had only played ME2 + ME3 when this whole thing originally blew up. But my opinion on the ending kept getting originally dismissed because I hadn't "experienced the whole franchise". So I went and played through the entire series from the start to see of it would make a difference to my final opinion on the ending. It didn't. But your right, even if you have just played ME3, your opinion is no less important than others who have played the whole series.

fireaura08

Apr 10, 2012
ChromaticWolfen said:
I will watch it on YouTube before I even decide on buying. It if makes it so my Shepard and Tali get back together then I MIGHT get it just so I can have a slightly happy ending, but other aspects like player choices will still be important.
If I recall correctly, Bioware said it was going to be free. Nonetheless, if it sucks, then it wont be worth the bandwith to download.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Vault101 said:
this kind of makes me sad

mabye I'm just a fan..but I don't see how you can just turn on/off your feelings about Mass Effect

because they were so close....and its just 10 mintues....I'm sad that it ended how it did but I can;t just "not care"
I don't get it, and I wouldn't even call myself a fan. I didn't like the first one like at all. I just don't get how 10 minutes make the other what 100 hours of the trilogy bad?

White_Lama

Feb 23, 2011
I'm not getting the Extended thing DLC :)

I liked the ending as it was, and I didn't feel like I had any unanswered questions since I did all sidequests and everything before going into the final fight.

TheKruzdawg

Apr 28, 2010
Z of the Na said:
Part of me speculates that it will be a narrated series of still images akin to the ending of Fallout 3. I'm fine with that as well. It's at least something.
That's actually kind of what I expected in the first place. Dragon Age: Origins did the same thing at the end of the game. While it wouldn't be the best ending IMO, it would have helped clarify things more than they were.

OT: I'm still waiting for this ending thing to come out so I can replay the game. I haven't touched it sense the first playthrough and I would really like to go back, since I really enjoyed the ride up to the final ending. But I'd rather play through the game with the new content downloaded, so I wait.

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
Eddie the head said:
Vault101 said:
this kind of makes me sad

mabye I'm just a fan..but I don't see how you can just turn on/off your feelings about Mass Effect

because they were so close....and its just 10 mintues....I'm sad that it ended how it did but I can;t just "not care"
I don't get it, and I wouldn't even call myself a fan. I didn't like the first one like at all. I just don't get how 10 minutes make the other what 100 hours of the trilogy bad?
They make it bad because it makes the rest of the game pointless.
Wanted to know what happens to the Quarians and Geth after the war? Guess what, everyone dies!
Wanted to know what happens to the Krogan after the Genophage is cured? Guess what, everyone dies!
Wanted to know what happens to your squadmembers after the war? Guess what, they get stranded on some planet and everyone dies!
I could go on.
The ending completely killed any replay value for me. I have finished Mass Effect 1 a dozen times, Mass Effect 2 half of that, Mass Effect 3? Once, and that will not change any time soon. The ending completely killed 3 games for me, two of which I loved.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
I don't know. I'll have a look, but I can't say I'm that confident about it. As much as the whole ghost child thing and "creations will always rebel against the creator" and Shepard just accepting it etc sucked like hell, apparently some of the other things we worried about will be sorted out. Like, the fleet somehow survives, mass relays will be rebuilt, etc. And apparently if got enough support in the final battle Shepard is shown to be alive just after the credits, although I turned off the game when the credits started so I don't know, so we might get a bit of closure with him.
I'll give it a chance before I continue hating ME3, but I'm not particularly optimistic.