So, would you have done the same?

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Well, I've killed about twelve in the last three days, so I believe that speaks for itself.

There are subclauses to my spider-killing, though. If it's something from the Opiliones order or the Pholcus phalangioides species (both commonly known as Daddy-Long-Legs and less commonly known as harvestmen (Opiliones) and cellar spiders) then I'll usually let them be unless they are skittering around directly next to me. But anything with a short, fat, hairy body and fast moving legs you can bet will die as soon as I get something with enough stiffness to crush it.

In fact, there's been a family of Pholcus phalangioides living in the bathroom here for about a year now. I'm not entirely sure how they keep reproducing and living unless they're cannibals, as I can't imagine there's been too much spider-food flying around in a second-floor windowless bathroom.

Big EDIT: Oh, by the way:
Myth: "I'm very kind to spiders; when I find one in the house, I put it back outside instead of killing it."

Fact: You can't put something "back" outside that was never outside in the first place. Although some house spider species can survive outdoors, most don't do well there, and some (which are native to other climates) will perish rather quickly when removed from the protective indoor habitat. You're not doing them a favor.

In any case, house spiders are mostly harmless and beneficial. Human property rights mean nothing to other species. There was spider habitat for millions of years where your home is now. My advice is, "just wave as they go by."

SilentCom

Mar 14, 2011
I don't really mind spiders in my house unless they are really big and scary or try to crawl on me or something. They keep smaller insects that carry bacteria and other nasty stuff away from my food. If it does get in the way, I will try to throw it out in the yard. I usually don't like to kill spiders, even though I find them a little creepy.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I don't squish spiders. I usually ignore them or let them outside. Other bugs are not so lucky though, specifically any of the flying variety.

DarthSka

Mar 28, 2011
I always get them outside. I just don't see the point of killing it when we can both go about our day fully intact. Hell, this summer there was a brown recluse over my shower head and I still went out of my way to get it out.

Insanity72

Feb 14, 2011
Ashannon Blackthorn said:
Was in the kitchen and saw a pretty large spider. being a bit fond of the arachnids I went and researched what it was and came back with hobo spider. My roomies wanted to squish it, I caught it and released it into the garden. Would you have done the same or just dropped a phone book on it? Any other dangerous critters you tend to have a soft spot for and remove instead of kill when they show up to share your house?
When you say pretty large, do you mean Australian large? because most of the time i see a spider around my house it's about the size of my palm (i have huge hands). But either way i don't kill them, if it's outside of my room i'll just leave it and if it is in my room i'll try to chase it out, if that doesn't work i catch it it something and take it outside.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
It depends on where it is. If I see it on the walls, I leave it alone. If it is within 3 feet of me or in my bed, I kill it with fire(ok maybe not fire, but very indiscriminately).

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
I make a point of releasing anything of the sort that I see in the house. Spiders, centipedes, wasps, whatever.

Got me stung/bitten a whole bunch of times, though. Kinda inevitable when you're really being careful not to hurt them.

Oh, and spiders can stay as long as there aren't too many/they stick to a suitable part of the room, in a web. They do an excellent job of catching flies and mosquitoes.

Ashannon Blackthorn

Sep 5, 2011
NezumiiroKitsune said:
Hobo spiders are nearly indistinguishable from other spiders of the genus Tegenaria, so if you managed to accurately identify it by eye, without looking closely at it's reproductive apparatus, well done, you have a very unique talent.

What I mean to say is, what made you sure it was a hobo spider? But yes, I'd have done the same. I would have caught it first mind, not wandered off, but I'd have released it; they're potential for flesh necrosis is greatly exaggerated, and they're useful pest control.
I have a guide book from the area I live in that describes almost all known spider species in this area. Quite a few of the other Tegenarian spiders don't live in the area. Plus I caught it in a see through glass jar so had quite the time to leisurely examine the little fellow and if he wasn't a hobo, damn close.. close enough I wouldn't let him bite me to find out for sure ;-)

ChaosBorne

Jul 24, 2004
i pretty much ignore spiders for the most part and let them carry on with their lives, i like how they kill the annoying insects (flies/mosquitos etc.)
pls note though that it greatly depends on my mood and their proximity, if they come all up in my business and i'm in a bad mood they die or get catapulted out a window without a second thought, but most of the time i let them hang out in my place.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Steppin Razor said:
I kill them usually. Don't like anything small and venomous wandering around the house where it can try and bite me if I reach into any dark, concealed spaces. Especially not if they're one of these bastards investigating the place:

Only ever had 2 of them inside the houses I've lived in, and both times I didn't see them until after our dog had ripped their legs off and played with them like they were a toy. Miniature schnauzers can be quite vicious little things, sometimes.
Is that a Sydney funnel web spider? If so then I don't blame you because those things can be nasty as fuck (very venomous for a spider). Unlike most spiders that choose to run away Sydney funnel web spiders are very aggressive. While they usually say in their borrows, they will come out when looking for a mate and that is usually when people encounter them. Funny fact, their venom supposedly only affects primates (which unfortunately includes us) but will not affect other animals like dogs and cats. Man, mother-nature has some mean motherfuckers down in Australia.

MisterDyslexo

Feb 11, 2011
I like bees, and I'm probably allergic to them. Whenever they're in a room, I just put my hand up near them, they jump on, and I take them outside. Bees are vicious killing machines. Wasps, maybe, but not bees. They're only harmful if you inflict harm upon them, hence their suicidal defense mechanism.

darkfire613

Jun 26, 2009
I've saved house centipedes from death. My mom's terrified of them, but I'll just sweep them into a cup and toss them outside. Same with spiders and all other bugs.

I actually felt bad today, because some sort of insect (I don't know what) landed on my friend's backpack. She hates insects, but I couldn't blow it off for her, so I had to use a napkin and squish it. While I'm a bit sad from having to kill it, she's going on about how she's gonna have to wash her backpack over the weekend.

rosemystica

Jan 24, 2010
I scoop spiders up on a piece of paper and put them out in my garden. They eat the harmful pests. They get dinner, and I get nice tomatoes. Win-win!

It's the same with lizards and snakes. If I see them out in the backyard, I leave them alone, because they're probably keeping pests and mice away from the house.

RemuValtrez

Sep 14, 2011
I rather hate spiders due to my childhood. But I don't go out of my way to hunt down every single one in my house. If I see it I try to get it outside, unless it's big and black. Then they get squished by the raid can (poetic I think), as I'd used raid on a spider just to find out it survived a few days later.

Outside of spiders, I give wasps no quarter. They die instantly.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
no, i wouldnt kill it with a phone book. i would take my hand, put on a glove and punch it to death.

if i saw it somewhre that isnt the bathroom, my bedroom or the kitchen, i'll not nothing.