Someone Please Kill Noober. Gifting Baldur's Gate: EE on Steam. [Closed]

Eduku

Sep 11, 2010
I'm interested, BG 2 was incredible but I never got the chance to play its predecessor.

Handbag1992

Apr 20, 2009
That's definitely on my "Games I need to play" list, alongside the original Elder Scrolls and a few Ps1 games. So count me in, and thanks for being so generous.

Loghaire90

Mar 15, 2011
I'm interested. I have played the original Baldur's gate but i haven't tried the enchanted edition. I would like to have that one.

Louie Clark

Mar 31, 2011
AuronFtw said:
Oh look, another kid who failed to compare the hack n slash titles on ps2 to other hack n slash titles on any system ever to find that they were actually pretty fucking fantastic games, with engaging gameplay, interesting talent selections, and excellent loot hunting and item crafting.

Pretty much the only hack n slash to do the genre better than BG:DA 1 and 2 was d2.

But no, definitely keep bashing Dark Alliance as bad because you're comparing it cross-platform, cross-genre and cross-game gen. That makes so much sense!
Hey, thanks for contributing! Keep up the good work. Good job at reading the thread. Especially where I said I didn't think it was a bad game, and was just complaining because it wasn't part of the Baldur's Gate Series.

Anyway, I have everyone recorded so far.

Louie Clark

Mar 31, 2011
ramboondiea said:
I thought Baldurs gate was the bad one, and Baldurs gate 2 was the good one? at least that was the impression i got from when it was announced, as I remember a lot of people saying they should have remastered the second on instead? I cant say I have ever played, which is strange, because im pretty sure i have played all the other isometric crpgs haha
BG2 is a better game, yes. It's much larger, has better character interactions, and lots more. But the story with these games is such that releasing them in order is the right move in my opinion. It's a real epic, and you can take your character from the start of the first game, to the end of the add-on for part 2. This is what I was talking about when I said the console ones weren't part of the series.

Baldur's Gate takes place towards the end of the Time of Troubles, which was a huge event in Forgotten Realms. If anyone is curious, here's the wikipedia article. There aren't really spoilers for the game there, as that is for the whole event. It was the event that explained the changes from First Edition to Second Edition rules for AD&D.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_of_Troubles_(Forgotten_Realms)

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
I was totally about to buy this game anyway so consider this an expression of interest.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
Sure, I'll throw my hat in the ring. Always wanted to check out some of Bioware's older games.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
I'd love this, just hope I don't have to do too much wrangling to get it running on my rig.

Kaisikudo

Sep 30, 2009
My girlfriend suggested I buy the Baldur's Gate 4-in-1 pack on Amazon about a year ago. Got it for a bargain price and she was so right about it being one of the greatest RPGs of all time. The sheer difficulty can be quite ridiculous at times, but the story and characters are just plain unforgettable. I keep on coming back to it, and I'm currently playing through Baldur's Gate 2, having completed Tales of the Sword Coast.

I also picked up Planescape: Torment, and the original Neverwinter Nights, both of which I love - and am currently looking into buying the Icewind Dale games, which look remarkably similar to the Baldur's Gate series.

I don't suppose you have anything to say about them? Do they play and feel the same at all?

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
I just finished playing through the BG series a couple days ago... again.:D Working on Icewind Dale now. It's a testament to the quality of the Infinity Engine that these games have aged so well, they're all still very playable. I encourage you all to give it a try, and props to you, LouieClark, for your generous offer.

Orange12345

Aug 11, 2011
damn I'm in, never played baldurs gate but I have heard nothing but how great it is. Good on you for the generousity Louie Clark

Aug 19, 2010
Everyone says this is one of the best RPGs out there, sadly haven't gotten around to playing it yet though, I'd be glad to immerse myself into it's alleged glory

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
Kaisikudo said:
My girlfriend suggested I buy the Baldur's Gate 4-in-1 pack on Amazon about a year ago. Got it for a bargain price and she was so right about it being one of the greatest RPGs of all time. The sheer difficulty can be quite ridiculous at times, but the story and characters are just plain unforgettable. I keep on coming back to it, and I'm currently playing through Baldur's Gate 2, having completed Tales of the Sword Coast.

I also picked up Planescape: Torment, and the original Neverwinter Nights, both of which I love - and am currently looking into buying the Icewind Dale games, which look remarkably similar to the Baldur's Gate series.

I don't suppose you have anything to say about them? Do they play and feel the same at all?
IWD plays very similar to BG, but since you create your whole party from scratch, there's no "main" character and no recruitable NPC companions. Thus, story and characterization aren't nearly as developed and memorable as Torment or BG, but it's still a great series. It just tends to focus more on combat out in the frozen wastes, rather than NPC interaction in the big city.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
On reading this thread my first thought was: "I WANT THAT!" Then I wondered... Do I have it? I think I would have played it, but I feel like I have some old RPG I forgot about. Turns out that was Neverwinter Nights 2. So, already I thank you for reminding me of that, kinda. If I end up getting this (I guess this is an official declaration of interest?) then you will get double thanks. Which is really good for some reason. You know you want double thanks.

Kudos, by the way. I know that feeling of just wanting to throw money at a developer. I've owned four different copies of Morrowind.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
I'll put out that I'm interested.

I'm having to prioritize my money a lot, so this could be an opportunity to try such a reputed game and not feel guilty about it.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
Oooh. Put me in the running, please. Maybe this time I can finally finish it.

I managed to get up to the final battle when I played the game last time, but I got minion swarmed to death so freaking hard I eventually gave up. I want my revenge!

Louie Clark

Mar 31, 2011
Aris Khandr said:
Oooh. Put me in the running, please.
You and everyone else is in.

Regarding the question about BG and IWD that came up, BeeGeenie was right. They are pretty similar. BeeGeenie probably knows more than I do about the first Icewind Dale game, but it was my understanding it was much more action oriented and took place in a dungeon as opposed to the open world of BG.

Icewind Dale 2, however, is more open. That being said (and it's been since it's release that I've played it, so forgive me if I'm mistaken here) there are very few options when it comes to fast traveling via the map. I seem to remember having to walk through areas to get where I wanted to go, where as in BG you can just click on any visited area to travel there. Everything else that was said applies to Icewind Dale 2 as well, in regards to you making your whole party at the start.

Also worth noting, is that IWD 2 uses 3rd Edition rules, and not 2nd or the weird 2.5 blend that I think BG2 used. If you're not familiar with the different editions that DnD went through, the best way I can explain it is that IWD 2 feels a little bit like a Fallout game in some aspects. You can learn bluff and intimidate skills, and use them to get out of combat, still gaining the full exp for the encounter- sometimes even more exp than if you would have killed everything.

I really enjoyed IWD 2, though. If you liked any of the other Infinity Engine games, I'd suggest grabbing it. It's ten dollars for either one on gog.com.