Sonic Fan Project Gives Sonic 4 a Run for its Money

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Sonic Fan Project Gives Sonic 4 a Run for its Money

Two men have taken one extraordinarily fast hedgehog and given fans the kind of treat they've been clamoring for.

It's been a while since Sonic has been at the top of his game. In fact, it's been a while since Sonic has been at the top of anyone's game. But rather than dwell too much on the sorry state that Sonic finds himself in today, two fans are helping him relive the glory days, with a remake of the classic Genesis game, Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

The project is called Sonic Fan Remix, and is built using Unity3D. The video, which shows a recreation of Emerald Hill Zone 1, the first level of Sonic 2, is the work of two posters from the Sonic Retro [http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=19981] fan site called Pelikan13k and Mercury. The two-man team has given the level an overgrown look, full of lush foliage, and eagle-eyed viewers may notice the incredibly detailed backgrounds, oh, and the gigantic, hovering robot.

The quality of the redesign is remarkable, and I especially like that it isn't just a pixel-for-pixel remake of Sonic 2. Pelikan says that there are plans to release a short playable demo of the game, so keep watching this space, and we'll let you know if and when it turns up.

Source: Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/sonic-fan-remix-shakes-up-emerald-hill-act-1-185472.phtml]

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
That is awesome, let's hope lawyers don't destroy it like the ChronoTrigger fan remake.

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
This would be great if they actually made it a full playable thing for free so they don't piss Sega off, or if they worked out some kind of deal.

It's also looking better than Sonic 4, although I wish this video was a little better quality and not so "I just filmed this with my digital camera" like.

Nevyrmoore

Aug 13, 2009
Anyone want to start a betting pool on how long it will take for SEGA to shut them down?

Visulth

Jun 25, 2009
This is most likely going to get hit with a Cease and Desist real quick. The second a fan project looks as good, or better than an actual product its days become numbered.

But wow, that looked really good. I love that overgrown aesthetic, the robot in the background. It really immerses you in a way I don't think any Sonic game ever has. It's sad, but it appears Sonic Team might very well be the least qualified people to make a sonic game. It was Dimps, in the end, that made the daytime Sonic Unleashed for the Wii so much fun.

rileyrulesu

Jun 15, 2009
I kind of wish that the lower part was brown with dirt like it was on the genesis, also the robot is a nice touch, but i think it should move faster so you don't wonder why eggman beat you to the end of 1-2 when you face him there

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
So when is the cease and desist gonna happen?
this all ways happens when you have a few people outdo an entire development studio....namely sega as a whole.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
That looked incredible. It looked really....glossy? I liked it. The audio is a bit off but that's minor. Looks like everyone's bringing out a remake of Sonic stages these days...

Anyway C&D and all that. I call four weeks.

hittite

Nov 9, 2009
And now I feel old. Curse you nostalgia! seriously, though, that looked epic.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
Hey, Sega? Yeah, get onto these guys NOW and offer them a job. Then I might have a bit of faith in the future of Sonic.