Sony Admits Private PSN Info Has Been Stolen - All Of It

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
setting_son said:
Michael Flick said:
zxBARRICADExz said:
dont get me wrong... i love my ps3's games.. but the security of the 360 and XBL is quite alot more hardcore than the PSN..
How is the XBL system more "hardcore" exactly?
Bill Gates guards it personally in an underwater fortress off the coast of Greenland. Also all the user data is on 3.5 inch floppy disks that need to be placed in the drive by Bill himself whenever an XBL user wants to play online.

It's why there's a subscription fee.
I legitimately lol'd hard at this. I've been awake all night though, so anything's possible~

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Jesus christ this is bad news for us, luckily for me a got new card a few months ago and hadn't updated the details on psn so hopefully my card details are safe, that said I'll will be keeping a tight eye on the money going out of my account for the next view months. Well done hackers I'd love to hear your justification for all this, and it better be a damn sight better than "they tookz r linux n homebrew aways."

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
lord canti said:
I see people posting how sony's security sucks and how you never have this happen on steam. Funny seeing how I find countless stories of peoples accounts getting hacked into. Granted valve almost always rectifies the situations. And while I don't blame sony 100% for this they damn well better give us something nice after this clears up.
Abit different from what we're talking about.

*Click this link to get free games*

"Oh cool!"

"Why is my account password changed!"

pokepuke

Dec 28, 2010
Theseus32 said:
I'll just say this. Even if it wasn't "anon" in an "official" capacity, the odds of someone totally unaffiliated with the masked ones being able to pull off a truly remarkable hack like this are close to nil.
You're seriously serious with this statement? What is remarkable is how much credit you give a rag-tag group of basement dwellers with enough free time to be angry about these things.

­
The moral? Attempting to start a war with the kind of people who are even capable of hacking their own PS3 is a really really bad idea.
lmao

lord canti

May 30, 2009
Spangles said:
lord canti said:
Yep because sony is the only company ever to have the users info compromised.
However this is certainly the biggest compromise affecting the most people... unless you count the time the UK Gov't lost all our data.
yes no doubt that this is huge. My comment were for all the people acting like a massive company has never had user information compromised.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Ouch. This is going to seriously hurt their reputation. I'm glad I've no ties to the current gen Sony consoles but I know of at least two people who this will affect directly.

It must've been a damn good coordinated attack to work, but they can at least be confident that they do a better job than my bloody government who actively loses countless personal data records because of incompetence alone.

Good luck PSN users.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
truthfully, i hope whoevers responsible get prosecuted to the fullest extent. and sony compensates its users who lost stuff due to this crap

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
well, I warned my friends who have PSN accounts, and that's really as far as my interest in this goes. It sucks, and I know if this happened to XBL or steam, I would be pissed.

Honestly, yes, people have a right to be pissed at Sony. People trusted them with their information, and they lost it. That being said, it's still the hackers fault, but you guys REALLY shouldn't be so quick to defend Sony. I sure as hell doubt anyone would be defending Microsoft if XBL had been hacked to this degree.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
Moriarty said:
tony2077 said:
Moriarty said:
tony2077 said:
Moriarty said:
tony2077 said:
Moriarty said:
Oscar90 said:
Anyone who originally blamed anonymous probably feels pretty stupid right about now.
nah look at the tread. Anyone who origninally blamed anonymous still does because all hackers are the same.

Why would a political activist group try to steal user data and credit card info? well duh because they're hackers
who ever did it is still anonymous so doesn't really change who your blaming it could be the group or some other nobody
Well you have to make a difference between the verb and the group. Not everyone who hides their identity visits /b and not everyone who's a regular on /b is in Anonymous.
when someone is anonymous it mean you don't know them so is there really a difference at this point
the point is:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/anonymous is not the same as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anonymous_%28group%29 simple enough?
doesn't change the fact the who ever did i still anonymous as in we don't have a clue who did it so group or verb doesn't matter

you are making no sense. We don't know who did this so it has to be this specific group because they chose a name describing the unknown?

That's like blaming Nascar because someone ran over your pet
your blaming anonymous it could be the group or it could be someone else does it really matter at this point when we have so little info to go on

gorsameth

Nov 11, 2009
While the theft of this much personal data is of course very worrying I am seriously surprised at the info that they managed to get. As a programmer myself any password information should be 1 way encrypted. That means you can only check if the info supplied when you log in is correct but its utterly impossible to get the data out again.
For account password to be compromised it has to be some serious negligence on the part of Sony.
I shudder to thing how flimsy there security was.

puffenstuff

Jan 31, 2008
Awexsome said:
Dorkmaster Flek said:
Awexsome said:
Good ol' hackers. Fighting for your consumer rights against the evil corporation that takes away your rights...

Oh wait they have been douchebags the whole time in this case. Nevermind. Fuck you Geohotz for probably causing all this by releasing that code. If not then you certainly encouraged it.
You mind explaining how a hack to run homebrew code on your PS3 enabled the entire security of the PSN to be compromised? Sony's horrendous security is at fault here, not hackers playing homebrew code.
The PSN was obviously prepared for stuff like this to happen before hence no massive issues like this yet.

It wasn't prepared to deal with hackers potentially having the end all be all code that jailbreaks the PS3.
Actually this is a reason why sony is at fault for the security breach. If, as is being speculated by some, jailbroken firmware enabled the breach, it means that Sony's security system trusted that client's PS3s were secure and would always be so. This breaks a FUNDAMENTAL tenant of computer security. Designers are supposed to always assume that some of the client's systems will be compromised. If one compromised client can cause a system-wide break.... well that is.... words fail me... I literally cannot find a way to describe how irresponsible that is. So please, this is the fault of Sony and whoever stole the data. Don't try to let them off the hook by blaming anyone else.

Also, anyone who has a PSN account: CALL YOUR BANK RIGHT NOW. Do not wait. Have them issue you a new card, especially if you use a debit card since they do not generally have fraud protection. The hassle is definitely less than trying to fix identity-theft later.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
Eh... Blaming Geohot for this is like blaming Alfred Nobel (Guy who invented dynamite) for artillery. He created it to help and improve lives (I.e. applications in mining); it wasn't his fault when someone else took it and used it to kill people.
And just(/almost) as much blame lies with Sony as the hackers; the data they held was their responsibility to keep secure and they failed in that responsibility.

gorsameth

Nov 11, 2009
While the theft of this much personal data is of course very worrying I am seriously surprised at the info that they managed to get. As a programmer myself any password information should be 1 way encrypted. That means you can only check if the info supplied when you log in is correct but its utterly impossible to get the data out again.
For account password to be compromised it has to be some serious negligence on the part of Sony.
I shudder to thing how flimsy there security was.

EchetusXe

Jun 19, 2008
Calm down people for crying out loud.

1. The hacker/s MAY POSSIBLY have accessed this information (WE CANNOT RULE OUT THE POSSIBILITY).
2. Ironically something on this scale is safer for anyone who had their information compromised i.e. if a hacker successfully targets your computer then you are screwed, if a hacker gains access to the information of 70 MILLION users then even if he were to rob 1,000 people then that still leaves you with 99.9986% chance of not getting ripped off.
3. The hacker may not have gotten into the system on the hunt for such information (not that unreasonable considering how difficult it is SUPPOSED to be to get it), and so may have all this information that he has no idea of what to do with.

Sony are saying watch out for people ASKING YOU for information, not cancel your cards now. Still, many of you may now not think Sony a great source of information on online security...

Change your password, that should be only your PSN password unless you use the same password for various things (which you shouldn't).

Your info is 'out there' now, it probably already was out there for months only you didn't know about it. Admittedly perhaps not in such detail and in one such neat a package.

Having said all that I still say fuck Sony with a shoehorn. Absolutely dogshit security protocols, seriously. Nice to see they have called in some professionals at least.

Hackers will always hack for various reasons, I can sympathise some regional teddy bear store for fucking up with sensitive data like that, but Sony is a multi-national corporation. Too much money spent on lawyers and not enough on network technicians, fucking zero out of ten for effort.

Moriarty

Apr 29, 2009
you a
tony2077 said:
your blaming anonymous it could be the group or it could be someone else does it really matter at this point when we have so little info to go on
That's the exact opposite of what I was saying the whole time.

lord canti

May 30, 2009
Sir Ollie said:
lord canti said:
I see people posting how sony's security sucks and how you never have this happen on steam. Funny seeing how I find countless stories of peoples accounts getting hacked into. Granted valve almost always rectifies the situations. And while I don't blame sony 100% for this they damn well better give us something nice after this clears up.
Abit different from what we're talking about.

*Click this link to get free games*

"Oh cool!"

"Why is my account password changed!"
It's stillan outside source getting a hold of information that the company should have been protecting.