Sony Admits Private PSN Info Has Been Stolen - All Of It

IronStorm9

Jun 15, 2010
I would just like to put a preemptive stop to all mocking nicknames of Sony. It's really annoying. I don't even own a PS3 and I still think it's stupid to call them Phony or $ony (even though the problem had nothing to do with money). It wasn't funny when people started using M$ as a nickname for Microsoft, and it's not funny now. Thank you.

P.S. I'm not a fanboy of any kind, so I'm not defending either side.

greenitedaze

Dec 2, 2010
nipsen said:
Emergent said:
At this point the only person we can definitely blame is the hack writer who posted the title to this article. This is irresponsible, sensationalist journalism, and the man should be called out for what he did: LIE about a news story to get more attention. "Admits private info is stolen" my ass.

To borrow from Orwell:
You're right.. they specifically don't admit anything, they simply tell people to panic just in case their info has been stolen - which they may or may not know about.

Sony's PR department at it's very best again.

And why would we stop them? This is too funny.[/quot

The funnier thing is that it doesn't matter which bullshit we read, we still react to the headline not the facts

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Ha, way
Awexsome said:
Dorkmaster Flek said:
Awexsome said:
Good ol' hackers. Fighting for your consumer rights against the evil corporation that takes away your rights...

Oh wait they have been douchebags the whole time in this case. Nevermind. Fuck you Geohotz for probably causing all this by releasing that code. If not then you certainly encouraged it.
You mind explaining how a hack to run homebrew code on your PS3 enabled the entire security of the PSN to be compromised? Sony's horrendous security is at fault here, not hackers playing homebrew code.
The PSN was obviously prepared for stuff like this to happen before hence no massive issues like this yet.

It wasn't prepared to deal with hackers potentially having the end all be all code that jailbreaks the PS3.
PS3 owners deserve to treat their system like their PC without getting dragged into court
No, they don't get to. Deal with it.

Because a few bad apples spoils the bunch. A sad truth but look what happened here. Blame the people who would exploit it if Sony opened the doors to everyone, not Sony for trying to protect everyone's security.
Yes. they do. It's a computer, people have a right to look into how their computers work at the code level and talk about it. If they want so much control over people's property, then they can charge less for it or lease it for 10 bucks a month.

Just because people make viruses for PCs doesn't mean software engineers should be thrown in prison for figuring out and sharing how the window OS works, and you don't see car companies dragging car enthusiasts into court for cracking their car computer to tweak performance.

So yea, Sony isn't special and they're no different than any other hardware manufacturer. Deal with that. Damn kids are being brainwashed into defending some corporate bully who can't even encrypt their customer data. Not even banks let hackers get away with the entire database and they're hacked all the time.
You ever think things are better now? That they don't give people permission to do whatever they want?

It only pisses off a very small amount as most people get what they want from the functionality provided. You ever think that maybe the old ways were worse? Sure the people who love customization take a hit but its a small price to pay for the added security.

I'm not going to convince someone that has lived their entire life thinking that freedom is a given when given a new piece of technology but the times have changed.
I'm not giving up dick because some company can't do what every other damn company does and MAKE A PATCH when they discover someone found an exploit. You're a perfect example as how kids are manipulated by these lazy corporate bastards into thinking people need to give up more freedom as technology advances and finding an exploit in the company's hardware is something that needs to be punished.

Fuck that and fuck them. They can't punish people because they screw up and don't move fast enough to fix it like every other company out there. Apple doesn't prosecute jailbreakers, they just update the firmware.
Of course. Lazy corporate bastards.

Y'know they're not evil bad guys. As much as you lie to yourself they aren't actively trying to screw you over. They're trying to do what's best for everyone and the people who want stuff like you want are an extreme minority now.

I know you want to think that you're preaching one of the last hopes of a rapidly decaying videogame industry but you're not. You're just someone with another opinion.

If you were trying to run a business with unknown number of hackers always trying to be a step ahead of you and steal your products or ruin your services for their own personal gains what would you do? Keep fighting the same fight until the end of time? Because your solution isn't realistic or efficient.

If you're just going to be stubborn and only think of them as the "evil corporate bastards" then we're done here.
I call them "Evil corporate bastards" when they act like it, and they certainly are when they punish a guy for just sharing information, when they convince people they don't have any right to do anything with the device they paid hundreds of dollars for simply because they company says so and has the money to bully people who do learn everything about it and expose problems with it instead of using those resources to protect customer data at the most basic levels. They don't care about the customer, only how much control they have over them.

But they are trying to screw everyone over in the days of "profit at all costs", just look at the oppressed communist workers and children they employ to make the devices.
The sharing information and convincing other people not to abuse it are completely exclusive to each other. This is the internet we're talking about. You probably trust Sony about as much as they trust you, a random person on the internet. The kind of person that Geo released that code to.

Releasing the code and saying "Oh, I don't intend any wrong." does NOT dismiss him of the wrong he did.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Meh, I don't play multi-player games on PS3 and I've never used PSN so I'm not worried.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
IronStorm9 said:
I would just like to put a preemptive stop to all mocking nicknames of Sony. It's really annoying. I don't even own a PS3 and I still think it's stupid to call them Phony or $ony (even though the problem had nothing to do with money). It wasn't funny when people started using M$ as a nickname for Microsoft, and it's not funny now. Thank you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal

The Sony BMG CD copy protection scandal concerns the copy protection measures included by Sony BMG on compact discs in 2005. Sony BMG included the Extended Copy Protection (XCP) and MediaMax CD-3 software on music CDs. XCP was put on 52 titles and MediaMax was put on 50 titles. This software was automatically installed on Windows desktop computers when customers tried to play the CDs. The software interferes with the normal way in which the Microsoft Windows operating system plays CDs by installing a rootkit which creates vulnerabilities for other malware to exploit. This was discovered and publicly revealed by Mark Russinovich on the Sysinternals blog.

Sony made a rootkit that left customer computers vulnerable to viruses and malware and they weren't publicly humiliated or scolded by expensive lawyers. They deserve whatever they get and no defense whatsoever from people who have short memories

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Nurb said:
You're a perfect example as how kids are manipulated by these lazy corporate bastards into thinking people need to give up more freedom as technology advances and finding an exploit in the company's hardware is something that needs to be punished.
Kids? Kids!? The same kids who are all about breaking the rules and going against authority? The same kids who drink underage and do illegal drugs but are rarely ever punished? The same kids who need to get the fuck over the fact that rules exist in order to keep peace and prevent themselves from ruining there lives? You're talking about those kids? I may be focusing a bit too much on this part of your post, but if you're gonna comment on today's youth, then know what the hell you're talking about.

OT: Never supported hackers, never will, especially being the elitist bunch that they are.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
Holy fuck. I'm glad that the last credit card I registered to the PSN expired a couple of months ago; no way am I putting the new one in now. I think I'm gonna keep playing xbox...

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Dango said:
Nurb said:
You're a perfect example as how kids are manipulated by these lazy corporate bastards into thinking people need to give up more freedom as technology advances and finding an exploit in the company's hardware is something that needs to be punished.
Kids? Kids!? The same kids who are all about breaking the rules and going against authority? The same kids who drink underage and do illegal drugs but are rarely ever punished? The same kids who need to get the fuck over the fact that rules exist in order to keep peace and prevent them from ruining there lives? You're talking about those kids? I may be focusing a bit too much on this part of your post, but if you're gonna comment on today's youth, then know what the hell you're talking about.

OT: Never supported hackers, never will, especially being the elitist bunch that they are.
If by kids you mean "people under 30" then that does match up pretty well to the demographic that has been arguing this. The number one offender seems to be 15 year old fans of Ayn Rand, with a smattering of older people of different backgrounds.

greenitedaze

Dec 2, 2010
Nurb said:
IronStorm9 said:

What pulls my plums is poor spelling, not Phony, pony or sony.
Love Phony fan club. x

Th

pokepuke

Dec 28, 2010
MattAn24 said:
Because that's how it was DESIGNED to be. Not to be fucked around with like other things CAN be.
Despite having OtherOS as a feature on the box since its inception.....

Homebrew only happened around this generation of consoles because people decided to fuck with the consoles now that they were online.
Nope and nope.

The Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis.. All those retro consoles WERE NOT FUCKED WITH.
Just because you're not old enough to remember those eras doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Because people actually RESPECTED the games industry.
They respected it so much that they sent their Playstations off to get a modchip installed so they could bypass region codes and even play burnt copies of games.

Granted, I -have- seen SOME decent homebrew stuff that DOESN'T fuck with the console, but why homebrew stuff when other things supply it just fine? Why make it possible to play SNES games on a PS3 when the Wii is perfectly capable of doing it, while still being from the company it was designed by?
Doesn't matter why. There are a million reasons. If it can be done, then why not?

Making it possible to play SNES, etc games on a PS3 is a legal nightmare, because you're playing Nintendo games on a Sony console when you can just as easily play them on a Nintendo console with NO PROBLEM.
Your "because" wasn't a because at all. It doesn't matter. There is no law or any kind of rule that you have to play game on the system they were designed for. You need a license to own the game, you don't need a license to play it.

vivster

Oct 16, 2010
and yet sony and all of its clients will live on
isn't this world beautiful

looks like we people are really too well off when we are raising hell about a potential NOTHING instead of how we will find food tomorrow

screamers gonna scream and paranoia's gonna noid

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Ha, way
Awexsome said:
Dorkmaster Flek said:
Awexsome said:
Good ol' hackers. Fighting for your consumer rights against the evil corporation that takes away your rights...

Oh wait they have been douchebags the whole time in this case. Nevermind. Fuck you Geohotz for probably causing all this by releasing that code. If not then you certainly encouraged it.
You mind explaining how a hack to run homebrew code on your PS3 enabled the entire security of the PSN to be compromised? Sony's horrendous security is at fault here, not hackers playing homebrew code.
The PSN was obviously prepared for stuff like this to happen before hence no massive issues like this yet.

It wasn't prepared to deal with hackers potentially having the end all be all code that jailbreaks the PS3.
PS3 owners deserve to treat their system like their PC without getting dragged into court
No, they don't get to. Deal with it.

Because a few bad apples spoils the bunch. A sad truth but look what happened here. Blame the people who would exploit it if Sony opened the doors to everyone, not Sony for trying to protect everyone's security.
Yes. they do. It's a computer, people have a right to look into how their computers work at the code level and talk about it. If they want so much control over people's property, then they can charge less for it or lease it for 10 bucks a month.

Just because people make viruses for PCs doesn't mean software engineers should be thrown in prison for figuring out and sharing how the window OS works, and you don't see car companies dragging car enthusiasts into court for cracking their car computer to tweak performance.

So yea, Sony isn't special and they're no different than any other hardware manufacturer. Deal with that. Damn kids are being brainwashed into defending some corporate bully who can't even encrypt their customer data. Not even banks let hackers get away with the entire database and they're hacked all the time.
You ever think things are better now? That they don't give people permission to do whatever they want?

It only pisses off a very small amount as most people get what they want from the functionality provided. You ever think that maybe the old ways were worse? Sure the people who love customization take a hit but its a small price to pay for the added security.

I'm not going to convince someone that has lived their entire life thinking that freedom is a given when given a new piece of technology but the times have changed.
I'm not giving up dick because some company can't do what every other damn company does and MAKE A PATCH when they discover someone found an exploit. You're a perfect example as how kids are manipulated by these lazy corporate bastards into thinking people need to give up more freedom as technology advances and finding an exploit in the company's hardware is something that needs to be punished.

Fuck that and fuck them. They can't punish people because they screw up and don't move fast enough to fix it like every other company out there. Apple doesn't prosecute jailbreakers, they just update the firmware.
Of course. Lazy corporate bastards.

Y'know they're not evil bad guys. As much as you lie to yourself they aren't actively trying to screw you over. They're trying to do what's best for everyone and the people who want stuff like you want are an extreme minority now.

I know you want to think that you're preaching one of the last hopes of a rapidly decaying videogame industry but you're not. You're just someone with another opinion.

If you were trying to run a business with unknown number of hackers always trying to be a step ahead of you and steal your products or ruin your services for their own personal gains what would you do? Keep fighting the same fight until the end of time? Because your solution isn't realistic or efficient.

If you're just going to be stubborn and only think of them as the "evil corporate bastards" then we're done here.
I call them "Evil corporate bastards" when they act like it, and they certainly are when they punish a guy for just sharing information, when they convince people they don't have any right to do anything with the device they paid hundreds of dollars for simply because they company says so and has the money to bully people who do learn everything about it and expose problems with it instead of using those resources to protect customer data at the most basic levels. They don't care about the customer, only how much control they have over them.

But they are trying to screw everyone over in the days of "profit at all costs", just look at the oppressed communist workers and children they employ to make the devices.
The sharing information and convincing other people not to abuse it are completely exclusive to each other. This is the internet we're talking about. You probably trust Sony about as much as they trust you, a random person on the internet. The kind of person that Geo released that code to.

Releasing the code and saying "Oh, I don't intend any wrong." does NOT dismiss him of the wrong he did.
Yes, it does actually. Having and sharing knowledge, even that which can be used for harmful purposes is not illegal and a basic right in a free society covered by the first amendment. Do you have any idea how dangerous it is to punish people for just knowing something? Besides, it's why Jackass can't get shut off the air when copy cat kids kill themselves recreating a stunt. You've got no clue what you're talking about.

Oh and THE IRONING IS DELICOUS

The Sony BMG CD copy protection scandal concerns the copy protection measures included by Sony BMG on compact discs in 2005. Sony BMG included the Extended Copy Protection (XCP) and MediaMax CD-3 software on music CDs. XCP was put on 52 titles and MediaMax was put on 50 titles. This software was automatically installed on Windows desktop computers when customers tried to play the CDs. The software interferes with the normal way in which the Microsoft Windows operating system plays CDs by installing a rootkit which creates vulnerabilities for other malware to exploit. This was discovered and publicly revealed by Mark Russinovich on the Sysinternals blog.

Sony made a rootkit that left customer computers vulnerable to viruses and malware and they weren't publicly humiliated or scolded by expensive lawyers. They deserve whatever they get and no defense whatsoever from people who have short memories.

Karma's a *****.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
headshotcatcher said:
Yes, it was Sony who put PSN down and stole all your credit card information. They basically gave the info away, right?

No they didn't, it got HACKED, I.E gotten through illegitimate means.. Sony can't do anything about it, and that's why PSN is down and they're designing a new network now.

Is it 'Sony stole your credit card information'? No. It's 'Hackers stole your credit card information'.

Besides, if you do believe it's Sony's fault, you're the one who gave them the credit card information in the first place.. (yes I know that's a fallacy but think about it :p)
You know, I was going to use this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FopyRHHlt3M] on you, but I can discern a single coherent statement out of your comment there.

I'm not blaming Sony for this, I'm blaming the hackers. Furthermore why the hell would you say this is our faults?
Now listen to me carefully... We gave our information to purchase things on PSN IN GOOD FAITH THAT THIS WOULDN'T HAPPEN!

This is NOT our faults, this is Sony's fault for not having a secure enough system.
Even if you "think about it :p" this is still not our faults. Sony should have had a secure enough system for this to not happen. Sure you can't have a completely foolproof system but you can sure as hell have a better one than what Sony had.
I'm sorry if I'm coming off as furious, but comments like this piss me right off.

If you shop at Amazon.com and you use your card to buy something and then Amazon is hacked it is not your fucking fault.

.... goosefrabaaaa.....

Okay, I'm calm now.

IronStorm9

Jun 15, 2010
Nurb said:
IronStorm9 said:

Sony made a rootkit that left customer computers vulnerable to viruses and malware and they weren't publicly humiliated or scolded by expensive lawyers. They deserve whatever they get and no defense whatsoever from people who have short memories
Way to totally misinterpret what I said. I'm not on any side, I just want people to stop calling Sony stupid nicknames. Or was all you read the part where I said that the problem wasn't about money?

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
IronStorm9 said:
Nurb said:
IronStorm9 said:

Way to totally misinterpret what I said. I'm not on any side, I just want people to stop calling Sony stupid nicknames. Or was all you read the part where I said that the problem wasn't about money?
I'm saying they deserve some mocking for acting like hypocrits