Sony Admits Private PSN Info Has Been Stolen - All Of It

Hong Meiling

Oct 29, 2009
Look guys, Sony just left all our data out in the open up for grabs, eh? Oh, they're sorry about it. It's such an inconvenience isn't it? Ha ha!

What happens is average joe grabs something that belongs to sony? Oh man, then sony gets mad, gotta get their lawyers and use the harshest words possible.
I don't care about hackers or corporations, all I know is that I trusted my data with sony and they fucked up bad.

They fucked up so bad I'm at a loss of words.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
killamanhunter said:
for those of you who are complaining people are switching sides, heres the thing: most people take the winning side no matter what, say you're watching a hockey game and the score is 8-0 (****in sharks) anyway you'd probably root for the team up by 8 rather than the team who probably could have won the series there if they weren't idiots...

point is you take the winning side, hackers fighting for your right to homebrew your PS3 as long as you don't go on PSN to Sony trying to get PSN back up and secure as much of your stuff as possible.
Sadly there is no winning side in this situation, everyone loses. Sony is seen as incompetent, and will probably never regain trust with a lot of their customers. The hackers just come off looking like low-life criminal scum. And let's not forget us gamers who got caught up in the middle of this dick waving contest. We are going to suffer the most from the fallout... in fact we already are.

Kadamon

Feb 8, 2009
EcksTeaSea said:
Nice secure system there Sony. Way to fuck up. At least RRoD only killed your system and didn't give out all your information at the same time.

Oh and I am still supporting the people who did this. How do you leave such a glaring issue in the system without fixing it? Thats asking for trouble. At least now Sony has to get their system together. If it didn't happen now, it was going to somewhere down the line and Sony still would have done nothing about it until then. Great company.
Wow, so you're supporting the people who could be selling people's credit card numbers right now? Also, you have no damn clue as to WHAT this issue was, or if it was even an issue to begin with. You're blaming a company for an individual that's NOT EVEN RELATED TO THE COMPANY.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
brainslurper said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Now...if they've been withholding information and knew this was stolen last week...that's a dick move and Sony's at fault for not informing us ASAP.
maybe they only got the information recently
Keyword: IF

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Well, I'll just watch my bank records closely for a few months, change my card, and change my PSN password when I get online. I'll change my Netflix and e-mail passwords, too. Just to be safe. Since they were the same as my PSN password.

The rest of the info is pretty much public domain, anyway.

I still fail to see how being hacked is Sony's fault. They got hacked. And it's not like we know the details of the security systems that were in place, either. It couldn't have been an easy hack, though.

Now...if they've been withholding information and knew this was stolen last week...that's a dick move and Sony's at fault for not informing us ASAP.
Pretty much this. I mean credit card companies get hacked all the time but people don't go bat shit crazy over that. Its inconvenient, don't get me wrong, but its a fact of life in the digital age we live in. Deal with it and move on.

Korey Von Doom

May 18, 2008
Torque669 said:
Korey Von Doom said:
Torque669 said:
Wow ... This is just horrendous. They waited a week to tell anyone this, the flippin' idiots ... I dont know how PS3 "fanboys" can even attempt to rectify this. I heard arguments saying that it was "Free" and as such "Shouldnt complain its down" but just because its free doesnt mean people should lose credit card information.

I cant even come up with any idea how Sony are going to make this up to their customers.
You defeated your own argument, it's free thus not having to enter credit card information.

Also blaming someone for getting hacked is stupid.
People entered their credit card information to buy stuff from the Playstation Store. Christ...

I was more annoyed that they waited a week to tell anyone that their accounts could be compromised ... Should they have not told this earlier so people who HAD put their credit card information on to purchase products from the store could prepare and warn their bank about things such as this happening ...
I've bought plenty from the store without a card, just using the prepaid cards from the store.

Bakuryukun

Jul 12, 2010
pokepuke said:
Bakuryukun said:
Also People seem to be majorly butthurt about the fact that they can't hack the console they say that you should be able to do whatever you want with your own property, the only thing is that applies only to things that are purely about the system, the second that the network itself (which IS owned by Sony) is involved or could be involved. Sony has the right to do what it pleases. You can mod a car, but you can't mod it so far that it may affect it's safety on the road. Besides, Why would you even want to mod a PS3 like a PC? PC's are already way better for modding than PS3 will EVER be.
What would you mod a PC for? It can already do tons of shit! And hey, by the way, dude, the "mod" sought after was really just a way to bring back features Sony removed from the console for no good reason.

P.S. I hope you weren't suggesting that PS3 mods affect the PSN network. That would be wrong. Not just a little wrong, but a lot.
uh no...that wasn't what I was saying at all. Features like Other OS can be used to exploit Sony's network, so Sony can justify taking it down as part of protecting their network, now I'm not saying I necessarily AGREE with features being removed, as a matter of fact I don't at all, but that's how it goes. The more of a networked service gaming becomes the less we will have rights as consumers, it's unfortunate but that's the nature of a service as opposed to a sold product. In the end, If you don't want to play by Sony's rules no ones forcing you to play the game. As for things like PS2 backwards compatibility being removed, that one is pretty obvious, they realized the PS2 was still sellin' like hotcakes.

Belated

Feb 2, 2011
omega_peaches said:
Trigger1221 said:
Okay, I have to throw in my two cents here, to everyone saying 'down with hackers' 'this is geohotz's fault' 'who supports hackers now??'

Let me clarify something for you all, Geohotz, who modified a system in order to increase it's potential did NOT enable this in anyway. Hackers in general, are not malicious, they create, they program, they aren't 'bad' at all, they help actually. Now CRACKERS on the other hand, destroy. These cyber criminals weren't hackers at all, they didn't create anything or modify anything for the betterment of it. They destroyed their way into the PSN, and retrieved sensitive information. Stop acting like you know what you're talking about when you talk about hackers, Geohotz was a hacker, or a modder to whoever wants to call him that, not a cracker. Don't act like crackers are expected to be 'better' than this either, it's called crime, and just because it's over the internet doesn't make it any less malicious.
Sorry, because I messed up because I didn't know something, I am a pretentious idiot that doesn't know what he's talking about.
Do you really think that Geohotz's leaking of the code didn't affect this at all?
Also: Hackers Hack, is hacking my info not hacking?
Ok. So if a lady got raped, and the judge ruled in favor of her rapist even though there was totally enough evidence to convict him, and then as a result, some angry women said "Because you let that rapist get away, we're going to hurt people now", and then they blew up a school building, would you blame the rape victim for that? Because by your logic, the rape victim is at fault in this case because she somehow magically provoked those women to blow up a school building.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Mumorpuger said:
Wouldn't it be hilarious if it was George Hotz who stole the info?
Hilarious for who? The people that would fucking lynch him if it was true?

greenitedaze

Dec 2, 2010
This is this weeks 'no fly zone' or is it regime change?

It doesn't actually matter whose fault it is anyway. It's everyones.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Ha, way
Awexsome said:
Dorkmaster Flek said:
Awexsome said:
Good ol' hackers. Fighting for your consumer rights against the evil corporation that takes away your rights...

Oh wait they have been douchebags the whole time in this case. Nevermind. Fuck you Geohotz for probably causing all this by releasing that code. If not then you certainly encouraged it.
You mind explaining how a hack to run homebrew code on your PS3 enabled the entire security of the PSN to be compromised? Sony's horrendous security is at fault here, not hackers playing homebrew code.
The PSN was obviously prepared for stuff like this to happen before hence no massive issues like this yet.

It wasn't prepared to deal with hackers potentially having the end all be all code that jailbreaks the PS3.
PS3 owners deserve to treat their system like their PC without getting dragged into court
No, they don't get to. Deal with it.

Because a few bad apples spoils the bunch. A sad truth but look what happened here. Blame the people who would exploit it if Sony opened the doors to everyone, not Sony for trying to protect everyone's security.
Yes. they do. It's a computer, people have a right to look into how their computers work at the code level and talk about it. If they want so much control over people's property, then they can charge less for it or lease it for 10 bucks a month.

Just because people make viruses for PCs doesn't mean software engineers should be thrown in prison for figuring out and sharing how the window OS works, and you don't see car companies dragging car enthusiasts into court for cracking their car computer to tweak performance.

So yea, Sony isn't special and they're no different than any other hardware manufacturer. Deal with that. Damn kids are being brainwashed into defending some corporate bully who can't even encrypt their customer data. Not even banks let hackers get away with the entire database and they're hacked all the time.
You ever think things are better now? That they don't give people permission to do whatever they want?

It only pisses off a very small amount as most people get what they want from the functionality provided. You ever think that maybe the old ways were worse? Sure the people who love customization take a hit but its a small price to pay for the added security.

I'm not going to convince someone that has lived their entire life thinking that freedom is a given when given a new piece of technology but the times have changed.
I'm not giving up dick because some company can't do what every other damn company does and MAKE A PATCH when they discover someone found an exploit. You're a perfect example as how kids are manipulated by these lazy corporate bastards into thinking people need to give up more freedom as technology advances and finding an exploit in the company's hardware is something that needs to be punished.

Fuck that and fuck them. They can't punish people because they screw up and don't move fast enough to fix it like every other company out there. Apple doesn't prosecute jailbreakers, they just update the firmware.
Of course. Lazy corporate bastards.

Y'know they're not evil bad guys. As much as you lie to yourself they aren't actively trying to screw you over. They're trying to do what's best for everyone and the people who want stuff like you want are an extreme minority now.

I know you want to think that you're preaching one of the last hopes of a rapidly decaying videogame industry but you're not. You're just someone with another opinion.

If you were trying to run a business with unknown number of hackers always trying to be a step ahead of you and steal your products or ruin your services for their own personal gains what would you do? Keep fighting the same fight until the end of time? Because your solution isn't realistic or efficient.

If you're just going to be stubborn and only think of them as the "evil corporate bastards" then we're done here.
I call them "Evil corporate bastards" when they act like it, and they certainly are when they punish a guy for just sharing information, when they convince people they don't have any right to do anything with the device they paid hundreds of dollars for simply because they company says so and has the money to bully people who do learn everything about it and expose problems with it instead of using those resources to protect customer data at the most basic levels. They don't care about the customer, only how much control they have over them.

But they are trying to screw everyone over in the days of "profit at all costs", just look at the oppressed communist workers and children they employ to make the devices.

nipsen

Sep 20, 2008
Dorkmaster Flek said:
Awexsome said:
Good ol' hackers. Fighting for your consumer rights against the evil corporation that takes away your rights...

Oh wait they have been douchebags the whole time in this case. Nevermind. Fuck you Geohotz for probably causing all this by releasing that code. If not then you certainly encouraged it.
You mind explaining how a hack to run homebrew code on your PS3 enabled the entire security of the PSN to be compromised? Sony's horrendous security is at fault here, not hackers playing homebrew code.
Shh. The panic is so funny to watch.

..besides, Sony has been "legally" selling people's traffic-data to an unnamed external company for months now anyway..

Cronq

Oct 11, 2010
Perhaps if Sony didn't spend so much time and resources on securing their console hardware and instead spent more of their time securing their networks and our personal information then we wouldn't all be in this shit of a mess. Sony gets their console hacked and they send their entire army after a single person and work tirelessly to lock things down and control the situation. Our info gets hacked and Sony offers a shrugged apology and they're done with it...

Fuck You Sony.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Belated said:
Awexsome said:

How do you gather that the PSN hacking has something to do with the actions of Geohotz? Installing Linux - essentially turning your PS3 into a regular computer - doesn't necessarily lead to PSN being hacked. Now it's true that some people speculate Anonymous did this in the name of Geohotz, but remember that Geohotz and Sony settled out of court. There'd be no reason for Anon to intervene. Sure there've been a few videos released on youtube supposedly from them, but how can we know those videos are really from them? They're Anonymous after all. It could just be some prankster playing a joke. And how was Geohotz supposed to know this was going to happen?

And not all hackers can be lumped under "good" or "bad". That's like assuming all construction workers are bad just because one of them kills a man with a rivet gun one day. Some hackers might enjoy fighting for consumer rights, but some of them probably just want to steal money. Hackers are just people who know how to break into things through the internet. They're individuals. Random citizens each with their own motivations. No different than you or I. They have a skill, and they all use that skill for their own reasons.

Sure this could have been done by Anonymous, but you've gotta admit, it would be uncharacteristic of them to go this far. It could just as easily have been done by an illegal immigrant out to steal your identity.
Judging from the reports this whole thing started with custom firmware hacked onto the PS3. Something impossible without that root code that Geo released. The key wasn't for just installing Linux. It allowed for someone with a regular home console to do who knows how much stuff that they aren't allowed to do. Stuff that only developers or Sony themselves could access with a PS3.

And I never put the blame on Anon or anything. Nor all hackers in general. But they've been spearheading the effort acting like they're here to save us from an evil corporation acting against our interests when they have members with worse intentions on their side.

omega_peaches

Jan 23, 2010
Belated said:
omega_peaches said:
Trigger1221 said:
Okay, I have to throw in my two cents here, to everyone saying 'down with hackers' 'this is geohotz's fault' 'who supports hackers now??'

Let me clarify something for you all, Geohotz, who modified a system in order to increase it's potential did NOT enable this in anyway. Hackers in general, are not malicious, they create, they program, they aren't 'bad' at all, they help actually. Now CRACKERS on the other hand, destroy. These cyber criminals weren't hackers at all, they didn't create anything or modify anything for the betterment of it. They destroyed their way into the PSN, and retrieved sensitive information. Stop acting like you know what you're talking about when you talk about hackers, Geohotz was a hacker, or a modder to whoever wants to call him that, not a cracker. Don't act like crackers are expected to be 'better' than this either, it's called crime, and just because it's over the internet doesn't make it any less malicious.
Sorry, because I messed up because I didn't know something, I am a pretentious idiot that doesn't know what he's talking about.
Do you really think that Geohotz's leaking of the code didn't affect this at all?
Also: Hackers Hack, is hacking my info not hacking?
Ok. So if a lady got raped, and the judge ruled in favor of her rapist even though there was totally enough evidence to convict him, and then as a result, some angry women said "Because you let that rapist get away, we're going to hurt people now", and then they blew up a school building, would you blame the rape victim for that? Because by your logic, the rape victim is at fault in this case because she somehow magically provoked those women to blow up a school building.
But if we were following my logic, said woman provoked said rapist.
I see the points that you are making, and I respect it, but I feel that your comparison wasn't quite on point with what I had to say.
If this continues, I might switch to the Xbawks.

Bakuryukun

Jul 12, 2010
Xiado said:
Bakuryukun said:
Xiado said:
Anyone who gets money stolen should take Sony to court.
Or....just change all there passwords like they should be doing periodically anyways, and alert there banks that your credit card info may have been leaked so that they can keep an eye out for oddities in your statements. This actually still isn't a big deal at all.
Of course they should do that, but it's not the consumer's responsibility if Sony loses basically all of the data they have to a hacker. If my identity gets stolen because I gave it to a source that was supposedly secure but failed, Sony has to own up and at least pay back my stolen money.
That would be unnecessary, considering banks can usually reimburse you for money taken via ID fraud, it happened to me once, and to be quite honest so long as your prepared, it's actually a quite easy fix.

Sony will pay in the sense that it will get declining consumer support, that alone will probably be enough to kick their ass in gear.