Sony Admits Private PSN Info Has Been Stolen - All Of It

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Nurb said:
Captain Bobbossa said:
I never understood their supporters.
http://blogs.forbes.com/parmyolson/2011/02/06/anonymous-takes-revenge-on-security-firm-for-trying-to-sell-supporters-details-to-fbi/

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108138-Anonymous-Uncovers-Corruption-in-Wisconsin-Labor-Dispute
This is hardly redeeming evidence.
Sure hackers can do some good but thats like saying Skeletor is a good guy because he didn't kill one puppy after he massacred a town.
Captain Bobbossa said:
I can understand some support when they come to the defense of people who didn't actually do anything wrong, but it's when they pull something like this is when I don't understand why anyone would back hackers doing a move like this.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Torque669 said:
Wow ... This is just horrendous. They waited a week to tell anyone this, the flippin' idiots ... I dont know how PS3 "fanboys" can even attempt to rectify this. I heard arguments saying that it was "Free" and as such "Shouldnt complain its down" but just because its free doesnt mean people should lose credit card information.

I cant even come up with any idea how Sony are going to make this up to their customers.
You're really going to pull this? Xbox Live can be hacked as well, and as far as we know Sony was sizing up the damage before reporting in like any responsible company should. They were HACKED. There is no fault on Sony's part and there's no reason to believe they were not as prompt as humanly possible given the circumstances. You think they have a warning light that pops on for every single account that gets accessed sitting on their front desks? Even BANKS fail to catch identity theft until the card holders themselves report it, so Sony is doing better than BANKS who we trust with our money on a daily basis.

Green Bunny

Mar 1, 2011
As a user of the PSNetwork and one that has bought things with my credit card on it I am furious about this. If there was even a CHANCE that my card info was taken I should have known about it a week ago. Even if they were wrong and had to say, "Sorry for freaking you out" that would have been better than not knowing to watch my bank statement like a hawk since then.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Captain Bobbossa said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Ha, way
Awexsome said:
Dorkmaster Flek said:
Awexsome said:
Good ol' hackers. Fighting for your consumer rights against the evil corporation that takes away your rights...

Oh wait they have been douchebags the whole time in this case. Nevermind. Fuck you Geohotz for probably causing all this by releasing that code. If not then you certainly encouraged it.
You mind explaining how a hack to run homebrew code on your PS3 enabled the entire security of the PSN to be compromised? Sony's horrendous security is at fault here, not hackers playing homebrew code.
The PSN was obviously prepared for stuff like this to happen before hence no massive issues like this yet.

It wasn't prepared to deal with hackers potentially having the end all be all code that jailbreaks the PS3.
PS3 owners deserve to treat their system like their PC without getting dragged into court
No, they don't get to. Deal with it.

Because a few bad apples spoils the bunch. A sad truth but look what happened here. Blame the people who would exploit it if Sony opened the doors to everyone, not Sony for trying to protect everyone's security.
Yes. they do. It's a computer, people have a right to look into how their computers work at the code level and talk about it. If they want so much control over people's property, then they can charge less for it or lease it for 10 bucks a month.

Just because people make viruses for PCs doesn't mean software engineers should be thrown in prison for figuring out and sharing how the window OS works, and you don't see car companies dragging car enthusiasts into court for cracking their car computer to tweak performance.

So yea, Sony isn't special and they're no different than any other hardware manufacturer. Deal with that. Damn kids are being brainwashed into defending some corporate bully who can't even encrypt their customer data. Not even banks let hackers get away with the entire database and they're hacked all the time.
You ever think things are better now? That they don't give people permission to do whatever they want?

It only pisses off a very small amount as most people get what they want from the functionality provided. You ever think that maybe the old ways were worse? Sure the people who love customization take a hit but its a small price to pay for the added security.

I'm not going to convince someone that has lived their entire life thinking that freedom is a given when given a new piece of technology but the times have changed.
I'm not giving up dick because some company can't do what every other damn company does and MAKE A PATCH when they discover someone found an exploit. You're a perfect example as how kids are manipulated by these lazy corporate bastards into thinking people need to give up more freedom as technology advances and finding an exploit in the company's hardware is something that needs to be punished.

Fuck that and fuck them. They can't punish people because they screw up and don't move fast enough to fix it like every other company out there. Apple doesn't prosecute jailbreakers, they just update the firmware.
Of course. Lazy corporate bastards.

Y'know they're not evil bad guys. As much as you lie to yourself they aren't actively trying to screw you over. They're trying to do what's best for everyone and the people who want stuff like you want are an extreme minority now.

I know you want to think that you're preaching one of the last hopes of a rapidly decaying videogame industry but you're not. You're just someone with another opinion.

If you were trying to run a business with unknown number of hackers always trying to be a step ahead of you and steal your products or ruin your services for their own personal gains what would you do? Keep fighting the same fight until the end of time? Because your solution isn't realistic or efficient.

If you're just going to be stubborn and only think of them as the "evil corporate bastards" then we're done here.
I call them "Evil corporate bastards" when they act like it, and they certainly are when they punish a guy for just sharing information, when they convince people they don't have any right to do anything with the device they paid hundreds of dollars for simply because they company says so and has the money to bully people who do learn everything about it and expose problems with it instead of using those resources to protect customer data at the most basic levels. They don't care about the customer, only how much control they have over them.

But they are trying to screw everyone over in the days of "profit at all costs", just look at the oppressed communist workers and children they employ to make the devices.
The sharing information and convincing other people not to abuse it are completely exclusive to each other. This is the internet we're talking about. You probably trust Sony about as much as they trust you, a random person on the internet. The kind of person that Geo released that code to.

Releasing the code and saying "Oh, I don't intend any wrong." does NOT dismiss him of the wrong he did.
Yes, it does actually. Having and sharing knowledge, even that which can be used for harmful purposes is not illegal and a basic right in a free society covered by the first amendment. Do you have any idea how dangerous it is to punish people for just knowing something? Besides, it's why Jackass can't get shut off the air when copy cat kids kill themselves recreating a stunt. You've got no clue what you're talking about.

Oh and THE IRONING IS DELICOUS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal

The Sony BMG CD copy protection scandal concerns the copy protection measures included by Sony BMG on compact discs in 2005. Sony BMG included the Extended Copy Protection (XCP) and MediaMax CD-3 software on music CDs. XCP was put on 52 titles and MediaMax was put on 50 titles. This software was automatically installed on Windows desktop computers when customers tried to play the CDs. The software interferes with the normal way in which the Microsoft Windows operating system plays CDs by installing a rootkit which creates vulnerabilities for other malware to exploit. This was discovered and publicly revealed by Mark Russinovich on the Sysinternals blog.

Sony made a rootkit that left customer computers vulnerable to viruses and malware and they weren't publicly humiliated or scolded by expensive lawyers. They deserve whatever they get and no defense whatsoever from people who have short memories.

Karma's a *****.
I don't see a connection.

Sony screwed up a while back by making a crappy product that put people at risk. Shame on them.

This somehow makes them responsible for other people committing identity fraud?

Besides considering that rootkey just basic "knowledge" isn't true. Just like how all these people's identity's are just "knowledge" right? The rootkey was Sony's not the consumers to use.
No connection?
Sony makes a rootkit (code) that leaves people vulnerable to hackers and viruses without telling them = No consequences

Customer makes a video that exposes code that will leave Sony's databases vulnerable to hackers and viruses = "KILL THE MESSENGER IN A HAIL OF LAWSUITS AND DON'T CHANGE SECURITY TO PROPERLY PROTECT CUSTOMER DATA!"
You are an idiot.

They have a really obvious point. So my bank details are just "knowledge" that sony has and it would be perfectly ok to just let someone else know what they are? No, that's apsolute rubbish. Even though you are the anti-sony troll that you are how can you not see that Geo is not in the wrong here? He has provided information to the world that could potentially (and probably did) expose very private and dangerous information of thousands and thousands of people. Wether he should be sued or not isn't even in question here, the fact is he should never have released that informaion. What if it was a bank instead of sony? What if it was your bank? Would you still be holding to your guns then? What if Geo gave your credit/debit card details over to some random stranger, would you still be sticking to your guns about this? I doubt it.
Your bank details? That isn't knowledge. It's data.

Knowing how to hack in and take it is knowledge. Sharing the information to hack banks is legal, but if anyone uses the information to attack a bank, then it's punishable. Besides, banks protect their customer data better than Soney at least.

Like I said, you don't know what you're talking about.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Kadamon said:
EcksTeaSea said:
Kadamon said:
EcksTeaSea said:
Nice secure system there Sony. Way to fuck up. At least RRoD only killed your system and didn't give out all your information at the same time.

Oh and I am still supporting the people who did this. How do you leave such a glaring issue in the system without fixing it? Thats asking for trouble. At least now Sony has to get their system together. If it didn't happen now, it was going to somewhere down the line and Sony still would have done nothing about it until then. Great company.
Wow, so you're supporting the people who could be selling people's credit card numbers right now? Also, you have no damn clue as to WHAT this issue was, or if it was even an issue to begin with. You're blaming a company for an individual that's NOT EVEN RELATED TO THE COMPANY.
If it was an issue to begin with? The stupidity of this sentence boggles me because if someone can make away with everyones information thats not an issue is it? How silly of me. I'm blaming a company who couldn't realize something of this magnitude could happen. I have said to three times now and I will say it to you. If someone makes out with a bit of information, thats normal. It happens to everyone company, happened with Valve with Half Life 2 even. Now when all of the information of every PSN user (according to the article) gets taken thats not the individual's problem for going in and exploiting that, thats Sony's problem for not realizing it. People trust their info to them and they are supposed to protect it. They failed, that simple.
I'm not saying the info being stolen was a problem (it definitely is), I'm talking about the security. Hackers are evolving day to day, and as boring as a hobby as it is, it's still attracting more people. No system is secure enough to be hacker-proof forever.
True hackers evolve day to day, but a company isn't supposed to let all of their users information get out, let alone if credit card numbers are involved in this. Protect the big things and let the little things go. I don't see the same happening to Nintendo or Microsoft or Apple with their security.

Captain Bobbossa

Jun 1, 2009
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Nurb said:
Captain Bobbossa said:
http://blogs.forbes.com/parmyolson/2011/02/06/anonymous-takes-revenge-on-security-firm-for-trying-to-sell-supporters-details-to-fbi/

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108138-Anonymous-Uncovers-Corruption-in-Wisconsin-Labor-Dispute
Sure hackers can do some good but thats like saying Skeletor is a good guy because he didn't kill one puppy after he massacred a town.
Captain Bobbossa said:
I can understand some support when they come to the defense of people who didn't actually do anything wrong, but it's when they pull something like this is when I don't understand why anyone would back hackers doing a move like this.
I meant specifically Geo and annonimous, the whinny bitches that they are.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Captain Bobbossa said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Ha, way
Awexsome said:
Dorkmaster Flek said:
Awexsome said:
Good ol' hackers. Fighting for your consumer rights against the evil corporation that takes away your rights...

Oh wait they have been douchebags the whole time in this case. Nevermind. Fuck you Geohotz for probably causing all this by releasing that code. If not then you certainly encouraged it.
You mind explaining how a hack to run homebrew code on your PS3 enabled the entire security of the PSN to be compromised? Sony's horrendous security is at fault here, not hackers playing homebrew code.
The PSN was obviously prepared for stuff like this to happen before hence no massive issues like this yet.

It wasn't prepared to deal with hackers potentially having the end all be all code that jailbreaks the PS3.
PS3 owners deserve to treat their system like their PC without getting dragged into court

Because a few bad apples spoils the bunch. A sad truth but look what happened here. Blame the people who would exploit it if Sony opened the doors to everyone, not Sony for trying to protect everyone's security.
Yes. they do. It's a computer, people have a right to look into how their computers work at the code level and talk about it. If they want so much control over people's property, then they can charge less for it or lease it for 10 bucks a month.

Just because people make viruses for PCs doesn't mean software engineers should be thrown in prison for figuring out and sharing how the window OS works, and you don't see car companies dragging car enthusiasts into court for cracking their car computer to tweak performance.

So yea, Sony isn't special and they're no different than any other hardware manufacturer. Deal with that. Damn kids are being brainwashed into defending some corporate bully who can't even encrypt their customer data. Not even banks let hackers get away with the entire database and they're hacked all the time.
You ever think things are better now? That they don't give people permission to do whatever they want?

It only pisses off a very small amount as most people get what they want from the functionality provided. You ever think that maybe the old ways were worse? Sure the people who love customization take a hit but its a small price to pay for the added security.

I'm not going to convince someone that has lived their entire life thinking that freedom is a given when given a new piece of technology but the times have changed.
I'm not giving up dick because some company can't do what every other damn company does and MAKE A PATCH when they discover someone found an exploit. You're a perfect example as how kids are manipulated by these lazy corporate bastards into thinking people need to give up more freedom as technology advances and finding an exploit in the company's hardware is something that needs to be punished.

Fuck that and fuck them. They can't punish people because they screw up and don't move fast enough to fix it like every other company out there. Apple doesn't prosecute jailbreakers, they just update the firmware.

Y'know they're not evil bad guys. As much as you lie to yourself they aren't actively trying to screw you over. They're trying to do what's best for everyone and the people who want stuff like you want are an extreme minority now.

I know you want to think that you're preaching one of the last hopes of a rapidly decaying videogame industry but you're not. You're just someone with another opinion.

If you were trying to run a business with unknown number of hackers always trying to be a step ahead of you and steal your products or ruin your services for their own personal gains what would you do? Keep fighting the same fight until the end of time? Because your solution isn't realistic or efficient.

If you're just going to be stubborn and only think of them as the "evil corporate bastards" then we're done here.
I call them "Evil corporate bastards" when they act like it, and they certainly are when they punish a guy for just sharing information, when they convince people they don't have any right to do anything with the device they paid hundreds of dollars for simply because they company says so and has the money to bully people who do learn everything about it and expose problems with it instead of using those resources to protect customer data at the most basic levels. They don't care about the customer, only how much control they have over them.

But they are trying to screw everyone over in the days of "profit at all costs", just look at the oppressed communist workers and children they employ to make the devices.
The sharing information and convincing other people not to abuse it are completely exclusive to each other. This is the internet we're talking about. You probably trust Sony about as much as they trust you, a random person on the internet. The kind of person that Geo released that code to.

Releasing the code and saying "Oh, I don't intend any wrong." does NOT dismiss him of the wrong he did.
Yes, it does actually. Having and sharing knowledge, even that which can be used for harmful purposes is not illegal and a basic right in a free society covered by the first amendment. Do you have any idea how dangerous it is to punish people for just knowing something? Besides, it's why Jackass can't get shut off the air when copy cat kids kill themselves recreating a stunt. You've got no clue what you're talking about.

The Sony BMG CD copy protection scandal concerns the copy protection measures included by Sony BMG on compact discs in 2005. Sony BMG included the Extended Copy Protection (XCP) and MediaMax CD-3 software on music CDs. XCP was put on 52 titles and MediaMax was put on 50 titles. This software was automatically installed on Windows desktop computers when customers tried to play the CDs. The software interferes with the normal way in which the Microsoft Windows operating system plays CDs by installing a rootkit which creates vulnerabilities for other malware to exploit. This was discovered and publicly revealed by Mark Russinovich on the Sysinternals blog.

Sony made a rootkit that left customer computers vulnerable to viruses and malware and they weren't publicly humiliated or scolded by expensive lawyers. They deserve whatever they get and no defense whatsoever from people who have short memories.

Karma's a *****.

Sony screwed up a while back by making a crappy product that put people at risk. Shame on them.

Besides considering that rootkey just basic "knowledge" isn't true. Just like how all these people's identity's are just "knowledge" right? The rootkey was Sony's not the consumers to use.
No connection?
Sony makes a rootkit (code) that leaves people vulnerable to hackers and viruses without telling them = No consequences

Customer makes a video that exposes code that will leave Sony's databases vulnerable to hackers and viruses = "KILL THE MESSENGER IN A HAIL OF LAWSUITS AND DON'T CHANGE SECURITY TO PROPERLY PROTECT CUSTOMER DATA!"
You are an idiot.

They have a really obvious point. So my bank details are just "knowledge" that sony has and it would be perfectly ok to just let someone else know what they are? No, that's apsolute rubbish. Even though you are the anti-sony troll that you are how can you not see that Geo is not in the wrong here? He has provided information to the world that could potentially (and probably did) expose very private and dangerous information of thousands and thousands of people. Wether he should be sued or not isn't even in question here, the fact is he should never have released that informaion. What if it was a bank instead of sony? What if it was your bank? Would you still be holding to your guns then? What if Geo gave your credit/debit card details over to some random stranger, would you still be sticking to your guns about this? I doubt it.
Again I say, it shouldn't even have been possible for a PS3, even one that had been jailbroken, to access this data. That is why Sony is more to blame than Geohot. He jailbroke the iPhone too, yet the app store is still up...

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Cyan. said:
Sweet mother of Odin.

Change them credit card numbers boys and girls.
I don't think that's possible? Not immediately, at least. The only thing they can do is call their credit card companies and get a freeze on them until they can get a replacement card, and transfer all the funds (for debit cards, at least) to the appropriate accounts.

Captain Bobbossa

Jun 1, 2009
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Captain Bobbossa said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Ha, way
Awexsome said:
Dorkmaster Flek said:
Awexsome said:

Karma's a *****.

No connection?

You are an idiot.

Again I say, it shouldn't even have been possible for a PS3, even one that had been jailbroken, to access this data. That is why Sony is more to blame than Geohot. He jailbroke the iPhone too, yet the app store is still up...
Nurb said:
Captain Bobbossa said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Ha, way
Awexsome said:
Dorkmaster Flek said:
Awexsome said:

Karma's a *****.

No connection?

You are an idiot.

Knowing how to hack in and take it is knowledge. Sharing the information to hack banks is legal, but if anyone uses the information to attack a bank, then it's punishable. Besides, banks protect their customer data better than Soney at least.

If someone has my bank details (or yours) then they know what they are, knowledge, knowing things, information, data, doesn't make a differance, try acctually reading what I say next time.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Nurb said:
Captain Bobbossa said:

Captain Bobbossa said:
Exposing government corruption that shows they were working with a private security company to blackmail journalists that support wikilieaks isn't redeamable just because some of them do malicious things?

If you're judging people based on a minority, we're all fucked.

Sabiancym

Aug 12, 2010
You people are insane. All of your info is already on the internet. Someone stealing your address from PSN means nothing. The only thing of concern is the credit card info.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Captain Bobbossa said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Captain Bobbossa said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Ha, way
Awexsome said:
Dorkmaster Flek said:
Awexsome said:

Karma's a *****.

No connection?

You are an idiot.

Nurb said:
Captain Bobbossa said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Ha, way
Awexsome said:
Dorkmaster Flek said:
Awexsome said:

Karma's a *****.

No connection?

You are an idiot.

If someone has my bank details (or yours) then they know what they are, knowledge, knowing things, information, data, doesn't make a differance, try acctually reading what I say next time.
First of all, I fail to see where bank details came into this at all; it's a bit of a non-sequiter from the post you initially quoted. Second, my response was in regards to you blaming Geohot for this. Why did you quote me, again?

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Nurb said:
Exposing government corruption that shows they were working with a private security company to blackmail journalists that support wikilieaks isn't redeamable just because some of them do malicious things?

See I can get behind that, but something like this is unforgivable.
A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
Nurb said:
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Nurb said:
Captain Bobbossa said:

Captain Bobbossa said:
Exposing government corruption that shows they were working with a private security company to blackmail journalists that support wikilieaks isn't redeemable just because some of them do malicious things?

we're all fucked anyway doesn't matter what anyone says or does at this point

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Captain Bobbossa said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Captain Bobbossa said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Ha, way
Awexsome said:
Dorkmaster Flek said:
Awexsome said:

Karma's a *****.

No connection?

You are an idiot.

Nurb said:
Captain Bobbossa said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Ha, way
Awexsome said:
Dorkmaster Flek said:
Awexsome said:

Karma's a *****.

No connection?

You are an idiot.

UGH... yes it does. If they have your data, then they used their knowledge illegally. You're attempt to try and twist this around isn't working.

Reading the Anarchists Cookbook = Not a crime
Making a bomb after reading the book = A crime

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
Nurb said:
Captain Bobbossa said:
You are an idiot.

They have a really obvious point. So my bank details are just "knowledge" that sony has and it would be perfectly ok to just let someone else know what they are? No, that's apsolute rubbish. Even though you are the anti-sony troll that you are how can you not see that Geo is not in the wrong here? He has provided information to the world that could potentially (and probably did) expose very private and dangerous information of thousands and thousands of people. Wether he should be sued or not isn't even in question here, the fact is he should never have released that information. What if it was a bank instead of sony? What if it was your bank? Would you still be holding to your guns then? What if Geo gave your credit/debit card details over to some random stranger, would you still be sticking to your guns about this? I doubt it.

You're telling him he doesn't know what he's talking about when the words you're saying are absolutely ludicrous!

What GeoHotz did is inexcusable. Just because it's there, doesn't give ANYONE the right to go for the jugular and obtain it! It's not there to be spread around, he shouldn't have even been searching for it in the first place! Nothing he's done has been "right" or "moral"! If anything, he's been completely the opposite. In D&D terms, he can only be classified as Chaotic Evil.

After all, knowledge IS power. You use that irresponsibly, you're the idiot that spread it to others.

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
MattAn24 said:
Nurb said:
MattAn24 said:
Nurb said:
Oh, that "first amendment" that doesn't exist anywhere else outside the United States of WE'RE THE FUCKING WORLD, NO ONE ELSE IS, FUCK ALL Y'ALL BASTARDS HURR DURR DURR HURR! *even more benign American nonsense*
Wow, and you call Americans assholes. If you don't have basic freedoms that is your own problem to solve
I live in Australia. Gun ownership (among many other things) is -extremely- strict. We seem to be a lot better off here than the crap that happens in America... Just saying.
Then explain your wildlife that runs rampant.
You have mice that eat old people and Rabbits that destroy entire crops...
And then Dingos and possums,etc. such a horrid place due to the wildlife.