Sony Admits Private PSN Info Has Been Stolen - All Of It

hardband

Nov 21, 2009
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

GOD DAMN IT! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH!

Sorry for the rage, but I don't react knowing a stranger has all my info, possibly including credit card! I really hope it was all a joke and it was GlaDoS who caused it to go down :(

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
Hmm. I guess my parents refusing to use their credit card on the psn was a good thing after all.

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
Korten12 said:
So, wonder who supports the Hackers now...
I do.

Do you still support the police even though a few brutalize citizens?
Do you still support the military even though a few murder civilians?

Any group big enough will have bad cells. I'm still grappling with some of that myself as I am very distrustful of the plice because of those few bad ones. But even I acknowledge that they're not all bad, and neither are hackers.

Alade

Ego extravaganza
Aug 10, 2008
Let's see someone defend XBL against PSN after this... I am amused.

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
Awexsome said:
Good ol' hackers. Fighting for your consumer rights against the evil corporation that takes away your rights...

Oh wait they have been douchebags the whole time in this case. Nevermind. Fuck you Geohotz for probably causing all this by releasing that code. If not then you certainly encouraged it.
Korten12 said:
So, wonder who supports the Hackers now...
erbkaiser said:
Awexsome said:
Good ol' hackers. Fighting for your consumer rights against the evil corporation that takes away your rights...

Oh wait they have been douchebags the whole time in this case. Nevermind. Fuck you Geohotz for probably causing all this by releasing that code. If not then you certainly encouraged it.
Well said.

Absolute fail on Sony's part as far as security is concerned, but the "hacker" scene and their supporters are the ones really to blame here. It's alas probably an idle hope these criminals will get caught and get their just deserts (death penalty preceded by torture would be nice).

Gonna have to cancel my creditcard I guess :(
Sebster 105 said:
I still think it's the retards at Anon
and to think a fortnight ago they were all "We're on your side, really"

I know Anon said it wasn't them but who buys that?
Less trolling plz.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
This is why I almost never use a credit card online. The possiblity of it happening to me may be little, but its still fucking there!

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
insanelich said:
Awexsome said:
Okay, so you got any evidence of these accusations?

Or any evidence at all to support your outlandish claims? No? Thought so.
Before George Hotz posted the PS3 root keys, there was no custom firmware. By his cracking and extortion attempt he is directly responsible for this current disaster as whoever is behind this new attack wouldn't have been able to compromise the PSN without Hotz's work.

Salem_Wolf

Jul 9, 2009
Some people mention the security of Xbox Live, well remember they had the service since the original Xbox days, PSN is new to Sony and they're working on it. I suspect after this they'll be a lot wiser in their security. Besides, sites like Amazon, Paypal, and Facebook have all been the targets of hackers and stolen personal information, nothing is invulnerable, but it's the hacking that gets them to learn.

Aside from that, Sony mentioned there is no real evidence to support the theft of Credit Card information, they are merely erring on the side of caution. Better to be paranoid about it than to shrug and not give a damn.

cardinalwiggles

is the king of kong
Jun 21, 2009
such a bad debacle purpetrated by few for not much gain in the long run, i can't beleive sony has to rebuild the entire psn infrastructure, it will cost them millions let alone trying to sort of the whole deal with geohotz 's doing. this has just plain spiralled out of control. the playstation has just had the bad luck of having everything that COULD go wrong GO wrong. i have to say sony needs to step in and give the playstation users some kind of assurance that this is being dealt with not only to stop happening but that they are being caught

Baradiel

Mar 4, 2009
Erm... Oh dear. Thank God I'm not on PSN. I'd probably be worried round about now.

If this is really bad, as in really bad , this is incredibly bad news for Sony (along with everyone else of course).

Sony have always had this thing of reliability. It was the benefit of paying extra for a PS3. You were pretty much guaranteed to have it work for years, survivng chainsaws and tactical nuclear weapons.

And then... this monumental cock up.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Onyx Oblivion said:
Well, I'll just watch my bank records closely for a few months, change my card, and change my PSN password when I get online. I'll change my Netflix and e-mail passwords, too. Just to be safe. Since they were the same as my PSN password.

The rest of the info is pretty much public domain, anyway.

I still fail to see how being hacked is Sony's fault. They got hacked. And it's not like we know the details of the security systems that were in place, either. It couldn't have been an easy hack, though.

Now...if they've been withholding information and knew this was stolen last week...that's a dick move and Sony's at fault for not informing us ASAP.
I foresee pointless Sony hate. Damn hackers.

silasbufu

Aug 5, 2009
If it's one thing we have learned, it's that anything can get hacked. If you want to throw the blame on Sony, the only fair thing to say is that they gave someone a reason.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
zxBARRICADExz said:
shoulda bought a 360 :O

dont get me wrong... i love my ps3's games.. but the security of the 360 and XBL is quite alot more hardcore than the PSN..

hopefully they upgrade it to deflect lazers from the eyes of satan once it's back up and running..

PS... i hope sony burns in a courtroom for this... and then has LG and MS urinate on the ashes :)
I own a 360, but rarely use PSN solely for my PSP, for I do not own a PS3. duz i won internets lulz?

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
MattAn24 said:
Korten12 said:
While Sony should have had better protection of this, I love how so many are blaming them and not the hackers...
THIS. THISTHISSOMUCHTHIS. WHAT THE FUCK. THE AMOUNT OF THIS IS SO MUCH TRUTH THAT IT IS SUPER THIS, GUYS.

Fucking idiots.. If you're blaming Sony for this, you're retarded. Plain and simple. Hackers need to shut the fuck up and stop being malicious thieves..

Uh... Some clarfication..?

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
I'd like to see Sony's plans for customer retribution for this BEYOND incredible fuck up.

When they discovered the extent of the breach I wonder what that meeting was like... maybe like this:

Sony IT Guy: Well sir, we finished our forensics analysis on the extent of the data breach.

Sony Manager: Okay, so what're we looking at? Something simple like usernames, emails, possibly passwords?

Sony IT Guy: Everything was compromised.

Sony Manager: *After a pregnant pause* You mean, usernames, emails AND passwords were exposed?

Sony IT Guy: Well, THAT, and full contact information and any credit cards that they had on file from previous purchases.

Sony Manager: ...Okay. Send that report to the press department. I'm off to the Applebees bar for the 5th night in a row.

Omeene

Oct 14, 2009
MattAn24 said:
Korten12 said:
While Sony should have had better protection of this, I love how so many are blaming them and not the hackers...
THIS. THISTHISSOMUCHTHIS. WHAT THE FUCK. THE AMOUNT OF THIS IS SO MUCH TRUTH THAT IT IS SUPER THIS, GUYS.

Fucking idiots.. If you're blaming Sony for this, you're retarded. Plain and simple. Hackers need to shut the fuck up and stop being malicious thieves..
You can easily blame both, as most people are. You don't have to verbally blame criminals because its usually implied, but when a company gets all personal information stolen (And a massive company like Sony) you have every right to blame the company. Both are at fault, for different reasons.