Sony Announces Redesigned PlayStation 3

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
CoL0sS said:
Cheapest PS3 slim is around $450 here and I shudder to think how much 500GB version is gonna cost. I only hope this makes "older" models a bit cheaper.
0_o Where do you live, exactly? That seems like exorbitant pricing on something that was $300 at release a few years ago.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
If it miraculously get cheaper for my country (as in less than $384), I'll may consider getting one of these.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
I got my 250 slim for $200 new on Amazon almost two years ago. Why the hell are these things still so expensive?

Skyy High

Dec 6, 2009
Jhooud said:
Macgyvercas said:
My 60GB model still works. And is backwards compatable to boot. Why should I buy another one?
My exact situation! The only reason I'd buy another PS3 at this point in the life cycle would be if old reliable finally gave up the ghost. It's running great, has plenty of room on the hard drive, and plays all my old PS/PS2 games.
Mine just died. =(

Not sure if it's worth repairing or if I should "upgrade", but I'm going to miss the backwards compatibility (which I doubt it'd keep if I sent it in to Sony).

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
Easton Dark said:
CoL0sS said:
Cheapest PS3 slim is around $450 here and I shudder to think how much 500GB version is gonna cost. I only hope this makes "older" models a bit cheaper.
0_o Where do you live, exactly? That seems like exorbitant pricing on something that was $300 at release a few years ago.
I may have exaggerated a bit. I looked up current exchange rates and it's more like $400 :)
I guess it comes down to demand, delivery costs, exchange rates, current EU and individual retailer pricing.

I'm probably complaining because it's pretty expensive when compared to our standard. Then again at least I have a part time job so I can put aside some money, which means I'm better off than most. To answer your question I live in Croatia. Amazing, beautiful place for a vacation. Very fucked-up place to live and grow up in.

Jhooud

Someone's Dad
Nov 29, 2011
Skyy High said:
Jhooud said:
Macgyvercas said:
My 60GB model still works. And is backwards compatable to boot. Why should I buy another one?
My exact situation! The only reason I'd buy another PS3 at this point in the life cycle would be if old reliable finally gave up the ghost. It's running great, has plenty of room on the hard drive, and plays all my old PS/PS2 games.
Mine just died. =(

Not sure if it's worth repairing or if I should "upgrade", but I'm going to miss the backwards compatibility (which I doubt it'd keep if I sent it in to Sony).
You should at least check into a repair - might end up saving some money. At least when my fat PS2 died, the slims were cheaper with the same functionality. I'd just hate to have to replace the system when I have a strong suspicion that this time next year we'll be talking about upgrading to PS4s and X720s.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
DeltasDix said:
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Screw that. Just get a refurbished PS3 off Amazon and pick up a 1TB Sata HDD while you're at it. Once they both arrive install the 1TB Sata to your PS3 and you've got a better PS3 at roughly the same cost.
Why would you put in 1TB? I couldn't imagine anyone using more than 100GB.
Two reasons.
1.) Because you can
2.) If you're a gamer like me you've already used 200GB of the 500GB. I play and keep a LOT of games.

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
That you can't access the 12GB of onboard flash memory after you install a hard drive is just inane Sony-brand pseudo-logic. Why, why is that a thing? I can't fathom the logical conclusions that lead to that being necessary, or a good idea. I mean, I sort of understand a 12GB verion, if it's much cheaper, because maybe you have an old HDD lying around that would work, or want a bigger or smaller HDD than 500GB, but locking the internal memory just seems arbitrary and bureaucratic.

Otherwise my opinion on the announcement is a resounding, nothing. Why is it "Classic" White? If a question counts as an opinion, that's it. If you don't have a PS3 already, get a second hand one, even a fat version. They rarely die, mines going strong still, as are all my friends and acquaintances.

Gizen

Nov 17, 2009
Wait, really? They actually made it more expensive? I don't care if it comes with things bundled in with it now, or if the difference is only 20$, consoles are supposed to get cheaper as they reach the end of their lifecycles, not pricier.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
This must be a move to boost sales of the current slim PS3. "Buy the better PS3 now before they are all gone and replaced by this cheaper yet more expensive model".

If this is how Sony intends to compete against the WiiU, they are in trouble.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
same tactic as microsoft making the payment policy for the xbox
so they can overlap the generations and make more cash over the long run
and to make people buy both systems

personally i wouldn't do it, but if people are buying their first console
then it's just poor timing for them

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Unnescesary considering that we are almost at the end of the lifespan of the 7th generation consoles.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
NezumiiroKitsune said:
That you can't access the 12GB of onboard flash memory after you install a hard drive is just inane Sony-brand pseudo-logic. Why, why is that a thing? I can't fathom the logical conclusions that lead to that being necessary, or a good idea. I mean, I sort of understand a 12GB verion, if it's much cheaper, because maybe you have an old HDD lying around that would work, or want a bigger or smaller HDD than 500GB, but locking the internal memory just seems arbitrary and bureaucratic.
i can think of a few good reasons,
it may very well be locked so developers don't have to then make patches or workarounds to find old save data from a specific drive, so reliability issues

or sony don't want to write a program that lets you link multiple hard-drives because people could exploit it by making programs run off secondary drives

it has to be some random technical reason, it wouldn't be because they don't want you having 12gb more space that's insanity!

Faladorian

May 3, 2010
Wow. Good job, Sony.

And to think I actually wanted a PS3...

Well, we'll just have to wait until the next model of PS3 comes out in December,

---

THE PS3 ANOREXIC!

New features include:

-No disk drive

-No controller

-No hard drive

-No processor

-No RAM

-Proprietary PS3A-HDMI Adapter (Not included)

-Proprietary PS3A-AC Adapter (Not included)

-Proprietary External hard drives (Starting now at only $350 per gigabyte)

-Fully upgradeable to include the WHOLE PS3A LOGO! (Starting at $50 per letter; $75 per number)

With such an amazing system starting at only $700, if you buy it before 2013 you'll get the screws put into the system by us, free of charge! [sub](Extra weight for shipping systems with screws in them may cause the retail price to increase)[/sub]

Deathlyphil

Mar 6, 2008
Do the people at Sony actually think about what they are doing or saying, or do they just pluck things out of the air?

"$300 for 6 year old tech, yeah that sounds good."

"Those European guys won't mind paying more and getting less yet again, will they? I mean, it's not like there is a vast, world-wide network that will allow them to see how badly we treat them compared to the rest of the world."

Only thing that is missing is a list of features that they will be removing this time.

(so you don't think I'm a fanboy, I queued up at midnight to get my fat ps3. You know, the one that can play ps2 games. Still running fine)