Sony Apologetic Over UK Price Cuts

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
oliveira8 said:
There's a difference betewen good and fancy food. And there is neither in the UK. Mhahhaha!

And while the Euro made things here more expensive compared to Escudos(The old coin in Portugal) you got more money in larger quantiteis without knowing.
I just googled Portuguese food. looks very tasty, and apparently you influenced shrimp tempura for the Japanese so you get my thanks for that, but I still don't see it as being anything better than English food. I love non English food but to me it's just food I don't play favourites.

There is a difference between badly cooked food and bad food.

Oh, and rice pudding for christmas!? and you say we have bad food?

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Nerf Ninja said:
oliveira8 said:
There's a difference betewen good and fancy food. And there is neither in the UK. Mhahhaha!

And while the Euro made things here more expensive compared to Escudos(The old coin in Portugal) you got more money in larger quantiteis without knowing.
I just googled Portuguese food. looks very tasty, and apparently you influencd shrimp tempura for the Japanese so you get my thanks for that, but I still don't see it as being anything better than English food. I love non English food but to me it's just food I don't play favourites.

There is a difference between badly cooked food and bad food.
It's usually a big cultural change for the rest of Europe to go to England and see that there's really nothing outstanding in the food department.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
oliveira8 said:
Nerf Ninja said:
oliveira8 said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
But your cooking is AWFULLL! Actually you people don't even know how to eat properly! I know a person who owns a restaurant in London and the most requested dish is fish'chips or cod fish with something, even when she can cook great portuguese dishes for a bargain! You couldn't spot good food even if it was punching you in the face!

British people have no tastes in food. The only thing close to that is a chef that curses alot and calls everyone a Donkey.

BAD FOOD I TELL YOU! JOIN THE EURO!
It always amuses me whenever someone mentions british cooking they immediately claim it's all bad but i've yet to find another country who's food is all that much better. it's food, who gives a shit if it's all fancy and in small portions or spicy or in large portions or whatever. It's food not art.

Why would joining the Euro mean our food would improve? would our fish and chips taste nicer because they cost more?

Yorkshire Puddings. Cornish Pasties. Full English Breakfast. Spitroast Boar. Spotted Dick. We invented the Roast Dinner.

You know that Christmas/Thanksgiving roast dinner? Yeah, you can thank England for that.

"No good food" indeed. Gee Tee Eff Oh with your silly thoughts.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Amnestic said:
oliveira8 said:
Nerf Ninja said:
oliveira8 said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
But your cooking is AWFULLL! Actually you people don't even know how to eat properly! I know a person who owns a restaurant in London and the most requested dish is fish'chips or cod fish with something, even when she can cook great portuguese dishes for a bargain! You couldn't spot good food even if it was punching you in the face!

British people have no tastes in food. The only thing close to that is a chef that curses alot and calls everyone a Donkey.

BAD FOOD I TELL YOU! JOIN THE EURO!
It always amuses me whenever someone mentions british cooking they immediately claim it's all bad but i've yet to find another country who's food is all that much better. it's food, who gives a shit if it's all fancy and in small portions or spicy or in large portions or whatever. It's food not art.

Why would joining the Euro mean our food would improve? would our fish and chips taste nicer because they cost more?

Yorkshire Puddings. Cornish Pasties. Full English Breakfast. Spitroast Boar. Spotted Dick. We invented the Roast Dinner.

You know that Christmas/Thanksgiving roast dinner? Yeah, you can thank England for that.

We don't have thanksgiving or eat roast for Christmas where I live.

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
oliveira8 said:
It's usually a big cultural change for the rest of Europe to go to England and see that there's really nothing outstanding in the food department.
I'm only going by my own opinions here but maybe there isn't anything outstanding to other cultures in that the English don't put as high a stock into food beyond not starving?

I could be completely incorrect on that and I will tell you that I'm actually thinking about looking for a portuguese restaurant now. (I doubt I'll find one in Birmingham though)

I don't mind if I'm proved wrong, it means I've learned something new :)

damselgaming

Feb 3, 2009
Um... £250 is not that much. People should stop bitching about it and just get a job... damn hippies.

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
Amnestic said:

You can't beat a good Cornish pasty. They've opened a proper cornish pasty shop in the Birmingham city centre, it looks like a high end clothing store I must visit there soon.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
oliveira8 said:
*snip*

We don't have thanksgiving or eat roast for Christmas where I live.
My point was that the UK has churned out plenty of good dishes if you care to look. Roast dinners are widely popular. Just because you don't happen to eat them doesn't mean that others don't.

And what's wrong with fish 'n' chips from the local chippy anyway? Sure it might not be the most glamourous of meals but it's filling and tasty. What more do you want?

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Nerf Ninja said:
oliveira8 said:
I'm only going by my own opinions here but maybe there isn't anything outstanding to other cultures in that the English don't put as high a stock into food beyond not starving?

I could be completely incorrect on that and I will tell you that I'm actually thinking about looking for a portuguese restaurant now. (I doubt I'll find one in Birmingham though)

I don't mind if I'm proved wrong, it means I've learned something new :)
Well theres parts of Europe that you go visit and one of the part of the trip is try out the food. Going to Italy and not taste their food, is the same as going to London and fail to see Big Ben.

And some potuguese dishes besides the ones that involve sea food are really heavy.

Also we have these things(called Pasteis de Nata), in which the best in zee world can only be found in Lisbon on a distict called Belem:

Theres not many words to describe how good they are.* *Does the Homer Simpson drool thing*

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
nova18 said:
arkwright said:
we should have never given the British empire away.
Damn right old bean, everywhere would use the Queens currency and there would be none of this conversion rate bullshit.
Activision are doing the same with Modern Warfare 2, saying that they need to charge more to make up for the british pound not being as strong anymore.

BRITAIN IS STILL STRONG.
WE BEAT THE NAZIS YOU KNOW.

Still, this old boy isnt going to complain, stiff upper lip.
At least they dropped the price eh?
We need to bring out the foreigner trashing stick again; those damned Johnny Foreigners are getting uppity again!

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
oliveira8 said:
Well theres parts of Europe that you go visit and one of the part of the trip is try out the food. Going to Italy and not taste their food, is the same as going to London and fail to see Big Ben.

And some potuguese dishes besides the ones that involve sea food are really heavy.

Also we have these things(called Pasteis de Nata), in which the best in zee world can only be found in Lisbon on a distict called Belem:

Theres not many words to describe how good they are.* *Does the Homer Simpson drool thing*
Ha! I actually went to London and didn't go see Big Ben :)

Is that an egg custard tart? if it is we have those all over Britain. I wasn't aware that was portuguese if so I love those.

Sorry to anyone annoyed that I've completely derailed the topic.

KaiRai

Jun 2, 2008
FinalGamer said:
It's official. Sony fucking hate the UK. I knew it, my grudge was not in vain, they actually hate us, I thought it was Europe but oh no, it's us.
It's ok about europe, we hate them too.
But Sony!? Why do you continue to fuck us over!?

KaiRai

Jun 2, 2008
Nerf Ninja said:
Amnestic said:

You can't beat a good Cornish pasty. They've opened a proper cornish pasty shop in the Birmingham city centre, it looks like a high end clothing store I must visit there soon.
Oh my god I'm from Birmingham! Where is this fucking magical place of which you speak!?

GodDAMNIT I love Cornish Pasties :D

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Nerf Ninja said:
Excuse me. It is NOT flaming. Otherwise posts with people telling Sony to piss off wouldn't be tolerated Yet such posts litter the forums and people continue to think they're the only gougers. Seriously gets annoying after awhile. Now stop trying to start an argument. I was only expressing an opinion. Or is that not tolerated either?

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
KaiRai said:
Oh my god I'm from Birmingham! Where is this fucking magical place of which you speak!?

It's on Corporation street near that stupid new era shop, it's all black and gold (Cornwalls colours apparently)

KaiRai

Jun 2, 2008
Nerf Ninja said:
KaiRai said:

It's on Corporation street near that stupid new era shop, it's all black and gold (Cornwalls colours apparently)
awesome :D It could have only been better if they had actually made it in the place of that shitty new era shop haha....

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
In general I think Sony tends to rate the price of their consoles by the price of what they could get for the blu ray components by selling regular blu-ray players. Some people (like believe it or not, my parents) will pay 2x as much for a relatively low end dedicated blu-ray player than they would buy a PS-3 because despite being gamers the PS-3 is a "toy" and they feel is less capable of playig blu-ray movies or whatever.

I think there is enough of this sentiment where they market accordingly, and they (more or less rightfully) believe they can make more money for the same components by using them in another device.

Speaking soley for myself I have an original issue 60 GB PS-3 sitting next to my 360 Elite right now (I wasn't alwayd disabled). Truthfully my biggest fear is that if my PS-3 dies I won't be able to play my PS-2 games anymore because the new PS-3 systems are not backwards compadible with PS-2. Thus I'd need to wind up buying TWO consoles to do what my current one will (and right now affording one will be a chore, next gen I will have to be a lot more picky if I can find some way to manage it).

As it is, I feel they are being cheap by omitting the PS-2 components to begin with. Truthfully all of these price drops mean little to me given that they have already reduced the quality of the unit accordingly.

What's more, the only ones who can really say what Sony is actually making (or "losing") for money on console sales or whatever is Sony. However my experience is that one of the reasons why the global economy is such a mess today isn't so much because of any given politician, but because companies have started to view "profit" in terms of growth, and expected growth. Simply making more money than you started with is not enough, you have to meet the planned growth or you "lost" money. Granted some of this is caused by the fact that companies borrowed money and such based on projected growth, but in most cases it's just BS. Companies going out of business for "losing money" are oftentimes just not making as much money as quickly as the investors would like.

I get tired of hearing how they are losing X amount of $ on each unit sold or whatever, when as far as I can tell that amount of lost money is simply the differance in price between a PS-3 unit and the more expensive, yet less sophisticated Blu Ray player they could have made from the same components.

-

As far as British cooking goes, truthfully people eat what they like. There is nothing wrong with the cooking of most nations, especially prosperous ones that wind up with a choice (ie not eating purely domestic products that might in some cases amount to grubs and such). I don't see how anyone can really "knock" someone for eating fish and chips if they like that better than say portugese cooking or whatever.

Food snobs are some of the most ridiculous fellows out there, basically saying you shouldn't eat something because THEY Think there is something better.

-

As far as the Euro goes, I actually think Britan did the right thing by sticking with the pound.

Truthfully I see The Euro as being a disaster waiting to happen despite the conveinence. What's more it came with the pretensions of Europe trying to turn itself again into a pre-eminant economic power by trying to get most of global finance to go through the ECM (European Common Market) as opposed to Wall Street. In general a pretty antagonistic move on a lot of levels because it's threatening the economic dominance of America which is totally based on trade and finance nowadays (and if that global focus shifts more it could be very bad).

I think to some extent Britan, or at least elements of the goverment, realizes that despite all arrogant pretensions, you need America and as far as nations go we've actually been a good friend (this is comparitively speaking, no need to America Bash. Britan in comparison wasn't half as nice as we were when they basically occupied the same position). Especially with some of the short sighted views people are having of the far East (namely China). Creating more of a resource/trade war than is absolutly nessicary is a bad thing.

I know many will disagree, but those are my basic thoughts on the subject. Yes, it's annoying, and involves getting slammed on some things like console prices, but in the
overall scheme of things that's pretty minor.

To put things in somewhat off the wall terms, you have Europeans looking at things like the ancient "Cyberpunk 2020" with world finance shifting to the Euro. You have the asians looking at other visions with "Nuyen" or the equivilent of "Hong Kong Dollars". Then you've got others looking at all of that and going "you know they call all of that a 'dark future' for a reason" and instead want to keep things relatively stable. :)

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
Pendragon9 said:
Nerf Ninja said:
Excuse me. It is NOT flaming. Otherwise posts with people telling Sony to piss off wouldn't be tolerated Yet such posts litter the forums. Now stop trying to start an argument. I was only expressing an opinion. Or is that not tolerated either?
That shouldn't be allowed either in my opinion and forgive me but I saw it as flaming, it's not like you're not an ardent supporter of the PS3 is it?

I didn't want an argument it just seems to me (Opinion) that you take as much pleasure in pisssing on the xbox as those that flame the PS3 do and that it feels as though your knee jerk reaction is to bash the xbox before making a contribution.

And before you say it, yes I know several posts about food is hardly a useful contribution.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Nerf Ninja said:
oliveira8 said:

Ha! I actually went to London and didn't go see Big Ben :)

Is that an egg custard tart? if it is we have those all over Britain. I wasn't aware that was portuguese if so I love those.

Sorry to anyone annoyed that I've completely derailed the topic.
It's a type of Egg custard tart but when compared they taste completly different.It's the Portuguese version of the Egg Custard Tart and it's unique to Portuguese bakery. But the shop I mentioned does really make the best Pasteis de Nata(Is what we call them.) in the world. And it's the only one to hold the so called "secret recipie". They even have a thingie on display to prove it they are the masters of it.
Eating one is like having a party inside your mouth. They soo good...even better if they freshly made cause they all warm and feel "fuzzy"...and with cinnamon on top...HMMMMMM I'm hungry now.

They be selling them for almost 200 years.

Some Wikipedia knowlodge:

Pastel de Nata is a type of egg tart found throughout Portugals pastry shops or cafes.

It is believed that it was created before the 18th century by Catholic Monks at the Jeronimos Monastery of Belem, in Lisbon . The Casa Pasteis de Belem in Lisbon was the first place outside the convent selling the original creamy dessert, after the monastery was closed in 1820, and there they are called Pasteis de Belem, after the name of the area and its famous bakery. Since 1837, locals have gone there to get them warm out of the oven and sprinkled with the cinnamon and powdered sugar. These are very popular, with tourists waiting in excess of 3 hours for them.