Sony Calls Out Microsoft Over First-Party Development

Fablaam

Apr 12, 2009
Hey Sony it's called business, they pay for exclusivity, they can have exclusivity. Stop whining.

toapat

Mar 28, 2009
the thing is, i can see this being true, because if it wasnt, wouldnt Gears of War and Gears of War 2 be on PS3, Computer, and Mac, not just the Xbox?(i brought up mac because Gear1 is on computer)

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Fablaam said:
Hey Sony it's called business, they pay for exclusivity, they can have exclusivity. Stop whining.
Amazing how willing people are to be cornholed by this stuff. So, if McDonalds had a patent on the hamburger and no-one else could make it, if other restraunt owners said that was a bad thing, you'd tell them to stop whinging?
Yep. Because they screwed up and didn't invent it first. Until the patent ran out and/or they got a license to make the hamburger from McDonalds, it'd be what we call the Law.

For example, the original Steam Engine was patented by Watt, and he prevented all innovation and experimenting, especially in the area of high pressure steam (which he viewed as dangerous). Was it a good thing? Hell no, held back the industrial revolution and the invention of the steam train by about 50 years. Was it his legal right? Yes. Was bitching about it going to change anything other than make people tried of hearing you ***** about it? Hell no.

Basically, I don't know what Sony or Microsoft or anyone else are doing at the moment, I was just taking your example.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Indigo_Dingo said:
Fablaam said:
Amazing how willing people are to be cornholed by this stuff. So, if McDonalds had a patent on the hamburger and no-one else could make it, if other restraunt owners said that was a bad thing, you'd tell them to stop whinging?
Its a tough market out there! But yeah forking out millions of dollars just so your rivals dont get broken DLC is stupid.

ranc0re

Mar 27, 2009
Fanboys assemble! There are multi-billion dollar corporations that need defending!

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Wow. New low for Sony. Are they seriously getting their panties in a twist because they can't get the best deals?

Sometimes I wonder if they forget that gaming is a buisness too.

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
Why must we continue arguing over this time and time again? Why do companies try to act like they are doing anything but trying to steal your money? THEY DO THIS STUFF TO TAKE YOUR MONEY!!!!! Also Ignore everything Indigo_dingo says in these matters, he is far from impartial.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
ranc0re said:
Fanboys assemble! There are multi-billion dollar corporations that need defending!
Bwhaha, yeah, I always think this when a thread like this turns up. Whilst none of us are ever completely immune to 'fanboyism', I do like to think I generally avoid it and [joking]ascend the golden stairway to the gaming heaven of PC gaming, where in we enjoy ourselves, occasionally daning to glance down at the dirty peasant of console gaming below[/joking].

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Fablaam said:
But unlike patenting this isn't a contest of who's gets there first but who has a bigger check, hence the competition part of the "console wars".

but patenting the hamburger is very unlikely since it was hard enough (and they failed, sort of(got money but had to get out of the cookie "wars")) for P&G to patent a specific kind of cookie (two swirl crisp and chewy cookie) that had very detailed plans.

http://cardamomaddict.blogspot.com/2007/01/day-that-really-schmecks-cookies-that.html

Sorry, was the best link I could find.

Simriel

Dec 22, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Simriel said:
Why must we continue arguing over this time and time again? Why do companies try to act like they are doing anything but trying to steal your money? THEY DO THIS STUFF TO TAKE YOUR MONEY!!!!! Also Ignore everything Indigo_dingo says in these matters, he is far from impartial.
So somehow the fact that I'm the only one who grasps the line between actively funding something new and paying to reduce the spread of content makes me far from impartial?
Oh I understand it, I just know from experience you lead the PS3 fanboys. No offence. I respect your contribution to the community and it is a well made point, but you don't listen to well made points AGAINST Sony.

Simriel

Dec 22, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Simriel said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Simriel said:
So somehow the fact that I'm the only one who grasps the line between actively funding something new and paying to reduce the spread of content makes me far from impartial?
Oh I understand it, I just know from experience you lead the PS3 fanboys. No offence. I respect your contribution to the community and it is a well made point, but you don't listen to well made points AGAINST Sony.
Thats because they hardly ever show up. Everyone keeps coming back with "Sony are evil, Sony are whinging, they're just jealous cause they didn't do something like that, the Ps3 has no good games".
I agree, but even when one is put forward you poo poo it. YOu are a Sony Fanboy, and do not give Microsoft a chance. YOu do make good points for sony, unlike the Idiot fanboys, but that does not change that you are one.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Simriel said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Simriel said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Simriel said:
Thats because they hardly ever show up. Everyone keeps coming back with "Sony are evil, Sony are whinging, they're just jealous cause they didn't do something like that, the Ps3 has no good games".
I agree, but even when one is put forward you poo poo it. YOu are a Sony Fanboy, and do not give Microsoft a chance. YOu do make good points for sony, unlike the Idiot fanboys, but that does not change that you are one.
Well said. The sad thing is, when a topic isn't about Sony, Indigo can actually be very percieve and smart. But add Sony into the mix and the blinkers come out. Hell, Sony could announce they plan to release virus clouds into the atmosphere and he'd defend their business model.

Simriel

Dec 22, 2008
Doug said:
Simriel said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Simriel said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Simriel said:
Well said. The sad thing is, when a topic isn't about Sony, Indigo can actually be very percieve and smart. But add Sony into the mix and the blinkers come out. Hell, Sony could announce they plan to release virus clouds into the atmosphere and he'd defend their business model.
Exactly.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Sparrow Tag said:
Wow. New low for Sony. Are they seriously getting their panties in a twist because they can't get the best deals?

Sometimes I wonder if they forget that gaming is a buisness too.
Sometimes I wonder if people will think for a second and stop blaming solely one company on this

Once again, I bring up Microsoft's "Attack [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90335]-s [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90352]" on Sony. Stop trying to pit all the blame on one company. I agree that gaming is a business and Sony shouldn't exactly complain, but just shut up about the whole "A new low for Sony" because everyone seems to forget that every single fucking company does this sort of crap.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Indigo_Dingo said:
Simriel said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Simriel said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Simriel said:
I'm not following you, what are you referring to?
He is saying when Sony is mentioned you cannot see anything besides Sony. Even tho you make good compelling arguments.

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
You know, Sony really needs to shut Koller up. Between this and bitching about the DSi... well, he isn't doing any good for the company.

What about putting some effort into making the platforms more appealing than this crap?

Jumplion said:
Stop trying to pit all the blame on one company. I agree that gaming is a business and Sony shouldn't exactly complain, but just shut up about the whole "A new low for Sony" because everyone seems to forget that every single fucking company does this sort of crap.
Curiously enough, nobody from Nintendo has even bothered answering Koller's bitching about the DSi.