Sony Could Interrupt Your Games With Ads

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
I say old chap said:
Also on dealing with ads, I was around a friend's place years ago watching the tennis, and I saw the best way to deal with ads.

The family would be sitting around, on the ads would come, and one would mute it, and they would then start talking. Completely ignore the ads, not give them the time of day.

Now what, am I going to have to mute the telly, have a chat with probably myself, and wait, as it slows my attempts to play on my day off?
You know when the remote control for televisions was invented ad-agencies FREAKED THE FUCK OUT, they tried to ban the remote control or throw hundreds of millions of dollars at the owner of the patent so they could own it an no one use it. Because they were so afraid of people doing precisely that, muting or channel switching when ads came on with much higher likelihood than if they had to get up and adjust the dial and then sit down again.

Thank goodness he didn't sell the patent to the ad agencies, otherwise they'd have been able to stop ANYONE else making a remote control for any televisions.

Learning the lesson from Google's discrete targeted ads that are so effective, I feel the old ad model of "obnoxious media saturation" an anachronism and ineffective in the 21st century, it needs to disappear. Google makes a LOT of money by only giving users the ads relevant to them and keeping them short and sweet. Sony is like a Dinosaur after the asteroid has hit, it is lumbering on trying to stupidly brute force solutions, while nimble mammals and fast birds steal all the food from under them.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Fucking hell.....the next console generation is just sounding less and less appealing right now.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
So are people really arguing that some ads are ok because you don't notice them? If you don't notice them then they are failures because the purpose of ads is to get your attention.

katana-409

Apr 28, 2010
1337mokro said:
Crono1973 said:
katana-409 said:
Crono1973 said:
katana-409 said:
I'm sorry, but how is this a good idea? I think Rainbow 6 had the best method: when you went online, there were billboards that turned into paid advertisement. And that was fine! I actually liked it!

This will fail. This will fail epically.
How is it a good idea to say "I like billboard ads" and then say this isn't a good idea. The only message they are hearing is that you like the ads that are already there and they reason that you would tolerate more ads.
Because the billboards weren't intrusive. This is.
That's your opinion and not worth debating. What's important is that accepting the billboard ads leads to more ads.
So opinions aren't worth debating? Then please stop because whatever you are saying is an opinion.
katana-409 said:
Crono1973 said:
katana-409 said:
Crono1973 said:
elvor0 said:
Crono1973 said:
katana-409 said:
Crono1973 said:
katana-409 said:
I'm sorry, but how is this a good idea? I think Rainbow 6 had the best method: when you went online, there were billboards that turned into paid advertisement. And that was fine! I actually liked it!

How is it a good idea to say "I like billboard ads" and then say this isn't a good idea. The only message they are hearing is that you like the ads that are already there and they reason that you would tolerate more ads.
That's your opinion and not worth debating. What's important is that accepting the billboard ads leads to more ads.
That's not an opinion though, it's a fact. Billboards are not intrusive, they do not stop gameplay, they are merely part of the scenery, an ad stopping the game is intrusive. Now if we're on about immersion, sure it's down to opinion, one may tolerate it, another may not, but it doesn't make the billboard intrusive.

Personally I don't mind billboard adverts in games where it makes sense, if I'm playing a game set in New York or London, it's perfectly acceptable to see argos shops or adverts for stuff on billboards, because they would be there, they work and to me reaffirm that this is a "real" place. Battlefield 2142 buggered this up though, having adverts for intel dual core processors on billboards in rural french countrysides in the year 2142 just looks fucking stupid.
No really, it's an opinion. I think putting Obama on a billboard in a game is intrusive, see, now it's an opinion.
Nah, that could be considered a different thing because it's politics. I like Ron Paul, for example, and if I were to see him in a game, even if it were just a billboard, i'd think it's pushing an agenda on me.
No, I don't participate in politics. I don't see much difference between the Democrats and the Republicans and feel like the debating is nothing more than a process to keep us all occupied and fighting amongst ourselves while, the real powers that be, do their own thing. I have no political preference at all. I am just saying that I avoid ads in things I pay for. I won't be advertised to in a game that I bought except Pikmin 2 and that's only because it wasn't a problem for me in 2004 when I bought it.
So, just out of curiosity (not trying to stir up the pot here or anything), in Crysis 2, the developer, Crytek, has these in-game billboards advertising their engine, the CryEngine 3. What do you think of that?
I never once noticed those billboard adds. I really never noticed them once, when you mentioned that I had to google it to see if you weren't making that up.

I think that sort of shows you the difference between Billboard advert and Advert that pauses the game and plays itself.

One is easily ignorable and doesn't break the flow of the game. The other is the equivalent of your little brother hitting the pause button to tell you about how much he likes pepsi.
1337mokro said:
Crono1973 said:
katana-409 said:
Crono1973 said:
katana-409 said:

So opinions aren't worth debating? Then please stop because whatever you are saying is an opinion.
katana-409 said:
Crono1973 said:
katana-409 said:
Crono1973 said:
elvor0 said:
Crono1973 said:
katana-409 said:
Crono1973 said:
katana-409 said:

That's not an opinion though, it's a fact. Billboards are not intrusive, they do not stop gameplay, they are merely part of the scenery, an ad stopping the game is intrusive. Now if we're on about immersion, sure it's down to opinion, one may tolerate it, another may not, but it doesn't make the billboard intrusive.

Personally I don't mind billboard adverts in games where it makes sense, if I'm playing a game set in New York or London, it's perfectly acceptable to see argos shops or adverts for stuff on billboards, because they would be there, they work and to me reaffirm that this is a "real" place. Battlefield 2142 buggered this up though, having adverts for intel dual core processors on billboards in rural french countrysides in the year 2142 just looks fucking stupid.
No really, it's an opinion. I think putting Obama on a billboard in a game is intrusive, see, now it's an opinion.
Nah, that could be considered a different thing because it's politics. I like Ron Paul, for example, and if I were to see him in a game, even if it were just a billboard, i'd think it's pushing an agenda on me.
No, I don't participate in politics. I don't see much difference between the Democrats and the Republicans and feel like the debating is nothing more than a process to keep us all occupied and fighting amongst ourselves while, the real powers that be, do their own thing. I have no political preference at all. I am just saying that I avoid ads in things I pay for. I won't be advertised to in a game that I bought except Pikmin 2 and that's only because it wasn't a problem for me in 2004 when I bought it.
So, just out of curiosity (not trying to stir up the pot here or anything), in Crysis 2, the developer, Crytek, has these in-game billboards advertising their engine, the CryEngine 3. What do you think of that?
I never once noticed those billboard adds. I really never noticed them once, when you mentioned that I had to google it to see if you weren't making that up.

I think that sort of shows you the difference between Billboard advert and Advert that pauses the game and plays itself.

One is easily ignorable and doesn't break the flow of the game. The other is the equivalent of your little brother hitting the pause button to tell you about how much he likes pepsi.
I wouldn't make things up; i've been here for only two days. I'd hate to get off on the wrong footing.

willsham45

Apr 14, 2009
I will only be ok with this if it means EVERYTHING is HEAVILY discounted to free. If it is just going to stay the same but with interruptions every x hours or minuets fuck that, Especilly if it stops the game, Movie, ETC to show the clip.

marobidoux

Oct 25, 2010
Maybe this is a good thing after all. There are so many games coming out that we don't have time to play them all. With this ad-infested new generation completely destroying our interest for future games, there will be plenty of time to catch up and enjoy all those missed opportunities... at a discount! Thanks Sony!

Jan 27, 2011
..Ads. In the middle of gameplay.

....So I could be in the middle of lining up a perfect headshot and the-*BLOOP! PLEASE BUY PEPSI*

Or I could be in the middle of a super intense sad moment, and my mourning the loss of the tragic badass character that I think is the most awes-*BLOOP SUBWAY IS THE BEST*

Or I could be building up to the final boss, and just as I'm entering combat, ready to save the wor-*BLOOP PLEASE BUY THIS SWEET FERARRI! ITS THE BEST!*

That is THE. MOST. REDICULOUS. GAME. RELATED. PROPOSAL. EVER.

I've been waiting for an opportunity to use this image I turned into a macro. And I think now is the perfect time.

I mean...Seriously. Ads are annoying enough already (except when properly integrated into the world. Ie, the occasional billboard, pepsi machine, etc). So does ANYONE think that forcibly inserting them into gameplay is going to make people tolerate this?

I swear to mod, if this becomes common practice, I will not buy any game, or any system that forces this upon users. I'm not in the mood to learn how to hack shit to get rid of it, and I don't want to go to jail for it either.

Flight

Mar 13, 2010
No. That is at least five different flavors of Not Cool. At the most, I'd be okay with previews for related games before getting to the menu (with the option to skip/fast forward, of course), but if I'm going to hand over a chunk of change for something, I don't want the bloody thing being interrupted by advertisements.

Free games, maybe. But bought? Absolutely not.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
If the PS4 seriously interrupts your game like that, it's a no-go and they can expect nobody to buy it. Seriously, I fucking hate ads. I don't care what exclusives it has, that's just pathetic.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
RJ 17 said:
Good god.........seriously, if even half the rumors about the next generation of consoles prove to be true, I'd say there's a 95% chance the last console I buy will be the 360 I currently own. >.>
This current console generations bullshit was enough to push me away. I already swore to myself that, unless something drastically changes for the better, my Wii, 3DS, and 360 will be the very last consoles I buy. (funnily enough, I actually get more play-time out of my Gamecube, N64, and Xbox original than I do the current gen consoles)

What really bugs me though is that, even if ALL of the rumors of the next generation of consoles pan out people will STILL flock to them like moths to a flame. Then we'll have people; of whom would normally ***** about DRM and such things; flood forums the 'net over defending everything about the new batch of consoles. Even the "pause your game to show you a pop-up ad" thing.

I hate to say it, but I really am ashamed to call myself a "gamer" now-a-days.

ThePenguinKnight

Mar 30, 2012
Sure, they can interrupt my game with ads I'll just interrupt their cash flow by sticking to older consoles and buying used.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
katana-409 said:
1337mokro said:
Crono1973 said:
katana-409 said:
Crono1973 said:
katana-409 said:

katana-409 said:
Crono1973 said:
katana-409 said:
Crono1973 said:
elvor0 said:
Crono1973 said:
katana-409 said:
Crono1973 said:
katana-409 said:

1337mokro said:
Crono1973 said:
katana-409 said:
Crono1973 said:
katana-409 said:

katana-409 said:
Crono1973 said:
katana-409 said:
Crono1973 said:
elvor0 said:
Crono1973 said:
katana-409 said:
Crono1973 said:
katana-409 said:

I wouldn't make things up; i've been here for only two days. I'd hate to get off on the wrong footing.
I wasn't implying you were making things up. I said I had to Google it just to make sure they were actually in there. Whilst playing Crysis 2 I never once noticed them. So I played through the entire game without ever consciously noticing those adds.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
It's only okay if the game is free & the ads are how they're getting paid. & I'm so sure Sony intends to share the ad revenue with developers.

ThatLankyBastard

Aug 18, 2010
HAHAHAHA! I love this so much!

What will that crazy crazy Sony do next!

More seriously, I've seen this coming for a bit... I'm surprised it hasn't been implemented earlier, and I'm sure the other consoles will follow suit soon... T

It really just comes down to money in the end...