Sony Could Interrupt Your Games With Ads

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
hermes200 said:
Fayathon said:
EDIT: Now that I think on it some more, if it's hardcoded into the hardware I'm never buying the hardware. Not just that, but I'll help anyone I can jailbreak that shit out of their hardware so they don't have to deal with it, this is a terrible idea, and will pretty well just earn the ire of every gamer out there.
Not really. People around here are not in favor of piracy, but its hard to argue about it when the experience they offer is just better...
I personally am against piracy, and if what I've read into this is correct it's not the games themselves that would have these ads, rather it would be the hardware, which is a whole different level of bullshit in and of itself.

My stance is as such: If the ads are in the games, then buy the games to support the developers and then pirate a not-fucked copy. However if it's in the hardware as I think it is, then I support jailbreaking your devices or not purchasing them at all.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Fayathon said:
hermes200 said:
Fayathon said:
EDIT: Now that I think on it some more, if it's hardcoded into the hardware I'm never buying the hardware. Not just that, but I'll help anyone I can jailbreak that shit out of their hardware so they don't have to deal with it, this is a terrible idea, and will pretty well just earn the ire of every gamer out there.
Not really. People around here are not in favor of piracy, but its hard to argue about it when the experience they offer is just better...
I personally am against piracy, and if what I've read into this is correct it's not the games themselves that would have these ads, rather it would be the hardware, which is a whole different level of bullshit in and of itself.

My stance is as such: If the ads are in the games, then buy the games to support the developers and then pirate a not-fucked copy. However if it's in the hardware as I think it is, then I support jailbreaking your devices or not purchasing them at all.
If you buy the games with ads in them, you are just encouraging them to do it more. Why would you do that? Why would you want to support the developers who insert ads into their games?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DustyDrB said:
I don't know if I've seen those. What's an example?
I don't remember a specific example, but EA was doing this tons in games for a while. The last EA game I picked up was KoA, and before that...I don't remember the last one. So....

I THINK Burnout: Paradise did it.

I agree, though. When you take away control, you annoy me. Try to do that so you can advertise some soda to me, you'll make me a bit angry and will lose my business. And it would fail, anyway. I think most gamers would just take that moment to use the bathroom or something.
Pretty much like TV.

I think the biggest "problem" with advertising is that we've learned to tune them out. I can't remember the last ten ads I've seen, and the only ad Captcha from this site whose name I remember is Chevy. I mean, I get those bad boys like ten times in a row. They still don't stick. I don't get cable anymore, because it's too expensive, and I don't watch enough. But the last time I watched commercial TV, I just did something else during the commercials. So yeah, I don't thinks this'll work, for obvious reasons.

This isn't a solution. It probably will make more problems. Like us not buying PS4s. Because I won't support this crap, either.

DVS BSTrD said:
I'll tell you one thing these ads won't make me want to buy: A Play Station 4.
If this is true, I can't wait for the PS4 to launch. I want to see if Sony plays the same denial game this time.

RedEyesBlackGamer said:
It would ruin my experience. I've seen some heart-breaking scenes in games that I'll remember for a long time. Wanna know how to ruin it? Stop in the middle of one to tell me that Dr. Pepper Ten is not for women.
Oh God. I'm dying here. That was hilarious for some reason.

And now I'm picturing this in other media. Bambi's mom gets shot, and suddenly, the frame freezes and you hear "have a happy period!"

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
And this is why PC gaming is king. We have always on DRM & we get day one DLC but i don't think anyone is trying to stop PC games in order to force an advertisement.
the PC Master Race keeps whining that games are being dumbed down for consoles or that games are "shitty console ports." What makes you think you're immune here?

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Secret world leader (shhh) said:
If this happened i would seriously fucking burn my sony products, renounce my console ways and become a PC gam- haha nah, i'd just get an xbox.
LOL, you would get the console that is already overrun with ads. You really think next gen they are going to have less ads?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
doggie015 said:
Because people know that if they put ads such as this into a PC game the game itself will be cracked to have the ads and relevant DRM yanked out within 6 hours of release anyway. At least on consoles you know that removing ads would not be easy due to hardware integration of said ads, however on the PC it would have to be software-only
You know, unless you have a Sony device of some sort, since this mentioned hardware inclusion and did not specify it was PS4 only.

Or other companies see this happening and want in.

Besides, "people will crack it" hasn't stopped always on DRM or the other crap you mentioned.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
Crono1973 said:
Fayathon said:
hermes200 said:
Fayathon said:

If you buy the games with ads in them, you are just encouraging them to do it more. Why would you do that? Why would you want to support the developers who insert ads into their games?
If I'm going to have a game I don't pirate it, no exceptions. If I find a game that has something that offends me to the point of not wanting to support the developers I go without, plain and simple.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Fayathon said:
Crono1973 said:
Fayathon said:
hermes200 said:
Fayathon said:

If I'm going to have a game I don't pirate it, no exceptions. If I find a game that has something that offends me to the point of not wanting to support the developers I go without, plain and simple.
You said:

My stance is as such: If the ads are in the games, then buy the games to support the developers and then pirate a not-fucked copy.

I am confused because your stance has apparently changed between these two posts.

Dr. Mongo

Oct 31, 2011
Yeah, yeah... I promise I will start to rage. When this technology actually - in some far away and more and more hypothetical future - slows down and stops some game I'm playing.
Until then: could somebody please pick up the sack of rice that just fell over in China?

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Terminate421 said:
The only time I don't care to see an ad is at this screen:

You know, the screen where nothing is happening while the map loads?

So long as it doesn't happen when I am pinned down in the middle of a sniper zone, I could give less of a shit. I could imagine the irony when Pepsi is advertised while I am drinking my coke.

Though I also wouldn't care if there was a pepsi billboard stopping Tank Rounds from hitting me.
The problem with that is the developers then have a conflict of interest to make loading times shorter as they will get less ad money. There will be incentive (usually applied by the Publishers) to make more loading times and do NOTHING to make them shorter. The ads with be obnoxious, they will make noises, they will be TOTALLY irrelevant like selling dish washing maintenance to someone playing a first person shooter.

You have to be careful monetising games.

You may think free-to-play gives incentive to sell over-powered game breaking weapons but that is contrary to their objective and that is to get as many people as technologically possible to download the game and play it and keep them hooked. That will not work if they are being constantly killed by rich players who bought OP guns. No, You sell them EVERYTHING about the game except what interferes with players to play fair games against each other. That means no to OP weapons AND no to premium map packs. But anything else from cosmetic, convenience, mod-options, re-play, etc can be sold or earned slowly.

Games are in a POOR position to advertise as they don't really know ANYTHING about their player.

Google is in a good position to make money off advertising as it does a good job both as guessing their interests based on their searches and also on tracking individual users. This is why Google stock exploded when it went on the stock market, their strategy of making money made sense.

But getting someone to log onto a game doesn't say anything about them except they like this game. So don't both trying to open them up to advertisers who will try to sell them ANYTHING! instead take what you know: they like this game enough to play it and sell them stuff TO DO WITH THE GAME! Sell merchandise, sell a single-player campaign episodically, sell server storage for their replays, sell item slots, hats, weapons customisations (that other players can see), tag customisation, etc

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Karloff said:
According to the patent, the invention is intended to be used with "computers, graphic workstations,"
Because when I'm doing Photoshop work I really want to have to watch a freakin' ad. And I can see them try leverage Trusted Computing to make sure you don't have something that subverts the ad....

Gods, I'm starting to think Doctorow was right when he said there was a coming war on general computing [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUEvRyemKSg].

Karloff said:
television, entertainment systems, video game systems, DVRs, media players, home servers,
We now interrupt Grandpa's Message for Suzy's Fifth Birthday Party.mpg for an ad for Kotex.

Karloff said:
video game consoles and the like." The code that transmits the commercials can be hidden away on removable storage devices,
So it's a virus?

Karloff said:
According to the patent, you'll know it's happening when "the game slows down...the user knows to get ready for a commercial,
By swearing and turning off the game. Or going to the bathroom I guess.

Karloff said:
the game then stops, and the commercial is played. After the commercial, the game resumes." In some instances the game "may resume by slowly starting again, which allows the user to remember where he or she was in the game."
Meanwhile, your ass got smoked because you were playing a shooter online.

This? THIS is one of the many reasons I HATE SONY.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Treblaine said:
Terminate421 said:

So long as it doesn't happen when I am pinned down in the middle of a sniper zone, I could give less of a shit. I could imagine the irony when Pepsi is advertised while I am drinking my coke.

Though I also wouldn't care if there was a pepsi billboard stopping Tank Rounds from hitting me.
The problem with that is the developers then have a conflict of interest to make loading times shorter as they will get less ad money. There will be incentive (usually applied by the Publishers) to make more loading times and do NOTHING to make them shorter. The ads with be obnoxious, they will make noises, they will be TOTALLY irrelevant like selling dish washing maintenance to someone playing a first person shooter.

You have to be careful monetising games.

You may think free-to-play gives incentive to sell over-powered game breaking weapons but that is contrary to their objective and that is to get as many people as technologically possible to download the game and play it and keep them hooked. That will not work if they are being constantly killed by rich players who bought OP guns. No, You sell them EVERYTHING about the game except what interferes with players to play fair games against each other. That means no to OP weapons AND no to premium map packs. But anything else from cosmetic, convenience, mod-options, re-play, etc can be sold or earned slowly.

Games are in a POOR position to advertise as they don't really know ANYTHING about their player.

Google is in a good position to make money off advertising as it does a good job both as guessing their interests based on their searches and also on tracking individual users. This is why Google stock exploded when it went on the stock market, their strategy of making money made sense.

But getting someone to log onto a game doesn't say anything about them except they like this game. So don't both trying to open them up to advertisers who will try to sell them ANYTHING! instead take what you know: they like this game enough to play it and sell them stuff TO DO WITH THE GAME! Sell merchandise, sell a single-player campaign episodically, sell server storage for their replays, sell item slots, hats, weapons customisations (that other players can see), tag customisation, etc
Then do it at this screen:

One idea is to do the advertisement the way Microsoft is advertising on the Xbox360 home page, there is a video constantly playing ad's but you don't hear sound until you scroll over to it. Though, the ads now are just ads for Halo 3 and Fable 2 (I guess its for games that are available for download in the marketplace)

By the way, I should mention that I only own a PC and Xbox, however, that does not mean that I won't comment here considering how it may come to other places.

So long as they don't do ads when I am busy trying to figure out the best way to take out a Tank with only a Plasma Pistol, I am okay. Also, the ads must happen when I am not touching my controller, not when I am busy picking a different playlist.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
So it looks like we may have next generation consoles that block used games and have adverts in the game that interupt you playing. You know I think I made the right call jumping ship to pc and I imagine if they really go throw with this more console refugee will be fleeing to pc.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Rex Dark said:
They better keep their ads of my stuff.
I'm already paying for the hardware and the software.
I don't need ads on my pc.
Wait... Does Sony produce anything for PC?
The last time they tried they introduced malware that opened a massive hole in your computers security, and as a result thousands of peoples computers got trashed.

We will have to, once again, turn to pirates for the optimal gaming experience.

Chatboy 91

Feb 25, 2011
Two words: Fuck off.

Sorry, but if I've payed ANY sort of money into a product, you shouldn't be showing me mandatory advertisements. You're treading on thin ice here Sony. I have no qualms dropping consoles all together and focusing on my PC.

Terminate421 said:

They did this same shit in Wipeout HD, look at how long that lasted. They claimed that the ads didn't affect load times, but that was quickly disproven. Afterward they took the ads out because of all the complaints they were getting. (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/sony-removes-in-game-advert-that-increased-load-times)

It's simple, if you've paid any amount of money into a service or product, that service or product should not have any intrusive advertisements. You don't see Netflix shoving ads in before you get to watch your show/movie.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
so we pay for the games, then were forced to watch adverts at random intervals?

Lol. Oh wait your being serious....

There really trying there best to make piracy seem even more appealing. Not only will you not have to pay, you will get a better experience. Well Done Sony, another win for team stupid.

On a side note this is not going to happen...

and i have to add how frustrating do you think it will be just to see your game slow down while your playing it, you've all seen lag before, well this is going to be intentional lag with a advert on top, your not going to buy the products, your just going to be annoyed as all hell.