Sony Could Interrupt Your Games With Ads

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I'm confused. How does this have anything to do with piracy? If the ad technology is in the system's hardware, how would whether your game disc being legit or some crap ripped off the internet matter?

If anything, I feel sorry for the game devs that would inevitably have to build their games with this in mind. It's bound to complicated the process somehow, especially given this "slowing down" crap that's being implemented.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
One has to do with quality & the other doesn't matter to most PC gamers.
Well then, I'm totally mistaken. Surely it won't happen if one is a quality issue and the other doesn't matter to most PC gamers!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Fayathon said:
hermes200 said:
Fayathon said:
EDIT: Now that I think on it some more, if it's hardcoded into the hardware I'm never buying the hardware. Not just that, but I'll help anyone I can jailbreak that shit out of their hardware so they don't have to deal with it, this is a terrible idea, and will pretty well just earn the ire of every gamer out there.
Not really. People around here are not in favor of piracy, but its hard to argue about it when the experience they offer is just better...
I personally am against piracy, and if what I've read into this is correct it's not the games themselves that would have these ads, rather it would be the hardware, which is a whole different level of bullshit in and of itself.

My stance is as such: If the ads are in the games, then buy the games to support the developers and then pirate a not-fucked copy. However if it's in the hardware as I think it is, then I support jailbreaking your devices or not purchasing them at all.
By doing that, you're still sending a message that the adware program works.

My stance is as such: Don't buy the game. Don't pirate the game. Don't play the game. It's only if we stop such habits (and let them know!) that things change. I know it's hard to get over the self-indulgent mindset of the average gamer, but at some point "I want it!" can no longer be a justification for taking this kind of crap.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
Yeah because i said nothing else regarding why those reasons were invalid. Must mean fuck all to someone as wise as you!
they kind of were invalid. For example:

As i said, PC gamers tend to know its a shitty console port. They also don't have as many dumbed down games outside the shitty console port department.
Which, in no way, impacts whether or not this would occur in gaming. You're making a point related to the specific example which does not change the fact that it is done, no matter how much warning or how poorly received it is.

Could you please speak to a meaningful reason for any of your objections being relevant to the prospect of them trying?

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
You know, this would be slightly alright if the games were free. But, they won't be, will they? They'll charge us up the ass and then the media will call us entitled when we, rightfully, complain about it.

Captcha: 'Labour of love' pff.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
Dear Sony and potential purchasers of advertising time on Sony's new console: I appreciate your willingness to save me time in choosing which products to buy. By completely removing yourselves from the pool of vendors I'm willing to engage with in the marketplace, you've greatly simplified my commercial decision-making. Thank you.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Terminate421 said:
Treblaine said:
Terminate421 said:
The only time I don't care to see an ad is at this screen:

You know, the screen where nothing is happening while the map loads?

So long as it doesn't happen when I am pinned down in the middle of a sniper zone, I could give less of a shit. I could imagine the irony when Pepsi is advertised while I am drinking my coke.

Though I also wouldn't care if there was a pepsi billboard stopping Tank Rounds from hitting me.
The problem with that is the developers then have a conflict of interest to make loading times shorter as they will get less ad money. There will be incentive (usually applied by the Publishers) to make more loading times and do NOTHING to make them shorter. The ads with be obnoxious, they will make noises, they will be TOTALLY irrelevant like selling dish washing maintenance to someone playing a first person shooter.

You have to be careful monetising games.

You may think free-to-play gives incentive to sell over-powered game breaking weapons but that is contrary to their objective and that is to get as many people as technologically possible to download the game and play it and keep them hooked. That will not work if they are being constantly killed by rich players who bought OP guns. No, You sell them EVERYTHING about the game except what interferes with players to play fair games against each other. That means no to OP weapons AND no to premium map packs. But anything else from cosmetic, convenience, mod-options, re-play, etc can be sold or earned slowly.

Games are in a POOR position to advertise as they don't really know ANYTHING about their player.

Google is in a good position to make money off advertising as it does a good job both as guessing their interests based on their searches and also on tracking individual users. This is why Google stock exploded when it went on the stock market, their strategy of making money made sense.

But getting someone to log onto a game doesn't say anything about them except they like this game. So don't both trying to open them up to advertisers who will try to sell them ANYTHING! instead take what you know: they like this game enough to play it and sell them stuff TO DO WITH THE GAME! Sell merchandise, sell a single-player campaign episodically, sell server storage for their replays, sell item slots, hats, weapons customisations (that other players can see), tag customisation, etc
Then do it at this screen:

One idea is to do the advertisement the way Microsoft is advertising on the Xbox360 home page, there is a video constantly playing ad's but you don't hear sound until you scroll over to it. Though, the ads now are just ads for Halo 3 and Fable 2 (I guess its for games that are available for download in the marketplace)

By the way, I should mention that I only own a PC and Xbox, however, that does not mean that I won't comment here considering how it may come to other places.

So long as they don't do ads when I am busy trying to figure out the best way to take out a Tank with only a Plasma Pistol, I am okay. Also, the ads must happen when I am not touching my controller, not when I am busy picking a different playlist.
That screen is a lobby for a player-hosted game, that shouldn't even exist in 2012 let alone even 2002. Dedicated servers were the bread and butter of PC gaming, now someone console publishers have convinced millions to host games ON THEIR OWN SYSTEMS with lag going up from around 50ms to around 150ms on average.

Mercifully, in the UK the Xbox dashboard doesn't bombard you with any out-of-system ads, though I understand in America there are ads for everything from cars to air-conditioning units. They aren't remotely targeted, they have no idea what the user's interests, desites or budget is.

I'm just telling you the deeper side of ads: the conflict of interests aspect and the efficiency aspect.

Ads should be sold in places where you know they will be seen by people who will appreciate them. So in a woman's magazine like cosmopolitan that's the place to sell women's makeup. A bus stop is a good place to put an ad for an economical car, as that is someone who wants to go some place and has to take the bus.

You will care about ads when they start compromising you gameplay experience in between killing tanks.

xshadowscreamx

Dec 21, 2011
if there will be ads in future consoles does that mean they will be cheaper...but it will defently put the souless in console.

Nyaliva

euclideanInsomniac
Sep 9, 2010
Dear Sony,

Fuck off.

-Everyone

Seriously though, who buys a DVD/Blu-Ray and thinks "well this is great but I wish it had commercials just like TV!" Absolutely fucking no-one.

People can't even stand commercials on TV so why do Sony think we'll tolerate it while watching a DVD which we purchase for the express point of NOT HAVING TO WATCH COMMERCIALS!!!!!

And don't even get me started on games. Just think of the last game you played, think about the most edge-of-your-seat moment and think about it slowing down until a commercial shows. Does that feel right? Does that seem like something you could tolerate?

The correct answer is No, Sony. Perhaps that's their plan though, make people so annoyed that they destroy their consoles and then they have to buy a new one.

PERFECTLY STABLE ECONOMIC CYCLE!

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
You know what? As much as I like Playstation, THIS IS NOT OKAY. Ads on TV? Fine. How else are channels going to get paid from people watching their broadcasts? Same with ads on the internet. But if you start interrupting my Disgaea, BlazBlue or Tales of Graces for some stupid SODA AD, I WILL NEVER PURCHASE A SONY PRODUCT AGAIN, even if it means missing out on new Kingdom Hearts, Persona or Disgaea games. Seriously. I will give up some of my most favourite games in order to send a message to Sony. I've paid for my console, I've paid for my games. If you start interrupting my paid content with advertisements for things that I don't care about, I will flip out. You've gotten your money, now leave me alone.

... It is very difficult to explain how I truly feel without resorting to profanity. I will continue to enjoy using my Playstation 3 for now, but if this is implemented, there will be hell to pay.

IrateDonnie

Apr 1, 2010
Burst6 said:
If it lets me play games for free than I'm all for it!

If this is for paid games then no, I'm not getting a ps4.
I agree 100% ads in game really bother me for some reason. I didn't mind them in games like Crackdown where they were on the billboards,but I'd have to draw the line if it stops my game for an ad. I still refuse to play Wipeout HD because every time I play it I have to watch a damn commercial before I can play.

LostCrusader

Lurker in the shadows
Feb 3, 2011
Oh the fun we would have if this happened during a multiplayer game.
Get into a good dog fight in battlefield, cut to commercial, come back with a stalling plane slamming into a mountain.

Even if the games were free, Sony can go fuck themselves if they add this to any hardware.

Draskinn

May 22, 2012
Wow I'm kind of surprised nobody seems to have hit on this yet but here goes.

I noticed a lot of you saying you'd rage if they interrupted a game you "paid" for but this would be ok in a "free" game.

The problem is your idea of what the words "free" and "paid" mean are not the same as Sony's idea.

If I buy a used game I may have "paid" for it, but I paid GameStop or Joe next door, I didn't pay Sony so to them my "paid" game is a "free" game... see where I'm going with this?

I can totally see this being the next avenue of attack on the used game market. Right now they are doing the online pass thing for used games with multiplayer but how do you get folks to buy a "pass" for single player used games? Why add ads to used games of course! Want to play without interruption? Well just buy "new" OR buy an "ad pass"!

Hate to say it but I can totally see this happening. The online passes have already set the precedent.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Tanis said:
Dear Sony,
Please keep acting like cunts and activity shitty on your user base, it's great!

-Sincerity, Nintendo
Dear Sony,
At Microsoft we may not have the greatest GPUs in our gaming systems compared to you. Now we never will have to.
Sincerely Microsoft

Mr Pantomime

Jul 10, 2010
A brilliant example of advertising not even trying to adapt to the 21st century. Seriously, theres so many great new ways to advertise in a video games, and some advertisers still think "we will just put a advertisement video in there at a random point, because thats how TV does it". Apparently no one does anything at those marketing courses.